AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2016-02-14, 19:25   Link #3621
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Why is everybody always so obsessed by having people die in a "meaningful way"? I always find deaths that are sudden and "meaningless" more impactful.
Denial stage aside, a character's death is also the end of all character development for that character. In Pyrrha's case, we won't be able to see any progress in her relationship with Jaune, and whatever background we'd learn about Pyrrha's life would be instead explored through the surviving cast.

Quote:
Some of us aren't so bothered by things that we NEED to talk shit about it.
No "talking shit" is needed. That's just my vocabulary at work. Any kind of wholesome conversation about the issues of RWBY is welcome.

Quote:
Triggering Ruby's power and stopping the dragon wasn't meaningful? What do you mean by meaningful?
That's Ruby being meaningful and Pyrrha being a means to an end.
Come to think of it, though. Has the typical Pyrrha won a fight all by herself? I don't think she was given the chance to do so.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 19:29   Link #3622
Twi

@ Bakoto
Roman getting munched may have been because of the negativity, but it only served to save Ruby, who was getting her butt handed to her. She didn't overcome the challenge put before her, or manipulate him into feeling that way on purpose, she literally lucked into it and it saved her life, just so she could get to the final battle and pull that lightshow.

She summoned a baby sword, and we never saw her practicing after then. It's not that the summoning is an a-pull, it's that she summoned it just because a classmate she's hardly seen talking to was in danger. Neptune should have been the one about to get his face wrecked, then it'd feel more meaningful.
Old 2016-02-14, 19:51   Link #3623
Romanticide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Come to think of it, though. Has the typical Pyrrha won a fight all by herself? I don't think she was given the chance to do so.
She's won a lot of fights, off-screen and before Beacon, all thanks to her OP Semblance.
Romanticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 19:55   Link #3624
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ That's the thing, they are all off-screen.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2016-02-14, 20:02   Link #3625
Router25
World Connector. I think

If it was for the long haul, then there might be also handling the world's mysteries (hooray for more WoR!). I hope each new episode becomes longer as they improve their animation methods.
Old 2016-02-14, 20:05   Link #3626
tuckersister

Volume 4 will probably be out this fall. The season will probably involve members of RWBY picking themselves up after the invasion. Certain new characters will help them get back slowly. We will probably get to see Haven. Ozpin will appear at one point and explain why he had to disappear. Probably be info about the "silver eyes" and Summer's past. There we be a character that will be as strong as Salem (other than Ozpin). I really hope witches and mages with be in RWBY (would be freakin' awesomer than the maidens). Though there needs to be an explain why they did show up in the previous volumes.

I really like to see Ruby flying on a broomstick. She probably would have a hard time landing than flying. Imagine her crash landing every time.

Anyway, we will see how vol 4 unfolds.
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 20:19   Link #3627
bakato

Quote:
That's Ruby being meaningful and Pyrrha being a means to an end. Come to think of it, though. Has the typical Pyrrha won a fight all by herself? I don't think she was given the chance to do so.
If that's how you see it, then there was no such thing as a meaningful death to begin with. You focusing too much on the results, which is little to you. At the time of her decision, things were bleak. There was little chance of Qrow, Glynda, and Ironwood making it in time to save the day before the relay tower was destroyed and humanity took its first step towards extinction. She knew she didn't stand a chance and chose to fight for time, for hope. The tower still fell, she died, but Ruby awakened her powers and stopped the dragon. However, little that means it means something and that makes her death meaningful. From now on, when Ruby uses her powers that will be a testament to her sacrifice.

She mopped the floor with CRDN and as Qrow said carried her team to the finals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
@ Bakoto
Roman getting munched may have been because of the negativity, but it only served to save Ruby, who was getting her butt handed to her. She didn't overcome the challenge put before her, or manipulate him into feeling that way on purpose, she literally lucked into it and it saved her life, just so she could get to the final battle and pull that lightshow.

She summoned a baby sword, and we never saw her practicing after then. It's not that the summoning is an a-pull, it's that she summoned it just because a classmate she's hardly seen talking to was in danger. Neptune should have been the one about to get his face wrecked, then it'd feel more meaningful.
But it makes sense. You can't just poke holes in writing saying it was for the purpose of saving a character when the means that were used were completely legal.

But it wasn't a matter of practice. That whole episode implied that Weiss' trouble wasn't a matter of technique. It was a psychological barrier, which she overcame through a leap of faith by acting on the spur of the moment. It's basically one of those shounen power-ups only foreshadowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckersister View Post
Volume 4 will probably be out this fall. The season will probably involve members of RWBY picking themselves up after the invasion. Certain new characters will help them get back slowly. We will probably get to see Haven. Ozpin will appear at one point and explain why he had to disappear. Probably be info about the "silver eyes" and Summer's past. There we be a character that will be as strong as Salem (other than Ozpin). I really hope witches and mages with be in RWBY (would be freakin' awesomer than the maidens). Though there needs to be an explain why they did show up in the previous volumes.

I really like to see Ruby flying on a broomstick. She probably would have a hard time landing than flying. Imagine her crash landing every time.

Anyway, we will see how vol 4 unfolds.
I think you're expecting a little too much for a single volume.

Forget the broom. She can just ride her scythe like Maka from Soul Eater.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 20:30   Link #3628
GundamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Triggering Ruby's power and stopping the dragon wasn't meaningful? What do you mean by meaningful?
Marcus sort covered it those were Ruby. I'd have like to seen Pyrrha directly impact things like cripple the dragon or wound Cinder enough she had to withdraw and die in the process.

Quote:
Well she did do a number on Team CRDL by herself.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 20:35   Link #3629
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Emotional triggers to latent powers are an effective and obviously common trope in any medium. This was no exception. Ruby saw 2 friends die and Yang lose an arm. At that point I was expecting something to boil over and it did.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 20:37   Link #3630
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
If that's how you see it, then there was no such thing as a meaningful death to begin with. You focusing too much on the results, which is little to you. At the time of her decision, things were bleak. There was little chance of Qrow, Glynda, and Ironwood making it in time to save the day before the relay tower was destroyed and humanity took its first step towards extinction. She knew she didn't stand a chance and chose to fight for time, for hope. The tower still fell, she died, but Ruby awakened her powers and stopped the dragon. However, little that means it means something and that makes her death meaningful. From now on, when Ruby uses her powers that will be a testament to her sacrifice.
Thing is, when you die, it's all over. You can't do anything, and you'll be a source of grief to your friends, allies and family. We're not talking about real life here; we're talking about a world where nasty creatures like to make snacks out of humans with negative emotions. If not for Ruby having those "angelic eyes", she would have died too, since she's clearly in rage there.

As it stands, Ruby's burst of power is a mystery, which hopefully would be explained soon. And no Qrow telling bullshit, please.

Old 2016-02-14, 20:56   Link #3631
dragonroots
Carefree Dragon

Wow, heavy episode, Pyrrha was one of the last people i expected to die. I don't quite get why she challenged Cinder on her own, given that the battle was lost and evacuation was already underway in that situation the smarter move would have been one of two imo, attempt to get to the evacuation site in the mass chaos or hide nd wait for the initial chaos to die down and escape when tension is low. As for Ruby's power, it was clearly not a part of Cinders calculations and will likely cause Ruby to be a major target in the future. Yang needs someone to light her fire again (should be easy enough given her temper), Weiss needs to stand up to her dad, and Blake, as usual i don't know what she's thinking but she probably had a good reason for going AWOL. And that person at the end of the episode, i really want to know who that was, my guess is it's a corrupted Summer Rose or at the very least the one who killed her.
Old 2016-02-14, 21:05   Link #3632
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonroots View Post
Wow, heavy episode, Pyrrha was one of the last people i expected to die. I don't quite get why she challenged Cinder on her own, given that the battle was lost and evacuation was already underway in that situation the smarter move would have been one of two imo, attempt to get to the evacuation site in the mass chaos or hide nd wait for the initial chaos to die down and escape when tension is low. As for Ruby's power, it was clearly not a part of Cinders calculations and will likely cause Ruby to be a major target in the future. Yang needs someone to light her fire again (should be easy enough given her temper), Weiss needs to stand up to her dad, and Blake, as usual i don't know what she's thinking but she probably had a good reason for going AWOL. And that person at the end of the episode, i really want to know who that was, my guess is it's a corrupted Summer Rose or at the very least the one who killed her.
The relay tower.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 21:06   Link #3633
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonroots View Post
I'm pretty sure Blake left to try and take on Adam and the rest of the White Fang herself. She obviously blames herself for what happened to Yang and now she pretty much feels that anyone that gets to close to her will just get hurt in the end.
Old 2016-02-14, 21:13   Link #3634
Twi

Then I expect Adam will have her chained up in his room, because she sure as hell didn't win that last fight and a couple of months of level grinding ain't going to change that.
Old 2016-02-14, 21:19   Link #3635
Tormenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
I have a hard time beliving Roman is dead either. Swallowed whole is often an excuse for a Jonah trope, and given Roman's inspiration, that's particularly appropriate.
Count me in as well but the fact the Griffon ended up as a fiery explosion that also brought down the ship Roman hijacked leaves even lesser wiggle room for him to come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post

None of them were around. He was lucky to have Jaune. Don't you realize that one of the primary goals of this invasion was to separate and isolate the most dangerous fighters and pick them off one by one? It apparently worked with Ozpin, with the second half of the Maiden powers a bonus prize.
You got the wrong poster quoted for your reply since I sure wasn't the one complaining about Jaune for the wrong reasons.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 21:21   Link #3636
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Emotional triggers to latent powers are an effective and obviously common trope in any medium. This was no exception. Ruby saw 2 friends die and Yang lose an arm. At that point I was expecting something to boil over and it did.
Yeah, but there was no foreshadowing that she even had said hidden power. It'd be one thing if it was like Jaune and we knew he had a Semblance but not what it was, but there was no indication that her eyes were anything special barring a throwaway line at the beginning of the series. It feels forced.
Old 2016-02-14, 21:48   Link #3637
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Yeah, but there was no foreshadowing that she even had said hidden power. It'd be one thing if it was like Jaune and we knew he had a Semblance but not what it was, but there was no indication that her eyes were anything special barring a throwaway line at the beginning of the series. It feels forced.
I think the eye powers are bad enough that they deserve a name. Speshul Ayys, maybe?

In any case, I'm having trouble thinking of something with the Speshul Ayys that isn't poorly done. In large part, they're terrible because we had no indication that something like this existed. At all. We even had the broad history of Remanent, in that

Life sucks -> Discovers Dust -> Fights Grimm with Dust -> Life sucks less -> Life gets pretty good -> Megadeath casualties

At no point in any of the little history blurbs did we get an indication of silvery-eyed Übermensch that protected humans from the Grimm. It just gets thrown out there. Really, that's just lazy writing. Almost as bad as the timing of the whole thing; just right to let things get really bad, but soon enough for the Main Character to Save The Day, and conveniently knocking out the main character long enough to avoid having to actually consider the effects of the battle.

Perhaps worse, Pyrrha died so that Ruby could save the day with her Speshul Ayys. Not in-universe; from that perspective, Pyrrha died for nothing and Ruby Saved The Day. It just worked out that way. But that's the core trait of a Mary Sue; things simplyhappen in their favor.
Heir of the Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 21:57   Link #3638
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
At no point in any of the little history blurbs did we get an indication of silvery-eyed Übermensch that protected humans from the Grimm.
Reviewing the "history" blurb at the start of V1 and relevant parts of World of Remnant does seem to point out nothing about people with silver eyes helping defeat the Grimm and helping establish the four kingdoms. That or Salem herself knows nothing about this, since she is the narrator in those narratives.

Old 2016-02-14, 22:04   Link #3639
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Reviewing the "history" blurb at the start of V1 and relevant parts of World of Remnant does seem to point out nothing about people with silver eyes helping defeat the Grimm and helping establish the four kingdoms. That or Salem herself knows nothing about this, since she is the narrator in those narratives.
I would be rather skeptical is Salem knew nothing about them, though, considering their power and her apparently long point of view. If that were the case, it would just move stupids from 'ass pull' to 'bad fanfic'.
Heir of the Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 22:08   Link #3640
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

All the WOR episodes were done in first person and as of the finale not from an omniscient observer. That in itself means that not every detail is complete and because they are subject to her biased hatred of Ozpin and the status some details may even be questionable in authenticity.

And I am perfectly fine with no foreshadowing. Foreshadowing is a literary device and not a requirement. We don't need to be told that Chekov had a gun somewhere for him to be allowed to use it.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, cgi, fairy tale, fantasy, rooster teeth, rwby