AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2013-04-24, 22:31   Link #1
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) - World and Technology

By request, a thread to discuss the world and technology of Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)! As always, be mindful of spoilers, follow the policy, tag, etc., and please be civil.

Enjoy!
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 22:34   Link #2
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Thank god.. we had this thread... now lets talk about how retard their technology is....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 22:40   Link #3
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

what's wrong with their tech?
Old 2013-04-24, 22:41   Link #4
richardtengcy

I wonder how they create the equipment that mades them fly in the air with the gas pressure......is that even possible in today's technology?
richardtengcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 23:02   Link #5
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

Spoiler for 3d gear mechanics:
Old 2013-04-24, 23:13   Link #6
Iron Maw
Banned

Thanks for this thread Solace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold~as~Ice View Post
Spoiler for 3d gear mechanics:
Anime version for reference:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Walled City (General Structure)

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

There's one more diagram (which shows some hill-ike version of the city), but I can't find right now.

Jan-Poo's excellent analysis of the city/country's size shouldn't be forgotten either:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Yeah, anything between wall Maria and wall Rose is Titan domain now.
As for how big is the area, I don't know if anyone else did the math already, but if we consider the info that were disclosed in EP1 reliable, then the distance between Maria and Rose is 100 km, the one between Rose and Sina is 130 km, and the distance between Sina and the center is 250 km.

Now from EP2 we see that the walls aren't actually perfect circles but they are close enough, so calculating the areas is a matter of simple math.

The whole human settlement prior to the invasion of wall Maria is (100+130+250)^2 * ╥
that makes roughly 723.822 Km^2

To make a comparison the whole Texas is 696,241 km^2 so this gives you a good idea of how big is the land enclosed between the walls. Having mountains, cities, valleys and forests inside isn't farfetched at all and it is indeed enough land to support several thousands of humans along with domesticated animals.

If we take away the area between Maria and Rose we get 453,645 km^2
and by consequence the land lost to Titans is 270,177 km^2, more ore less like the whole New Zealand.

The New Zealand is far from being very populated and it has about 4.5 millions inhabitants.

So in other words The humans in this story should have plenty of land, and it's probably the lack of advanced technology that doesn't allow them to sustain a large population. It was hinted by Hannes that they also have problems with plagues, so they pretty much live in the living conditions that you would expect from a medieval scenario with famines annexed.

Splitting the area further, the land between Sina and Rose is 257,295 km^2 and the remaining land is 196,349 km^2

Now the next obvious question is... just how long are these walls?! Well this is also a matter of simple math...

Wall Maria: 3015 km
Wall Rose: 2387 km
Wall Sina: 1570 km

And these numbers don't consider the walls that enclose the cities at the four gates of each circle.

The Great Wall of China with all of its branches is 21,196 km according to wikipedia, but that's not a good comparison because it's barely five meters tall or even less in some parts, while the walls in Shingeki no Kyojin have a colossal size of 50 meters.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2013-04-25 at 01:21.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 02:33   Link #7
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
what's wrong with their tech?
They got cannons.

They need guns with higher caliber

Build hot air balloons and bomb the shit out the Titans

Build land mines outside the perimeter...Not rely on the walls...

Iron gates with spikes

Boiling oil for crispy Titan skin...

..and not some fart producing machine....
Old 2013-04-25, 04:34   Link #8
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Their technology in their arsenals are severely lacking for their needs for an effective combat performance.

Need a better quality blades. Need mortars. Need flamethrowers. grenades and Molotovs. And also Gatling-type cannons or machine guns.

And how about the Glaive Thrower?

Besides, by looking at the trademark 3DMG, do I get the impression that the author could be a fan of Tribes universe?

Last edited by Xero8420; 2013-04-25 at 05:13.
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 04:36   Link #9
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero8420 View Post
Besides, by looking at the trademark 3DMG, do I get the impression that the author could be a fan of Tribes universe?
Or Ninjas...
Old 2013-04-25, 05:16   Link #10
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Or Ninjas...
For me, all its function of flying and 'skiing' makes me think of Tribes. So maneuver that even a typical ninja could hardly cope up. But hey, maybe Spiderman could be the one inspires this tech too.
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 06:13   Link #11
Accelolita_

Quote:
They got cannons.

Iron gates with spikes

Just that nothing of that would work against the titans
Accelolita_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 06:34   Link #12
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelolita_ View Post
Just that nothing of that would work against the titans
To an armored Titan that is... are they all armored and smart?
Old 2013-04-25, 06:41   Link #13
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
They got cannons.
We have only seen two types of cannons and one of them (moveable but weak) were shown to be ineffective and at best only good at slowing down a Titan. The bigger more powerful ones on the walls obviously more for defense.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. If the army had those and it were capable of killing a Titan, you would see more of them in use. Guns don't improve out of nowhere.

Quote:
Those need to be invented first.

Quote:
Putting aside the question if they even have normal explosives to begin with, what's to stop gangs of Titan rushing soldiers as soon they step outside? Setting a Landmine (especially the old 14 century type ones) required extreme delicacy.

Quote:
Iron gates with spikes

Not sure these would help much. lol

Quote:
The point of the 3D Maneuvering Gear is take advangte of the higher mobility humans have compared to the Titans. It's not just there for them to swing about, but to make use of some weakness the Titans have though techniques and tactics. It also helps humans scale the walls much faster.

It seems to me your not looking at the tech from context of Shingeki no Kyojin's world, but by ours. Weapon development historically in the real world required many wars, tons of resources and various countries copy-cating each other then improving on the imitated tech to get where we are today. In Shingeki no Kyojin, humanity has been reduced to mere handful of million with practically every other country destroyed as far we know. Humans are limited in what they can do here due to lack of materials, which means they have to fight an extremely powerful foes while being as cost efficient as possible.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2013-04-25 at 07:23.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 07:42   Link #14
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Answering the question about the plausibility of the 3DMG in real life:

The machine itself in my opinion wouldn't be impossible but it would be very impractical to use in real life.

For one the harpoons wouldn't have a 100% chance of attaching to any kind of surface, and considering how the 3D maneuvers work, a single failure would mean death or severe injuries.
Moreover it is impossible that they would detach so easily after that with a consistent reliability. You would experience a lot of "jams" that would make the soldiers become sitting ducks for the titans.

Another major issue is the human ability to be so quick and precise in shooting, detaching and moving while using that equipment. Again a single error would most likely mean death and they have no protection whatsoever to falls or accidental collisions against obstacles.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 09:42   Link #15
Raviel

What are the exact rules of spoilers in this thread? Are they allowed to be mentioned so long as they're properly tagged?

I'm afraid of answering some of the points raised here.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 09:47   Link #16
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I don't believe how the Titans are killed is not much of a spoiler.
Quote:
They got cannons.

Iron gates with spikes

None of them will do anything against the Titans as there is only one surefire way to kill them.
Old 2013-04-25, 09:51   Link #17
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Cannons aren't completely useless against titans, else they wouldn't even bother with them. Each gate is well protected with dozens of cannons, and that is for a reason.

The main problem is that you can't effectively use cannons on an open ground.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 10:05   Link #18
Accelolita_

Quote:
To an armored Titan that is... are they all armored and smart?
Answering that would be a spoiler and I'm not sure if that's allowed even if I mark that spoiler as one?
Accelolita_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 11:34   Link #19
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

I think spoilers are allowed as long as they are in spoiler tags?

Limited resources or not, one should hope that they didn't actually sit on their butts for 100 years, developing absolutely nothing more effective than the 3DMG, thinking that it'll all work out :s
They had enough resources and technology to build and maintain a gigantic wall, it's not like their technological level is medieval, it should've at least been possible to improve existing tech ( couldn't a high caliber firearm type weapon do what they currently do with blades a lot more efficiently? They already have the rudimentary technology for it).

Not gonna lie, my first thought when I saw their tech and how sadly inefficient it is was "did no one think to at least Claymore-fy (read: bioexperiement on) these people?"
I guess episode 2 hinted that this was actually done though. We'll see...!?
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 11:41   Link #20
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Cannons aren't completely useless against titans, else they wouldn't even bother with them. Each gate is well protected with dozens of cannons, and that is for a reason.

The main problem is that you can't effectively use cannons on an open ground.
I always felt that cannon were just for show, just simple attempt to make the people feel safer in addition with the wall.
And the cannons are weaker now because of regression in technology of being occupied in the wall (which is implied to certain degrees).