AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-10-13, 02:03   Link #141
Cosmic Eagle
YOMOTSUHIRASAKA
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: DP 原画 --> ヨハネ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
BL is bad in the same reasoning why otaku pandering is bad, it's a cheap trick on the author's part to increase sales.
By that reasoning when you see stuff that you like, it's a cheap trick to increase sales from others with similar taste
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 02:08   Link #142
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 31
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Man..... I have yaoi vibes..... Must recheck false+ readings... I see three girls in the ED... must wait.. >_>
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 02:09   Link #143
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Aboa Qu
I think that arguments demands that all things that draw people to media are creating equal. And while there is an argument to that effect, I think it's safe to say that good dialouge or an intiresting art style can be considered a more worthwhile to like something then the fact that you think the charachters are sexy. At the very least it isn't a cheap trick considering that actually putting work into improving quality is hard.
__________________
For more from me, follow my writing at http://sekijitsu.com. To get easy accesses to our newest posts, please consider liking our brand spanking new Facebook Page.
ZabiLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 02:21   Link #144
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
It was Kotetsu being Kotetsu moment even though he's seriously injured.
it was indeed a moment of "godamnit Kotetsu stop joking around at the time like this!"

though if taken out of context you do get people who didn't watch the show misinterpreting it
__________________
[TAC]
[TAC]
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 02:42   Link #145
kuromitsu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZabiLegacy View Post
I think that arguments demands that all things that draw people to media are creating equal. And while there is an argument to that effect, I think it's safe to say that good dialouge or an intiresting art style can be considered a more worthwhile to like something then the fact that you think the charachters are sexy. At the very least it isn't a cheap trick considering that actually putting work into improving quality is hard.
You sound awfully like a hypocrite, though. Especially with your signature. (And frankly, while I like the character designs in Samurai Flamenco they're not exactly what I'd call "sexy.")

This thread has become something really ridiculous, seriously, one would think the main characters were prancing around half-naked all the time and the writers were making double entendres, instead of, you know, doing absolutely nothing like that, at all. They might, in the future (although I really doubt), but for now - nope, nothing. I get it that some people are allergic to anything that might be constructed as vaguely gay if you squint very hard, but I'm seriously wondering if I watched the same show as you.

And as for Masayoshi being a model, because this appears to have been what set the overreactions off - did you actually pay attention to what the show was trying to say with him being a model, or were you just too hung up on "OMG MALE MODEL = GAAAY"?
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 02:53   Link #146
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Aboa Qu
It's the site's banner. It wasn't my choice. Plus, if anyone declares that there is something wrong about Yoko's writing or the art then I will challenge them to a duel.

Granted, I will agree with most of what you have to say. I was making that point about the answer above. Samurai flamenco isn't THAT bad about it. It's enough that it bothers me, but it isn't so bad it takes the whole show down.

Actually that is a nice segway. I do think there is some merit to the idea of making him someone who doesn't actually do anything as part of his job. It could be achieved just as easily with a bunch of other options, but there is something to be said about the idea of giving him the motivation to be a super hero less out of desire to be a hero and more out of a desire to actually do something.
__________________
For more from me, follow my writing at http://sekijitsu.com. To get easy accesses to our newest posts, please consider liking our brand spanking new Facebook Page.
ZabiLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 03:01   Link #147
Blaat
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
By that reasoning when you see stuff that you like, it's a cheap trick to increase sales from others with similar taste
Depends on fully whether the pandering is quick and easy to pull off (otaku pandering and BL usually is), hence the use of words cheap trick.
__________________
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 03:23   Link #148
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 27
This argument are very pathetic with the fact we even have it.
__________________
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 05:39   Link #149
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Queensland, Australia
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
You sound awfully like a hypocrite, though. Especially with your signature. (And frankly, while I like the character designs in Samurai Flamenco they're not exactly what I'd call "sexy.")

This thread has become something really ridiculous, seriously, one would think the main characters were prancing around half-naked all the time and the writers were making double entendres, instead of, you know, doing absolutely nothing like that, at all. They might, in the future (although I really doubt), but for now - nope, nothing. I get it that some people are allergic to anything that might be constructed as vaguely gay if you squint very hard, but I'm seriously wondering if I watched the same show as you.

And as for Masayoshi being a model, because this appears to have been what set the overreactions off - did you actually pay attention to what the show was trying to say with him being a model, or were you just too hung up on "OMG MALE MODEL = GAAAY"?
The last couple of pages really has me scratching my head. It didn't even occur to me that there were those kinds of "hints" in the show until I read this thread. Even then, it's more of a "oh, I can see that. If you really want it to be the case..." thing, rather than blatant in-your-face kind of stuff.
Sound of Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 05:45   Link #150
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kobe, Japan
It all boils back down to the glaring hypocrisy that exists among anime fandom. Yuri is A-OK, but even a completely non-sexual friendship between two guys is met with horrified charges of rampant BL. It's tiresome, but the cycle has repeated itself so many times by now that at least it isn't surprising.

Think back over the last few years - how many series that prominently feature male friendship have we had that haven't been met with a swathe of homophobic outrage? Granted we haven't had that many, period, but even so I'm hard-pressed to think of even one or two.

And merely the fact that a series may have prompted fujoshi-targeted doujins doesn't mean there was anything implied by the show itself. If every anime that inspired a hundred yuri doujins actually had any real yuri subtext, yuri would be the biggest genre in anime.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 05:59   Link #151
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZabiLegacy View Post
If flamenco had been a girl, and he walked in on her naked in an alley, what would your analysis of the scene have been like? Would you still say she wasn't being remotely objectified, would you still say that there wasn't an overabundance of subtext?
Similar scenes have been done before with female characters. Maybe not in an alley but being naked sure.

Anyways being naked is not a problem, its where the image might loom. This is why I said the scene was very tame.

The naked scene had a plot point. The cop saw the guy and confronts him because normal people don't stand in an alley naked. And then he says the line "I am not crazy, I am a super hero" which makes him sound even crazier.

My first thought during that scene was t sexy but if I saw a naked guy in the alley Id run the other way. So I am pretty sure "this guy is a weirdo" was supposed to be our first impression.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 06:04   Link #152
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It all boils back down to the glaring hypocrisy that exists among anime fandom. Yuri is A-OK, but even a completely non-sexual friendship between two guys is met with horrified charges of rampant BL. It's tiresome, but the cycle has repeated itself so many times by now that at least it isn't surprising.
I agree, but you're going a tad too far in calling that hypocrisy though. There's nothing wrong in a straight man disliking BL.

Anyways guys let's just stop this. Personally I think you're just not too familiar with the anime BL subtext if you can't see it in this anime. I personally am fine with it, but I also think it's kinda silly to argue "it's not there at all". It's there for those "conditioned" to see them, and not for those who didn't. I mean, that's the whole point of being a 'subtext'. No need to drag this out
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 06:09   Link #153
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Goggles sure needs some cleaning
__________________
[TAC]
[TAC]
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 06:14   Link #154
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
Goggles sure needs some cleaning
or taken off completely if people are really that turned off.
not me though, the subtext just adds a little more spice to an already awesome show for me.
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 06:26   Link #155
Fevvers
a regular van veen
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
I really wanted to like the show; I adore Omori Takahiro's Baccano and some of his Haibane Renmei episodes... sadly this is a miss for me. I like the whole down-to-earth superhero thing the show has going, however the whole thing just came across dull for me. And I can't stand Masayoshi's holier than thou personality (seriously his speech towards those kids were just, come on!); if he were younger perhaps I'd be a bit more accepting. Goto I mildly find interesting at least, though I can't help but think Gintoki whenever he speaks (heh).
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 07:36   Link #156
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hokkaido
Age: 69
If the discussion of every episode is going to be greeted with pages of nit-picking about possible homosexuality, I for one will not be posting in this thread for very long. Enough already. Let's move along.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 08:28   Link #157
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I agree, but you're going a tad too far in calling that hypocrisy though. There's nothing wrong in a straight man disliking BL.
But there is about screaming outrage when a series (possibly) uses a BL angle to draw in watchers while giving a thumbs up about other forms of pandering. If you really can't stand it, don't watch, but don't come here to claim your shit doesn't stink.

I mean, I like breasts as much as the next man, but let's not pretend Yoko wearing a bikini top instead of a sensible shirt was "good writing" or "good characterization".

(And that's not even getting into whether the BL angle is there at all or not.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 09:19   Link #158
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZabiLegacy View Post
<snip>

THE CONTEXTUAL EVIDENCE FOR THE COMPARISON

<snip>

3. I find it pretty amusing that the girlfriend is long distance. It allows enough plausible deniability for the show to wink and say "nope not gay" without having to give him an on-screen girlfriend to distract the show's focus from the interactions of the two. I don't think is an altogether bad thing as its at least novel, but it does point towards the interpretation that there is an intention.
I too found this laughable as most relationships that are long distance don't last one or the other partner will be cheating. Even if the relationship exists, then the counter argument is that the guy can still be gay and is covering it with a hetero relationship.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 09:50   Link #159
Blaat
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
I wouldn't be surprised if the long distance girlfriend is one of the girls in the opening.
__________________
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 11:19   Link #160
Katapan
俺様祭り
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: France
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the long distance girlfriend is one of the girls in the opening.
I refuse to think that any of the three is capable of writing such an annoying mail.
__________________
Katapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, noitamina

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.