AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Little Busters

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-07, 04:29   Link #481
Fabrice
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I'm going to go against the flow and say that I think that this is possibly the best option that Key had taken given the circumstances. Yes, the best thing would've been for KyoAni to have been the studio behind the LB! anime, for reasons that had already been stated in this thread earlier. However, given that KyoAni virtually has no open slots for LB! in the foreseeable future, and the years keep on adding up, there is no other thing to do but for Key to seek a different studio, and in all honesty, I think JC Staff works as the second best option.

No joke.

[mod edit: quote trimmed]
So your telling me that JC staff is second best to even PA Works, White Fox, Froniter Works?

Last edited by Fabrice; 2012-04-07 at 04:49. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 2012-04-07, 04:36   Link #482
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
which given how faithful to a fault JC Staff had been to many of it's adaption, makes them the best choice available.
I am sorry, but I have to outright reject that description. JC Staff is famous for NOT sticking to source material, to make changes that made no sense, and outright butcher the story in every way you can and can't imagine. Both Shana and ZnT were mega hits in novel form, and were capable of becoming massive franchises the same way Haruhi became. But JC Staff outright took a knife to the books and hacked chunks off it.

I mean, what was the first scene of ZnT? The MC being sucked into a portal, dropping his laptop and leaving it behind. Why does it matter? Because in the books, he KEPT the laptop! And yet JC Staff made major changes within the literal 30 seconds of the first episode!

Both ZnT and Shana had to have their script twisted like a pretzel, once JC Staff realised that they need to make more than one series and actually had to conclude the franchise properly. This is all JC Staff's fault, because they are a short sighted company who only care about the immediate TV series with no vision of how the franchise would evolve or conclude. It was a miracle they ended both these franchises in some way, consider how incompatible they had made their anime to the original novel.

In short, I look at your claim that JC Staff is a faithful adapter, and shake my head in disbelief. There are some things I just can't accept because of their ludicrousness, and this is one of them.
Old 2012-04-07, 04:37   Link #483
Aspirety
Voyager Witch

Hell, I was almost expecting them to skip LB entirely and go with a Rewrite Anime. I'm just glad they stuck to their guns and finally got it out there.
Old 2012-04-07, 04:38   Link #484
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
the thing they offer is more control for Key to direct how faithful the show will be to the original VN.
If JC staff previous productions could testify, I wouldn't have any problem, but so far, there are only rare exceptions such like toradora. Aside of that, the vast majority of VN and LN adaptations they made are nowhere close to the original source.

Quote:
I think it's fairly obvious given the level of interest the project is still generating even after more than 5 years following it's release, and how careful they had been with the announcements and the tone (''aware of the high expectation of the fans'') that Key is going to be more hands-on with the anime production than usual, so the logical choice for them to go to would be a studio that has a decent track record with success, has plentiful experience with adoptions, can maintain good quality throughout the anime's run, and allows them more creative freedom over the anime, which given how faithful to a fault JC Staff had been to many of it's adaption, makes them the best choice available.
JC Staff actually doesn't have that much of "success track". Aside of the huge popularity of Index franchise which came from the LN to begin with, they really do not have anything noteworthy to speak of, save again rare exceptions.
Also, I can't stress enough ow much their "experience" in adaptation is nearly a joke (althoughh still better than the likes of DEEN, ZECX XEBEC etc). Everyone probably will agree how some liberties they often take literally bore people to death (Shana II anyone?), or literally infuriate people (so many changes and fanservice emphasis sidetrack the plot of many adaptations they did).

Quote:
As for waiting for KyoAni till they have a slot available ... look guys, let's be realistic. It's been 6 years already, and Key had turned down a lot of offers from many studios because they were hoping for KyoAni to till them that they are ready. It never happened, and going by what their line up is, probably not going to happen for a while. So how long should they wait for? Another year? 2 years? 3? 4? 6?

Eventually, the game would end up being too old, interest would dwindle down, even if part of the fanbase would still hold out for it, at a certain point in time making a Little Busters! anime wouldn't be a good idea since the probability of it being a commercial success would be very low and not many would be that inclined to finance the project (hence why I had assumed that Aniplex wouldn't involved earlier, TJR, since they already have better projects under them. sorry I didn't get back to you, didn't notice the reply till now >_<), and the level of care given to it wouldn't be as great as it would've been years ago. Heck, at that point Key would have newer games, properties that would have a better chance at getting a successful anime.
KyoAni doesn't have a long established schedule. Furthermore, Clannad took ages before getting animated as well, so an extra 1 year wouldn't hurt at all. It isn't like it was a pressing matter to adapt LB anyway.

Seriously, if JC staff wasn't such an average/sub average studio, people wouldn't react this way. But frankly, they really hardly could deliver setllar adaptation at all.
Old 2012-04-07, 04:41   Link #485
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice View Post
So your telling me that JC staff is second best to even PA Works, White wolf, Froniter Works?
In this case? Yes, yes I think they are better than all the three you've listed though I never came across White Wolf before, and I don't think Froniter Works had worked on anything outside of outsourcing, and PA Works ... they might be a good pick, but again, they have their own plans for the future and time isn't working in favor of a LB! adaption.

So yeah, JC Staff is the best thing on the table, and despite what many are making out like this is all doomed from the get go, I actually think that the chance of this being good are high.
Old 2012-04-07, 04:44   Link #486
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
White Wolf
It's White Fox, not White Wolf.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-04-07, 04:44   Link #487
Dark_Pride

At least JC Staff don't screw up really badly the character designs except on some occasions (Index S2 10, first part of Shana II)
Old 2012-04-07, 04:45   Link #488
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
In this case? Yes, yes I think they are better than all the three you've listed though I never came across White Wolf before, and I don't think Froniter Works had worked on anything outside of outsourcing, and PA Works ... they might be a good pick, but again, they have their own plans for the future and time isn't working in favor of a LB! adaption.
Except that White Fox, one of their 2 adaptations basically bested any of what JC staff did: Steins;Gate.
SG, despite being an humongous series could still be adapted in 24 episodes, even with an average budget. If we add Rewrite OP, they basically prove they have no issue with the design either, and potentially can deal well with action, which you have a plenty in LB with just the battle system.
Their other adaptation, Tears to Tiara, was decent despite the source material was sort of convulated to begin with, and they manage to squeeze a clean and cut production, despite being new in the industry.

Speaking of which, I fear the worst with the battle system, considering these gimmicks are hardly JC staff worries.
Old 2012-04-07, 04:47   Link #489
Fabrice
Padawan

Quote:

So yeah, JC Staff is the best thing on the table, and despite what many are making out like this is all doomed from the get go, I actually think that the chance of this being good are high.
I meant White Fox ^^

I wouldnt be too confident at what you say or think, looking at the overall picture Its going to be tough for the staff that was enlisted by Jc staff to make it a "good" adaptation, LB! is such a difficult concept that sometimes I myself think maybe its better than its not animated.

Unless the staff KNOWS LB! and played the game, read the novel and all and understand the whole concept of LB! then it might be okay..

Im just scared that they will f*ck up the image of Little Busters! so with Key just for the sake of having Little Busters animated.
Old 2012-04-07, 04:48   Link #490
TJR

With Warner on board, J.C.STAFF would inevitably be pitched as a top candidate for a high profile moe show. Working relationships are really tight in this industry.

I suppose Key must be impressed with the quality of Index and Railgun. My only hope is that the studio remains committed to producing something of similar calibre. They have the connections and technical ability, but their once consistent standards have slipped over the past couple years. They're now geared to push out product faster and on lower budgets (this past season would be the most successful outing so far).....

Quote:
PA Works, White wolf, Froniter Works?
PA Works does great stuff, but White Fox hasn't produced anything particularly impressive. Steins;Gate may have been well adapted and presented, but the art/animation quality (good but not great) wasn't anything to write home about.

Frontier Works is a producer, not an anime studio, and they're generally involved with lower budget works (although they have their share of quality productions). Umineko was one of their recent flops.
Old 2012-04-07, 05:01   Link #491
Aspirety
Voyager Witch

So... Do we have any idea when we'll be seeing this series?
Old 2012-04-07, 05:11   Link #492
Fabrice
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirety View Post
So... Do we have any idea when we'll be seeing this series?
My guess is probably fall.
Old 2012-04-07, 05:17   Link #493
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

I think this 2ch post sums up pretty well why people are worried about J.C.STAFF.

Quote:
Maid-sama(2010) Failure
UraBoku(2010) Failure
Ookami-san(2010) Failure
Index II(2010) Hit
Bakuman(2010) Failure
Zakuro(2010) Failure
Milky Holmes(2010) Average
Yumekui Mery(2011) Failure
Aria(2011) Questionable
KamiMemo(2011) Failure
Twin-Angel(2011) Failure
Kimi to Boku(2011) Failure
Bakuman 2(2011) Failure
Shana III(2011) Failure
Ano Natsu(2012) Average
Zero F(2012) Failure
Kill Me Baby(2012) Failure
Milky Holmes 2(2012) Failure
Kimi to Boku 2(2012) Failure
Arcana(2012) ?
They have a propensity for making sub-par shows that sale horribly, especially over the last 2 years. Their bad sales streak has even effected their once golden Shana series.

That said, I have a hard time believing they're going into this without taking expectations into account, and it's probably telling that they only have two series in their que for Spring and Summer combined (...for now at least) rather than they're usual 2-5 per season.
Old 2012-04-07, 05:18   Link #494
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice View Post
Im just scared that they will f*ck up the image of Little Busters! so with Key just for the sake of having Little Busters animated.
If they do can we pray for a remake because that's what I will be waiting for
Old 2012-04-07, 05:25   Link #495
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

That means it would require them to stoop as low as Kanon 2002, which really won't be a sight to behold at all.
I really wonder if JC staff will tone down their multiple production per season habit (knowing them, they won't make more than 24 episodes anyway, so that cut a lot of things right from the get go).

I sure wish they won't focus on the moe only, because an amplified screentime for Kud to the detriment of the other characters will just be the insult to the injury (no offense to kud fans, but all characters deserve equal screentime, particularly the guys).
Old 2012-04-07, 05:26   Link #496
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

As anime, in their own right, I didn't mind 'Honey and Clover' or 'Nodame Cantabile'. But pacing was way off, and hence subsequent seasons were made for both...

I worry for Little Busters! In this aspect too. For those who have read the VN, you know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I sure wish they won't focus on the moe only, because an amplified screentime for Kud to the detriment of the other characters will just be the insult to the injury (no offense to kud fans, but all characters deserve equal screentime, particularly the guys).
I'm a Kud fan, but to overuse her would destroy the anime. Kyousuke, Masato and Kengo all provide the light hearted moments in the story, so deserve decent screen time.
Old 2012-04-07, 05:26   Link #497
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
I think this 2ch post sums up pretty well why people are worried about J.C.STAFF.

They have a propensity for making sub-par shows that sale horribly, especially over the last 2 years. Their bad sales streak has even effected their once golden Shana series.

That said, I have a hard time believing they're going into this without taking expectations into account, and it's probably telling that they only have two series in their que for Spring and Summer combined (...for now at least) rather than they're usual 2-5 per season.
Too many animes of this studio (even Bakuman and Shana III) have failed success. The only exceptions I can think of are :
Index : gained success and received movie adaptation
Milky Holmes season 1 and AnoNatsu : both have average-sized success
Hidan no Aria : The success is currently in debate to see if the second season will be there or not.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-04-07, 05:31   Link #498
raduccio

First of all Maid-sama, Bakuman, Bakuman 2, Shana 3, Ano Natsu were all generally well received critically even if they didn't sell.
Old 2012-04-07, 05:31   Link #499
Fabrice
Padawan

A quote from a user on mal
Quote:
One theme I'm reading between the lines when looking at the staff (director, series composer) is that they've worked largely on long series. So there's a good chance it will get 52 episodes.

Whether those are 52 good episodes remains to be seen, but on the other hand there's no name for storyboard yet; if Key is directly in charge of that it may make a big difference.
Old 2012-04-07, 05:32   Link #500
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

Wow, I really am showing my age by mentioning Honey and Clover and Nodame Cantabile...
Closed Thread

Tags
anime game, little busters