AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

View Poll Results: favorite genre
Hip-Hop 26 3.92%
Rap 12 1.81%
Rock 175 26.36%
Country 6 0.90%
Heavy Metal 106 15.96%
Pop 59 8.89%
Classical 57 8.58%
Other... 223 33.58%
Voters: 664. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-11-24, 23:18   Link #1
quikimpulse
Suicidal Maniac!!!!!

Favorite music genre?

Hey, i wanted to post here to see what type of music that everyone likes on Animesuki forums. If you must know mine, I would tell u my favorite type of music is Hip-hop and rap. I know everyone is going to have their differences, but these are my preferences. Post here if u would like to tell me yours
quikimpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-25, 02:40   Link #2
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Rock n' Roll

I used to be a huge fan of pop, but now it seems like the same music themes are just being constantly re-hashed. Plus pop is a more commercialized venue where appearances tend to come before the quality of the music. Rock has really grown on me cause there's a lot of raw emotion, awesome guitar riffs, and great music with driving rhythms that just suck you into the song
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-25, 10:49   Link #3
quikimpulse
Suicidal Maniac!!!!!

Actually most people think rock n' roll is dead. The early years in rock in roll were the best becasue people sung about things everyone could relate to. But now alot of the rock n' roll artist sing about the same things. Alot of them seem to sing about satan and hell. I mean really, not many people worship or praise satan. Even though i know not all rock n' roll artist sing about this, its usually the ones who get the most attention who talk about these sorts of things. As for hip-hop and rap, most people don't have a open mind about these two genre. They seem to stereotype it alot and think everything is the same about all the musicians. Thats because most of the people who say this have probably not even listened to hip-hop or rap at all. But hey you're always going to find people like that anywhere, just the way things are.
quikimpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-25, 14:15   Link #4
Tsu
Burorororou

Send a message via MSN to Tsu
I can't really say one specific genre, since I like a lot of different styles. I do have a preference for happy-themed songs, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikimpulse
But now alot of the rock n' roll artist sing about the same things. Alot of them seem to sing about satan and hell. I mean really, not many people worship or praise satan. Even though i know not all rock n' roll artist sing about this, its usually the ones who get the most attention who talk about these sorts of things.
You sure you're talking about rock 'n' roll and not rock? There is a difference after all, even if rock did evolve from rock 'n'roll.
Tsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-25, 22:46   Link #5
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikimpulse
Actually most people think rock n' roll is dead. The early years in rock in roll were the best becasue people sung about things everyone could relate to. But now alot of the rock n' roll artist sing about the same things. Alot of them seem to sing about satan and hell. I mean really, not many people worship or praise satan. Even though i know not all rock n' roll artist sing about this, its usually the ones who get the most attention who talk about these sorts of things. As for hip-hop and rap, most people don't have a open mind about these two genre. They seem to stereotype it alot and think everything is the same about all the musicians. Thats because most of the people who say this have probably not even listened to hip-hop or rap at all. But hey you're always going to find people like that anywhere, just the way things are.
Are you sure you're listening to rock n' roll? What you're describing sounds more like the hard rock and metallic genres. Rock n' roll tends to deal with themes of love, freedom, problems, etc...I can't even recall a rock n' roll song that praises satan.

I think you also kinda misunderstood what I said about pop music...I was referring to pop, not hip-hop. I.E. Britney spears, madonna, hillary duff, etc....
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-26, 10:50   Link #6
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Post-rock (Sigur Ros, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai) is my genre of choice. Followed quickly by indie (Interpol, The Shins, Belle & Sebastian, Broken Social Scene, Wilco) and emo (Dashboard Confessional, Something Corporate, The Juliana Theory). And trip-hop (Portishead, Massive Attack, Zero 7, Thievery Corporation, Hooverphonic). Those are definitely my favorite genres.

I also like JPop, but it's one of my guilty pleasures.

EDIT: Thought bands would be a good idea.

Last edited by killmoms; 2004-11-26 at 21:15.
killmoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-26, 14:50   Link #7
7thMethuselah

I like all kinda music : my most treasured genre's are New-Wave (they should rename this to old-wave by now ), some Gothic&Electro, Grunge, Rock, some Metal, Techno Dance songs and extremely sad sad songs.
For example
Most CD from 1 group : the Cure (20+)
Latest concert I went to : Rammstein (month ago)
Last CD I bought : Avril Lavigne
Next CD to buy : a dance/techno one
Current radio station listening to : an 80'ies hits station

So it's safe to say I like all styles of music
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-26, 15:49   Link #8
Wang Hung Lo
Death to False Music

Send a message via AIM to Wang Hung Lo Send a message via MSN to Wang Hung Lo Send a message via Yahoo to Wang Hung Lo
That's a tough one.

Thrash Metal (Vio-lence, Hirax, Death Angel)
New Wave of British Heavy Metal (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Tygers of Pan Tang) Jazz Fusion (Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Thrill, Radioactive Sago Project)
Garage Punk (Zodiac Killers, The Rip Offs, The Makers)
Rock n Roll (Guitar Wolf, Teengenerate, Mooney Suzuki, The Stooges)
Jazz Hip Hop (Guru, SVC)
Rap in general, nerd, gangster, political

That's all that really comes to mind right now.
Wang Hung Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-18, 16:13   Link #9
Princess Serena

I guess I would go with other. lol

I like rock/grunge and power metal.

So bands:
Silverchair, Pearl Jam, Queens of the Stone Age, Nightwish, Masterplan etc...
Princess Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-18, 16:23   Link #10
Imazul

Power Metal owns me.

Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Helloween, Hammerfall, pretty much everything close to power/speed metal.

But I like pretty much every genre excluding only rap and r&b.
Imazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-18, 16:42   Link #11
Princess Serena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imazul
Power Metal owns me.

Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Helloween, Hammerfall, pretty much everything close to power/speed metal.

But I like pretty much every genre excluding only rap and r&b.
OMGood lawd!! You like Power Metal!!??

Nightwish pwns!! and Sonata Arctica!!!

dude, lol your so like me. I do like basically all the other genres except rap and R&B

Nightwish <3.
Princess Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-18, 21:18   Link #12
Rachy
Disabled By Request

Tool... should be a genre of its own, right? ^_^.
Rachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-18, 22:00   Link #13
Sakura-chan
A complex "maybe"

Send a message via AIM to Sakura-chan Send a message via MSN to Sakura-chan
All hail Nightwish? xD
As for me, I guess, metal, rock and industrial would be it.
Or how about "heavy-pop-rock-latin-world-jazz-avant-garde-metal-blues"? Add hiphop soewhere in there and I'll be happy xD
Sakura-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-18, 22:23   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm not sure what those names even mean anymore ... when *I* say "rock" or "metal" or "classical" .... I find all three terms are very squishy in meaning to other people. I mean... the Eagles were classified as "rock" as were the Rolling Stones ... but if you listen... their tunes could easily be mistaken for country music with extra amplification. And the stuff they call "country" (e.g. Shania Twain, etc) has so little to do with country (gospel, bluegrass, appalachian, texas, mariachi....)
Where does one put Stevie Ray Vaughn? Rock? Blues? Country?

Okay.. that said --- I like most kinds of music. its just the shoveling through the crap in any genre to find the gems that takes time.
I *tend* to reach for harder edged music with complex rhythms (Tull, Zeppelin, System-of-a-Down), certain types of j-pop, or classical and ethnic music.
But I've got everything from medieval chants, Dean Martin, AC/DC, KOTOKO, Beethoven, Willie Nelson, ZZTop, Tibetan chants, Ray Lynch, Offspring, Chuck Berry, Sonata Artica, random trance/industrial/electronica, to musical soundtracks. About the only thing I tend to avoid is "gangsta hiphop" which I find boring and a massive pose.
Old 2006-02-19, 07:55   Link #15
Gaia
ROW! ROW! FIGHT DA POWAH!
*Graphic Designer

Electronic Music - Dance/Trance/etc...
Metal - Melodic/Speed/Power/etc...
Classic - Piano/Orgel/Violin/etc...
Orchestra
Rock* - Depends on the artist...
Pop*- Like above...

...and combinations of those genre's. Doujinshi music i.e. Well, not to forget Video Game Music itself, but I wouldnt call it a genre.
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-19, 09:50   Link #16
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

Indie--> American analogue set, Oasis, Blur, Coldplay, Jose Gonzalez (chilled stuff =D ), kasier cheifs (they from leeds! )
chilled alternative--> Zero7, Goldfrapp, Frou Frou
Drum and bass-->Pendulum, Klute, London Electricity, LTJ Bukem
Dance-->Massive attack, Bassment jaxx, kosheen
stuff like that, i do like some rap songs and some heavy metal songs, but they just dont float my boat
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-19, 10:48   Link #17
Krsnick02

Fav genre: let`s call it "Rock"
Fav band`s:
-Tool(can`t wait for new album ^.^)
-A Perfect Circle
-Dream Theater
-Genesis
-Peter Gabriel
-Marillion
-Nine Inch Nails
-Death
I could write down WHOLE lot more bands but just don`t have all day ^.^
Krsnick02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 01:39   Link #18
Dante_Grim
Juice Crew Affiliate

Why are Hip Hop and Rap seperated? Anyway, my favorite genre is rap....
Dante_Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 01:47   Link #19
Tsu
Burorororou

Send a message via MSN to Tsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_Grim
Why are Hip Hop and Rap seperated? Anyway, my favorite genre is rap....
Rap is a form of execution, Hip Hop is a genre. Not all rap is Hip Hop.
Tsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 19:10   Link #20
Hellsinger
~Contra Mundi~

METAL ALL THE WAY \m/
i like most of the (sub)genres in metal ^_^

but i also like j-rock, j-pop and vgm.
Hellsinger is offline   Reply With Quote