AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-31, 22:25   Link #81
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Oh yes, there's tragedy alright.
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-01, 21:59   Link #82
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I usually think that someone is up to no good if they are trying to collect something from another person. The person not wanting to fork it over is prob in trouble.

12 swords were prob dispersed for a good reason and bringing them together is prob not a good thing I bet.
Old 2010-01-02, 12:07   Link #83
Westlo
Lets be reality

I read Andrew C's rather negative review of Katanagatari (he remains optimistic about the anime though), the tragedy part is in the last novel correct?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 12:17   Link #84
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I read Andrew C's rather negative review of Katanagatari (he remains optimistic about the anime though), the tragedy part is in the last novel correct?
Simple answer, yip.

Complicated answer (also not complicated), whole thing's a tragedy.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 15:29   Link #85
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
How can you give a novel a bad review, but support the anime? That sounds just plain retarded. If it's a bad plot then there really is nothing there to salvage an anime, even if the animations good. Sure wish I could read the novels for myself so we wouldn't have to rely on one person's crummy review.
Old 2010-01-02, 15:51   Link #86
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Simple answer, yip.

Complicated answer (also not complicated), whole thing's a tragedy.
*reads C's review*

Well if the protag has to use her body to get the guy to work for her, that is a tragedy in itself imo.

I'm still willing to give the anime a shot.
Old 2010-01-02, 15:53   Link #87
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
*reads C's review*

Weii if the protag has to use her body to get the guy to work for her, that is a tragedy in itself imo.

I'm still willing to give the anime a shot.
Waaaaa, review is wrong! She didn't use her body!!! What blasphemy is this?!?!
Old 2010-01-02, 16:11   Link #88
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelLuvsPnut View Post
How can you give a novel a bad review, but support the anime? That sounds just plain retarded. If it's a bad plot then there really is nothing there to salvage an anime, even if the animations good. Sure wish I could read the novels for myself so we wouldn't have to rely on one person's crummy review.
Well I'll quote him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C
I think Katanagatari failed for three primary reasons - the schedule, which was a stunt thing involving churning out a book a month for an entire year (and seems to have encouraged him to pad the fuck out of the books with 30 page recaps and write books even when he clearly didn't have a good idea); the structure, where each book has them up against a new sword, and basically locked him into a structure of long on the road conversation followed by introduction of the new sword wielder and sword and then a brief action scene to recover it; and the two lead characters, who have to be the two most boring people he's ever created, and who have absolutely no chemistry whatsoever.
Obviously the anime won't be having the equivalent of 30 page recaps... Anyway later on when he posted that Kata cm on his blog.

Quote:
I wound up being ultimately really disappointed in the novels, but I have a sneaking suspicion they'll work much better animated. Production values look better than expected, and I dig that they've stuck so closely to take's art style.
Some stuff can work better in a different medium.. and most adaptions are changed in some manner anyway.. Also Katanagatari is generally regarded as the weakest series that Nisio has done (12 books in 12 months is probably why), his others being Bakemonogatari and his first (and seems to be his best) series in Zaregoto.
Old 2010-01-02, 16:22   Link #89
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Waaaaa, review is wrong! She didn't use her body!!! What blasphemy is this?!?!
People nowadays can't tell vulgarity apart from boldness.
"It's okay to fall in love with me" part is beautiful.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 20:21   Link #90
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
People nowadays can't tell vulgarity apart from boldness.
"It's okay to fall in love with me" part is beautiful.
Boldness has nothing to do with this imo. It's not beautiful at all from the quote I read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C's review

His sword school does not use swords -- he would not want the swords for himself.
So why should he help her?
"Because you will fall in love with me."
It implies she is using her body. I'm willing to give it a shot because her designs and the video clip suggest otherwise.
Old 2010-01-02, 20:56   Link #91
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
It implies she is using her body. I'm willing to give it a shot because her designs and the video clip suggest otherwise.
I don't think using your body is the only way to make someone fall in love with you ...
Old 2010-01-02, 21:38   Link #92
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Doesn't this novel series also have a spin-off? I read something to that effect on wiki, but then again it's Wiki.
Old 2010-01-02, 21:49   Link #93
Kunagisa

Quote:
Doesn't this novel series also have a spin-off? I read something to that effect on wiki, but then again it's Wiki.
Yip, Maniwagatari, another volume will be released this year as well supposedly.
Old 2010-01-03, 06:19   Link #94
Akuseru

I`m sorry if i(possibly) post it in the wrong thread. I`m planning on eng-ru fansubbing of Katanagatari, and i`d like to get as much info as possible, but i`m not as good with japanese as i want. Can you please tell me something?
1. Does this light novel have english translation? (i already doubt it, but i`m much used to manga and haven`t had a chance to read light novels atm)
2. Is there any way to know what fansubbing group will take it? or maybe someone already took this job?
sorry for bad engrish. (sorry, for that i already found an answer. first question still is)

Last edited by Akuseru; 2010-01-03 at 06:35.
Akuseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 07:20   Link #95
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
1. Does this light novel have english translation? (i already doubt it, but i`m much used to manga and haven`t had a chance to read light novels atm)
No, it doesn't.

Last edited by Daniel Lind; 2010-02-02 at 06:48.
Old 2010-01-03, 13:02   Link #96
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
I don't think using your body is the only way to make someone fall in love with you ...
True, but she prob doesn't have over a year for him to decide to start to get the swords.
Old 2010-01-03, 13:58   Link #97
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

O tempora, o mores
Old 2010-01-03, 14:18   Link #98
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Sounds like the reviewer despised the tragic ending to me. He/she hopes for more cheerful, walking into sunset ending type I suppose.

Just my speculation.
Old 2010-01-03, 14:33   Link #99
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Sounds like the reviewer despised the tragic ending to me. He/she hopes for more cheerful, walking into sunset ending type I suppose.

Just my speculation.
That's quite possible. Kinda similar how...
Spoiler for Gurren Lagann:
Old 2010-01-03, 14:38   Link #100
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post

Just my speculation.
Haha trust me, that's not the case.

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, edo setting, light novel adaptation, nishio, romance, tragedy