AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-08-13, 00:22   Link #1841
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

I can't say I've ever heard of any, if there was I imagine it would be specific to that person.
Old 2008-08-13, 00:53   Link #1842
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DOT].L
Are there any foods one should avoid consuming with alcoholic beverages?
The king of fruits:
"It is common local belief that the durian is harmful when eaten with coffee or alcoholic beverages. The latter belief can be traced back at least to the 18th century when Rumphius stated that one should not drink alcohol after eating durians as it will cause indigestion and bad breath. In 1929, J. D. Gimlette wrote in his Malay Poisons and Charm Cures that the durian fruit must not be eaten with brandy. In 1981, J. R. Croft wrote in his Bombacaceae: In Handbooks of the Flora of Papua New Guinea that a feeling of morbidity often follows the consumption of alcohol too soon after eating durian. Several medical investigations on the validity of this belief have been conducted with varying conclusions."

And then, there's the old wives' tale that consuming durian with brandy or whisky will make your intestines explode, because alcohol will ferment the fruit, causing it to release gases rapidly inside your gut.

I wouldn't know. I'm not especially fond of durians, although I do enjoy them occasionally. I certainly haven't tried eating them with alcohol. You usually wouldn't want to anyway, because you get rather thirsty, and whisky isn't going to make parched throats go away.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-13, 00:56   Link #1843
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The king of fruits:
"It is common local belief that the durian is harmful when eaten with coffee or alcoholic beverages. The latter belief can be traced back at least to the 18th century when Rumphius stated that one should not drink alcohol after eating durians as it will cause indigestion and bad breath. In 1929, J. D. Gimlette wrote in his Malay Poisons and Charm Cures that the durian fruit must not be eaten with brandy. In 1981, J. R. Croft wrote in his Bombacaceae: In Handbooks of the Flora of Papua New Guinea that a feeling of morbidity often follows the consumption of alcohol too soon after eating durian. Several medical investigations on the validity of this belief have been conducted with varying conclusions."

And then, there's the old wives' tale that consuming durian with brandy or whisky will make your intestines explode, because the alcohol will ferment the fruit, causing it expand rapidly inside your gut.

I wouldn't know. I'm not especially fond of durians, although I do enjoy it occasionally. I certainly haven't tried eating them with alcohol. You usually wouldn't want to anyway, because you get rather thirsty, and whisky isn't going to make parched throats go away.
These are those really (stinky) stench drenched fruits aren't they?

I've never eaten one of these before...

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-13, 00:58   Link #1844
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DOT].L View Post
Question:

Are there any foods one should avoid consuming with alcoholic beverages?
The only common thing i can think of that people take with alcohol that they shouldn't is red bull.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-13, 01:00   Link #1845
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai
These are those really (stinky) stench drenched fruits aren't they? I've never eaten one of these before...
It's an acquired taste. Once they get past the smell and try a mouthful, most people end up loving the durian. It's like creamy pastry, except it comes out of a thorny fruit.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-13, 01:01   Link #1846
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Hmm, I like creamy pastry, I might have to try one someday.
Old 2008-08-13, 01:26   Link #1847
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditary View Post
Hmm, I like creamy pastry, I might have to try one someday.
The smell will make you keep your distance. When my family has one, it's my policy to just leave the house and take a walk...

You should not take any other psychoactive substances (prescription drugs, caffeine, etc.) with alcohol. They tend to have...unpredictable effects when taken together.

If you're drinking beer, stay away from any food that would normally give you gas...
Old 2008-08-13, 07:32   Link #1848
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Watermelon and wine can give you one hell of a stomach ride.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-13, 19:42   Link #1849
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
The only common thing i can think of that people take with alcohol that they shouldn't is red bull.
Alcohol don't mix with energy drinks.

To sum it up ""Only the symptoms of drunkenness are reduced — but not the drunkenness. They can't tell if they're drunk; they can't tell if someone else is drunk"

Hehehe ^^ good analogy

"O'Brien used the analogy that mixing caffeine (a stimulant) with alcohol (a depressant), is like getting into a car and stepping on the gas pedal and the brake at the same time."

-- I know I tried that Budwiser energy drink alcohol mix. Not only that it's not too good for you, it tastes horrible. (jeezes, my cousins were idiots ^^)

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-08-16, 14:42   Link #1850
Solafighter
Hige

When i check out to buy an anime, why is a single dvd(for example for only 4 episodes) more expensive than a part box with 12/13 episodes? Quality drop? Im confused.
Old 2008-08-16, 15:06   Link #1851
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
When i check out to buy an anime, why is a single dvd(for example for only 4 episodes) more expensive than a part box with 12/13 episodes? Quality drop? Im confused.
First, are you sure you are not comparing a bootleg release to the official release.

Other than that, the main reason is that the single DVDs (with typically 4 episodes per DVD) are usually released first and then a year or two later the complete box set will be released at a cheaper price.

So, if you want it when it first comes out you have to pay the regular price (which should be under $20 per DVD if you shop on-line). If you are prepared to wait then you can get the box set release for something like $50 for 13 episodes. Of course there is the chance that there is never a cheaper box-set release.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 15:10   Link #1852
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

This is the usual ascii chart that I use here

link - http://www.asciitable.com/

I've been trying to find a larger table with unusual asciis but I haven't. Am I mistaken or there are some larger tables?

Old 2008-08-16, 16:59   Link #1853
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You're confusing ascii with unicode. That there be all ascii has to offer.
Old 2008-08-16, 17:42   Link #1854
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

The original ASCII only consisted of 128 characters. The "special" characters, that the page you linked to presents, are the extended set (bringing the number of character up to 256) which were defined by a myriad of so-called code pages. Each code page had extra characters (not used in the standard English for which ASCII was design) to enable different countries to communicate, using computer systems, in their own language. How each of these extended characters appears depend on the code page being used to interpret them.

That, as Cats alluded, is all historical. The modern approach to character encoding is Unicode, which is designed to represent "most" of the world written languages. So to answer what is probably the real question behind your post, yes there are larger tables. Much larger tables. Note: How (or indeed if) each of the characters presented on the Unicode site appears to someone viewing the forum (as I assume by "use here" you mean for things like your user title?) depends on the font we've used in the forum's template. Not all Unicode fonts cope with all Unicode characters. In fact I don't think any font copes with them all yet, though some in the 30K-50K range cover most someone is likely to need. Also you should keep in mind that the forum isn't set-up for Unicode. We're still using the ISO-8859-1 encoding; Latin1 I think it is at a database level. We should move to UTF-8 really, but there are so many issues in doing that, that we've not attempted it yet. Which I believe means the length of your user title is counted in bytes not in characters, so higher Unicode characters (that are represented by more than one byte) take up more of the space allowed, as some people have noticed (check the feedback forum).

Incidentally, what you call "special asciis" should more correctly be termed special characters1, and they are only special if you don't happen to use them in your own language. I think that is also part of what Cats means by you're confusing the two.

1 Unless you are actually talking strictly about the "special" ASCII control characters, which have limited meaning visually as they are commonly not printable. I've noticed recently that whatever font Fire Fox uses has each of them corresponding to a glyph of a little box, with a number in it, telling me which Unicode character it is.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 21:38   Link #1855
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

So here's a question.. In another forum I frequent, there a banned moderator, but he still keeps his moderator status afterward. Is that ever happened in ASuki? A moderator banned then resume his role after the ban phase?
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 22:45   Link #1856
BleachOD
Banned

....er...how come my gifs don't move in my sig album, but they do in others? I can't update my sig album
BleachOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 23:03   Link #1857
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Memory sense activated.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
So here's a question.. In another forum I frequent, there a banned moderator, but he still keeps his moderator status afterward. Is that ever happened in ASuki? A moderator banned then resume his role after the ban phase?
Similar question from a while back......

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
lol have you mods ever got any Infractions ever be banned before
And the reply given then........

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Well, we haven't had to ban a moderator or give one an infraction AFTER they've become a moderator, but at least one moderator was a reformed troublemaker and a few moderators had some minor infractions on their record.
I dont remember ever seeing a moderator banned up to this point, so this reply most likely still applies now.

Then again, I could be wrong. It's probably best to wait for an official reply from the mods.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2008-08-16 at 23:17.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 23:11   Link #1858
Prestwick
The Victorian

Send a message via MSN to Prestwick
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri View Post
There are a number of loan words from German in Japanese, especially in the fields of Medical Science, Law and Metaphysics. The first German word I learned was "Tatbestandmässigkeit" (requirements with which crimes are recognised as such). Japanese doctors read "Karte" and take "Messer", students argue "sachlich" about "transzendental" ideas. However, they are limited within the academic scenes.

If you find some similarity, I think it is because of the vowels.
Some of this can be traced to Japan's rapid modernisation in the late Victorian period. Japan looked beyond its borders to Europe and beyond for inspiration for its new institutions like its modernised schooling system, the Imperial Army & Navy and so on.

So for example, the Army was based upon Prussian methods, training and discipline while the Navy was modeled upon the Royal Navy. So it wouldn't be surprising that these words came to Japan through the systems and methods which they adopted from their mentor in the UK, France and Germany.

There are alot of hints to Japan's rapid industrialisation and modernisation, not least the nods to maverick Scottish Victorian industrialist Thomas Glover, but that is for another story
Prestwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 01:53   Link #1859
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
You're confusing ascii with unicode. That there be all ascii has to offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
The original ASCII only consisted of 128 characters. The "special" characters, that the page you linked to presents, are the extended set (bringing the number of character up to 256) which were defined by a myriad of so-called code pages. Each code page had extra characters (not used in the standard English for which ASCII was design) to enable different countries to communicate, using computer systems, in their own language. How each of these extended characters appears depend on the code page being used to interpret them.

That, as Cats alluded, is all historical. The modern approach to character encoding is Unicode, which is designed to represent "most" of the world written languages. So to answer what is probably the real question behind your post, yes there are larger tables. Much larger tables. Note: How (or indeed if) each of the characters presented on the Unicode site appears to someone viewing the forum (as I assume by "use here" you mean for things like your user title?) depends on the font we've used in the forum's template. Not all Unicode fonts cope with all Unicode characters. In fact I don't think any font copes with them all yet, though some in the 30K-50K range cover most someone is likely to need. Also you should keep in mind that the forum isn't set-up for Unicode. We're still using the ISO-8859-1 encoding; Latin1 I think it is at a database level. We should move to UTF-8 really, but there are so many issues in doing that, that we've not attempted it yet. Which I believe means the length of your user title is counted in bytes not in characters, so higher Unicode characters (that are represented by more than one byte) take up more of the space allowed, as some people have noticed (check the feedback forum).

Incidentally, what you call "special asciis" should more correctly be termed special characters1, and they are only special if you don't happen to use them in your own language. I think that is also part of what Cats means by you're confusing the two.

1 Unless you are actually talking strictly about the "special" ASCII control characters, which have limited meaning visually as they are commonly not printable. I've noticed recently that whatever font Fire Fox uses has each of them corresponding to a glyph of a little box, with a number in it, telling me which Unicode character it is.
>.< I never knew... Thanks for the information.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I believe this was disscussed in this thread some time ago but, here it goes again cause I forgot and I do believe the FAQs does not cover it.

Is there a way to individually delete each private message you get do you only have to go by the option of deleting the "inbox" or "sent Items" only?

Of course the purpose of this is only for keeping "specific" PMs that I would rather keep in my inbox even though it's old.

Old 2008-08-17, 01:57   Link #1860
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

erm.. just use the tick box on each pm (from your initial pm page) then select delete option from the list at the bottom
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious