AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-02-11, 22:28   Link #1401
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post

I do not think that word means what you think it means...

He's already got two different names, Homunculus and Father. Both of which still qualify as descriptive as long as Pride and Greed (and probably Wrath) are still around. And he hardly needs a new name, no matter how (questionably) "badass" it is, when he's going to be dead in a few chapters anyway, if he even survives the next one. That said, don't let me stop you from continuing to use it, just don't be surprised when people keep asking who the heck you're talking about... ^_^
I'm aware of what it means. One of the definitions is coming into being. The religious aspect also works much better and fits the character better overall. Homunculus is not a name but a generic description and Father is what his creations call him. Neither of which are a name that sums up the personality of him. Advent suggests the arrival of a new being which he is.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-12, 01:18   Link #1402
Nobodyman9
Banned

Well, I hope they free the souls of the Amestris citizens pretty soon. I gotta tell ya, if I had my soul sucked out of my body and was then doomed to be part of some maniacal monster for all eternity, I would envy the dead.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-12, 02:40   Link #1403
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zek View Post
Sadly it's pretty obvious that the souls will be returned when Father is beaten. It's literally impossible that anything else will happen. I'm guessing Hohenheim will sacrifice himself to make it happen.
Dunno why that would be sad, but it is true. I liked how Pinako said she'll clobber Hohenheim when he comes back. It makes me wonder if she had a thing for him back in the day

I think what the Ishvallans prepared will have more to do with undoing what Father just did. I don't think it will outright kill Father, but it will revert him back to the way he was before if not worse. I think that's how the souls will be returned to the Amestrians.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-12, 03:21   Link #1404
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
I think what the Ishvallans prepared will have more to do with undoing what Father just did. I don't think it will outright kill Father, but it will revert him back to the way he was before if not worse. I think that's how the souls will be returned to the Amestrians.
Well, between the transumation circle that the Ishvalans set up (which I'm guessing is probably connected to Scar's brother's alchemy research) and whatever Hohenheim's been doing all this time, it seems they've got at least two "trump cards," and lord knows they'll need it. It's no easy feat reversing everything that Father has done, as well as killing him. Still, I think even those two alone won't be enough and Ed and the rest are probably going to have to do something else to finish him off.
Old 2010-02-12, 06:44   Link #1405
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Well, between the transumation circle that the Ishvalans set up (which I'm guessing is probably connected to Scar's brother's alchemy research) and whatever Hohenheim's been doing all this time, it seems they've got at least two "trump cards," and lord knows they'll need it. It's no easy feat reversing everything that Father has done, as well as killing him. Still, I think even those two alone won't be enough and Ed and the rest are probably going to have to do something else to finish him off.
I doubt the Ishvallan's transmutation would really kill him. As a matter of fact, I doubt there's anything at all that can kill Father. To begin with, he was the one who taught Hohenheim everything about Alchemy in the beginning. That being said, as far as Amestrian alchemy goes, Father is essentially the inventor. Hohenheim went on to invent his own version which later became Xingese alchemy, against which father is vulnerable. Because of his ignorance, I doubt he ever planned anything to counter such alchemy. Right now, that is the only key to his undoing. But no matter how much they can reduce father's power, he cannot be killed. He can be immobilized at best, reduced to the same state he was in during his time in Xerxes.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-12, 09:56   Link #1406
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Oh. Oh my. That was a shocking chapter.
Old 2010-02-12, 12:09   Link #1407
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
I doubt the Ishvallan's transmutation would really kill him. As a matter of fact, I doubt there's anything at all that can kill Father. To begin with, he was the one who taught Hohenheim everything about Alchemy in the beginning. That being said, as far as Amestrian alchemy goes, Father is essentially the inventor. Hohenheim went on to invent his own version which later became Xingese alchemy, against which father is vulnerable. Because of his ignorance, I doubt he ever planned anything to counter such alchemy. Right now, that is the only key to his undoing. But no matter how much they can reduce father's power, he cannot be killed. He can be immobilized at best, reduced to the same state he was in during his time in Xerxes.
Hmm, you seem quite certain of that. If I recall correctly, during Father's time in Xerxes, he claimed that if the flask he had been contained in was shattered then he would have died. So yeah, if they can reduce him to that state, as you say, I think he could certainly be killed.

Besides, I don't see what him having created alchemy has to do with anything. If humans can be killed by their own creations, I don't see why the same can't go for Father.
Old 2010-02-12, 13:06   Link #1408
GaimeGuy

I wonder if attempting human transmutation actually creates the gate for the transmuter.

if Father just needed five gates, and everyone had one, he would only need five random individuals. All he needed the five for was to have the five of them arranged in a circle so that the energies of their gates repelled one another at the center of the circle, where father was standing. At least, that's what it seems.

Perhaps attempting human transmutation creates the gate for an individual, and links their gate to their soul. They are able to tap into the gate's' power to perform transmutations without circles.
GaimeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-12, 14:15   Link #1409
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaimeGuy View Post
They are able to tap into the gate's' power to perform transmutations without circles.
Well, yeah... Where have you been...? ^_^
Old 2010-02-12, 17:20   Link #1410
GaimeGuy

What I said is different than being bestowed some kind of knowledge about how to transmute without a circle :P
Old 2010-02-13, 23:06   Link #1411
-Suigetsu-
Prelude of Light

Does anyone know why the 5 sacrifices are still alive, besides plot reasons of course?

Also what was their purpose for, if they were required for Father to reach God, then was has nothing happened to them?
Old 2010-02-13, 23:25   Link #1412
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Suigetsu- View Post
Does anyone know why the 5 sacrifices are still alive, besides plot reasons of course?

Also what was their purpose for, if they were required for Father to reach God, then was has nothing happened to them?
The interaction of their Gates is what empowered Father to do what he did. I imagine if they had died during the process, it would have broken the transmutation, so he arranged it so that anyone in that chamber survived the transmutation. You'll notice that Pride and Mei are also still alive.
Old 2010-02-14, 00:23   Link #1413
Bombo
TSF Fans

arakawa art..
badass to be honest with last chapter Especially.. last boss WOW just wow

I feel watching movie not manga

/bow arakawa sama

Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 00:57   Link #1414
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i was instantly reminded of evangelion when i saw the final boss. i probably missed the boat on this discussion though.

also, i take a small bit of comfort that Winry's last thought was about Ed. but dear lord, there will be hell if that isn't resolved.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 03:25   Link #1415
K_Babyy
Fullmetal Heart

Spoiler for 105 speculation:
Old 2010-03-02, 01:03   Link #1416
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i'm confused at the timeline here. is the stuff where Roy owns Envy coming up in the next episode? there's some good drama in that section.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-03-02, 01:14   Link #1417
GaimeGuy

Hi, you've entered the wrong thread. This is manga discussion, not brotherhood discussion :P

To answer your question: Roy vs. Envy is still a ways off: they still need to have the encounters with gluttony, pride, and kimblee outside of central, and the raid on central and takeover of the communications tower, etc.

Roy vs. Envy is still 10 chapters away, which, at the pace things are scheduled, is probably around episode 51 or 52 if I had to guess. Maybe even later
Old 2010-03-03, 02:06   Link #1418
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i just forgot the sequence of events in the manga but i thought the anime was only going to get ~50 episodes.

anywho, my manga speculation: Hohenheim and Homunculus end up sacrificing themselves (one forced, other willingly, duh) and everyone is revived. its just how they get to that point that befuddles me.

Old 2010-03-03, 23:28   Link #1419
Kayin
s c a r l e t
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Kayin
A) Everyone gets revived.
B) Only select souls get revived (like Winry)
C) Everyone gets revived, but alchemy is gone forever and mankind is left to themselves
D) Same as C, only with the select few B ending
F) Father ends up becoming the new God and rules everything
Old 2010-03-03, 23:46   Link #1420
K_Babyy
Fullmetal Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
A) Everyone gets revived.
B) Only select souls get revived (like Winry)
C) Everyone gets revived, but alchemy is gone forever and mankind is left to themselves
D) Same as C, only with the select few B ending
F) Father ends up becoming the new God and rules everything
I choose A.
I think it's pretty obvious.

But then again, Arakawa can be pretty unpredictable at times.