AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-05, 16:05   Link #141
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembr View Post
What's with that shirt?
Do people not like things that they can actually wear?
It's good for humor value I guess, but surely something that's usable is just as good.
But then again, I'm not sure what they could use out of Lucky Star that will make a shirt wearable in public...
The horror is that you WILL see people wearing it at conventions -- and they WON'T be the people you might LIKE to see wearing it.

The XL default size is a bit of a reveal :P
Old 2008-05-05, 23:21   Link #142
Magedark

I wore it to school and had many sailor moon comments.
Old 2008-05-05, 23:26   Link #143
Asrialys

Wow, Sailor Moon? lol I should wear it Wednesday, last day of classes before finals. Kinda funny having Japanese class that day too. But I also have my more serious courses that day as well, so I might not (change of shirt maybe? lol)...
Old 2008-05-05, 23:48   Link #144
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magedark View Post
That's because mainstreamers have no other real exposure to serafuku.

n00bs.

Old 2008-05-06, 00:20   Link #145
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Interesting that they associated it with SM rather than just "japanese school uniform".... I wonder how many "joejanepublic" types actually know that japanese K-12 students wear uniforms....
Old 2008-05-06, 22:42   Link #146
Magedark

I thought so too. I also got some "That is not a manly shirt" comments. But being the guy I am, I brush those off. After all, it doesn't matter if it's fun.

"Joejanepublic" types? What's that?
Old 2008-05-07, 02:04   Link #147
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

They go by many names: Joe Public, Jane Public, Joe Sixpack, etc.
Basically the people you see on shows like "Street Smarts" or "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?"
Old 2008-05-10, 13:40   Link #148
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

VERY NICE packaging. I was not planning to buy this series, but I just happened to be walking down the anime isle and suddenly, Pa-zow! what is this?! another magnetic limited edition box with character CDs inside? Yes I want it!
Old 2008-05-10, 23:15   Link #149
Magedark

Where do you shop for anime?

My Best Buy sells anime, but the box sets are in bad condition. Many dents and boxes pushed in <_<. I saw Lucky Star, but I was happy I bought it over the internet. It was cheaper over the internet than at Best Buy . I was surprised Best Buy sold anime though O_o.
Old 2008-05-11, 05:51   Link #150
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

I got my boxed set yesterday from Best Buy and its pretty much the same box style as the Haruhi limited edition, but the inside is more useful...no drawer...hahahah. Of course, nothing wrong with the box itself, it still looks great to have for any Lucky Star fan.
The Chocolate Cornett wipe was a fun gift to have...my sister did a "test drive" on it and wiped with it already.... The shirt looks nice, but a bit too big. Size XL, do they think that most anime fans are over weight??...or they just want the shirt to last longer from shrinking.

As for the DVD itself, I enjoyed the dub. The extra features were pretty cool and I liked the "scene notes #1 and #2" in the extras...didn't really know that...

Overall, it was a good volume 1 release of Lucky Star. Although it came through a pretty big price compared to when I first got Haruhi (thanks to gas going up...), but I'll sacrifice another chunk of money for the upcoming limited edition volumes.
Although, the cover for the limited edition....was it the same for the Japanese version?...it seems to be a bit...ugly in a way...
Old 2008-05-11, 11:34   Link #151
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
Although, the cover for the limited edition....was it the same for the Japanese version?...it seems to be a bit...ugly in a way...
No, in Japan, that was the cover for the REGULAR edition. They switched them around for the american version, which kinda annoyed me because I think that, while the crayon-covers might be funny, they're still hideous. Maybe I'll just do like some random guy on AoD and put the liner-notes insert over it, as that has the coverart from the regular edition...
Old 2008-05-11, 11:46   Link #152
Once and Current Subber

Maybe it's just marketing sanity? That box art never would have flown commercially - retailers would have taken one look at it and said "oh, this show's for five-year-olds? We'll pass, thanks." But they can safely stuff it inside the colorful and well-drawn boxes of the limited editions without fear...
Old 2008-05-11, 12:45   Link #153
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Where do you shop for anime?

My Best Buy sells anime, but the box sets are in bad condition. Many dents and boxes pushed in <_<. I saw Lucky Star, but I was happy I bought it over the internet. It was cheaper over the internet than at Best Buy . I was surprised Best Buy sold anime though O_o.
There's a separate thread for where to *buy* anime..... but I always buy it online. I've searched for local (I like to buy local) but the chain-store boxes are as you say, unworthy (and Best Buy, Walmart, etc have horrendous business practices that don't get my dollar).
DVDpacific, Rightstuf, and on rare occasion, Amazon (last resort) get most of my dollars
Old 2008-05-11, 23:23   Link #154
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

I'm alright with the limited edition covers, but its just out of the ordinary to see something like that as a "limited edition". Usually limited edition covers would be unique in its own way. So I guess this is considered as being unique in its own way.
Just like what avatar_notADV has said, its was released like this due to marketing sales and statistics and such. One look at Konata's hand drawn picture of Kagami by any casual anime fan and they would turn their heads right out of its sight imediately...unless they take a look at the back cover and see what the show was all about, then maybe they might take another shot at taking a risk of purchasing the DVD. I guess the upcoming limited edition box covers are a good way of covering up the Konata's crayon art of a cover in the upcoming Lucky Star volumes.
Old 2008-05-12, 05:36   Link #155
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
I'm also OK with the R1 LE covers since I already have the R1 regular covers from the R2 LEs, which is an improvement over Haruhi where I got the same covers twice (or three times since I recently ordered the first volume again for the UK release..), although the R2 Haruhi LEs did include the RE covers as postcards. Clannad on the other hand.. nice as the LE covers are I hope they include copies of the RE covers at some point as those are also very nice.
Old 2008-05-13, 06:56   Link #156
Shizzon
MEDIC!!

Location: Somewhere where anime is real and I watch reality on TV
Send a message via AIM to Shizzon
i went out and got the box set at best buy and i was happy that they had it since my best buy's anime section is only two shelves wide. but i did enjoy the dub and i loved getting all that free stuff. looks like i'm going to be buying more LE boxes >_< (i can hear my wallet complaining already)
Old 2008-05-13, 20:28   Link #157
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzon View Post
i loved getting all that free stuff
Hate to disabuse you but.. you paid for that stuff.
Old 2008-05-13, 23:14   Link #158
Shizzon
MEDIC!!

Location: Somewhere where anime is real and I watch reality on TV
Send a message via AIM to Shizzon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroi Hane View Post
Hate to disabuse you but.. you paid for that stuff.
i always considered it free bonus stuff even though yes i did pay for it. i was never one for details
Old 2008-05-15, 23:13   Link #159
Magedark

And it looks like 2nd volume is coming out in July!
Old 2008-05-16, 02:44   Link #160
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Indeed. The second volume (standard and limited edition) due for release on 1st July so it seems they are planned on the usual 2 month release schedule.
Closed Thread