AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2011-05-06, 13:17   Link #1
RedSwirl

PS3 Media Server

I'm surprised to find no main thread for this, and it's not really gone into in-depth in any of the main help threads either.

I finally started messing around with PS3 Media Server to get MKVs to work on my TV and I'm still running into problems, mainly configuring it for my network. I know the program has its own forum but I was wondering if anyone over here had some solutions.

I got the videos to play with MEncoder, even with subtitles on most videos, but I still get stuttering, even on sub-720p videos if I have to encode them. If there's no encoding needed then I can even stream 720p videos without any stutter.

My computer's CPU is a quad-core so I don't think that's the problem. The only other thing could be my wireless network. I only have a Netgear g router. I've tried lowering the max bandwidth in Mbits to around 10, but that just results in lower video quality with the stuttering still there.

If I use TSMuxer I don't get any stutter at all, but no subtitles either.
Old 2011-05-06, 13:50   Link #2
sneaker

I guess a problem could be that for real time encoding the bitrate has to relatively high in order to achieve transparency, which could - as you already suspected - put too much strain on your wireless network.

Is it possible to reconfig the PS3 media server's encoding settings? Maybe you can find a sweet spot, where it neither exceeds the WiFi's bandwidth nor your CPU's power.
Old 2011-05-06, 14:11   Link #3
RedSwirl

This is what we got:

Old 2011-05-06, 14:36   Link #4
sneaker

I just downloaded the PS3 media server and it seems that in only encodes to MPEG2 by default, which I have no knowledge about. (if it can be tuned to meet your demands).
x264 can most likely do what you want, but I don't know if it can be used with PS3 media server. I only found an old thread about it on their forum:
http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/...php?f=6&t=3025

I don't know whether support has been added in the mean time.
Old 2011-05-09, 15:33   Link #5
Inu_Sess__
Vinyl Nerd

Send a message via AIM to Inu_Sess__
I use the "Good quality for HD wifi transcoding" when I don't feel like unhooking cables and have had no problems. I run an old dual-core laptop too.
Old 2011-05-29, 01:55   Link #6
yeahitschris

i used to use PS3 MEDIA Server too but for 720p, .mkv & etc, it would never allow me to skip without re-buffering or no subs. now i just use:

10 feet HDMI wire

+

MINIDISPLAYPORT to HDMI

=

gets the job done nicely
Old 2011-05-29, 11:34   Link #7
spikexp

Well, some people actually have longer than 10 feet between the TV and the nearest computer.
Old 2011-06-02, 09:34   Link #8
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inu_Sess__ View Post
I use the "Good quality for HD wifi transcoding" when I don't feel like unhooking cables and have had no problems. I run an old dual-core laptop too.
That would be the likely solution.

But seeking help on their forum is the best bet.