AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2021-03-01, 10:56   Link #701
maximilianjenus
[E]

the looping mechanics are the same as other japanese fiction. the brqnch where rika always dies had an exit in kai, so now there is a branch where rika survives and goes to st lucia. satokos despair created another branch where rika always dies again, but the difference withe the first branch is that satoko also retains her memories.
generally speaking, branching is depending in the anthropic principle that is why it is so difficult to break out from a branch. i think some of the new questions will start getting answered in the next episode, because satoko is currently ignorant of hinamisawas situation, so before she becomes an effective looper and do what we saw in the first arcs, she has to learn what is going on first.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-01, 11:30   Link #702
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
because satoko is currently ignorant of hinamisawas situation
Is she? She has experienced the events of Matsuribayashi twice now, she knows what Takano has done, what she tried to do and that the she had a whole group of soldiers at her command.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-01, 19:43   Link #703
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Satoko is definitely not completely ignorant, but becoming this skilled at making Rika's life miserable is going to take some time.
Old 2021-03-02, 04:07   Link #704
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I never was a fan of Satoko, but this season makes me despise her.

Why the heck instead of using her knowledge to improve her own situation she decided to make Rika's life miserable? It is just stupid.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-02, 04:33   Link #705
Liddo-kun
is this so?

after seeing all the foolery that Satoko is doing now. Have no more pity for all the sufferings that happened to her in previous seasons.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-04, 12:51   Link #706
Marina2

Ep.22

That was another wild ride........So that's how Satoko learned about Rika's loop and how Rika 2.0 trapped in the same loop with Satoko.

This Satoko is already hopeless, it seems. It might be easier if Rika just kill her with sword then pick up an innocent Satoko from some other worlds instead.

However, with how much not-Featherine willing to support Satoko, It's hard to image how can Rika get herself out of this without getting the help from some other gods (or witches). (Hanyuu is gone)

Last edited by Marina2; 2021-03-04 at 13:34.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-04, 12:55   Link #707
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv175
*Graphic Designer

I didn't have much sympathy for Satoko for a while, and last week definitely made me pretty skeptical when it comes to potential extenuating circumstances, but this week was just the sledgehammer to smash down a tiny nail.

Let's summarize Satoko's train of thoughts:
-Instead of trying even once when it comes to St Lucia after gaining the loop ability, not only she tried to sabotage Rika first and foremost, but she made a much worse decision than Rika: she simply forced a promise that could not be kept that was bound to fail because of her own shortcomings.
-Satoko never once tried to understand why Rika tried so hard to leave Hinamizawa, nor did she even suggest any other compromise such as Okinomiya and whatnot. There was absolutely no consulting with the rest of the club members.
The kicker is that when Rika was meek and was trying to understand why Satoko would go completely nutcase about the prospect of going to St Lucia, Satoko basically forced an ultimatum. Satoko should also realize that she was set on the same rank as Rika's "lifetime dream", which is not something to ignore, regardless how Rika was going to act in St Lucia.
-When she finally learns that Rika went through hell for a hundred years, she didn't even considered it to be the main reason why Rika wants to leave Hinamizawa. But worst of all, she deliberately reviewed all of them in order to fully counter Rika and make her submissive. Even suggesting that "she cannot let rika -win-".

I'm really not sure how Ryukishi is going to redeem her at this point. If we assume Gou is only 2 cours (which looks like it the way how the story went through), then I have hard time to believe things will be solved properly.
Old 2021-03-04, 14:23   Link #708
berin
distant snow, cold frost

There were so many psychological threads left hanging from Satoko's past and from the original Rika loops that they could have drawn from to give Satoko much more substantial motives for looping, nevermind other (better) potential future motives they could have explored. To see the 'motive' of Satoko's looping being 'I can't follow Rika to this school for xyz reasons and I can't live without Rika as I'm overly dependent on her, therefore I will break her psychologically to keep her with me' is beyond disappointing.

I have no idea what r07 was thinking when he outlined this, if he even was at all. Just feels like so much wasted potential. No idea how this can be salvaged at all, nevermind in only two episodes.

Looking forward to Gou being over with so I can forget it ever happened tbh.
berin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-04, 14:39   Link #709
Archon_Wing
Why?
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Bleh guess Shion was right in offing Satoko then.

I don't like where we arrived.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-04, 18:14   Link #710
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
At this rate I'm going to need to rewatch Shion brutally killing Satoko to get through this series. She was never at the top of my favorite character list. She was always more a victim with some decent qualities. But now she's just purely despicable. I fully expect the story to redeem her or something by the end since it did the same with a genocidal maniac like Takano, but I think she's past the point of no return for me.

It really does feel like wasted potential. There's so much you can do with making Satoko evil. But the result is more "we're really doing it like this?" Well ok then. Here we go.
Old 2021-03-04, 18:26   Link #711
The Green One

All aboard the crazy train. Just when you thought it was Shion who was the unstable one.
Old 2021-03-04, 19:01   Link #712
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Was this sequel made just to completely ruin Satoko? Because if so, good job, I completely despise her now. I also take back what I said about her being a competent looper since she was basically handed down a cheat sheet by Featherine, since she could see events outside of Rika's scope and therefore had access to information Rika doesn't even know exist and couldn't have possibly gotten. You'd think seeing the hundred years Rika went through would have made her feel at least some empathy for her but it was the exact opposite: she was the one who asked for Rika to get pulled back into hell so she could break her mind. She might have just shot up to number one yandere of all time after this episode.

I hope she won't get redeemed because she doesn't deserve it. On the other hand, I don't want Rika to go through the pain of killing her best friend. But given the kind of friend she is, it would be for the best.
Old 2021-03-04, 19:10   Link #713
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I think somewhere along the way Satoko failed to realize that she no longer regard Rika as a friend. The whole objective of making her stay in Hinamizawa with her has become meaningless and it only serves the purpose of achieving a trivial "victory". In the end she has experienced Rika breaking her promise and in her eyes she is a traitor and someone she cannot reason with, so she ultimately no longer respect her.

Really the only sane thing for her to do would be to simply refuse to even apply to St. Lucia. Exactly what do you think Rika could do about that? In the end she would be forced to make a choice and that would probably be to break up with Satoko, which, given the situation, would be for the better for both of them.

At any rate we have been given a few relevant answers to some questions. Now we have a valid explanation as to how Satoko was able to manipulate the events so masterfully (though I still wonder what kind of trump card she found against Takano), and we also know how come Rika retains her memories starting from now.

BTW, Considering how Rika already snapped back at Satoko for way less in the past, I'm looking forward to see what she's going to do now that the cat is out of the bag.

Old 2021-03-04, 19:17   Link #714
MCAL

The last two arcs have been trying their damned hardest not to show any Shion whatsoever, and I'm left stuck wondering if that's supposed to mean anything or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I fully expect the story to redeem her or something by the end since it did the same with a genocidal maniac like Takano, but I think she's past the point of no return for me.
Speaking of Takano, I was surfing twitter over reactions to the latest episode and umm...

https://twitter.com/Uminetta_/status...92424504053768
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-04, 19:46   Link #715
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Wait a moment. There was no mention whatsoever of the sword inside Oyashiro-sama's statue, and Satoko couldn't have learned about it during the 100 years loop. Even if she stumbled upon it, who would have even told her about its significance and power?

So if it wasn't Satoko that took it... who did?

Old 2021-03-04, 19:51   Link #716
berin
distant snow, cold frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
Speaking of Takano, I was surfing twitter over reactions to the latest episode and umm...

https://twitter.com/Uminetta_/status...92424504053768
Spoiler for vague Umineko/Ciconia stuff:
Old 2021-03-04, 20:03   Link #717
Liddo-kun
is this so?

episode 22:

the useful thing I learned is the water near the wheel is deep enough to drown people. lol

also pure evil Satoko seems to be the final antagonist of this.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-04, 20:13   Link #718
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by berin View Post
Spoiler for vague Umineko/Ciconia stuff:
Spoiler for Umineko/Ciconia:

Old 2021-03-04, 20:20   Link #719
Melchizadek

I'm pretty sure when this is all over, I'm just going to pretend like Gou doesn't exist from now on.
Melchizadek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-04, 20:38   Link #720
berin
distant snow, cold frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Spoiler for Umineko/Ciconia:
Spoiler for Ciconia/Umineko/Gou/etc.: