AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2008-03-08, 02:39   Link #261
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Holy Crap, the art on the English Lucky Star DVD Volume 1 is "amazing". And by amazing I actually mean could they have spared us the chicken scratch much? Obviously they are going with some weird gimmicky angle what with the childrens drawing and Hiragana. I could have made done this to be perfectly honest.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 03:04   Link #262
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Holy Crap, the art on the English Lucky Star DVD Volume 1 is "amazing". And by amazing I actually mean could they have spared us the chicken scratch much? Obviously they are going with some weird gimmicky angle what with the childrens drawing and Hiragana. I could have made done this to be perfectly honest.
They're actually using the covers of some of the Japanese Regular Editions for those, so at least it's not like it's something they just made up. I believe the covers of the Japanese Limited Editions will be included in there in some fashion (whether it's reversable covers, or what). It's definitely unique, though...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 08:24   Link #263
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
They're actually using the covers of some of the Japanese Regular Editions for those, so at least it's not like it's something they just made up. I believe the covers of the Japanese Limited Editions will be included in there in some fashion (whether it's reversable covers, or what). It's definitely unique, though...
They basically switched the covers around so that the japanese limited edition-covers are the regular edition-ones in the US and vice versa. It's really annoying in my opinion, because those crayon-scribbles suck. I guess they're kinda funny, but having something like that on my shelf... glad it'll just be inside the box, so I won't have to look at it that much. I'd take generic anime-style artwork over these things any day.
Vegard Aune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 08:51   Link #264
Dee Eon

Quote:
Hi!

It's my understanding from other LS boards that that cover art is supposed to be the drawing of a pissed-off Kagami drawn by Konata. I don't know whether it was lifted from the manga, but apparently that's why it looks the way it does.

Dee
Dee Eon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 15:37   Link #265
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, (from the manga) that's a variation on Kona drawings of Kagami.... though the one I remember is much more wild (fire-breathing Kagami).

Not exactly something to cause the title to fly from the shelves though... :/

Retail Price:$64.98Your Price:$48.74
Please tell me that is the DVD+BOX price with some idiot "getto" inside because that's a pretty ridiculous price otherwise. The SHnY LE box was really quite cool (like a jewelry box with drawers). I'm guessing this is just as elaborate?
Old 2008-03-08, 20:18   Link #266
yadoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
yeah, (from the manga) that's a variation on Kona drawings of Kagami.... though the one I remember is much more wild (fire-breathing Kagami).

Not exactly something to cause the title to fly from the shelves though... :/

Retail Price:$64.98Your Price:$48.74
Please tell me that is the DVD+BOX price with some idiot "getto" inside because that's a pretty ridiculous price otherwise. The SHnY LE box was really quite cool (like a jewelry box with drawers). I'm guessing this is just as elaborate?
I've looked around the interwebs and it looks like it's coming bundled with a 6-DVD size art box:

as well as
  • "Motteke Sailor Fuku" Opening CD
  • Konata Character CD
  • Girl’s School Uniform (Winter) Print T-Shirt
  • Chocolate Cornet Screen Wipe
  • Alternate DVD Cover

Certainly seems to merit the price tag imo, in fact if they were released them at the same time in the UK i'd wager it would be a lot more expensive. I'm sure when it inevitable gets released here, the pricetag of the non-limited edition with no features will be double the price. At least.
yadoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-09, 08:20   Link #267
Dee Eon

Quote:
Mmm. Wonder what Kona did that so ticked Kaggie off this time! (does the brandishing broom hint that somebody's a witch??) Say, but isn't violence and anger unbefitting a Miko? Like Konata seriously needs some art lessons! Wish I knew which manga chap it came from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadoran View Post
  • "Motteke Sailor Fuku" Opening CD
  • Konata Character CD
  • Girl’s School Uniform (Winter) Print T-Shirt
  • Chocolate Cornet Screen Wipe
  • Alternate DVD Cover
Forget the tee-shirt; I'm trying to picture a "Chocolate Cornet Screen Wipe". Wouldn't that be kinda messy for the screen??

Dee
Old 2008-03-09, 22:25   Link #268
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Eon View Post
(does the brandishing broom hint that somebody's a witch??) Say, but isn't violence and anger unbefitting a Miko?
The broom is there because Kagami is also a miko at her family's shrine, and the miko sweep the shrine with brooms to keep it clean. I'm sure that the angry doodle is just a satire of the "tsun" part of tsunderekko Kagamin.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 02:03   Link #269
yadoran

Quote:
If by "they" you mean the Japanese production team, because the DVD cases are identical as the Japanese ones except for the translation to "Lucky Star". All of the Normal Edition DVDs of the Japanese release were in this style, while the Special Editions had a basic picture on, like the US Normal Edition does. We're getting the same DVD boxes, but the Special Edition and Normal Edition boxes are switched around so that the illustrated ones are the Special Editions in the US release.
You can see them on all YesAsia (I love the Yui-chan one best, but I'm biased), here's the Japanese Normal Edition Volume 1 box, which as you can see, is identical:

So it's not, really, a 'weird gimmicky angle', is it? They're being faithful to the original Japanese release cases, which I think is honourable. I personally love the illustrated boxes, I think they're really unique, and if they'd changed them to plain box art like on the US Normal Edition I would have been dissapointed.
yadoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 19:17   Link #270
raideralan

They must mass produce those figma konotas. As of now they are only wonfes items I think.
raideralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 22:31   Link #271
Mr Bland
Photographers are sexy.

Saw this here and Had to post it :P

http://www.cafepress.com/class3a.181609520

I laughed when I saw it. If I was a girl I would sooooo wear it
Mr Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-21, 17:14   Link #272
kirbypopstarhero

the lucky star nendroids/

all 3 (charaani.com ver, homepage ver. and the mail in order ver (conputiq))

were delayed till end of april.
kirbypopstarhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 05:10   Link #273
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bland View Post
Saw this here and Had to post it :P

http://www.cafepress.com/class3a.181609520

I laughed when I saw it. If I was a girl I would sooooo wear it

Hi!

Hmmm... you're taking me somewhere I don't wanna go!

I sympathize with Konata's deficit, but then with that near tomboy attitude it probably doesn't bother her all that much or else she'd saved up all the bucks she spent on video games and treated herself to a boob job on her eighteenth birthday...

I dunno. That shirt might fly with Japanese girls, who seem generally not as well-endowed as girls here in America, but I don't think it has a chance with even fan girls here. Like, Hannah or Britany's or Lindsay's appeal wouldn't have gotten too far bouncing minus cups, and most guys aren't all that blind (or fair) to flatties yourselves!

Put it this way; I'd expect it to appeal to American girls the same way guys here would be to men's briefs sporting roughly the same message. Hope that's not too graphic!

Dee
authoress of "Kanata: Totally Dead??" and "Kanata's Dream"
Old 2008-03-24, 12:53   Link #274
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You're missing Konata's point with her slim looks and her attitude. In Japan (and other places), girls like her are often prized for their "specialness". She's actually pretty proud of her looks - and it certainly scores her points at the cosplay cafe.

As far as "endowed" ... Japanese females run about 30-50lbs lighter than "girls in America" (by which I'll assume you actually meant certain populations of non-Asian Americans since there's a lot of women of asian descent in America)... so naturally proportions will vary.

Someone who weighs less than 100 pounds will probably not be running a "D" cup -- though I do remember one little Latino girl in my high school who was quite spectacular though she had to stretch to beat 5 feet in height.
Old 2008-03-25, 11:41   Link #275
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

NENDORIOD ATTACK!!! WAVE 2!!!

Secret Figure! Guess Who?

Spoiler:

I love Minami's shy/embarrassed expression.
Old 2008-03-25, 22:50   Link #276
animefanrk2k

Send a message via AIM to animefanrk2k Send a message via MSN to animefanrk2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadoran View Post
[*]Chocolate Cornet Screen Wipe
I remember during AnimeFest in NYC during the winter when I went to the Haruhi/Lucky Star panel, someone jokingly asked if they were giving out chocolate coronets. I'm glad to see that they came through on that one. XD
Old 2008-03-28, 15:11   Link #277
Dee Eon

Quote:
You're missing Konata's point with her slim looks and her attitude. In Japan (and other places), girls like her are often prized for their "specialness". She's actually pretty proud of her looks - and it certainly scores her points at the cosplay cafe.
Well, I was mostly citing the (generally American) male attitudes in the non-appeal of flatness and the non-envy of being less than curvy among most females here (of almost every age it seems) . Sometimes it seems that even beyond language Japan and America are truly different worlds! (pastries more pop than burgers??). But you brought up a good mention about her cafe life which I should check out the manga about I guess.

Dee
Authoress of "Kanata: Totally Dead??" and "Kanata's Dream"
Old 2008-03-30, 18:00   Link #278
Dee Eon

Toast 4 Lucky Girls with Sake! (It Sure Ain't Kool-Aid!)

The Fujinoi Sake company will offer a special consignment of Urusei Yatsura sake based on Rumiko Takahashi's manga on April 10. The bottle labels will naturally feature the manga's Lum-chan character. The same company previously offered four Sakagura Ikkoku-kan ("Ikkoku Apartment Building's Wine Cellar") seasonal sake bottles based on Takahashi's Maison Ikkoku manga. The Canned Dog blog notes that the Sake no daimasu company will offer Junmaishu Toyoake Lucky Star sake on March 25. The bottle will only be sold the company's store in Satte, the hometown of the main character Konata of Kagami Yoshimizu's manga and anime.

Cheers!!!

Dee
Authoress of "Kanata: Totally Dead??" and "Kanata's Dream" and PPGZ's "Blueberry" and "Bunny Z"
Old 2008-04-03, 00:24   Link #279
Chi-no
Light & Dark User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbypopstarhero View Post
ultimate collection, lol

Where did that came from ? Wow.... A lot of people are looking for these ....
Chi-no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 20:42   Link #280
NotBlaine

Anyone else aware of the Lucky Star card game?

http://homepage3.nifty.com/MOMII/kurage/motteke.htm

I've tried reading the instructions to no real avail.
NotBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote