AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-08-05, 19:13   Link #1
PrincessFrani
TsuruyaxMikuru Worshipper

Lightbulb Favorite Underrated Movies

Before you guys question me, yes I got the idea from the Nostalgia Critic's top 11 list of the same topic. But I also had somethinking that there were much more underrated films that are in this world. It got me thinking of how many people may mention some movies that people may have or have not heard of.

Ex:
The Thief & the Cobbler
Little Nemo
Secret of NIMH

So what I'm saying is that are there any movies that you know and love but are underrated. If so, then this is the place to talk about it!
PrincessFrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-05, 19:42   Link #2
stubby42

Titan A.E is probably the most under rated movie of all time, so much so that it bankrupted the animation studio that made it but it was amazing.
stubby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-05, 19:48   Link #3
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Location: Living on a remote island somewhere in the South Pacific
Halloween 3: Season of the Witch (1982) is the most underrated movie in the Halloween franchise only because Michael Myers is not in it. But its a really good movie!
KongZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 00:04   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Really my list is so long I probably can't remember more than a few. I've included a couple of films that were well-known in their day, but probably less well-known among the people who frequent AnimeSuki.

First, here are two with Burt Lancaster in extraordinary performances near the end of his career:
Atlantic City (has one of the most erotic sequences I've seen at the outset)
Local Hero (Americans oil execs try to buy a Scottish village; definitely one of my top-ten)

How about some off-beat films about young adults:
Ghost World (Whatever became of Thora Birch?)
Grosse Pointe Blank (perhaps the best high-school reunion movie I've seen)

More random offerings:
The Conversation (Surveillance and paranoia still feel quite relevant some thirty-five years later.)
M*A*S*H (Maybe not underrated, but it's just so much better than the TV show ever was.)
An American Werewolf in London (Before The Blues Brothers, John Landis made this little gem.)
Pennies from Heaven (Herbert Ross once said he thought this was his best film.)
Beetlejuice (An extraordinary performance by Michael Keaton and an eye-popping debut by Winona Ryder.)
Chinatown (Still a brilliant meditation on corruption.)
Nurse Betty (Tour-de-force for Renee Zellweger)
Something Wild (Perhaps no film changes character midstream more effectively than this one.)

Thrillers

I've probably watched well over a thousand movies in my life, so picking just a few is pretty hard. If I think of more, I'll edit this posting.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 00:11   Link #5
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Only one i can think of is "Maximum Overdrive" and i bet not many people here have even heard or seen it

its like Resident evil but Vechicles instead of zombies.
Old 2009-08-06, 03:10   Link #6
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
does House of a 1000 corpses count?
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 03:19   Link #7
calorie

The only one that comes to mind is John Carpenter's "Ghosts of Mars" - poor critics, I remember it scared the hell out of me. Could be just a weird memory jumble mixed with youth on my part though.

I can't believe no other movie comes to mind. Though I think of myself as quite a movie buff, I guess my taste isn't much out of the ordinary in this area.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 04:23   Link #8
james0246

I could pull out the Luis Bunuel, Jean-Luc Godard, David Lynch, Alejandro Jodorowsky, Jean-Pierre Melville, Shōhei Imamura, Andrei Tarkovsky, etc. But, that requires remebering, and spelling correctly, a bunch of foreign film titles (it's only through years of repetition that I can spell the directors names correctly ). So, instead, here are a slew of really good, but not often seen, films ranging over nearly every genre from the past 30-40 years.

btw, SeijiSensei has a damn fine list. The inclusion of Atlantic City alone would have made it a decent list, but to also have Grosse Pointe Blank, Pennies from Heaven, and Something Wild (amongst other great titles) shows that Seiji is cooking with the good stuff...

Anyway, here is a list of films, all of which are great (in one way or another), and all the various directors also did some other great titles in their day...there is no real order here, I simply looked through my Library and these titles popped out (and I typed them down while they were popping ).

Spoiler for Long List, now with brief descriptions :).:

Last edited by james0246; 2009-08-06 at 18:42.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 08:20   Link #9
GreatTeacherKen

I'd say Dao Ma Dan (Peking Opera Blues). It's underrated in the sense that it doesn't seem to be that well known amongst people who are only casually familiar with Hong Kong movies, but I have a soft spot for this genre blending/bending movie. It's a very fast paced and an emotional roller coaster ride: it's not uncommon for the same scene to be tense than hilarious than melancholic etc. and IMO it works.

Aragami, a Japanese samurai movie directed by Ryuhei Kitamura that takes place in single setting. It doesn't seem to be as popular as another of Kitamura's movies, Versus, but I found this more entertaining thanks to more interesting characters (particular the titular character) and a better plot though there are some details that are unexplained/ambiguous.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 10:13   Link #10
PrincessFrani
TsuruyaxMikuru Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
does House of a 1000 corpses count?
I assume so.
PrincessFrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 11:56   Link #11
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Only movie that comes to mind is Brotherhood of the Wolf, something my brother made me watch ages ago and something I came to like very much.
Old 2009-08-06, 12:05   Link #12
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Only movie that comes to mind is Brotherhood of the Wolf, something my brother made me watch ages ago and something I came to like very much.
I love that movie
Old 2009-08-06, 14:27   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
btw, SeijiSensei has a damn fine list.
James and I have since submitted our resumes to take over the Siskel and Ebert show. I don't know what James looks like, but I'd probably be the Ebert in this pair!

I haven't seen a number of the movies on his list, but I'd add my endorsement for Three Kings, Being There, Defending Your Life, Babe, and particularly Lone Star. I just watched that again with daughter the other night on HDNet Movies (great channel, BTW); more and more I think it's Sayles' best film (though I recall enjoying Brother from Another Planet when I saw it in the theaters some decades ago).

Let me also add Guy Ritchie's Snatch to the list. Brad Pitt plays an Irish gypsy boxer with a brogue as thick as the turf on the Emerald Isle. Despite understanding perhaps half of what he says verbally, he never fails to express what he means through gestures, facial expressions, and other bits of "business."
Old 2009-08-06, 14:46   Link #14
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

The Station Agent - Really well done, character driven movie. It's written and directed by Thomas McCarthy and it features wonderful acting and character interaction.

Enemy of the State - I was jumping around whether to label this underrated or not, but I ended up on labeling it. When I talk with most people who like Will SMith as an actor they tend to be unaware of this movie's existence. It's a shame because its one of his best performances and best movies. Gene Hackman also gives a fantastic performance.

Big Fish - A break from the usual for a Tim Burton movie as it doesn't have the usual "darkness". I like to think of it as an adult fairy tale and I like to compare it to the Wizard of Oz (with its ability to tell a a story that blurs the lines between fantasy and reality).

The Machinist - This movie is probably worth seeing if just for witnessing what Cristian Bale did to his body to fit the role of the main character who looks like a walking skeleton. A good pyschological thriller thats worth a watch.

Brick - Not a movie for everyone I guess, but I loved it. Its a murder mystery set in high school filmed in a 1930s noir style and has some very interesting dialogue.

Well those are a few off the top of my head.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 02:38   Link #15
nanafan
horo fan

i agree with seiji with ghost world, that movie is awesome, has all the things people can relate to growing up, etc.
mostly martha-german movie, has a great story, great acting, and so wonderful made me cry a bit. also secretary-dark romantic comedy and drama about a girl who gets out of rehab, she was a cutter. then she goes to a community college and gets in a typing class. she finds a job for a lawyer as a secretary. their relationship is very odd but becomes intimate. i admit that it might not be a movie for everyone, but the actors are great, and the story is amazing.
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 13:32   Link #16
Nosauz

gah....
big fish, underated? im pretty sure the critics loved it, hell they even showed it to 7th graders who are pretty much action oriented.
snatch???? thats one the best freaking movies guy ritchie has ever done, so great, mix of comedy action. Again im pretty sure its critical acclaim cna not mean it was underated? Though i would say Lock stock , and 2 smoking barrels was bit better

now for some real movies that were not as loved by the critics
weather man, I loved this movie, i mean just seeing nick cage doing something other than the hero was very invigorating
gatacca, the movie takes genetic selection to ridiculous and unrealistic place but man ethan hawke really was stellar in that movie.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 15:08   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I was using "underrated" more to mean an excellent movie that is not widely known to the public, not a movie that was panned by the critics but I think of as excellent. Snatch probably doesn't qualify since it garnered some $30 million in US box-office receipts, or probably some four million admissions given ticket prices at the time. That said, I'd bet it's pretty much unknown to most adult Americans, especially those outside the cohort of people who were teens and young adults in 2000. Whenever I mention this film to people in my age group, they've never heard of it. Most of them have heard of Gladiator, the winner of the Oscar for Best Picture in 2000.

You'll notice my list has other movies that garnered awards and were well-regarded among critics at the time. Still I bet the number of AS members who've seen a film like Atlantic City, or even the Oscar-winning Chinatown, is pretty small.
Old 2009-08-07, 16:22   Link #18
nanafan
horo fan

i don't know if this is underrated but how bout persepolis, i loved the story, the animation, everything about it was awesome. it's about marjane satrapi and her growing up in Iran during the Iranian Revolution, and also her leaving to go to Vienna and experiencing different cultures and attitudes. It also has big names in French film like one who voiced her mother, dang can't remember her name but it's well known.
Old 2009-08-07, 16:40   Link #19
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Boyz N da Hood. Poor Morris Chestnut got shot up stratching a lottery ticket.

Coming to America with Eddie Murphy, it was a success, but no one really talks about it anymore.

And I don't know about it being underrated, but I'm probably the only one in the world that finds Pootie Tang hilarious and laughs everytime I watch it.

The Truman Show with Jim Carrey, seeing him take a break from over-the-top comedy to a lighter, more meaningful comedy was a nice change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsla View Post
The only one that comes to mind is John Carpenter's "Ghosts of Mars" - poor critics, I remember it scared the hell out of me. Could be just a weird memory jumble mixed with youth on my part though.
John Carpenter's The Thing is one of the. . .funkiest movies I've seen, especially for a film in the early 80s.

Last edited by Dilla; 2009-08-07 at 18:39.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 17:52   Link #20
nanafan
horo fan

oh yeah, coming to america was good. probably the first movie where eddie played more than one character??? meh, it was a great movie though.