AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-06, 01:51   Link #41
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrace View Post
As of the recent episode, it's pretty clear what Maria's feelings are re: Mamoru. I agree with kuro...physical attraction is not the only thing that that defines love between two characters. She basically gives up Saki and everything she knows to be with Mamoru, which is the strongest example of love I've yet to see in the series. (I never would've thought she had it in her tbh. She's quickly becoming one of my favorite characters, although I know I shouldn't get too attached
Spoiler for spoiler:
)
She became a true adult and a decent woman...
Old 2013-01-06, 11:05   Link #42
deadsea

No need to be very explicit, it's all there, Maria has always been with mamoru, their union is very strong even if no sex action, the devotion, affection and concern they feel for one another is visible, not necessarily should have sex and say the word "I love you" to confirm.
Old 2013-01-10, 19:50   Link #43
Kazu-kun

So basically they're really good friends. Well, we already knew that. We just didn't knew how far she was will to go for him.

On the other hand, even if she decided this on her own, I think she did feel pretty bad about leaving Saki.
Old 2013-01-10, 20:34   Link #44
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
On the other hand, even if she decided this on her own, I think she did feel pretty bad about leaving Saki.
Probably.. but she has to choose and she chose Mamoru. She knows Mamoru loves her without a doubt. It's time she get out of the 14 year old romance.

Come to think of it, will Maria's love for Saki will ever bear fruit? Will their society allow it?

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-01-10 at 20:54.
Old 2013-01-10, 20:49   Link #45
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsea View Post
No need to be very explicit, it's all there, Maria has always been with mamoru, their union is very strong even if no sex action, the devotion, affection and concern they feel for one another is visible, not necessarily should have sex and say the word "I love you" to confirm.
I can't say that I agree.

The only impression that I took from Maria (until recent episodes) is that she tolerated Mamoru, and was somewhat moved by his degree of dedication to her. She didn't seem to mind him tagging along behind her and Saki. But it's not like she talked with him a lot. She seemed to talk much more with Saki. Mamoru really was like a third wheel that Maria tolerated while Saki was (at times) a bit annoyed by.

Also, Mamoru "held out" for Maria, in the sense that Mamoru loved her so much that he couldn't get into a romantic pairing that didn't include her. Maria obviously didn't "hold out" for Mamoru in the same way. Honestly, that says a lot to me.

I can't say that Maria's shift from Saki to Mamoru has been handled all that well. It's hard for me to make sense out of.

Is it just that Maria is a total conformist, and hence will do what her society expects her to do when it comes to relationships? That can't be it because of what she's prepared to do now.

Is it that Maria had a harsh falling out with Saki? I'm not getting much sense of that here.

Is it that Saki is now tied to a guy? I don't think that's happened yet.

Maria now loving Mamoru more than she does Saki really does feel like it's come out of left field to me.
Old 2013-01-10, 22:24   Link #46
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Maria now loving Mamoru more than she does Saki really does feel like it's come out of left field to me.
Well, she never said such a thing anyway. She went with Mamoru because Mamoru didn't have anyone else and she cares about him, but I don't think that means that she loved him more. I don't think the series was trying to make it seem that way either.
Old 2013-01-10, 22:27   Link #47
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Well, she never said such a thing anyway. She went with Mamoru because Mamoru didn't have anyone else and she cares about him, but I don't think that means that she loved him more. I don't think the series was trying to make it seem that way either.
She's an idiot if that's the case. If she loves Saki then go hell with it. Why force to care to others out of pity and sacrifice your love unless she knows it'll be one sided and will never bear fruit...
Old 2013-01-10, 22:33   Link #48
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Ok. I guess I could see it being a case of "Mamoru needs me. He's very sensitive and he has nobody else. Saki is very strong. She doesn't need me. So I'll go where I'm needed the most."

I like that interpretation of Maria. I can go with that. I don't doubt that she loves Mamoru some, anyway.
Old 2013-01-11, 11:47   Link #49
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Maria's decision makes sense to me. While Maria doesn't love Mamoru romantically, it's clear she cares about him a lot. She knew he had no chance of survival on his own so she couldn't leave him all alone.

The separation with Saki is hard for her, but I think that deep down, she knew their relationship had no future. Saki simply doesn't see her that way and it's doubtful her feelings will ever change. That might have influenced her decision.
Old 2013-01-11, 11:55   Link #50
deadsea

Anyway, Maria wanted to be with Mamoru because he needed someone, even if she doesn't see him as their "love" is something that a friend would also do, however I don't suppose that she thought things could go wrong and end up moving away even more of society. I guess She thought it would be momentary while saki-Satoru fixed the problem.
Old 2013-01-11, 12:01   Link #51
Eragon
Still Alive

Yeah, unrequited love is a bitch.
To me, Maria is the most interesting character after Tomiko and Satoru.
Well, for me, this show never was one to look for pairings. I want to know what made her snap.
Old 2013-01-11, 16:14   Link #52
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Yeah, unrequited love is a bitch.
To me, Maria is the most interesting character after Tomiko and Satoru.
Well, for me, this show never was one to look for pairings. I want to know what made her snap.
But I bet you already have a pair in mind....
Old 2013-01-12, 01:29   Link #53
youngrace
Inactive Member

I think it's easy to take a very narrow-minded view on what love is. It sometimes requires romantically "liking" someone, but sometimes it doesn't. Maria pretty much gave up the ultimate sacrifice for Mamoru, which is love in my opinion. She's sexually attracted to Saki and loves her in the more active sense, but her love for Mamoru is more passive, more understated, and brings out the best in her imo.
Old 2013-01-12, 02:17   Link #54
Kazu-kun

^ It's just a different kind of love. You love your family and friends, but not in the same way you love a lover.

Maria loves Mamoru, of course, but not as a lover, imo.
Old 2013-01-12, 05:27   Link #55
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
^ It's just a different kind of love. You love your family and friends, but not in the same way you love a lover.

Maria loves Mamoru, of course, but not as a lover, imo.
Funny. Maria not only choose Mamoru above Saki but above her family itself. She risked her safety and her family's reputation for the sake of being with Mamoru. That's way beyond love.... It's pure love I'm telling you. She could be called a lunatic, a crazy girl for choosing a weakling like Mamoru.

Yes, she had done "it" with Saki, and probably Satoru might have did the same with Shun but who did Saki and Shun choose to love and confess to? Basically it not their "playmates". Maria is probably love Saki but as friend with "sex" as part of that relationship.

Maria could love Saki but not as a long time partner. She chose Mamoru cause Mamoru is special and she doesn't need to say anything to prove that.

As a summary, Maria's love for Mamoru is beyond the love she feels to Saki, beyond the love she has for her family.. then what kind of love is it? Pity? Yah, joking? It's "unconditional love, a pure love that doesn't need sex and words to prove ones feeling to that person.

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-01-12 at 06:13.
Old 2013-01-12, 07:15   Link #56
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
As a summary, Maria's love for Mamoru is beyond the love she feels to Saki
I disagree. It's just a different kind of love imo. She loves Mamoru as a friend, family even, but not as a lover.

In any case, let's wait till next episode. The letter the bakenezumi gave Saki is from Maria. It will probably make her feels more clear for us.
Old 2013-01-12, 07:23   Link #57
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
I disagree. It's just a different kind of love imo. She loves Mamoru as a friend, family even, but not as a lover.
She's one hell of a person if that's the case.

Quote:
In any case, let's wait till next episode. The letter the bakenezumi gave Saki is from Maria. It will probably make her feels more clear for us.
Episode 15? I never got to watch 14 yet..
Old 2013-01-12, 08:13   Link #58
kuromitsu

Episode 16, actually.

I continue to not understand the discussion here...
Old 2013-01-12, 10:13   Link #59
Eragon
Still Alive

I don't either. Why the hell is everyone hell bent on who Maria's mate is? That's doesn't constitute her entire character.

And, seriously, calling Saki a friend-with-benefits for Maira is really demeaning. I understand you don't like yuri couples but that's no reason to project your feelings over her character and attack her if she doesn't measure up to them.

Last edited by Eragon; 2013-01-12 at 11:43.
Old 2013-01-12, 12:37   Link #60
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
I don't either. Why the hell is everyone hell bent on who Maria's mate is? That's doesn't constitute her entire character.

And, seriously, calling Saki a friend-with-benefits for Maira is really demeaning. I understand you don't like yuri couples but that's no reason to project your feelings over her character and attack her if she doesn't measure up to them.
Maybe the people doing the arguement know the upcoming spoiler material, like the Shun arguements.

So far the same sex pairings have disappeared about now for their society. Same sex relationships are basically a friend-with-benefits relationship that would not last. Forbidden love, blah, blah, blah.

The same sex relationships were prob conditioned just like the switch to hetero pairing.

Tags
characters