AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-01-25, 16:26   Link #81
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Probably aiming for quality over quantity.

Though is it possible for City A to supply City B with the workers?
It is not quality or quantity. It is just how they restrict server load. This is flatout an artificial restriction just because of the online requirement. No excuses.
Old 2013-01-25, 16:31   Link #82
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
There's a full Kotaku review of the newest Simcity game .. apparently you can abandon your city for someone else to work on as well .. or you can pick up an abandoned city too!

http://kotaku.com/5978882/my-day-with-the-new-simcity
Well, not liking this idea:

Quote:
Unlike previous SimCitys, zones border roads instead of filling areas, and density is defined by the size of the zoned road.

High density streets zoned for residential construction will result in apartment buildings, for example, and small streets will become suburbs. Eventually, the commercial properties on my main avenue will become much bigger, as long as there’s room for them to grow.
So... if someone wants a dense "city"... then someone would have to throw in high density roads everywhere.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 04:19   Link #83
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
It is not quality or quantity. It is just how they restrict server load. This is flatout an artificial restriction just because of the online requirement. No excuses.
I'd say the simulation is a big limit to. Previous SC games could cause a computer to chug on larger city sizes due to the amount of processing required.

I can see the idea behind having smaller cities and having them interact more with each other on a detailed level making for a smoother experience rather than one super city. It would have probably been a lot more accepted if they didn't have the always online requirement. If the towns are close enough together, than maybe it will look like a nice big city on region play, but I don't think they butt up next to each other sadly.
Old 2013-01-26, 19:19   Link #84
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/26/ar...ies-too-small/

I want a big old city. Not a town
Old 2013-01-26, 20:38   Link #85
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
So more than just bigger, I’d like to see SimCity’s borders go amoeba. What do you think?
I would take a compromise on city size, IF that can be accomplished. Few cities, if any, are actually square or exactly rectangular.
Old 2013-01-31, 23:30   Link #86
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Wtf? You'd think things would get bigger and better.

Sim City 4 had cities that were large, and you could have a ton of them in a region. And really, no size was ever good enough since we don't always want to pack our cities like sardines. You want to add parks and tress and stuff without worrying about running out tiles.

Anyhow, since we were talking about a functioning rail system, and I reinstalled Sim City 4 to find a small town already setup from a previous game, well...
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

The population is only 19k but 3500 people use the rail. Not too shabby considering it only runs along the corners.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 05:32   Link #87
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

I was never able to put my aesthetics in action when playing SimCity. I keep making the same zone formula over and over again. I can no longer go bankrupt, but always felt like there should've been more I could do. And I never could make a functioning train network, and highways for that matter. Buses and Subways are easier to build and manage so I always relied on them instead.
Old 2013-02-02, 11:55   Link #88
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Well train networks work really well, but they also take up a lot of space. They're usually not worth the effort since you can mostly get by with just buses which actually make you money. If you have hilly terrain, this gets really annoying. The best way to do a train network is to put some at the start and just link it to a subway. Or just replace it with a subway eventually.

Rule of thumb is create transit hubs every few blocks. So bus stop, train station and parking lot could go all together. Transit works best if people are easily able to switch from one to the other.

Highways aren't too bad if you use avenues a lot, since you can link avenues directly onto highways. As long as you have roads running aside them so people can actaully get out, it shouldn't be a problem. Onramps have been a pain in every sim game though.

The main problem with highways is that they're quite expensive and don't really work until you have a developed region, so trying to build one will involve a lot of old city demolition. :S Still when set up, they are the best form of traonsportation... though rather ugly and polluting if used too excessively. Most of the time I don't really go for big highway systems unless I have some suburb bordering regions.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-02-02, 19:36   Link #89
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Gonna play devil's advocate here.

I think though it forces the players to decide what they want the city to specialize in rather than make a MegaCity that has everything.

So in other words we'd be making 1 city that'd be a gambling town, another simply as residential, and maybe one as a tourist and they're all linked together.

That's how I'm seeing it as even when building in giant regions in SimCity 4 I ended up making almost every city the same.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 03:00   Link #90
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

The reason why a lot of people ended up building generalist cities despite the Region system in Sim City 4 was because 1.) it's too easy 2.) It's too boring.

I mean in theory it sounds fun to develop an industrial center or a suburb but it gets extremely monotonous and really serves as little more than a novelty. It's really going to be an extension of whatever you were making.

Forcing people into this boredom isn't a good thing. It seems like games these days tend to want to steer the players way too much.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-02-03, 04:45   Link #91
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Cities XL had a good system to ensure that no city can ever be a generalist city, imo. Every city will have to focus on one or two resources to produce and trade almost exclusively, and import most other necessities or risk severe bankruptcy.
Old 2013-02-13, 17:10   Link #92
Kyuu
=^^=

Knowing that... roads can be... literally "drawn" on the landscape. Layouts like in this video are 100% inevitable.

LOL

Yet. Reaching the end of that video -- after seeing all the comical layouts -- I'll be hesitating on my purchase as well.

Last edited by Kyuu; 2013-02-13 at 17:22.
Old 2013-02-14, 03:25   Link #93
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Why? Shouldn't it better to have more freedom in how you're laying out your city?
Old 2013-02-14, 04:11   Link #94
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Why? Shouldn't it better to have more freedom in how you're laying out your city?
The fact that you can't even change the terrain means you end up with less freedom than ever.
Old 2013-02-14, 04:37   Link #95
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Oh, I don't have a problem with that. Instead, the main gripe is related to the discussion at the end of the video.

On top of that, I have an issue of zone density directly linked with street density. If every road has to be a 3-lane road in order to produce a very dense city... that's not... as "realistic".
Old 2013-02-14, 04:41   Link #96
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

One thing that's for sure. Their "anti-piracy measure" worked in the sense that they butchered the game so bad, I wouldn't even play it for free. My Simcity 4 is a superior game, so why should I waste time playing this Simcity Online?

They lost a sale. And with any luck, that also means the hacked game would have low pirate rates because no one would want to waste the bandwidth.
Old 2013-02-15, 04:32   Link #97
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

You can't change the terrain?

What.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-02-15, 08:53   Link #98
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
You can't change the terrain?

What.
According to the review video, you are no longer able to lower or raise land, move bodies of water, or in any way altering the land. That is a MASSIVE downgrade.
Old 2013-02-15, 15:43   Link #99
Kyuu
=^^=

If I remember correctly, y'can change terrain -- only to an extent at which a "city engineer" could.
Old 2013-02-15, 17:51   Link #100
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

It's still really lame. In previous Sim Cities you could do whatever the hell you wanted with it as long as you had the funds for it. More elaborate ones cost more.

MyAnimeList || Reviews