Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2008-07-13, 20:10   Link #1
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
WanderingKnight's futile efforts at sketching

Well, some time ago I posted here showcasing my decisiveness of learning how to draw. Needless to say, that project, like most of which I've started, failed terribly without me even attempting anything at all. However, a few days ago, in the spur of the moment, I bought a sketchbook and started drawing, out of the blue. My first few attempts were quite laughable, of course, but I believe I managed to do some progress... It still sucks, though. But if I had people criticizing what I do and pointing out my mistakes it would be very nice.

Also, I'm currently in the process of learning how the hell to draw a hand properly, so any pointers on that would be really welcome.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

07/13/2008

Here's my attempt of the day. It was the one that made me take the decision of finally posting in a thread here, so I can't say I'm not somewhat proud of it. It started as a copy of Chii in this picture, and little by little I started adding my own modifications.

Spoiler:

I know, it sucks... I made it on a whim and it took me less than an hour to finish it. Didn't take any sort of measurements or anything, just a rough sketch to test myself.

Hopefully this one's a bit easier on the eyes:

Spoiler:

Though it's amazing how only after you finish tracing it you realize the eye positioning is way off. The face's a bit long, too, but overall I put a lot more technical effort in this, and I believe it paid off.

As always, complaints, criticisms and even flames welcome.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2008-07-13 at 23:08.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 20:13   Link #2
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
I like your handwriting, SERIOUSLY. The entire sketch lacks of detail and the facial is totally distorted. Apparently the hair comes all the same "size"
Old 2008-07-13, 20:22   Link #3
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Well, I did it in under an hour, with whatever free time I had... I really didn't focus on adding detail. Also, size is really small (approximately 10 cm tall).

I'm trying to get the basic shapes down well first.

Old 2008-07-13, 20:27   Link #4
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Well, I did it in under an hour, with whatever free time I had... I really didn't focus on adding detail. Also, size is really small (approximately 10 cm tall).

I'm trying to get the basic shapes down well first.
You should really draw a guide first, it helps when your drawing is distorted. Need a tutorial to good handwriting though, which did you use?
Old 2008-07-13, 20:28   Link #5
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Need a tutorial to good handwriting though, which did you use?
Uh... I'm not sure whether you're being funny or just obnoxious...

Old 2008-07-13, 20:32   Link #6
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Uh... I'm not sure whether you're being funny or just obnoxious...
Just joking around, though my handwriting is really poor.
Old 2008-07-13, 22:25   Link #7
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I know next to nothing when it comes to drawing, but.... isn't there a system where you use shapes (squares, circles and triangles) to help you out with proportions?

I dont know how much that can help when drawing anime characters, but I always hear people talking about it, so...

Good luck!
Old 2008-07-13, 23:07   Link #8
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Hopefully this one's a bit easier on the eyes:

Spoiler:

Though it's amazing how only after you finish tracing it you realize the eye positioning is way off. The face's a bit long, too, but overall I put a lot more technical effort in this, and I believe it paid off.

Old 2008-07-13, 23:16   Link #9
ZeRoGravity

I have to say that you have to try harder at copying first. If you can't even copy a drawing properly you won't be able to draw anything on your own. For starter, buy yourself a copy of Drawing On The Right Side of Your Brain by Betty by Betty Edwards. Move on to classes, and ask instructors what books you should get for specific subjects - anatomy, drapery, color etc. If you have the chance, take life drawing. It will help you immensely.

As for hands, I personally not good at hands but it will help to draw your own hand every single day at least twice in different position. There are some position that it will be hard for you to see and or pose without hurting your hand so I recommend getting a small mirror. You can break the hand down into blocks, anatomy books will tell you how like Bridgeman's Complete Guide To Drawing Life.

Also, stop drawing anime. Do it as a side thing.
Old 2008-07-15, 00:30   Link #10
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Well, the hard truth is that you won't be able to do anything well without putting in time and effort, unless you have outstanding talent. Even so, to harvest that talent, you have to know what you're doing. I'm really sure you know it already, so it's kind of pointless for me to point it out.

However, for your first tries, none of those drawings look bad. Geez, who knows what kind of mutant creatures came out of the tip of my pencils when I first started drawing Manga. I'm sure they looked more like amebas rather than anime characters. However, ZeroGravity ( sorry, not gonna do the funky caps thing ) pointed out, a good drawing book and a solid desire to learn are your most powerful weapons. I personally saw great improvement after I threw away the impertinent thought that I was above those "beginner crap" you see in drawing books, left and right, and started to use those great methods. "Pff, drawing a cross in front of the face to mark the eyes and nose? I'm better than that!", or so I thought. Really, after I started to use'em, it was so much easier. So, why not try the other stuff?

Hands are tricky to do. It takes time to master them, and their movement, fingers and angles, things of the sort. But well-drawn hands, just because they're so hard to do, will win you a few points. Don't bother with them for now. Work on your proportions and anatomy.

Also, don't draw directly with the pen - not sure if it's what you're doing, but sure looks like it. It won't give you the ability to sketch your drawing, so you're bound to get things wrong, no matter how good an artist you are. Also, use a nice B2 pencil or mechanical pencil led and don't apply too much force as to leave marks or creaves on the paper you're drawing onto. Makes it easier to erase and won't leave too many marks either. A good eraser is also your friend, since an eraser of poor quality will most likely leave marks and smudge everything, which translates into a big nasty mess. Also, try to abandon the idea of using notebook paper to draw. I'm sure you could do with a cheap and light paper for the time being, so get yourself a sketchbook for that. The lines in the paper might help here and there at the beginning, but they look terrible.

I also understand that the idea of drawing real stuff really might not appeal to you at all and that it's not really what you wanted to do. But do try a few things here and there, because it does help. Nothing like doing the real thing when it comes to learning. No need to get too personal, either, but make an effort to pay attention to photographs and the way movements flow. It'll certainly help you out when it comes to drawing animu.

Good luck, and don't give up. There's still a long way to go, but one step at a time and you'll get there.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 10:19   Link #11
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Heh, I'm not drawing directly with a pen. I merely traced it after I was happy enough with the results.

Either way, I'm working on something else right now. It's going to suck either way, but I suppose I'm improving a little. And it's not manga-based, either.

Also, I made a couple more sketches using proportions, tutorials and whatnot. I'll post them when I have the time.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2008-07-15 at 10:33.
Old 2008-07-16, 07:58   Link #12
escimo
Paparazzi

Your drawings are not bad at all for first attempts. But as said proportions are a bit off. I picked up a simple rule for drawinf faces somewhere, 2/3 rule, which has helped me quite a bit. Width of the head is about 2/3 of the height and height of the face is about 2/3 of the height of the head. There's also quite a simple rule for placing ears. Top of the ear should be about at the height of the upper eye-lid and bottom of the ear at the hight of the tip of the nose.

Hands are insanely hard to draw. I sometimes take photos of my own hands in desired position and use them as a reference.

Anyway. It gets easier with practice. I also recommend copying drawings it's very good practice.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 15:28   Link #13
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Something new I've been working on. It's on its early stages... I sketched it out on the street and then spent a good three to four hours on it. I also definitely need to get a ruler for my straight lines, but I'm too lazy.

Spoiler:

Also, randomness:

Spoiler:

Sorry for the blurry pictures... I need to get a scanner soon.

PS: I hate hands.