AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-22, 05:30   Link #2801
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
1st season ep7:11:17 - "withing dimensional time-space" in time stamp.

Also second later "inter-dimensional cruise patrol warship" - heh. So, no, it's NOT hyperspace

11:45 "planned to arrive at our target dimension in roughly 160 vecs"

12:49 another time stamp "High Dimensional time-space" - and it indeed written differently in Japanese from 11:17 - so... different layers?

Ep8:10:16 "withing dimensional space, there exist countless worlds"

PS. IIRC "dimensional sea" was used in booklets translation for TSAB HQ - but I'm really not sure.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.

Last edited by al103; 2010-12-22 at 05:52.
Old 2010-12-22, 06:37   Link #2802
Kallen4life

well .. how is it different from regular space then ? all those planets are just in different solar systems (galaxies even maybe ?) I assume anyway. And they have methods of getting there quick (as compared to using fuel rockets like we do atm), via teleportation or this dimension see

So dimension sea = space ? Looks different though

Or maybe their whole Universe is set up very differently from ours - like each 'world' is in it's own 'dimension', accessible via dimension sea, but not via regular space travel, i.e. cut off from other 'worlds' .. hmm, interesting .. how big is each 'world' then ? solar system size ? Certainly seems to be much smaller then a typical Universe (~billions/trillions of galaxies) in our understanding
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold

Last edited by Kallen4life; 2010-12-22 at 07:00.
Old 2010-12-22, 13:04   Link #2803
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
1st season ep7:11:17 - "withing dimensional time-space" in time stamp.

Also second later "inter-dimensional cruise patrol warship" - heh. So, no, it's NOT hyperspace

11:45 "planned to arrive at our target dimension in roughly 160 vecs"

12:49 another time stamp "High Dimensional time-space" - and it indeed written differently in Japanese from 11:17 - so... different layers?

Ep8:10:16 "withing dimensional space, there exist countless worlds"

PS. IIRC "dimensional sea" was used in booklets translation for TSAB HQ - but I'm really not sure.
Gotcha, thanks. The original runes are "次元空間". This section on the Japanese wiki tries to explain the bit about dimension space and the worlds in it, but I cannot even begin to translate it properly...
Old 2010-12-22, 23:04   Link #2804
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

During the flashback, was Nanoha wounded in the chest or abdomen?
Old 2010-12-23, 00:52   Link #2805
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
During the flashback, was Nanoha wounded in the chest or abdomen?
Really hard to say, as we don't really see it. Just quite a bit of blood. Given that she couldn't walk after, I'm at least assuming some spinal damage. Her chest was wrapped with bandages when she was in the hospital bed, so I'm going with that.
Old 2010-12-23, 02:11   Link #2806
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Is there any way to guess which Liese twin assumed Nanoha's appearance and which, Fate's?
Old 2010-12-23, 12:11   Link #2807
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
Is there any way to guess which Liese twin assumed Nanoha's appearance and which, Fate's?
Not for sure, but we have some hints. Remember, Aria is the one skilled in magic, and Lotte is skilled in physical combat. So Aria tends to use the cards to bind people. Knowing this, take a look at the scene right before they slice Vita; Nanoha is holding a glowing card while Fate's hand is glowing. Thus, my assumption is that Aria took Nanoha's form and Lotte was Fate.
Old 2010-12-30, 16:13   Link #2808
DKN117

1. The TSAB bans "mass-based" weapons. Would this include directed-energy weapons (plasma rifles, particle-beam weapons) as well, or would it just ban modern-Earth-style projectile weapons?

2. Any idea what the TSAB uses for large-scale power (power grids, starships, etc.)? Fission or fusion reactors, or something else?
Old 2010-12-30, 18:22   Link #2809
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKN117 View Post
1. The TSAB bans "mass-based" weapons. Would this include directed-energy weapons (plasma rifles, particle-beam weapons) as well, or would it just ban modern-Earth-style projectile weapons?
Hard to say for sure. When Fate was talking with Erio and Caro in the helicopter, one of the points Erio makes is that some of these weapons were basically incredibly easy to use, and could be used by anyone; push one button and cause a lot of death. My gut says the TSAB would pretty much root out the larger ones, and just regulate the lower ones where they could. So you could probably technically have a hand gun or a hand-held laser gun (or a stun gun). But large weapons, whether a missile with a high-yield explosive warhead, or a big anti-matter cannon, would be off-limits.

In short, my theory is that destructive potential is the more important regulating fact than weapon type.

Quote:
2. Any idea what the TSAB uses for large-scale power (power grids, starships, etc.)? Fission or fusion reactors, or something else?
Again, we don't really have a clue, as it never really says. The motoecycle that Teana borrowed from Vice, and later used in the cradle, wasn't emitting any exhaust, and functioned just fine in a null-magic field, so I'd say some sort of electrical power. But that's small scale.

For large scale mundane use, I'd say they probably use fusion reactors. Fairly clean power source, and should be simple for their level of tech. Nuclear, even at it's cleanest, produces some nasty waste. It's not too bad when done well, but fusion is just better.

One other thing of note, is that they have helicopters, but not jets. Electric power would work great on helicopters, but jets require some sort of reaction mass (ie, fuel). If you have an abundance of electricity that recharging isn't a problem, and you want to avoid the explosive potential of fuel, then it would explain why they use helicopters; more efficient use of power for transportation.

Ships can obviously fly, which puts a bit of a kink in it. But if you think in terms of costs and what it must take to power a vehicle in that manner, you could still see the helicopter as a cheap and efficient solution.

Anyway, these are mostly my own thoughts. You're pretty much left to your own thoughts and ideas, but I gave some of the points that shaped my vision.^^
Old 2010-12-31, 02:23   Link #2810
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
One other thing of note, is that they have helicopters, but not jets. Electric power would work great on helicopters, but jets require some sort of reaction mass (ie, fuel).
That's rockets. Most jets today use air as reaction mass. The fuel is used to heat that air and thus accelerate it.

That said, I have no idea if electricity - let alone whatever they use for power in Mid - would be convenient for jet propulsion. (How would that work? Ionize the air and send it out as charged particles? Or embark a different reaction mass, like water, in addition to the power source?)
Old 2010-12-31, 06:35   Link #2811
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Well, first of all, no one has ever invented plasma rifles and particle-beam weapons that weren't magical in Nanoha universe. ^^ Secondly, the term "mass weapons" has never been clearly defined in the series, all we saw was a couple of obvious examples.

Quote:
We saw the power plant of the Saint's Cradle and it looks like a giant ball of energy incased in a crystal, with power lines attached to it. I suppose something like this but much smaller is used in the rest of the magical propulsion systems. No idea how that works, it just does. It's magic.

Quote:
So you could probably technically have a hand gun or a hand-held laser gun (or a stun gun).
Case in point: Runessa's Device in SSX (called Silver Dagger, go figure) can fire "live ammo rounds", according to the fluff. But admittedly, she had to obtain a special permission for that.
Old 2010-12-31, 07:21   Link #2812
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
You also need to remember that there is purely TSAB-administered territory, administered worlds that despite being administered are still they own like Orussia (one of the oldest TSAB worlds) with it's civil war with mass-based weapons to boot and non-administered worlds that TSAB visit only in case of S-class lost logia or something similar.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
Old 2010-12-31, 13:25   Link #2813
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That's rockets. Most jets today use air as reaction mass. The fuel is used to heat that air and thus accelerate it.
Right, I got it a bit a mixed up. Was just trying to point out that jets need fuel *and* reaction mass, not they they are the same thing.

But for pure electricity, ion engines could theoretically work, although even ion engines need fuel. The Bureau would need to amp up their power output many times in order to get the needed thrust to overcome a planet's gravity (current Earth ion engines have as much thrust as a piece of paper sitting on your hand).

The biggest thing is, I could buy ships as having some sort of ion engine, until we saw the Asura hovering among the clouds in StrikerS (and then later the Wolfram and Huckbein duking it out in the skies). So they clearly have some sort of thrust or anti-gravity. Anti-gravity *could* theoretically be generated with enough power to keep a ship in the air, and if they don't have a small enough power source to provide this energy, then it would limit it to larger ships like the Asura.

But yeah, all guessing.
Old 2010-12-31, 14:01   Link #2814
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Right, I got it a bit a mixed up. Was just trying to point out that jets need fuel *and* reaction mass, not they they are the same thing.
Yeah, but reaction mass is a non-issue, since they just take it from the atmosphere. (Unless you're trying to make space ships, but that's not what we were discussing.)

Quote:
But for pure electricity, ion engines could theoretically work, although even ion engines need fuel.
You need energy, which is what we were talking about, and what we actually know nothing about. How is it stored? What are the easiest things to get out of it? Is it even stored in the vehicle? It's not like teleporting it in from the production plant even looks impossible, considering what they do in the nanohaverse.

Quote:
The Bureau would need to amp up their power output many times in order to get the needed thrust to overcome a planet's gravity (current Earth ion engines have as much thrust as a piece of paper sitting on your hand).
Current Earth also doesn't have interdimenional spaceships, so who the hell knows what their limitations are? Besides, we're not talking about trying to move a space probe for months. Entirely different problem.
Old 2011-01-01, 00:12   Link #2815
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

The airport incident showed (stated by one of the troopers IIRC) that they at least have flammable fuel, but that's about it...
Old 2011-01-05, 23:37   Link #2816
Yasanagi
A Drifter...
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Yasanagi
Does Zafira have an official military rank in the TSAB?

Thanks to 00-Raiser for hooking me up with the sig!
Old 2011-01-06, 03:53   Link #2817
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasanagi View Post
Does Zafira have an official military rank in the TSAB?
If he does, it must be on this page. I don't think so, however, since he only appears in his wolf form in StrikerS, and is considered Hayate's familiar for all we know.
Old 2011-01-08, 06:40   Link #2818
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Does Lutecia ever have any flashbacks about her mother in StrikerS?
Old 2011-01-08, 12:08   Link #2819
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
Does Lutecia ever have any flashbacks about her mother in StrikerS?
Nope. IIRC, she even says she doesn't remember her mother at all. Lutecia was born in 65, and Megane was captured in that raid in 67, so Lu would have only been two at the time. Plus, Jail made an artificial mage out of her, so screwing with her memories is entirely possible.
Old 2011-01-08, 14:44   Link #2820
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Nope. IIRC, she even says she doesn't remember her mother at all. Lutecia was born in 65, and Megane was captured in that raid in 67, so Lu would have only been two at the time.
That's what I was thinking, too.

Quote:
Plus, Jail made an artificial mage out of her, so screwing with her memories is entirely possible.
...and that is what I was trying to confirm. Do we know for sure that Lutecia is an Artificial Mage? The last time I suggested it, someone pointed out that in a flashback, Uno and Scaglietti discuss obtaining Megane's child... However, I wasn't able to confirm that either, because I haven't rewatched StrikerS since.