AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-09, 22:03   Link #1361
Hiroshi Amearai
Nuclear Fusion

Quote:
Although.. I was disappointed that Hakuei didn't even make one appearance. I'm also pretty curious about spear/scarface guy. He looks a lot like Hakuei, so I'll just assume they're related.
He's Hakuryuu. Hakurei did mention that he is her brother before.
Old 2013-01-09, 22:54   Link #1362
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Nah.

Even if that was in the books to originally happen I'm sure after the manga sales shot through the roof they would've changed that shit. They're probably annoyed at themselves in hindsight for animating so much of Magi in the first go round, but you can't undo what's done... a second season is going to be a long way away because of that.... they're pretty much going to have to adapt the entirety of the current arc which just got started... though I guess it's a good thing to know they can do 120 chapters in 26 episodes!
Well on that front, it definitely encouraged me to go out and read the manga. And for what it's worth, I thought the anime seemed rushed even before I read the manga, but now that I read the manga the disparity is even worse than I imagined. The adaption isn't the most terrible one I've seen, but it's disappointing. Especially when you consider the fact that now we won't see any more Magi anime for years at this rate.

I think the criticisms of the anime are perfectly valid. The anime can still be a decent watch in spite of that, and provide some fanservice for manga readers with animation of some of their favorite scenes. However, manga readers are of course going to be displeased when an inferior version of something they love is presented to other audiences. An anime adaption doesn't need to translate everything perfectly 1-1, but the rate of the adaption here is just ridiculously fast.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 10:06   Link #1363
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Amearai View Post
He's Hakuryuu. Hakurei did mention that he is her brother before.
Oh, that's right, she did! My bad.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 11:35   Link #1364
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Put it this way:

The anime will do whatever material they're gonna do, but the manga can elaborate even more on stuff not shown. At least, that's how I look at it...
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 12:33   Link #1365
CJ_Walker

Wait, so the second season is gonna be in 2016?!?! where did you hear all of that from?? From the way the manga is going now, by the time ep 26 hits, he could be VER close to finishing the show, he'd just need the show to not run for the second 2-cour part, and just run the rest of the anime after that for 26 more eps...

I don't mind the pacing issues blah blah blah, I just get annoyed at the fact that studios cream their pants too soon by jumping the gun and adapting a series in which the source material is no where near complete i.e. zetman, Naruto deadman wonderland, chrome shelled regios, d.gray man, bleach, soul eater . . .I can go on for days listing shows like that.

If this is gonna be another one like that, then I'll just marathon it when it's done.

Also, it seems in the Manga/anime world, a lot of creators develop "George R.R. Martin syndrome"

in which they keep the story going on ...and on. . .and on...and on.. instead of just GETTING TO THE POINT and ending it in a timely manner. . .not stretching it on until death do us part... the only thing I can KIND of excuse (but not really) is one piece, mostly because Oda's already foreshadowed pretty much what he's got planned for the whole story. He has the story outline pretty much done, and has basically told the readers what he plans to do, just the execution is taking so damn long.

but most of those that I mentioned? all of those had the author pretty much writing themselves into a corner, meander with the story for way too long, and find themselves at a loss of how to end their story. . .

This is pretty much my main gripe with anime/manga at this point. Stories have a beginning middle and end. . . not a beginning, and middle that goes on for years and years and years to either have some abrupt b.s. end (Negima, although that wasn't really all Ken's fault) or just. . .never end.

I think if authors really buckled down and got serious about making a cohesive story and got the the point, then it would be a lot better for everyone involved, Animes could be made that had satisfying stories at a decent length, mangakas would be able to make more money since their story is going to have its popularity boosted by going to anime and not having to worry about catching up to unfinished material, which would increase the amount of great titles to choose from, which would in turn, encourage more people to buy those titles...and on and on.

but there's a lot of short sightedness in Japan (in a variety of entertainment industries. . .speaking from experience) in which everyone sacrifices long term growth, for short term gains (happens in the states too but Japan its really surprising how much MORE it happens there.)
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 15:58   Link #1366
MartianMage

Better late than never...

I just got into Magi and I'm really enjoying both manga and anime. Hoping to get the rest of the manga adapted!
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 17:04   Link #1367
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
Wait, so the second season is gonna be in 2016?!?! where did you hear all of that from?? From the way the manga is going now, by the time ep 26 hits, he could be VER close to finishing the show, he'd just need the show to not run for the second 2-cour part, and just run the rest of the anime after that for 26 more eps...

I don't mind the pacing issues blah blah blah, I just get annoyed at the fact that studios cream their pants too soon by jumping the gun and adapting a series in which the source material is no where near complete i.e. zetman, Naruto deadman wonderland, chrome shelled regios, d.gray man, bleach, soul eater . . .I can go on for days listing shows like that.

If this is gonna be another one like that, then I'll just marathon it when it's done.
Well....from a business point of view, if a series isn't attracting the ratings/demographic that the producers of the anime want, then of course, it's probaly going to be canceled. I'm not at all familar with how Japanese television works obviously, but I would imagine if something's not gelling with its intended audience, why waste money on producing more episodes?

And while I don't know anything about the shows you mentioned, Bleach needed to die. So does Naruto.

And besides, if a series goes on for a long time, it loses steam and starts going downhill...which is what happened to Bleach. Oda and One Piece just hit the jackpot.

Quote:
Also, it seems in the Manga/anime world, a lot of creators develop "George R.R. Martin syndrome"
LOL. Wut?

Maybe I just haven't seen anything that comes close like that...though I hear that the author of Berserk just publishes whenever...same with the artist who does Hunter X Hunter

Quote:
but most of those that I mentioned? all of those had the author pretty much writing themselves into a corner, meander with the story for way too long, and find themselves at a loss of how to end their story. . .
Another thing I just thought of...sometimes by the time a series is at its end, the anime team runs out of material to cover and has to write an ending that doesn't necessarily make sense.

Didn't the mangaka of D Grayman stop for awhile since they were in the hospital?

Quote:
This is pretty much my main gripe with anime/manga at this point. Stories have a beginning middle and end. . . not a beginning, and middle that goes on for years and years and years to either have some abrupt b.s. end (Negima, although that wasn't really all Ken's fault) or just. . .never end.

I think if authors really buckled down and got serious about making a cohesive story and got the the point, then it would be a lot better for everyone involved, Animes could be made that had satisfying stories at a decent length, mangakas would be able to make more money since their story is going to have its popularity boosted by going to anime and not having to worry about catching up to unfinished material, which would increase the amount of great titles to choose from, which would in turn, encourage more people to buy those titles...and on and on.

but there's a lot of short sightedness in Japan (in a variety of entertainment industries. . .speaking from experience) in which everyone sacrifices long term growth, for short term gains (happens in the states too but Japan its really surprising how much MORE it happens there.)

Again, Japan has their own set of rules for what makes a series sucessful.

In this case, since its characters are in the polls in anime magazines, I'm sure Magi will be around for quite some time.
Old 2013-01-11, 00:44   Link #1368
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Looks like Space Cruiser Yamato remake is taking the nichi-go spot after Magi.

Hopefully when manga volumes are up to vol. 20~24ish they can have another season.
The anime has been very successful and the manga volumes increased exponentially since the anime started, in fact more Magi volumes sold in 2012 than all the previous years combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
While I agree that it's annoying, you have to realize that business-wise "missing" the best time to cash in can result in massive potential loss. If Harry Potter made the movies years after the hype was already died down, it may not have been as much success. Of course, "rekindling" the hype can happen and has happened many times, it's not nearly as reliable a gain.
You're looking at it from completely uninvolved viewer standpoint, while the companies are looking for gains.

You may argue by bringing up Jojo, but IMO, Shuueisha could have made much higher profit margin were they to pursue that franchise back in the 80s than right now.
Old 2013-01-11, 06:08   Link #1369
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Well, I just caught up and now I'm a little sadden that I have to wait for the next episode to come out. lol

The new OP is great! Dat Morgiana

Last edited by playmaker2k; 2013-01-11 at 08:51.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 12:42   Link #1370
Folenfant
Banned

Kougyoku strikes me as someone who would be far more comfortable with a knights sword in her hand rather than a queens crowd on her head. You almost get the sense she's envious of Hakuei in this episode as opposed to feeling more privileged because of her official princess status like she claimed.
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 13:04   Link #1371
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folenfant View Post
Kougyoku strikes me as someone who would be far more comfortable with a knights sword in her hand rather than a queens crowd on her head. You almost get the sense she's envious of Hakuei in this episode as opposed to feeling more privileged because of her official princess status like she claimed.
"Official Princess" just means "political pawn". They are married off the strengthen ties with other kingdoms. They don't even get to see what their future husbands look like until the ceremony.
Old 2013-01-13, 20:28   Link #1372
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 14:
Old 2013-01-13, 21:56   Link #1373
Ray
Garnet

This thread is strangely quiet..

I wasn't expecting things to be resolved in the manner that they were. Alibaba did well in those talks.

Kougyoku.. is surprisingly likable. On first impression, she seemed very violent and probably still is. But it was nice to see that she doesn't seem to favor violence over talking things out, even if agreeing to Alibaba and Sinbad's terms was something she'd personally benefit from. Oh, and she's quite cute with all her blushing.

Since people were talking about how the manga is superior to the anime, I feel like I should check it out since I'm enjoying the anime so much, but reading the manga may decrease my enjoyment of the anime (as fast paced as it may be) and it may disappoint me in the long run if it turns out not as superior as people here have claimed it is. So, I must ask: is it really all that much better?
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 22:17   Link #1374
Hiroshi Amearai
Nuclear Fusion

I think you should try the manga only when the anime has ended. It's better that way.
Old 2013-01-13, 22:27   Link #1375
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

Resolution for the country: Democracy!! How many shounen series have a diplomat solution like this ? I bet not enough to count on my hand and this is one of Magi's strong points .

Kougyoku just agreed with Alibaba so she can meet Sindbad again
Old 2013-01-13, 22:30   Link #1376
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Since people were talking about how the manga is superior to the anime, I feel like I should check it out since I'm enjoying the anime so much, but reading the manga may decrease my enjoyment of the anime (as fast paced as it may be) and it may disappoint me in the long run if it turns out not as superior as people here have claimed it is. So, I must ask: is it really all that much better?
It's okay. I like both equally...I mean, I do suspect that the anime will probaly take some liberty with some things...but to me? It's not as much of a big deal as it might be to someone else.

Good episode: looks like Kassim returns next week. And I can't tell who's the real mastermind with the dark rukh, since they're both voiced by Shinichiro Miki...

I kind of like Kougkyou though...she seems smart enough to realize that everything's bs. She'll make a good politician one day.

Though I suspect that she agreed more so she can go ogle Sinbad some more..
Old 2013-01-14, 00:05   Link #1377
Forever
Revealing the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
It's okay. I like both equally...I mean, I do suspect that the anime will probaly take some liberty with some things...but to me? It's not as much of a big deal as it might be to someone else.

Good episode: looks like Kassim returns next week. And I can't tell who's the real mastermind with the dark rukh, since they're both voiced by Shinichiro Miki...

I kind of like Kougkyou though...she seems smart enough to realize that everything's bs. She'll make a good politician one day.

Though I suspect that she agreed more so she can go ogle Sinbad some more..
Hmm unfortunately she will be a highly corrupt politician seeing that she is so easily swayed by temptation (sinbad)

Finally, ali baba became worthy of the main character today. He managed to conjure a win win peaceful solution...

Too bad Mor cant become a princess now...
Old 2013-01-14, 00:10   Link #1378
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Too bad Mor cant become a princess now...
There's still hope! Alibaba isn't the only prince in the world
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 00:39   Link #1379
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
There's still hope! Alibaba isn't the only prince in the world
You just made me remember that freaking brat.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 02:12   Link #1380
Hiroshi Amearai
Nuclear Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
You just made me remember that freaking brat.
But that is a spoiler...
With the way it is, I think it's safe to say that this arc will end in 2 more episodes.

Tags
action-adventure, fantasy, shounen