2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-03, 14:34   Link #121
Filozof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hmmmm, no if you parse the sentence - he really isn't assuming you haven't considered that.

Its the "...FOR ALL THAT..." that shifts the meaning. Another way to say it is "despite being a very likeable character".

Isn't grammar fun?
i'm not playing. it all happened so it's real.
Old 2009-08-03, 15:35   Link #122
FTGT

I really like this forum at AnimeSuki

Why? Because you are not solely whining about the fact that there was not enough Holo(Ugh!) in this episode like in other forums, but rather appreciate the complex transactions and trading strategies taking place. *Thumbs up*

For those who are still confused, these were the best explanatory notes so far imo:
Spoiler for Explanations regarding the transactions:

I enjoyed this episode a lot since it concentrates on the sesond "main pillar" of this show, the business of a traveling merchant in medieval times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wOoOzZy View Post
Horo ftw. It'll be a cold day in hell before I write Holo.
Well, you know that there is this theory that "hell" is actually bitterly cold, since its the place farthest away from god, which in turn represents the brightness of life and love.

PS: But of course I missed Holo(Arrgh!) immense.
Old 2009-08-03, 17:10   Link #123
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTGT View Post

I enjoyed this episode a lot since it concentrates on the sesond "main pillar" of this show, the business of a traveling merchant in medieval times.
Amen to that. The economic gambits in this show I find much more entertaining than many of the labored ploys found in other animes.

I particularly found it enjoyable to watch Lawrence hatch up a plan of his own without any assistence from Horo.
Old 2009-08-03, 17:11   Link #124
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Go for the Norse.... Hel is a very cold place

If the series were simply 'fox girl ecchi', that can be found many other places. A story driven by WHAT the people are doing (trading/smuggling) and how their personalities mesh (romance/friendship/companionship) while they're doing it is simply much more interesting any day of the week than "o look her skirt is up again" or "whee, she's onscreen!" done ad nauseum.
Old 2009-08-03, 17:38   Link #125
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Sure, I, too, watch it for the economics.
Old 2009-08-03, 19:11   Link #126
velvet nightmare

btw did she sign the contract with her name using 'R' or 'L'

rofl, should that settle the way to spell horo's name? (i use R)
Old 2009-08-04, 02:41   Link #127
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
btw did she sign the contract with her name using 'R' or 'L'

rofl, should that settle the way to spell horo's name? (i use R)
she signed as "HOLO". It is spelled Holo in English and Horo in japanese.
It sounds "Horo" in the japanese sound, so we will see when it is released on US DVD how the English Dub will pronounce it.
Old 2009-08-04, 04:51   Link #128
puppygod

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
she signed as "HOLO". It is spelled Holo in English and Horo in japanese.
It sounds "Horo" in the japanese sound, so we will see when it is released on US DVD how the English Dub will pronounce it.
No, it doesn't. Japanese phoneme used in ロ is neither English "r" or "l", but it's similar to either, so both romanizations "ro" and "lo" are used, and both are valid. There is no single correct way to write it. Personally I prefer Horo, but that's because I'm used to Hepburn romanization method. In the original materials they seem to prefer "Holo" romanization. Well, It's one of those "whatever rocks your boat" kind of things.
Old 2009-08-04, 08:25   Link #129
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
god I feel stupid. It took me a half hour to figure out exactly how his plan works.

I have 4 rocks, each are worth 1 dollar
I want you to buy these 4 rocks on credit (give me 4 dollars, and I'll give you 4 rocks tommorow)

HOWEVER the price of these rocks can change.

Tommorow, 1 rock could be worth 4 dollars, or it could be worth 4 pennies
Either way, I only owe you 4 rocks, and you owe me 4 dollars.

that's how it works. lmao it took me a while to grasp that concept.

as for the whole horo/holo thing
I write Horo but say ホロ lmao that's the only way to describe it

もいちど。。。
Old 2009-08-04, 18:35   Link #130
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post
god I feel stupid. It took me a half hour to figure out exactly how his plan works.
Don't beat yourself up over it, plenty of people didn't get it at first. I might not have if I hadn't known of this beforehand. The economics of the show are simplified but it's still economics.

You know what'S the bauty of it? Lawrence didn't even have the Pyrite he sold Amati yet.
Old 2009-08-04, 19:08   Link #131
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yes. And if his plan works, he'll be buying it for pennies. If it doesn't, it'll still be horribly expensive, and Lawrence will be out of cash.
Old 2009-08-04, 20:41   Link #132
Yuutsu

Wait, I'm still slightly confused.

Let's take Nenkitsune's example. Say the rocks dropped to pennies-in-price tomorrow. Good. Now Lawrence has enough to buy a whole bunch of rocks; however, let's say he only purchases 4 and keeps the rest of the of the remaining 4 dollars to himself. He's made a lot of money while Amati has been ripped off.

On the other hand, if the rocks rise in price, then Lawrence will be hard-pressed to even purchase 4 rocks with the money he has. He can't pay Amati back tomorrow, hence he's in debt. So basically, Lawrence loses if he isn't able to crash the pyrite market by tomorrow.

So, does that mean Lawrence's plan is to basically use the 500 silver he got from Amati to buy pyrite cheaply from the alchemists, and then flood it in the market to reduce the prices dramatically before tomorrow?

Last edited by Yuutsu; 2009-08-04 at 20:44. Reason: Small error in one of the sentences.
Old 2009-08-04, 21:34   Link #133
AKnightWhoSaysNi!
Bring me a shrubbery!

^ yup, but during trading tomorrow. You got it.
Old 2009-08-07, 00:40   Link #134
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuutsu View Post

So, does that mean Lawrence's plan is to basically use the 500 silver he got from Amati to buy pyrite cheaply from the alchemists, and then flood it in the market to reduce the prices dramatically before tomorrow?
Almost. There's also the bit about spreading rumors that people should start selling wheat soon.

See, the Pyrite isn't why the merchants are flooding the city, it's just a profitable sideline, a bubble, and everyone knows it. Merchants are there for the foodstuffs. Flour and wheat are the main event.

If Lawrence can drive down the price even a wee little bit, other merchants will start selling too to gather much needed capital to buy what they really came for. This would have the effect of driving the price down even further, so others are then forced to sell their own stocks to cut their losses. Prices go down even faster. The beauty of this plan? Lawrence isn't doing the heavy lifting, the market is doing most of the work for him.

Lawrence is basically trying to make an entire city dance to his tune. Working with an half-formed plan, borrowed capital and pure ballsiness. In the course of a single night.
Old 2009-08-08, 16:55   Link #135
Lightly_Toasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppygod View Post
No, it doesn't. Japanese phoneme used in ロ is neither English "r" or "l", but it's similar to either, so both romanizations "ro" and "lo" are used, and both are valid. There is no single correct way to write it. Personally I prefer Horo, but that's because I'm used to Hepburn romanization method. In the original materials they seem to prefer "Holo" romanization. Well, It's one of those "whatever rocks your boat" kind of things.
But regardless it should still be pronounced like Horo. But I highly doubt they will.
I can picture it now. They will Rap the introduction to it. GOTO GO GOTO GO! HEAD NORTH, don't give up HOLO, go NORTH DON'T GIVE IT UP HOLO YOITSU, ITS STILL THERE HOLO! DON'T GIVE GIVE IT UP GIVE IT UP! HERES HOW THE STORY GOES WE FIND OUT HOW THERES A WOLF GODESS in PASROE THERES NO DOUBT, THERE'S A MERCHANT NAMED LAWRENCE YOU KNOW WHAT HE'LL SING I'LL BE KING OF THE MERCHANTS, I'M GONNA BE KING! HER NAM'E'S HOLO SHES JUST LIKE A WOLFY GOD and M-E-R-CHANT LAWRENCE ISN'T SHY!

But anyway I just love the quiet intensity that builds in this episode.
Old 2009-08-10, 06:42   Link #136
FTGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightly_Toasted View Post
I can picture it now. They will Rap the introduction to it. GOTO GO GOTO GO! HEAD NORTH, don't give up HOLO, go NORTH DON'T GIVE IT UP HOLO YOITSU, ITS STILL THERE HOLO! DON'T GIVE GIVE IT UP GIVE IT UP! HERES HOW THE STORY GOES WE FIND OUT HOW THERES A WOLF GODESS in PASROE THERES NO DOUBT, THERE'S A MERCHANT NAMED LAWRENCE YOU KNOW WHAT HE'LL SING I'LL BE KING OF THE MERCHANTS, I'M GONNA BE KING! HER NAM'E'S HOLO SHES JUST LIKE A WOLFY GOD and M-E-R-CHANT LAWRENCE ISN'T SHY!
ARRRGGHH.... anything but no rap please!

I would rather expect a "gospel song", "chants" or a similar prayerful song.
Closed Thread