AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-08-28, 01:45   Link #121
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Choice is a good thing.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 03:31   Link #122
Sakuya
*Artist

Doesn't this series only have 10 episodes? We're on episode 8. Only 2 more to go. I wonder how it will end? Perhaps they will find their father again?
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 13:12   Link #123
itzfurrball

Send a message via ICQ to itzfurrball Send a message via AIM to itzfurrball Send a message via Yahoo to itzfurrball
episode 8 was very sweet... and generally had less flower petals and sister-love
Kaneda Tomoko singing off-key made my day XD
itzfurrball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 19:34   Link #124
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Yeah it surprised me that they'll go for the really realistic fact that Asu just CAN'T sing. With only one week of practice, it's imposible to become a perfect singer, so she did what she can.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-08, 03:38   Link #125
NeoSam

Binbou Shimai Monogatari might get a sequel

From Anime News Service:

Quote:
Binbou Shimai Monogatari Sequel Coming
According to a September 9 entry in Episode Director Keiichi Sugiyama's blog, the Binbou Shimai Monogatari TV series may get a sequel animation. The news comes as the 9th episode (of 10) airs on TV Asahi in Japan.
Old 2006-09-10, 13:05   Link #126
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Woah that's interesting news... and here I thought I have almost finished Binbou... well, bring on the second season! More pink petals! More familial love!

Old 2006-09-15, 14:38   Link #127
itzfurrball

Send a message via ICQ to itzfurrball Send a message via AIM to itzfurrball Send a message via Yahoo to itzfurrball
so who has survived this incredibly over-acted, ridiculous and phony series. I did! yay! do I get a prize? is it something I can boast of at all?
Anyway it was fun. Kaneda Tomoko for the win.
I watched every episode a couple of times and loved this series, but I can't think of anyone to recommend it to or show it to
itzfurrball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 01:09   Link #128
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

The final episode is truly a great one. There's only ONE petal scene, and the drama is done very well. Surely a great way to end the series (along with the "Toei Effect" which showcases their series with great first and last episodes.

Old 2006-09-19, 13:52   Link #129
Kensuke

Finished this series, and I liked it. Yes, it was over-sentimental to the point of being ridicilous and even annoying, and it will not get a very high position on my favorite anime list, and there weren't any plot but as this is a slice-of-life series I didn't even expected it to have one.
Well, I have seen worse series than this and maybe it was the way the two girls were blushing all the time or overall positive mood of the series that made for me.

7½ / 10, and I'm looking forward to second season.

Spoiler for pictures:
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-19, 18:42   Link #130
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Only 10 eps eh? Shame, I'm quite enjoying it

Well, here's hoping for that second season (if you can even call 10 eps a season).
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-22, 10:45   Link #131
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Talking

I had the chance to watch the first episode last night. OMG, this show is so funny. More like cheesy! But I like cheese.

Maybe I was tired, but the way the dialogue went I couldn't help but laugh. But the character designs are soooo adorable. I can't put my finger on who the studio is that's doing it. I know I've seen these designs before. Not the story but the animation style adapting it. But I'm going to finish it out and see where the story goes.

I also see a level of "sister-complex" in this one too. Hoo boy. DOH!

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 15:03   Link #132
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Red face

I can see that this show is not everyone's cup of tea. I've been around to some blogs and it seems that people either like this show or they hate it to pieces.

The one thing I can say is that it's a pretty "safe" show. I know that it's lightheated based on it's "slice of life" premise. Definitely a show you could show a younger viewer. But I can't help but laugh at some of the stuff that goes on in this show. The "sugar" is killing me.

Oh can someone please post an image for ep. 2 of 'Asu' in the wash tub? You have to admit she looked rather cute sitting in it. All but barely.

Gotta love that quote,

"Crusts toasts, if you put filling in between them you make a sandwich."

Gotta love it.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 15:04   Link #133
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Just finished watching this one... and i can say - it was certainly not what i expected from reading the description. Ok, it was to some extent, but they sure put their backs in to sugar coting the whole thing >.>

Too Cheezy and sappy for its own good!

This is somewhere between "awww, so cute and cuddly" and "so sappy i want to bang my head against teh wall!". Moe overkill. Those rose petals in moments of sisterly love kept appearing far too often for their own good. Though i managed to start ignoring them somewhere along the road, instead of being annoyed

This is definitely one of those "feel good" titles, but you have to be careful not to get a case of diabetes while watching it

The final episode felt exaggerated as well. It seemed like they were blowing an elephant out of a fly.

I absolutely hated the little rich sister. The fact that she was perfectly ok with taking away the dinner of the two sisters who are struggling to make their ends meet and feed it to her pet alligator made me want slap her. hard. She is the type of a selfish brat that i hate with every ounce of my existence...

Now that i am done complaining - i enjoyed watching this show. This is obviously a character driven anime (because there really isn't anything else ), and i am glad that the characters kept me interested. Though Asu does seem too mature for her 9 years of age. I like Slice-of-life shows (then again - i will let you know when i find a genre i don't like ), so this was a keeper for me, and i liked it, as cheezy and unrealistic as it was at times.

Moe and sappiness overload at it's finest.
Old 2012-06-23, 05:11   Link #134
Sol Falling

Haha. Man, I just randomly stumbled across this series a little while ago. Don't really plan to pick up the anime. I'm making my way through the manga right now on account of the mangaka, Kazuto Izumi.

I guess that second season of the anime never panned out, huh? That's a bit of a shame. Anyway, I sure was surprised at all the conflict which emerged in the thread for this anime, it was pretty interesting to read through it.

Throwing my own perspective into the mix (I wonder if anyone will read it, lol), I think the first thing to make clear is that this series definitely carries yuri undertones. As I mentioned, I'm reading this series' manga due to Kazuto Izumi right now whom I recognized due to her recent series for Yuri Hime. The purpose/intention of this series, as it appears to me, is not to "idealize poverty" or preach completely pure/self-sacrificing morals or any such thing but to portray the pure and touching relationship between two sisters. Fundamentally the ability to appreciate this particular form of a pure and idealized construct will be related to one's susceptibility to the genre where such relationships emerge most prolifically, namely yuri.

Now, of course there is some degree of criticism which is justified for throwing at any pure and idealized artificial construct. Certainly, part of the appeal and function of yuri itself is in being an idealized escape from certain overwhelming aspects of both reality and other media. If one does not have a taste for the idealism Binbou Shimai Monogatari offers, certainly they might write off the whole thing as a sappy, ingenuine portrayal of reality which is completely nonsensical. However, insofar as a person is attuned to the emotional functions BSMG actually means to fulfil for the viewer, the act of enjoying it is completely natural.

Speaking in terms of the relational development which was explicitly revealed in the latest chapter I've read (ch. 20), here let me outline a simple relationship between the series' theme and its premise. Chapter 20 is about little sisters: Asu and Ginko. Over the course of the chapter Ginko observes and subsequently questions the sincerity of Asu's giving/generous (i.e. "good girl") nature; noting in particular Kyou's lax and undependable attitude around her (i.e. at home, etc.). The way that Asu responds is that no, Kyou is actually extremely dependable--working hard every morning (of course, on account of their poverty), trying to support them. That is why, what above all Asu wishes to do for Kyou is to become the one place/environment when Kyou does not have to work hard; i.e. to become the one setting around whom Kyou can relax. Thus you can see, how poverty acts as the driver specifically strengthening and informing Kyou and Asu's relationship. The purpose is not to portray a "realistic" story of poverty which is somehow conveniently overcome by two sister's love for each other. Rather, as is a fairly common premise within yuri, the story fundamentally begins with the premise that love (between two girls) can conquer anything; and then it introduces poverty as the source of strife/conflict in order to play out this iteration of the story, in that setting.

This has been a post hopefully communicating how, even if that value did not specifically appeal to you (or, indeed, any great portion of the anime industry/fan community as a matter of history)--this anime certainly managed to create and convey some value to a specific portion of the anime-watching audience.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, seinen