AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-06-29, 21:45   Link #961
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I fail to see the problem Americans have with an additional tax when it is supposed to fund something as paramount as healthcare. It's not like the United States is getting a 40% tax on par with some European countries.
you are talking about a country founded by people who started a rebellion over taxes.
Old 2012-06-29, 23:15   Link #962
Xagzan

Well, over being taxed without actual representation in the governing Parliament. But over the centuries that seems to have mutated to "taxes = Satan."
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-30, 00:22   Link #963
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
you are talking about a country founded by people who started a rebellion over taxes.
Specifically, it was over not being *consulted* about taxes (no representation). It didn't help that the taxes were primarily manipulations by the mega-corporate interests of the time (e.g., East India Company, etc).

Sorry, we can't help it half our country appears to have no fucking clue as they lock-step into oblivion Over 40% of our country believes the earth is less than 10,000 years old and yes I think that's a relevant indicator
Old 2012-06-30, 01:02   Link #964
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Lots of people seem to forget it wasn't taxes, but taxation without representation that added fuel to the revolutionary fire.
Old 2012-06-30, 01:31   Link #965
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Well, over being taxed without actual representation in the governing Parliament. But over the centuries that seems to have mutated to "taxes = Satan."
People always want things for free. Government projects and services included.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-30, 03:30   Link #966
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
But don't you know, Obama said it wasn't a tax.

Now that it is a tax (according to Roberts) Obama has raised taxes via the individual mandate.

The only question now is--politically speaking--how will this all pan out by November?
Talking point aside, how exactly the "tax" is going to be enforced? There is NO penalty for not paying the tax. When you don't pay your tax, you can go to jail. When you don't pay your tax for this, you go to ______? For GOP, they can still manipulate this particular issue to their advantage with elections on the horizon.

Quote:
By ruling it a tax, Obamacare can now be overturned with only a reconcilliation vote of 51 in the senate rather than the required 60 for normal legislation.
This would make it much easier to repeal should the Republicans win this year.
Considering the hatred of the mandate by Americans (in addition to other issues), it is quite possible the Republicans will win congress and the presidency.
They didn't have an issue to run on prior to this, now they do.
It doesn't matter if they're lying through their teeth, perception in politics is nine-tenths of reality and now they have a major campaign slogan to run with "Repeal and Replace."
If it sticks, the Democrats will be out of power for at least 2 years and Obamacare will be history.
Even in a perfect scenario for GOP where they take the presidency, control House, and win majority in the Senate, they will still require a significant assent from the Senate Democrat for a repeal to the definition of that word. Considering how polarized each party is with their respective views, it will be a cold day in hell before this bill is repelaed. GOP will be able to strip away few things and block the funding with that perfect scenario in place (and perhaps starts calling the bill GOPcare), but as far as repeal goes, that's going to be a pipe dream just because majority of these provisions will stay put. There is no way to "replace" them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
Savor it while it lasts!
I intend to! You, on the other hand, shouldn't get carried away just yet. Remember, we all get sick sometime.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-30, 03:52   Link #967
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Talking point aside, how exactly the "tax" is going to be enforced? There is NO penalty for not paying the tax. When you don't pay your tax, you can go to jail. When you don't pay your tax for this, you go to ______? For GOP, they can still manipulate this particular issue to their advantage with elections on the horizon.
That is a darn good question Monir.
I wish I had a concrete answer for you.
However, the only things that are being talked about with regard to this on the main stream circuits of news is that the IRS will garnish wages, keep your tax return (or the amount to cover the tax), or take the tax out of your bank account.
Under what authority the IRS does this is not yet known.

Quote:
Even in a perfect scenario for GOP where they take the presidency, control House, and win majority in the Senate, they will still require a significant assent from the Senate Democrat for a repeal to the definition of that word. Considering how polarized each party is with their respective views, it will be a cold day in hell before this bill is repelaed. GOP will be able to strip away few things and block the funding with that perfect scenario in place (and perhaps starts calling the bill GOPcare), but as far as repeal goes, that's going to be a pipe dream just because majority of these provisions will stay put. There is no way to "replace" them.
If the mandate were not a "tax" then I would agree with you.
However, now that is has been ruled a tax, this law is subject to the rules of reconcilliation.
That means only 51 votes are needed in the senate.
If the GOP were to make a clean sweep this election cycle they would have enough votes to make the 51 number they would need to repeal it.

This article explains the GOP strategy pretty well.

The Republican recipe for repeal
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0612/78002.html

My own opinion is that this law is DOA.
States can now opt out completely, the medicare portion was struck down as unconstitutional, so paying for this law to get implemented is going to require more legislation that simply will not get passed with a GOP controlled house.
Add to that the inherent hatred of this law (it is a really bad one IMHO), and I can see it getting repealed.
Besides, what the US needs is a medicare/medicaid style program for the poor, not some mandate/tax to buy corporate insurance.
As Vexx said here somewhere buried in this thread, insurance companies should be forced to become non-profit companies that survive off both premiums from those who can afford to pay, and government subsidies for those who cannot pay.
This mandate crap that Roberts has supported is just more corporatist nonsense to force people to buy a product they cannot afford.
Old 2012-06-30, 03:55   Link #968
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I am watching a Romney spokesman talking about how he wants market forces to cover those with pre-existing conditions...

How?

Market forces made it clear after all these years; the only way to maximise profit in health insurance is NOT to cover everyone, and give the least health cover to those who need it most. "Market" can't help people here... The sick and the frail are not profitable to make money from.

Health insurance doesn't profit from having more customers; health insurance profit from not covering sick customers. And yet the Romney spokesman pretended that this isn't the case. I guess he assumes his supporters are too stupid to notice.
Old 2012-06-30, 05:11   Link #969
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
If the GOP were to make a clean sweep this election cycle they would have enough votes to make the 51 number they would need to repeal it.

This article explains the GOP strategy pretty well.

The Republican recipe for repeal
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0612/78002.html
Read the last paragraph. The beauty of this bill when it was passed in 2010 is that it will never go away. All GOP will ever be able to do is to rebrand with their own marking and give it a new name and stop the flow of the money (the budget) to fund this bill. That's it.

The strategy here is pretty obvious for the taking: It's to test the waters to see how much uproar can be rekindled so people will vote for Romney/GOP out of spite for Obama/Democrat. We will see how far this strategy can take GOP. I'll put down my money on not-too-far. I give them about a month before the talking points turn to bigger and better things like the economy, jobs etc.

Quote:
Besides, what the US needs is a medicare/medicaid style program for the poor, not some mandate/tax to buy corporate insurance.
As Vexx said here somewhere buried in this thread, insurance companies should be forced to become non-profit companies that survive off both premiums from those who can afford to pay, and government subsidies for those who cannot pay.
This mandate crap that Roberts has supported is just more corporatist nonsense to force people to buy a product they cannot afford.
Vexx needs to catch up....

Robert's take has pretty much nullified for any such duplicity in the future when he stated that Government cannot mandate people to buy insurance under the Commerce Law. Before this ruling, the danger was that government (Congress) can pretty much create a product and then will force the people to be its consumer. This ruling effectively limits Commerce Law. And then when Robert said that the bill cannot be imposed on the states to expand their program, it pretty much reinforces and strengthen the above notion.

I think we can all agree that this bill has a lot of room for improvement before it wins over the hearts of people. It, however, has opened the door for the idea what Healthcare should be about. Whoever is in power won't be able to close that door. The repeal won't happen. Even if GOP manages to get as close to a repeal to the definiton of that word (which is highly improbable), the idea of "Repeal" will sound as hollow just as when Bush Jr. famously declared "Mission Accomplished."

Sorry, I could not resist.
Old 2012-06-30, 12:47   Link #970
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Read the last paragraph. The beauty of this bill when it was passed in 2010 is that it will never go away. All GOP will ever be able to do is to rebrand with their own marking and give it a new name and stop the flow of the money (the budget) to fund this bill. That's it.
By last paragraph, were you referring to this:

“They paved the way for that,” said Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-Ga.), a physician, referring to Democrats in 2009. “They’ve already set the precedent for utilizing reconciliation on a piece of legislation where it’s never been used before. So tit for tat, in regard to that. Absolutely, if we need to use reconciliation to get rid of this monstrosity, we will. I’ll be for that.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz1zIRdWBX8

The Republicans are making this into a political crusade, if they win the majorities they need and the WH, they will repeal this law.
What they replace it with is what has me worried.
I'm willing to bet the GOP will give us something even worse.

Quote:
The strategy here is pretty obvious for the taking: It's to test the waters to see how much uproar can be rekindled so people will vote for Romney/GOP out of spite for Obama/Democrat. We will see how far this strategy can take GOP. I'll put down my money on not-too-far. I give them about a month before the talking points turn to bigger and better things like the economy, jobs etc.
They've got the uproar, that started yesterday.
The Tea Party is now winding up and getting support, as is Mitt Romney.

Quote:
Vexx needs to catch up....

Robert's take has pretty much nullified for any such duplicity in the future when he stated that Government cannot mandate people to buy insurance under the Commerce Law. Before this ruling, the danger was that government (Congress) can pretty much create a product and then will force the people to be its consumer. This ruling effectively limits Commerce Law. And then when Robert said that the bill cannot be imposed on the states to expand their program, it pretty much reinforces and strengthen the above notion.

I think we can all agree that this bill has a lot of room for improvement before it wins over the hearts of people. It, however, has opened the door for the idea what Healthcare should be about. Whoever is in power won't be able to close that door. The repeal won't happen. Even if GOP manages to get as close to a repeal to the definiton of that word (which is highly improbable), the idea of "Repeal" will sound as hollow just as when Bush Jr. famously declared "Mission Accomplished."

Sorry, I could not resist.
Roberts did more than just that, he limited government power considerably since he deemed a mandate an overreach.
How this plays out in the future remains to be seen, but it in no way prevents or restricts a repeal of this law.
Old 2012-06-30, 12:57   Link #971
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
I'm willing to bet the GOP will give us something even worse.
I take your bet and raise you 20 >_< The neo-cons are not that creative (they are destructive, which ain't the same), their wet dream is returning the status quo to what it was before (and destroying medicare completely if posible, which is returrnig everything to an even prior state). But receving something (anything) from the neo-cons is like saying Santa brought you coal as a present.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-30, 12:59   Link #972
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Some seem to have this fantasy that the GOP will repeal it and put in some real healthcare reform.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-30, 13:13   Link #973
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
I take your bet and raise you 20 >_< The neo-cons are not that creative (they are destructive, which ain't the same), their wet dream is returning the status quo to what it was before (and destroying medicare completely if posible, which is returrnig everything to an even prior state). But receving something (anything) from the neo-cons is like saying Santa brought you coal as a present.
I'm willing to bet it's worse than that mangamuscle.
The Neo-Con plan for the healtcare system looks more like this:

The Neoconservative “Health Care” Bill: How Dumb Do They Think We Are?

http://www.populistdaily.com/general...nk-we-are.html
Old 2012-07-02, 12:51   Link #974
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
By last paragraph, were you referring to this:
Sorry about that... I had to pause three times before I could hit submit for that post and then had to run. Anyway, I was referring to the last paragraph from the first page of that article where it says:
"On top of that, some budget experts believe not every part of the health care law could be repealed using the simple-majority rules of reconciliation — only the parts that have a direct budget impact. Still, major portions, including the individual mandate, could be targeted by reconciliation."
With that said, I don't know if you had the pleasure of watching Face the Nation yesterday (Sunday) where John Boehner braves a few questions about the aftermath of a successful "repeal." There seems to be no planning for what they will "replace" it with other than reverting the clock to how it used to be. Power to the insurance companies.

Quote:
Roberts did more than just that, he limited government power considerably since he deemed a mandate an overreach. How this plays out in the future remains to be seen, but it in no way prevents or restricts a repeal of this law.
Unfortunately, there is always two sides of the coin. It might be a good thing to an extent, but in the same breath, the negative aspect is also out there for the taking. SeijiSensei posted briefly about it above from one point of view.
Old 2012-07-02, 13:23   Link #975
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Cue spotlights on "what will you replace it with, GOP? Be specific because we *have* specifics on the current now-vetted plan."

Problem is, the GOP has already *said* what they've want repeatedly and by many different members/leaders -- total destruction of the community safety net, "screw you, I've got mine", tax revenues redirected directly to certain corporations rather than back to the community,... shall I go on?
Old 2012-07-02, 19:52   Link #976
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Sorry about that... I had to pause three times before I could hit submit for that post and then had to run. Anyway, I was referring to the last paragraph from the first page of that article where it says:
"On top of that, some budget experts believe not every part of the health care law could be repealed using the simple-majority rules of reconciliation — only the parts that have a direct budget impact. Still, major portions, including the individual mandate, could be targeted by reconciliation."
With that said, I don't know if you had the pleasure of watching Face the Nation yesterday (Sunday) where John Boehner braves a few questions about the aftermath of a successful "repeal." There seems to be no planning for what they will "replace" it with other than reverting the clock to how it used to be. Power to the insurance companies.
Yes and Boner was practically speechless with regard to what he and his fellow Neo-Cons want to replace it with.
It's obvious that they want people to have to buy insurance from corporations, what they don't want is what I want: a health care cushion for the poor that is payed by taxes, preferably by taxing Wall Street on its dividens.

Quote:
Unfortunately, there is always two sides of the coin. It might be a good thing to an extent, but in the same breath, the negative aspect is also out there for the taking. SeijiSensei posted briefly about it above from one point of view.
I agree, this whole situation has become a mess of legislative-juggling and judicial showmanship.
It looks like a 3-ring circus at this point and in my humble opinion the poor are the ones who are going to get the shaft in all of this.
Old 2013-06-08, 13:07   Link #977
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Thank you, Singapore

The country’s health-care system is not just low-cost but also very effective in terms of saving lives

Quote:
By Gillian Tett

Jul 7, 2013 (Fri)

A decade ago, I had an experience that left me profoundly grateful to Singapore’s health-care system. During a work trip to the island state, I was suddenly taken ill and succumbed to a rare variety of meningitis. In many countries, I would have died but two extraordinary things occurred.

First, a colleague had a strange premonition that something was wrong and came to my hotel room, where she found me sliding into a coma. Second, the colleague then had me rushed to a local hospital, where Singaporean doctors identified the problem with astonishing efficiency and then took a bold medical gamble to save my life.

(Essentially, they injected every type of antibiotic they possessed directly into my heart because they did not have any tailored way of treating the rare strain of meningitis I had.)

When that risky gamble pulled me out of the coma, the hospital staff set me on the long path to rehabilitation, with further efficiency and grace.

And, a few months later, came another surprise. When I stumbled on some of the paperwork between the hospital and my insurance group, I noticed that the bill for the intervention was not that large.

“If this had happened in America, it would be many times that size,” a colleague later grimly remarked in New York. (To which I retorted that if the incident had happened in America, I might not have survived at all since litigation risk might have deterred the doctors from engaging in that antibiotic gamble.)

...The statistics are striking. At present, America spends about 18 per cent of its gross domestic product on health care, more than any other Western nation. But while this produces fantastic results in some niches (such as cancer treatment), the metrics for infant mortality, adult deaths, life expectancy and other health issues are worse than many Western nations.

Singapore’s health-care costs, by contrast, are just 4.6 per cent of its GDP; and while the system is based on insurance programmes, premiums per capita are just 2 per cent of those paid by Americans. But on issues such as life expectancy, infant mortality, premature adult death — and, yes, emergency care — Singapore produces much better outcomes...

THE FINANCIAL TIMES

For full story, follow the link above.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 14:10   Link #978
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
At present, America spends about 18 per cent of its gross domestic product on health care, more than any other Western nation. But while this produces fantastic results in some niches (such as cancer treatment), the metrics for infant mortality, adult deaths, life expectancy and other health issues are worse than many Western nations.
The "spending for what we're getting" metric often makes people think that our system is inefficient. While there are inefficiencies there's more to the story. I think everyone accepts that America has the highest obesity rates not just among developed countries, but across the entire world. What many people don't realize is that obesity opens a person up to many, many other health conditions, both chronic and acute. It is well recognized that modern medicine is more about managing those life-long illnesses and complications than it is dealing with short-term illnesses.

Consider also how health insurance works: people pay into a money pool with the idea that members paying into the pool can withdraw from the pool during times of need. With chronic conditions you have members who are constantly withdrawing from the pool each time they buy their monthly dose of medication, every time they visit the doctor, and every time they end up in the hospital because their chronic condition flared up into a life-threatening acute condition due to non-compliance with medications or instructions. Even without considering corporate profits the insurance pool is unsustainable if it loses more money than it takes in, and thus insurance becomes very expensive.

Obesity and its complications shorten a person's lifespan, as well. Put it all together and we are indeed spending more and seemingly getting less based on the measurable metrics, but I don't know how much is really attributable to the differences in healthcare systems. In many ways the population has done this to itself through unhealthy eating habits, unhealthy lifestyle choices, and an unhealthy work attitude (more hours spent working means less time for healthier activities, and we get nothing for that trade-off; the economists indicate that we are not more productive than many European nations).

It's true that getting people to visit the doctor more often, going through primary care physicians instead of the emergency department, and relying more on primary care physicians over specialists all can cut costs. Having a high cost to healthcare creates a barrier to such activities, and we are arguably in a vicious cycle at the moment. Ultimately society needs to take some responsibility for itself, though. Switching healthcare models won't magically make the population healthier, and without a healthier population those healthcare costs are going to remain high.
Old 2013-06-08, 17:50   Link #979
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I've been adjusting my diet over the past few weeks in an attempt to eat less meat. It's difficult in America, though--especially when everything I've ever been taught about cooking (both by my family and in restaurants) screams that meat must be present in every single meal.

As a result of financial troubles, though, I've switched to a low-meat diet... and not only do I not miss the meat, but I feel loads better on top of that. Eating mostly vegetables, fruits, good grains with a little cheese and egg and the occasional meat dish, my digestive system has (mostly) stopped trying to murder me from the inside out.

I've still got a long way to go, though... I need to drink more water (unfortunately, the tap around here tastes like sucking on a chunk of copper) and I need to get more exercise (this will be addressed soon) and I need to kill my soda addiction (ugh, this isn't going to be easy). I'm not in nearly as good shape as I was when I was a teen, and I still have excessive bloating and gas throughout the month... not just the time it normally shows up, either.

I'm not overweight and I know that as I get older my metabolism is going to slow, so I have to get out of this "raised in the South" mentality of eating everything with loads of meat, animal fat and butter. I've been doing a lot of Asian cooking recently and it's considerably healthier with more vegetables, lighter oils (peanut, soybean, sesame) and far, far less meat.
Old 2013-06-08, 18:25   Link #980
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The country’s health-care system is not just low-cost but also very effective in terms of saving lives
What if you can't afford health insurance?

They raised their rates last year btw. In fact, the issue with our healthcare right now is that the insurance companies can no longer afford to dish out payments as regularly due to the aging population, and the number of doctors cannot keep up with the increasing number of patients (which rising population is only a part of)

Supply of insurance/doctors low, demand increasing, price goes up. For that person who wrote the article, she has a crapload of what we don't have - money.

Our newspapers should stop with that happy-newsing - that overly optimistic slant about great healthcare is hurting the local population via medical tourism, pushes demand for healthcare even higher.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health, healthcare