AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2007-06-08, 10:24   Link #181
GammaRed

Oh one more thing!

I bathed my Neffue while I was in the bath till he was 8 yrs old. I never saw a problem with it, because he was sexually immature, and maybe asked why I had different parts, but that was only inquisitiveness!

I never in any way thought wot I was doing was criminal. Or molestation. I mean I am an adult woman, who is attracted to adult men.

If I helped a youth bathe or washed there hair post that "age" I would call it nothing more than pampering. Witch firmly falls in to the category of family bliss!

But maybe I just incriminated myself by saying these things. Who knows!
GammaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 10:35   Link #182
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaRed View Post
Incest... That's ridicules... I am sorry, but the only law against relatives getting married is in the case of First and Second cousins. and the law is not against the morality of it, its to prevent genetic defects due to inbreeding. In Canada at least, 3rd and 4th cousins can marry without any problem, and in some cases Second (altho its a bit unheard of) I guess this is just another example of the closemindedness of, "the West"
As far as I know there is no law in any State against 2nd cousin marriage and a number allow 1st cousin marriage. Prior to the Model T Ford, when the vast majority of people never went further than 50 miles from where they were born, most of the potential marriage partners would have been related to them. And, any adult sibling - sibling or parent - child who want to bonk legally can just move to the Netherlands. There the law only stipulates that they have to be concenting adults. Family relationships don't matter.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 11:02   Link #183
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Very roughly, it translates as:
Okay, you can laugh/cry/rollyoureyes now.... "It can't be helped."

oh god...*tries to do all 3 at the same time*
they are all looking at the wrong way...seriously what active imaginations ~ and if it was about the relationship between adults i dont see what the problem is...(at first i though it was about child incest which could have raised an issue but this is just pretty immature of them >.<)
Quote:
Similarly, as a kindergartener in Volume 2, Rin-chan took a bath with Reiji, who washed her head. However, in America, a small child can only take a bath alone. An adult, even a parent, who takes a bath with a child would be arrested—that made me realize the differences in cultures.
i should say good luck with not drowning

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 11:09   Link #184
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll repeat for those of you worried about bathing with your kid or cousin-marriage, neither issue Watashiya brought up is actually true or illegal in most parts of the US. It just shows that she's scratching her head in confusion and she has misconceptions about the kaleidoscope of irrationally developed moral systems we have here. She doesn't seem to have yet actually looked at the news releases and blogs that SSE have released on the matter.

But what is true is that the irrational won out in this incident (I could draw some parallels to some recent events but I think they're obvious to people paying attention). I can only suggest that people take the incentive and learn japanese or ((wait for the scanlations)). Buying the books even if you can't read them, of course, is the best way to support her.

@Candyvanman: actually, what I see going on is that those who stopped it (both in SSE and elsewhere) are in a talking point defensive mode of: "there's only one way to interpret this and if you disagree you're a pedo" .... no better way to silence a debate, eh? :P

@FatPianoBoy: The events in the book that freaked SSE (and subsequently their publishers whom I think reacted more to SSE's panic than any actual assessment) involved a "we're locked in a cold storage locker). In short
Spoiler for volume three event that had some people so appalled:

I will speculate that her and her publisher will simply drop the idea of licensing the series over here. I'm going to wander into my local Kinokuniya and see if its on the shelf
(I already have the three volumes but I'm curious)

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-06-08 at 11:38.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 11:26   Link #185
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Buying the books even if you can't read them, of course, is the best way to support her.
On that note, I'll like to point out that the Limited Edition of Vol.3 with this figure :-

Is still avaliable at Amazon JP.

With regards to my scanlations, I've already translated up till Chapter 9, but apparently my typesetter is still busy with Chapter 6. I choose not to bother him and let nature takes it course.

But if anyone is getting impatient, I can apply some pressure...
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 12:24   Link #186
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Chapter 6 got released. Never was impatient with this series, now I am though. I really want to know what's the deal with konoe's home situation. The guardian seems like a good guy though. I hope the reason why Konoe is mature isn't (wrote is instead of isn't >.<), because of sexual abuse would kill the series for me. If they use that plot devise. Personally I think it's because of the loss of parents that she needed to grow up fast.

I doubt Aoki is a pedo. Even if he is he won't act on those feelings. He looks like a straight up good guy.

Last edited by 2H-Dragon; 2007-06-08 at 13:17.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 12:29   Link #187
grgspunk

Thanks for releasing chapter 6!
grgspunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 12:44   Link #188
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@ 2H-Dragon: fortunately, I will say its a lot more complicated (mixed feelings, etc) but everyone is *trying* to do the right thing.

One thing KnJ is not is a "light" comedy .... there are comedic elements but they're just lures to get you tapped into the dramatic undertones.
Old 2007-06-08, 13:50   Link #189
Hayami
lonely soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I can only suggest that people take the incentive and learn japanese or ((wait for the scanlations)).
Not everyone has the same talent/ability to learn foreign languages. Many people are so busy with family, work, etc. that it would take many years to learn, especially in case of language like Japanese. An advice to learn Japanese... well, I don't want to say anything offensive, but I don't like it at all... Otherwise I really enjoy your posts, Vexx, I don't know why you need to say something like this.

Also what would happen if suddenly every tolerant anime/manga fan (or may be even every tolerant person, everyone who truly believes in free speech/expression) would suddenly (lets's say with help of some magic or technology) switch to another language? Perhaps we wouldn't need even an English forum. We would be among the like-minded people and the rest of the world would stagnate even more. Till one day the two societies clash in RL. I'm sure that a confrontation is unavoidable sooner or later. And then you wouldn't be able even to import these books from Japan, then the only option would be to emigrate.

I for one hope that one day there will be a publisher in USA, UK, NL or any other country (as long they print it in English) who tries to support every group of anime/manga fans regardless of whatever moral outrage it would cause. Isn't there even a single rich and free speech loving otaku in this world? I'm not rich but I definitely would donate some money if someone started such a project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Buying the books even if you can't read them, of course, is the best way to support her.
Why should we? see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watashiya in her blog | ANN | Vexx

To those exemplary Americans that are saying, "I wanted to read it," I would perhaps say, "Well then, there is the original."

If I was in her position I sure would say something else. Something along the lines:

" To my dear fans in USA and all other people who hoped to read my work in English - thank you for your support!
I am really sorry for you.... As of now there is nothing we can do. Let's hope some other publisher is daring enough to release it. "

I would say it because that's how I would feel, I think. Not to win sympathies.

If she said this I would be more than willing to buy the Japanese version (may be even twice) and every figure I can find on amazon.jp etc.

If you were trying to publish your book in Japan (originally printed in USA in English), the fans were waiting for 6 months and the Japanese release was cancelled because of an outrage among some or even many Japanese, would you say:
" To these exemplary Japanese - well then, you still can learn English and import my book from USA. " ?

And she says this even though her English isn't good enough to find and understand the most important articles about her own books.

Is she making ALL Americans accountable for the sabotage of her book's release by a closed-minded minority(majority)? ( let alone all the people who import anime/manga from USA )

Or she just doesn't give a damn about anyone who doesn't speak Japanese?

Few days ago I found out that some of my (ex?)friends jig in delight that the US KnJ release was cancelled ( because they can get the scanlations now !! ). After that I thought nothing can shock me anymore, yet I was wrong.

Btw. I do own a Rin figure already... But my motivation to read this manga or even to look at Rin diminished quite a bit after reading the quote above...
Old 2007-06-08, 13:58   Link #190
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Um... you seem awfully angry? I think you misunderstood the currents in that post?

1) What *I* meant was that a reader would either have to learn japanese or wait for the scanlations. If you ever *wanted* to learn japanese, there's another incentive. How you got the impression you got I can't say. Since the books aren't going to happen here -- those *are* the alternatives.

2) You're missing HER context in reading that translation. She's exhibiting a Very Japanese Tradition which is stated in the proverb "It can't be helped." Japanese tend to be very fatalistic in these situations (where the government or their superiors or the system conflict with what they'd like to happen). It would not be her place to diss her Japanese publisher's American partners (even if they are clueless). Your suggestion about what to say is essentially what she said... but in Japanese (where much is left implicit).

3) She's trying to understand what happened over here but she's constrained by her minimal understanding of english and a misunderstanding of just what torqued the bookburners off. She may not even know SSE has a blog as she's in the same boat as an english speaker trying to make sense of japanese websites.
She, like most Japanese, is also not really aware that America consists of many different stripes of attitudes.

4) She's trying to be helpful since the books won't get published, suggesting alternate access .... its all she can do.

Really.. you took that just completely the wrong way. I will say you made a good choice in adding the (ex) in front of your "friends" that think "oh good its free now". They're just exhibiting another thing wrong with our culture.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-06-08 at 14:12.
Old 2007-06-08, 14:30   Link #191
Hayami
lonely soul

Yet I can't sense any sympathy/compassion towards her foreign fans. But may be it's also encoded in Japanese... >_>

And why not give it another chance, why assume right away that nobody ever publishes it? (you said too it sounds like they gave up) You say it's just a Japanese tendence to be fatalistic, but what I can't understand it: If you like someone you want to fight for him/her, no? Shouldn't she fight for her fans? Instead of this "...well then..." It sounds like she doesn't care anymore.

/edit
One more thing that I find strange: does she have not a single friend who speaks Japanese AND English? Not a native speaker but someone who can find and translate the articles for her. The fans have been waiting for 6 months but she's not interested to befriend even a single foreign fan? I'm sure many would love to talk with her and help her...

Last edited by Hayami; 2007-06-08 at 14:46.
Hayami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 14:48   Link #192
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd love it if she'd fight... but that's more of an American trait to buck or go around your superiors. I'd read between the lines that she may hope that her publishers seek someone else to license it but she really can't suggest that in public. So far her publishers have been completely silent on the matter.

Her publishers are the ones who will take whatever course there is to be taken (its not her place to decide what her publishers do).

The japanese manga industry is only in the last few years reflecting on the idea that there's a market outside the US for such 'japanese' material. They can't quite wrap their heads around the notion or are simply comfortable with their known market. This idea that America is interested in their pop culture is just... well... I've been asked by japanese more than a few times: "but WHY do you want to learn Japanese? WHY are you interested in Shinto or Buddhism? WHY do you like j-music/anime/manga?" Its a very interesting attitude and probably worth a few psychological theses.

I speculate her publishers may be discussing the ramifications of the license situation internally and whether they want to try again with another American publisher (they may think SSE's actions somehow reflect badly on them and don't want to risk more loss of face) Also... if I understand how things tend to work at the moment, japanese publishers don't usually seek out American publishers. Its more the case that interested American publishers seek them out.

So... if no American publisher comes forth and says, "hell, we'll do it" ... its dead here (and "the children have been saved" (not)).

It pretty much sucks in most respects. Irrationality won this round.
Old 2007-06-08, 16:19   Link #193
bleakessence

@hayami
I don't seem to sense the snobbiness/lack of concern that you seem to feel in Watashiya's blog entry. What I do sense is some major disappointment masked with words of respect and advice.

What I also noticed in her entry is her confirmation that the differences in culture between both countries are *way* too much right now for her manga to go mainstream in America just yet. This realization is probably what makes her say such things in her blog, instead of fighting for KnJ's release abroad.

@chapter six
Like to point out two possible errors:
*page 4, middle scene: "...disliking a certain essay, when make my visit."
*page 23, lowest-left scene: I think that's an empty "shout" balloon in front of the teacher's face... is it?

Despite Rin's perky character, I detect a strong whiff of a new kind of moe! Not the usual "weak and helpless crybaby" kind of moe, but a "pain and angst covered up with a precocious/strong-willed facade" type of moe. o_O;

Quote:
Few days ago I found out that some of my (ex?)friends jig in delight that the US KnJ release was cancelled ( because they can get the scanlations now !! ). After that I thought nothing can shock me anymore, yet I was wrong.
I'll be blunt: I'm one of those who benefits from the scanlations. My city has absolutely zero sources for anime/manga. The only manga shop I knew (and was well hidden to boot) closed down years ago. So the only way for me to enjoy my anime/manga are either bootlegged copies or fansubs/scanlations. I choose the lesser (and cheaper) of the two evils
bleakessence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 16:21   Link #194
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
@FatPianoBoy: The events in the book that freaked SSE (and subsequently their publishers whom I think reacted more to SSE's panic than any actual assessment) involved a "we're locked in a cold storage locker). In short
Spoiler for volume three event that had some people so appalled:
I'm trying very, very hard to quell the homocidal rage building inside me.
Spoiler for maybe TMI?:

A new theory is beginning to form in my head: Seven Seas backed out when the retailers backed out. However, with their reputation of being so fan-friendly, they'd lose face admitting that it was due to not being able to make enough of a profit to warrant a release. Heck, even selling what they had already printed would have been better than what they did, as it would recoup some of the losses. However, they searched for something that seemed to cross the line and sent their scapegoat off into the wilderness.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 16:27   Link #195
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
question here is if the publisher just looked at the pages and just thought "OMG HES AROUSED!" or if they knew the actually story behind it all ~ being the former they are ignorant to judge a book by it's cover...if being the latter they are just really dumb (stubbon? close minded?)...

anyway just read chapter 6 ~
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 19:53   Link #196
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

There's still a glimmering hope for an official Western release.

Recall Kite. It was originally banned in many countries due to the sexual scenes but today it sees an complete uncensored release in public.

Granted that Kite was originally a pronographical release in Japan and the uncensored western release is also published under a pronographical label.

KnJ can opt for the same route, but I think it deserves better and I'm sure Watashiya agrees.
Old 2007-06-08, 20:09   Link #197
GammaRed

Question The same goes for women!

I can't say I know wot goes on in a mans pants except from my own experiments and results *smirks evilly* But Women also have similar responses to very mild stimuli.

Any healthy woman can become physically sexually aroused without being mentally aroused, with very little stimulation. Wearing Tight jeans for example... I know the crux of the situation is with Aoki having a unwanted reaction to wot is perfectly normal in men, but my point is, the same could be said if it was a woman and a Boy in the same situation.

I know this has been talked about a lot, but I thought that I would add that it can happen to women too. (becoming physically aroused against there will)
Old 2007-06-08, 20:13   Link #198
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ah well... at this point, I notice that gomanga.com has locked yet another thread in their Talkback section with some 'yet another' reformulation of their position.
Time to move on as they're no longer relevant. American publication is dead for the time being and probably will be, until enough volumes come out that a different publisher feels safer taking the series on.

So lets just enjoy the manga (and/or scanlations) and bid SSE adieu as they publish "He is My Master" and various fine family-friendly yaoi/yuri with 'underage by American standards' characters.
(please note my tongue was stuck firmly in my cheek as I have no objection to anything they've published whether it makes me cringe or not -- I've had plenty of "iron" today)

I may see if I can write/contact the author Watashiya and make a pathetic attempt to provide some insight about America's bizarre culture (versus Japan's bizarre culture). She might like to know that a few of us "get it".

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-06-08 at 20:24.
Old 2007-06-08, 20:21   Link #199
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
I may see if I can write/contact the author Watashiya and make a pathetic attempt to provide some insight about America's bizarre culture (versus Japan's bizarre culture).
watashiyakaworu●yahoo.co.jp

Now get your rori waifu to translate whatever words you have in mind and write in to her.

I'm sure Watashiya is interested in the POV of a person that understands both the Japanese culture and the American mentality.

Do post Watashiya's reply up if and when she does.

PS :-
You might want to make mention that.....some of her fans are unofficially translating KnJ in hope that people will.....see the light.

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2007-06-09 at 09:54.
Old 2007-06-08, 20:33   Link #200
GammaRed

But dose she understand the english alphabet? Or would it have to be totaly in konji?

Oh and for anyone who hasnt been to Gomanga forums, as of June 5th, all threads haveing to do with Nympeht [Kodomo no Jikan] have been LOCKED by the sight admin Adam Arnold. Efectivly closeing off any discussions that may or may not have influenced them.

Last edited by GammaRed; 2007-06-08 at 20:58.

Tags
comedy, growing up, loli, school life, seinen