AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-08-19, 09:24   Link #1881
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
It's something from comedy. I've always heard it as an "[Event] is Kind of a Big Deal". The word "kinda" is used as a very vague expression for an event of huge scale. I hear it used a lot in America and that's how I've always perceived it.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 11:46   Link #1882
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Where did the phrase "kind of a big deal" come from? Common usage seems to be along the lines of "[Person] is Kind of a Big Deal" (capitalization as in the example is sometimes employed when it is used online). I've heard it used in comical situations as well as non-comical situations. Is it a company slogan? Something from a comedy? I'm looking for clarity in terms of how I should perceive the intent behind its usage. Thanks in advance.
While I've always heard the phrase on occasion (since "kind of" seems to be a modifier for everything in English these days), the sudden spike in use of the phrase "kind of a big deal" as a pop culture meme seems to come from the movie Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy.

I've never seen the film, but that's where I've seen the phrase attributed.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 12:56   Link #1883
bigdave
Falling for Ginsama ^3^
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to bigdave
I recsind my post and say what causes blackholes?
as my replacment. xD

bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 13:06   Link #1884
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
as my replacment. xD
God accidentally dividing by zero.
Old 2008-08-19, 13:21   Link #1885
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Nope, Chuck Norris said there will be light and there was light
Cuck Norris said that there will be land and there was land
Chuck Norris said ....
Chuck Norris looked at what he created and it was ok but something was missing
So he gave it some round house kicks and the black holes appered.

Easy story.

Some "scientist" don't believe this and they say something about stars which imploded and turned into black holes pffff idiots.
mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 22:01   Link #1886
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
The Dallas County Central Collections office
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 00:36   Link #1887
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
It's something from comedy. I've always heard it as an "[Event] is Kind of a Big Deal". The word "kinda" is used as a very vague expression for an event of huge scale. I hear it used a lot in America and that's how I've always perceived it.
Understated sarcasm..... example:

"Don't cross the streams."

"Why?"

"Because it would be bad."
Old 2008-08-22, 07:50   Link #1888
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Question to The Mod or Admin :

If I post Replay and I got (Cookies) rep From it ...and Then my Replay Got Delete it ..Do I get The Rep Or It Also Delete it ?

Old 2008-08-22, 07:54   Link #1889
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

You mean reply.. not replay

AFAIK the rep stil counts, it just you wouldnt be able to click the link to it from the rep table
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-22, 07:56   Link #1890
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
You mean reply.. not replay

AFAIK the rep stil counts, it just you wouldnt be able to click the link to it from the rep table
lol...yeah ..I meant Reply ~_~
and Thanks ..But I think it Should be delete it too..Since The rep was For The reply
Old 2008-08-22, 08:27   Link #1891
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaos View Post
lol...yeah ..I meant Reply ~_~
and Thanks ..But I think it Should be delete it too..Since The rep was For The reply
That would allow people to get rid of negative rep just by deleting posts. No rep consequence for screwing around. Not good IMO.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-22, 20:52   Link #1892
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Here's a potentially not-so-silly question. I'd like to buy something from someone relatively far away. The seller is trustworthy enough, but I don't care to take chances. There is no third party involved - we're negotiating directly. I'll be paying by check, but I can also pay by money order. Do any of these give me any protection - say, if the seller never sends me what we agreed on, or if the condition is far different than was described and shown? Thanks...
Old 2008-08-22, 22:10   Link #1893
james0246

Quote:
Here's a potentially not-so-silly question. I'd like to buy something from someone relatively far away. The seller is trustworthy enough, but I don't care to take chances. There is no third party involved - we're negotiating directly. I'll be paying by check, but I can also pay by money order. Do any of these give me any protection - say, if the seller never sends me what we agreed on, or if the condition is far different than was described and shown? Thanks...
I am no expert, but just in general, any cheque will be a relatively safe method. The fact that you have to know their name, in order for them to deposit the cheque, immediatly leaves a paper trail that can be follwed and used for litigation purposes (if they have a fake name, account, etc, well then you are out of your league and out of your money). About the only thing you need after that is some sort of contract indicating the specificity of the sale: "You will pay X for Product Y, but if Product Y is unusable you will receive a ful reimbursement (X.)"

If it is a product that can be actively used, you should simply have them send a photo, or better yet a video, of the product in use/being used.

Additionally, pay quite a bit for insurrance, making sure that if the product is damaged mid-travel the shipping company will owe you.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-22, 22:54   Link #1894
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Check is far better option. Send him check, but with advance clearance date so he cant actually cash it out the day he received it :x , you'll be able to cancel it if the goods are not satisfactory.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-08-22, 23:53   Link #1895
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
You can cancel a money order just like you can a check. The instructions should be printed on the form you keep, but it couldn't hurt to inspect the process beforehand.

If it's enough money to worry about, though, it couldn't hurt to hire an escrow service. If you can't, I think KiNA's idea of a post-dated check is good (assuming the other party approves ahead of time), but if you're considering a money order then I'd assume a personal check is not an option.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-23, 00:14   Link #1896
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Post dated check.. so thats what you called it in english

Learn a new thing
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-08-23, 02:15   Link #1897
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Here's a sorta silly but I rather need it. I'm looking for an image of an Japanese Girl Uniform's Shoe. The underside of it, it can be either real or anime or what ever, I just need the bottom of it. The pratical reason for it is i need to make a footprint brush out of it but I don't really know the shape of it thus me not making a vector of it.

Any help would be me appreciated. (I'm looking for the cliche one with the strap over the foot like 2/3 of the ways in.)

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-23, 02:40   Link #1898
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Check is far better option. Send him check, but with advance clearance date so he cant actually cash it out the day he received it :x , you'll be able to cancel it if the goods are not satisfactory.
Chances are, the person receiving the cheque will wait until the clearance date before posting the item. After all, why should he trust you more than you trust him. In fact the correct thing for him to do is wait until the cheque clears and is in his bank account. For all he knows is that it can be a fake or duff cheque.

BTW, as for cancelling a cheque, I would check with your bank about this because they can charge a non-trivial amount to cancel a cheque (it varies a lot between banks).

But a cheque is normally the best way, as mentioned it leaves a paper trail.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-23, 03:30   Link #1899
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

The assumption was they each send at the same time And I would assumed Ledgem would at least tell the seller that he would send a post dated check for the merchandise before proceeding.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-08-23, 03:39   Link #1900
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
The assumption was they each send at the same time And I would assumed Ledgem would at least tell the seller that he would send a post dated check for the merchandise before proceeding.
Errr, no. In general, the person who supplies the goods needs to be paid first before the goods are dispatched. Yes there needs to be trust in such transactions but this is the normal way it usually done.

I would be very suspicious of someone who (i) asks me to supply some goods before they even send the payment and (ii) post dates the cheque.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious