AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-05-19, 12:55   Link #1
Kheldar

Thumbs down To all fansubs groups: please stop him

I've encountered a site selling fansubs for $3.50 per CD + s/h.

At first I thought it was a fansub group willing to ship CDs to people for just the price of the blank cds and the shipping cost but after giving it a close look, i came upon the prices. I also saw quite many titles so that it was not possible to be a fansub group (not that it was impossible to sub so many titles but it was impossible not to know him [them] if he[they] had subbed this many animes). Seeing Cooking Master Boy (which only A-Keep had subbed if I'm not mistaken) among the titles (moreover the chinese dubbed version) confirmed my suspicion.

So I decided to let you guys know because I'm an anime fan and I'm very grateful to all fansubs groups and I'm really pissed that some $#%*{=+ make money with their work while they don't. The site is there (select to see): www.bakaneko.org
Kheldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 13:03   Link #2
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Although I disagree with what that person is doing, stopping them is a little difficult. Stopping them would, reasonably entail, stopping everyone who sells fansubs. eBay is filled with people pawning off fansubs without a creditting the fansubbers (I've seen some auctions go as high as $40/per disc).

They're a problem, but there isn't much fansubbers can do about it. However, if they're selling licensed anime, corporate america would be more than happy to deal with them.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 13:11   Link #3
Bullsquat
Strange Love

He does have a couple of licensed titles. I see read or die and Saikano on his list. This should be enough incentive for distribution companies to go into action. This guy should be behind bars, seriously.
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 13:24   Link #4
Silent Otaku

Some girl just got in trouble for listing tons of fan subbed manga titles on Ebay. One day she had a listing of 300, next day they were all gone . Titles like Chrno Crusade, SDE Kyo, etc. but these people always find ways around this and come back and sell fan subbed VCD's, english licensed & fan subbed Manga etc... No real way to stop them except for not buying in.
Silent Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 13:44   Link #5
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

funny, ultimately the anime does not belong to fansub groups, they don't have permission to sub it anyways. Isn't it a little hypocritical to say fansub groups should go after him?
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 15:55   Link #6
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

Because the fansubber's intent is to make anime more known to the world, not to profit from other people's work.
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 16:25   Link #7
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enragin_Angel
Because the fansubber's intent is to make anime more known to the world, not to profit from other people's work.
I'd rather be more comfortable with someone who's not involved in fansubbing reporting these people... Just to be on the safe-side of things, you know?
Gold_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 19:57   Link #8
Kheldar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold_Rogers
I'd rather be more comfortable with someone who's not involved in fansubbing reporting these people... Just to be on the safe-side of things, you know?
I'm rather in favor of this idea: people not involved in fansubbing report these people. I'm not involved in fansubbing. Can I count on some people here to help me write to that guy and, if need be, massively flame him? I already wrote him, and a good lot of my friends did as well, we're expecting his answer soon. But the more people complain, the more (i think and hope) he'll understand that making profit from other person's work is not appreciated (oh! what a merry understatement I just made )
Kheldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 13:18   Link #9
ichido reichan

Actually, you cant tell anybody how spend their money, if they wanna spend it on someone who sells the tasty fansubs on cd, is their problem, we are'nt "anime cops" or some sort.

Now what you can do is put a disclaimer in your fansub work that say" if you cant download this free fansub and you paid for it, you are an idiot" or " if you order this fansub from bakaneko.com and you gave him money, you are getting rip off"

but thats all you can do, there is still people outside who doesnt have cable/dsl connections or are poor as rats and the only anime they can enjoy is the ones that sells on cd, because fansub groups ignore you if you email them and ask for a price, they wont send the cds to you.

I wont mind to pay somebody 25-30 bucks for a 40-50 eps series that I dont have and is not availiable for DL, but that's me, is a jungle and you have to get your stuff for your own, luckily I stopped paying for fansubs ages ago when I got my DSL connection (just on time when bittorrent was invented, leech on IRC is hell)

but like I say, there is people who doesnt or cant afford getting the series we all enjoy and have to rely on this people, where is need, there is demand so I just put a disclaimer and forget about the thing, can't stop piracy being a pirate myself
ichido reichan is offline   Reply With Quote