AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-08, 10:05   Link #121
Xagzan

They removed the intro itself? I thought that was an intentional leak.

Now, the actual clip from episode 1 was not an intentional leak, and you'd be hard pressed to find it at this point.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 21:25   Link #122
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Nope, considering the original video was flipped you can bet that wasn't an intentional leak, especially with no start date in sight (and I'm pretty sure you can find it elsewhere, Avatar fans are pretty used to saving videos and uploading them everywhere for when Viacom starts taking down everything).
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 20:23   Link #123
FritzC

Probably will watch this just because its "Avatar" but as a rule, I CANNOT STAND it when a new series is done in the same world but without the original characters. I mean really, we didn't get to see anything about what happened after the Firelord (whatever he was, forgot already) was defeated. Nothing about Zuko's mother (I was just getting to understand and perhaps even like Zuko when the show ended), how the nations that hated each other came to terms, how air benders would be brought back, or other loose ends. I feel there was too much going on when the ATLA ended and instead of a new cast of characters, the old ones should have been brought back.

Every time I've read a book, watched a movie, or seen a show where a reoccurring world has had different sets of characters, the end result is BAD. Why go through developing the first characters if you're just going to drop them in the end?

Last edited by FritzC; 2011-12-10 at 20:55.
FritzC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 20:30   Link #124
Beryl Black
Potential Spammer
*Artist

Couldn't help but chuckle at the last part. It seems to show some promise, though like the post above me stated, I was beginning to understand Zuko, so I'd hope this series would at least reveal something about that.
Beryl Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 21:00   Link #125
FritzC

Just thought of something else, if this is supposed to be 100 years after the Gaang, how did society develop to the point of having steampunk cities? When we last saw them, the world consisted of villages with a few ridiculously primitive cities scattered in. Hand pulled carts were the norm, now we're expected to believe that airships and the like are common?
Old 2011-12-10, 21:27   Link #126
Craymel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzC View Post
Just thought of something else, if this is supposed to be 100 years after the Gaang, how did society develop to the point of having steampunk cities? When we last saw them, the world consisted of villages with a few ridiculously primitive cities scattered in. Hand pulled carts were the norm, now we're expected to believe that airships and the like are common?
that's hardly unbelievable. look at the differences in society of the year 1900 and 2000. Humans are crazy like that. Especially when you have supernatural powers to bend the elements to your will.
Old 2011-12-10, 22:06   Link #127
Xagzan

Quote:
Probably will watch this just because its "Avatar" but as a rule, I CANNOT STAND it when a new series is done in the same world but without the original characters. I mean really, we didn't get to see anything about what happened after the Firelord (whatever he was, forgot already) was defeated. Nothing about Zuko's mother (I was just getting to understand and perhaps even like Zuko when the show ended), how the nations that hated each other came to terms, how air benders would be brought back, or other loose ends. I feel there was too much going on when the ATLA ended and instead of a new cast of characters, the old ones should have been brought back.

Every time I've read a book, watched a movie, or seen a show where a reoccurring world has had different sets of characters, the end result is BAD. Why go through developing the first characters if you're just going to drop them in the end?
The first of the sequel comics, which are canon and are supervised by Mike and Bryan in some capacity, is being released in February.

Quote:
Technically 70 years, but Craymel is still right.
Old 2011-12-11, 00:40   Link #128
FritzC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craymel View Post
that's hardly unbelievable. look at the differences in society of the year 1900 and 2000. Humans are crazy like that. Especially when you have supernatural powers to bend the elements to your will.
Well I guess but we weren't pulling hand carts around 70 years ago, were we? The 'modern' city took dramatic timetables to develop, 200-300 years in many cases in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
The first of the sequel comics, which are canon and are supervised by Mike and Bryan in some capacity, is being released in February.
? What do you mean?
Old 2011-12-11, 13:41   Link #129
Xagzan

Quote:
Well I guess but we weren't pulling hand carts around 70 years ago, were we? The 'modern' city took dramatic timetables to develop, 200-300 years in many cases in Europe.

? What do you mean?
Written by Gene Yang
Old 2011-12-12, 22:17   Link #130
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

On the whole "70 years isn't enough!" deal, Bryke have stated that Avatar took place during their world's Industrial Revolution. On Earth that was the 1840s-50s, right when steam engines were being developed and there were some in use in the show (such as that giant drill and Sokka helped figure out how dirigibles would work). 70 years later on our world it was the 1920s and look at all the changes then, cars, skyscraper cities, airplanes, tanks (which were also already in the original Avatar), electricity, radio, ect. 70 years may seem like a short time but depending on when those 70 years were (hell, look at the difference between 1920s and the 1990s) and how the Avatar world was already rather technologically advanced it works out pretty well.
And there are going to be three comics called The Promise (the first one coming out late January/early Feburary) with the original gaang set a few years later and it sounds like it's going to deal with the founding of Republic City. I know some pages have already been leaked/some people seem to have seen review copies and they say that it's all good so I'm not worried about it.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 13:26   Link #131
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
Actually, by the time Aang ended the war, the Fire Nation was already using steam engines in their boats and tanks. The Fire Nation was at the forefront of industry, so being steam punk 70 years later is not far fetched.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 13:48   Link #132
Goodgirl209
Shadow Ninja

Location: United States of America, North America, Western Hempisphere, Earth, Milky Way.
At first I wasn't really interested because a show is always best with the original characters for me but this doesn't look bad. But I would still probably prefer the original like all other shows.
Goodgirl209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 16:12   Link #133
FritzC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
Actually, by the time Aang ended the war, the Fire Nation was already using steam engines in their boats and tanks. The Fire Nation was at the forefront of industry, so being steam punk 70 years later is not far fetched.
I guess you guys are right, it just bugs me seeing my beautiful and pristine Avatar: TLA world now a steampunk paradise :/
Old 2011-12-14, 03:48   Link #134
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
I guess you guys are right, it just bugs me seeing my beautiful and pristine Avatar: TLA world now a steampunk paradise :/
That's probably the best pro-environmental message right there.

Forces you to love a beautiful natural world and then shatters it through cold hard reality. No ham-fisted message or anything. Just a fleeting sense of loss...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 22:33   Link #135
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Anyone knows where I can check out that leaked footage (>.>)?...
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 05:23   Link #136
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

what a damn shame it doesnt follow the original series, i loved those characters
Old 2011-12-24, 11:13   Link #137
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

^ We get a kick ass female lead instead from the start. I'm all for it.
Old 2012-02-15, 09:32   Link #138
TimeMask
Phantom Member

Toph is meant to be dead in this new Avatar series even though she's very young in the 1st series.

If Toph was alive we might not recognize her since she will have grown up so for this reason they may just have had her character be dead already.
TimeMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-18, 22:31   Link #139
RandomAvatarFan

I'm so excited for this. I'm a huge fan of the originals (got my boxed sets!) and used to host premiere parties with my friends when they aired xD I'm totally going to break out the fire flakes this year!

Is the premiere date still sometime 2012? I heard Spring, but I might be confusing that with something else...

As for new characters, I'm pysched. I'm a little disappointed that they won't be focused on the same time frame as the first series. The creators hinted that there would be more stories for the world around the time Book 3 was about to begin. I assumed it would be about how the war affected other people. I expected a new cast, but kind of sad that... well the old cast is dead by the time this begins. A brand new clean slate for anyone to jump into. This way those new to the series will still be able to enjoy it, but the fans of the first Legend will have already been immersed in the same universe, and understand its history. The designs look cool, and pretty sweet. I hope Korra only just happens to be a girl, and not "we need strong female characters!"

Without love this picture cannot be seen.
RandomAvatarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 01:35   Link #140
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

This is an image of the message board description on Nick's site that supposedly announces it for Spring release:

Quote:
This board was created on Feb 17th or 16th, I believe (judging from the first thread created under the board). So it's quite recent.

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra