AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-07-13, 14:18   Link #6641
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Please use the related episode thread if you want to discuss about a certain game and give your opinion about it.
This thread is dedicated only for anything related to the translation project.
Old 2011-07-13, 23:28   Link #6642
Ozimul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozimul View Post
I'm having some trouble with the BGM folders for Chiru (ep. 7)... I know I need folders BGM, BGM0, and BGM2, but what songs should be in which folder??
Hello....?
Ozimul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 23:44   Link #6643
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Well, for starters, why aren't the songs in their proper folders to begin with? They should be in there by default.
Old 2011-07-15, 10:47   Link #6644
Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman6510 View Post
When I got to the end of the EP7 50% patch, it just said "End of patch" and kicked me back to the main menu.
Looks like I'll just keep reading till it kicks me otut then lol. And as for the translation progress, is there any updates?
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 11:25   Link #6645
Ozimul

I was moving them around so I could convert the files from .oggs to .mp3s. All the songs are there but the file's names are all wrong now.
Old 2011-07-15, 14:44   Link #6646
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Well, I'm not even sure if the VN will pla them in VN form. You probably should have copied and pasted so that the original files didn't have to go anywhere.
Old 2011-07-15, 16:05   Link #6647
Ozimul

Well, I was able to fix it before by just renaming the BGM folders.

Oh well. Guess I can wait for EP8.
Old 2011-07-16, 02:59   Link #6648
Zero Sora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozimul View Post
Well, I was able to fix it before by just renaming the BGM folders.

Oh well. Guess I can wait for EP8.
Well you could uninstall and then reinstall Episode 7, then use the Ep 7 patch and you be fine. Just don't mess with the songs next time.
Zero Sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 19:03   Link #6649
Kishin
Hanyuu's #1 Fan

So far unless I'm forgetting, Witch-Hunt was able to release their current EP before the next one came out at Comiket. EP8 was said to be much harder to translate than the others so will the chain be broken here or do you guys think you can make it by the summer comi? Either way I'd just be happy to read it but I'm curious
Old 2011-07-16, 19:16   Link #6650
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

They may not make it, but let us hold to the faith. *puts hands together* Let us pray.

In the beginning was the Seacats, and in the Seacats was the beginning...
Old 2011-07-16, 21:13   Link #6651
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishin View Post
So far unless I'm forgetting, Witch-Hunt was able to release their current EP before the next one came out at Comiket. EP8 was said to be much harder to translate than the others so will the chain be broken here or do you guys think you can make it by the summer comi? Either way I'd just be happy to read it but I'm curious
They weren't able to get Episode 3 out in time. (OTOH, the time from autumn to winter Comiket is shorter than the other way around.)
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 14:13   Link #6652
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
They weren't able to get Episode 3 out in time. (OTOH, the time from autumn to winter Comiket is shorter than the other way around.)
Yeah, the four months between NatsuComi and FuyuComi isn't really a lot. I'm actually really impressed by how fast Witch Hunt have got their translations out in the past. In fact, I'm impressed by their efforts for the Episode 8 translation. Sure, it's taking a while, but it could be far, far worse.
Yirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 14:28   Link #6653
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Remember that Chrono only joined us and became the main translator on August 2008, releasing the first half of Episode 1 just when Episode 3 was released. That means that between the 4 months period between ep3 et and ep4, episode 1 (second half) episode 2 and episode 3 were on the way.

Anyway, I have no additional news or updates to communicate, so I'm afraid you will have to be patient.
Old 2011-07-17, 16:38   Link #6654
cronnoponno

I suck at foreign languages, how does Translating work anyway? I know you guys couldn't translate a few exclusive words, and had to explain some mannerism's(which was a really helpful touch in understanding some things better), but how do you guys take a sentence? I heard their grammar is extremely different from English.

So when there is a Japanese sentence, what do you guys do? Do you translate it literally, then re-arrange the grammar to fit English(if that's even possible)? Or do you find a very similar sounding sentence that basically fits with the overall message a sentence brings? Sometimes I see translations that make no sense, or have weird structure, like: Guy 1: ''I am getting the attacked!'' Guy 2: ''Surely that is not it is?!?'', but translations like this group and many others translate things into something that can be completely understood, and even on the words that cannot really be melded into English are given an explanation. Which really confuses me.
cronnoponno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 17:00   Link #6655
Kishin
Hanyuu's #1 Fan

lol I only started umineko when I got my copy of EP4 so I've only had three eps of release experience. Witch-Hunt is probably the most dedicated VN translation group atm as far as I'm aware, glad that we all know things are still progressing unlike a few VNs I know that havnt been updated in over a year. I was just curious if things were looking good atm for a rease before summer comi
Old 2011-07-17, 19:20   Link #6656
Madman6510
Child of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronnoponno View Post
I suck at foreign languages, how does Translating work anyway? I know you guys couldn't translate a few exclusive words, and had to explain some mannerism's(which was a really helpful touch in understanding some things better), but how do you guys take a sentence? I heard their grammar is extremely different from English.
When you translate, you would read the sentence as is in Japanese, understand what it's saying, then write what communicates the same meaning and feeling in English. Sometimes the direct literal translation isn't the best way, and it sounds funky in English.

Of course, when I end up doing it (since I can't read Japanese very well), I have to write the sentence out word for word using the Japanese grammatical structure (subject object verb, BTW) after looking up the words, then reorder it so it makes sense in English, except for very basic sentences where I actually understand everything, lol.
Madman6510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 19:32   Link #6657
cronnoponno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman6510 View Post
When you translate, you would read the sentence as is in Japanese, understand what it's saying, then write what communicates the same meaning and feeling in English. Sometimes the direct literal translation isn't the best way, and it sounds funky in English.

Of course, when I end up doing it (since I can't read Japanese very well), I have to write the sentence out word for word using the Japanese grammatical structure (subject object verb, BTW) after looking up the words, then reorder it so it makes sense in English, except for very basic sentences where I actually understand everything, lol.

So, can you give me an example of a Japanese sounding sentence in English, then show me what it re-arranges to in English? That sounds easier than I thought if it's how I think it is, while learning what word is what word seems to be the hard part.
Old 2011-07-17, 19:38   Link #6658
Madman6510
Child of Man

Ok, a few simple examples...

僕は羽入です。
boku wa Hanyuu desu.
I (topic) Hanyuu is.
I'm Hanyuu.

トイレはどこですか?
toire wa doko desu ka?
toilet (topic) where is (question)?
Where's the bathroom?

And something that makes sense in Japanese, but has to be changed a bit to make sense in English
ここはどこですか?
koko wa doko desu ka?
here (topic) where is (question)?
Here is where? -> Where am I?

Last edited by Madman6510; 2011-07-17 at 19:44. Reason: Wow, I totally screwed up the last one.
Madman6510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 19:40   Link #6659
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The plain example I used before: ここはどこですか.
If you translate it literally, you have a gargled sentence like this "here is where"... okay I'm exaggerating, of course, rather "Where is it [it being the place the person is talking about]".

Generally speaking, you would rather pull a "where am I / where are we" instead: the original japanese sentence is actually putting the question on the location, but it can be conveyed like this.

Of course, this sentence can be read differently depending of the context. In such cases, things like "Where is this place" would imply emphasis on the place/location the character is talking about. Although this is more or less insignifiant.
Old 2011-07-17, 19:44   Link #6660
cronnoponno

Wow, thanks for the examples! I could actually understand the Hanyuu one, the simplicity gave me a much better understanding.

But with the last example, that seems much, much harder to determine....I can see why Translation needs a lot of time now. I was reading a little bit on Korean to help me with MMO's that are in Korean, and as I was reading about this I was thinking...''Wow I can actually learn this if I study it''. But I tried looking at Japanese, the huge huge amount of symbols just did me in.

I noticed with your Japanese writings there are no spaces, how does one determine where the words end?

Does 僕は羽入です basically mean bokuwaHanyuudesu.(Is desu basically a period for certain accents?)?

Must be really hard for WH to figure these out, even with great experience with the language...

Tags
translation