Notices

Old 2016-04-08, 10:06   Link #101
Dysprosium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Images
Episode 1 Gifs
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Perfect. Mumei is olev, Mumei is life.

I can definitely see her getting a figurine of her own pretty soon (scaled, nendo, etc).
Dysprosium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 10:19   Link #102
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Images
Episode 1 Gifs
Figures everything would be about Mumei.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
It may not have been. But without a brain to send motor signals or a mouth to bite with (unless you try to pick up the head wrong), it's not nearly as much of a threat.
Well, that's assuming it doesn't regenerate quickly like Titans did or something though, otherwise yeah it's good way to weaken them somewhat.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 10:26   Link #103
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Episode 1:
Tetsurou Araki and WIT Studio has done it again on this first episode of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. Let's hope that they'll continue the hype train until the end!

Meanwhile, I have to give thanks to Ikoma for not turning into a Kabane!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 10:29   Link #104
xeviouses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Episode 1:
Tetsurou Araki and WIT Studio has done it again on this first episode of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. Let's hope that they'll continue the hype train until the end!

Meanwhile, I have to give thanks to Ikoma for not turning into a Kabane!
*Intercepts thanks* You might want to hold on to that for now, He may have not turned in to a full kabane but there is a chance he's a halfling now.
xeviouses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 10:30   Link #105
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Images
Episode 1 Gifs
Nothing but Mumei, huh? So it's perfect just the way it is.
Old 2016-04-08, 10:35   Link #106
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
*Intercepts thanks* You might want to hold on to that for now, He may have not turned in to a full kabane but there is a chance he's a halfling now.
Sorry about that, but let's hope that he won't turn into a full Kabane! A half-Kabane is fine, but my problem is that people might antagonize him for being the enemy of humanity.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 10:44   Link #107
Peanutbutter

Woah, after reading a few comments, I jumped into this, and wow, such production quality and values.

Can this be bigger than AoT?
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 11:05   Link #108
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
Something I don't understand guys, what was the MC trying to do by riveting a metal plate unto his shoulder? I get the straps on his arm but the metal?
I feel like he just grabbed whatever he could within that minute of super fast spreading infection and tried to suppress or at least slow it going to the brain by literally plugging himself up. For the record, I'm not even sure anything other than the strangling did much to begin with but it's not like he's experienced something like it before so all I can say is... "nice try, bud".
Old 2016-04-08, 11:06   Link #109
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Sorry about that, but let's hope that he won't turn into a full Kabane! A half-Kabane is fine, but my problem is that people might antagonize him for being the enemy of humanity.
Dude, being half-monster only counts as street cred for any good shounen protagonist. Right in the middle between "having an unreasonably ambitious life objective" and "being orphan of at least one parent" .

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 11:16   Link #110
Dysprosium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post
Can this be bigger than AoT?
Not a snowball's chance in hell.

And SnK anime was a manga adaptation, to begin with.

Let's see whether it can average 5k in its BD sales first.
Dysprosium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 11:16   Link #111
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Right in the middle between "having an unreasonably ambitious life objective" and "being orphan of at least one parent" .
Nah from the looks of it, I'm pretty sure the one beloved person Ikoma lost in the flashback besides his family could either be a little sister or a loyal childhood friend, I'm probably leaning more towards the former due to Mumei saying some rather ambiguous lines to big brother, perhaps?
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 11:40   Link #112
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I don’t get people’s insta-fascination to Mumei (so far). Badass-eccentric-loli with few words like her are dime a dozen imo. I’m not a fan of AoT, but I think non-loli Mikasa’s badass-ness complete with six-pack abs and unhealthy (read: hilarious) obsession toward the MC is more charming.

But anyway, this was a great premiere for Kabaneri. The Japanese audiences were not hyped for nothing. I expect the first three episodes to be good to stellar, but the real challenge for both narrative & animation will come from episode 4 onwards. I hope this series can hold itself together well. And please don’t go Valvrave on me, Mr. Writer. I hope you learn from that past mistake of yours.

Btw, the gatekeepers shouldn't have lowered the bridge before the second train could come to plain view by stopping in front of the gate first like the first/previous train that entered the fortress. Is this inconsistent world-building, or pure idiocy of the gatekeeper-characters? I'm not sure.
Old 2016-04-08, 11:43   Link #113
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
Nah from the looks of it, I'm pretty sure the one beloved person Ikoma lost in the flashback besides his family could either be a little sister or a loyal childhood friend, I'm probably leaning more towards the former due to Mumei saying some rather ambiguous lines to big brother, perhaps?
Well, flashback or not, though, he doesn't look like he has parents around now, does he? Anyway I was talking about shounen protagonists in general, if he happens to have both parents alive well, that's a pity but I'm sure he can make up for it with his grit. And with some luck one of them will die before the end of the series anyway .

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 12:03   Link #114
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I don’t get people’s insta-fascination to Mumei (so far). Badass-eccentric-loli with few words like her are dime a dozen imo. I’m not a fan of AoT, but I think non-loli Mikasa’s badass-ness complete with six-pack abs and unhealthy (read: hilarious) obsession toward the MC is more charming.
They're not dime a dozen. Going by the many JP comments alone, the first time she appeared in a scene people commented on her being beautiful, but also sexy and having heavenly legs/feet. As you said, she's also a badass and her meek yet easygoing personality mixes well with it. As an omake she has twintails and is wearing an adorable yukata. She's a perfect score 5/7 that combines fun, badassery, and fanservice in a splendid way.

Besides, even if characters like her were dime a dozen the fascination for Mumei wouldn't have been less. It'd simply mean chars like her are just that popular and hot in demand. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 2016-04-08, 12:41   Link #115
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Steampunk meets zombie apocalypse in feudal Japan, I like it and it does have the Attack on Titan feel to it, this is probably the first one I'd definitely pick up this season!
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 12:42   Link #116
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
...Btw, the gatekeepers shouldn't have lowered the bridge before the second train could come to plain view by stopping in front of the gate first like the first/previous train that entered the fortress. Is this inconsistent world-building, or pure idiocy of the gatekeeper-characters? I'm not sure.
I thought of it as inconsistent world-building -- or maybe pure idiocy of the writers. Dead giveaway.

But that was about the only complaint I had. The MC's self-strangulation to self-save didn't make perfect sense to me, but the situation, animation, and characters were generally great.

I liked both the daughter-of-the-boss girl (played by the wonderful Uchida Maaya) and the ninja girl (relative newcomer Senbongi Sayaka). The geta-blade stuck in the post was a nice touch. I didn't love the MC, but I'm willing to let him grow on me. Maybe the young seiyuu's voice didn't click with me (Hatanaka Tasuku, Ushio in Ushio & Tora).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 13:36   Link #117
DemonneoPT

Wow, the animation quality was over 9000!!! Beautiful colors, low levels of censorship, cool art style and that SnK vibe in the anime direction totally made this debut one of the most good looking in the last years. The story setting pleased me since i'm a steampunk fan, with the producers raising the bar by also adding medieval Japan elements to it making it a fantastic scenario for epic action scenes, especially when the enemies are these weird zombie-like plague creatures with unknown origins! Not too original but it can be awesome if done properly. The OST was fantastic too.
i really hope they will explain why there was no inspection in the train before allowing it to enter the city. That was dumb

I was not expecting to like the main character because i feared it would be another annoying shonen protagonist but, fortunnely, i instead got this idealistic nerd who just wants to improve the technology and change the ways his community view and fight the zombies, making him different from the usual meta. Trying to solve problems using advanced science in a superstitious steampunk society makes a good premise for me. The only thing i disliked in him was his VA.. it sounded weird. I'm curious about the way he stopped the virus propagation tho... was it because of the green gem on his hand or choking almost to death with hot iron did the trick? xD
And what's up with that chinese loli girl?? So badass and likable! I'm completely sold for her and i normally do not like loli characters. Her design (like everyone else in the rest of the anime) and personality are refreshing and she will probably be one of my favorites in this story.

I'm so happy the anime industry is still willing to produce original content to counter the monotony of the LN harem adaptations that are popular these days. A big thank you to the producers because of that and i really hope this will turn out to be a good and engaging series with huge success. Maybe then, more initiatives like this one will be a common reality!

Last edited by DemonneoPT; 2016-04-08 at 14:07.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 14:19   Link #118
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler:

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 14:20   Link #119
TheRealWinston

Watched the first episode few minutes ago. I liked it.

But can someone explain, what the mainchar did at the end, to save him from the virus. Or will that explained later in the series? And how did he know, that would work?
TheRealWinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-08, 14:37   Link #120
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWinston View Post
Watched the first episode few minutes ago. I liked it.

But can someone explain, what the mainchar did at the end, to save him from the virus. Or will that explained later in the series? And how did he know, that would work?
The green stone in his palm is his "superpower". It appears to have stopped the infection by absorbing/curing the virus, everything else he did was to stop the infection for reaching his brain, although we don't know for sure if he's completely free of the virus or is now one of those special halflings as stated by posts above.

At least that's how it appeared to me.

Edit: I'm curious though, why is the MC obsessed with piercing the heart when just cutting off the head is enough to disable the zombies Kabane?
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, post-apocalyptic, steampunk, zombie apocalypse