AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-23, 16:08   Link #1001
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdlc View Post
I've heard anime schedules a number of times but I forget them right away. I'd say they need at least a year, depending on from which phase you count.
Really? I'd have thought that the actual animation wouldn't take that much time. Like, 8 weeks or so? Sure, planning would take a while, but...
Old 2008-05-23, 16:14   Link #1002
fishy_hylian
I'm ga-vomiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Really? I'd have thought that the actual animation wouldn't take that much time. Like, 8 weeks or so? Sure, planning would take a while, but...
I'm no animator, but I'd have thought 8 weeks is a bit... short for animating a whole series? Especially at the standard KyoAni animate at.

I could be wrong, but considering movies can take years to animate (for an hour and a half) I'd imagine a series like this would take at least a year?
Old 2008-05-23, 16:20   Link #1003
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy_hylian View Post
I'm no animator, but I'd have thought 8 weeks is a bit... short for animating a whole series? Especially at the standard KyoAni animate at.

I could be wrong, but considering movies can take years to animate (for an hour and a half) I'd imagine a series like this would take at least a year?
Ah, screw it, I don't know anything.

...Yeah, we're never seeing it.
Old 2008-05-23, 16:50   Link #1004
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So what happens first? The ending of the world, or S2 of Haruhi?

Aren't they the same thing?

Do we go by the Aztec time pieces that predect a full rollover near the end of 2012?
Old 2008-05-23, 17:40   Link #1005
fishy_hylian
I'm ga-vomiting

Quote:
Ah, screw it, I don't know anything.

...Yeah, we're never seeing it.
*consoles*

One day... *sigh*
One day...
Old 2008-05-23, 19:00   Link #1006
brocko

I personally think that KyoAni may just be taking a little break atm. After all they did just animate 3, two-cour-lengthed series back to back with only about two weeks or so in between.

Kanon : October 5, 2006 - March 15, 2007
Lucky Star : April 8, 2007 - September 16, 2007
Clannad : October 4, 2007 - March 27, 2008

July 7th is still my best bet on when S2 will air. One of the story ties in with that date and they could very well open the season with it if they wanted to, given their past traditions of matching up dates to viral marketing and episode content.
And plus airing on July 7th would've gave them exactly one year from when they first mentioned anything about a Haruhi 2 and about half a year since they mentioned that production was in progress. Assuming that it'll only be a 12-14 episode season much like the first, that'll leave their schedule open from mid-October onward for the rumoured fall season of Clannad After Story and whatever else they decide to animate afterwards.

Wells that's my take on things, but then again in the end it's all pretty much just a blind guess, that's as good as any other

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2008-05-23, 20:57   Link #1007
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdlc View Post
The In-betweeners of Kyoto Animation were in the ep of Gintama two weeks ago. Which is to say, they had free time as of March or April. It wouldn't happen if S2 starts in summer.
That is so a mis-statement. They could very well be doing tweening for other shows while they have their own show in production, while other companies are doing the tweening for their shows. It's just the way scheduling and contracts work. It definitely doesn't prove anything regarding what is or isn't happening this summer.

Not to mention the whole thing about one of the staffers being an assistant animation director in another production being a barrier is also a pretty false conclusion. He can certainly be working on more than one show at a time, especially given that one of the works is an OVA that basically operates on their schedule. They may have a history of only having one show on the air at any given time, but that doesn't mean that they've ever actually only been working on just one show.

All in all, it's like anything for more negativity. Given the recent increased flow of information (including full staff information), I'm expecting a July start to be announced within a week or two. If it really weren't coming for quite some time still, they wouldn't want to draw people's attention to it.
Old 2008-05-24, 14:34   Link #1008
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
So what happens first? The ending of the world, or S2 of Haruhi?

Aren't they the same thing?

Do we go by the Aztec time pieces that predect a full rollover near the end of 2012?
Mayan. The Maya are the ones who made the calendar that ends in 2012.

Now that I think about it, if Tanigawa is aware of that, then it might lend some support to the idea that series started in 2010. 2010-11 for the first year, and then Suzumiya ends the world when Mikuru has to leave high school in 2012.

Hopefully we'll see season 2 before that happens.
Old 2008-05-24, 15:41   Link #1009
NaweG
Just some guy

I've heard that the hold up is a special cross-promotion between Haruhi 2 and Duke Nukem Forever...
Old 2008-05-24, 15:47   Link #1010
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
I've heard that the hold up is a special cross-promotion between Haruhi 2 and Duke Nukem Forever...
Hahahaha. Ha.
Old 2008-05-24, 17:31   Link #1011
BookOfMages
PALM SIZED TIGER!?

A pretty not really focused on when it comes out thought, but...

Anyone, but me, ever had the thought that...the Book that the people the creators might make Alternative Yuki read might be "Endymion" and "The Rise of Endymion" by Dan Simmons?

Edit: Since it's part of the Hyperion Cantos continuation and such.

Last edited by BookOfMages; 2008-05-24 at 17:51.
Old 2008-05-25, 00:31   Link #1012
BobaLunatic

Kind of off-topic: I picked up Hyperion, and I must say, it was pretty damn good. The kind of book I'd never pick up without recommendation, if only for the cover. Yeah, I judge books by their covers. I've heard people say that the book has aliens, time travelers, and espers to some extent. I get the alien/Yuki parallel and time travelling, but who the hell is the esper? Is that a Fall of Hyperion thing?

Oh yeah, and I like that Endymion idea. Sounds like something they would do.

On-topic: I'm on the boat of people saying that the season is probably coming sometime this year, if only for all of the magazine promotion. They wouldn't advertise a series coming out a full year later, right?? 'Cause that would just be bad advertisement... Though I still fear.

That idea that 2012 will be the novel's ending is a neat idea. I like. I do not, however, like the idea of the anime and manga coinciding in end date. I highly doubt they would do that as there is little benefit, but this season 2 business is teaching me how to be pessimistic liek woah.
Old 2008-05-25, 00:47   Link #1013
BookOfMages
PALM SIZED TIGER!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobaLunatic View Post
Kind of off-topic: I picked up Hyperion, and I must say, it was pretty damn good. The kind of book I'd never pick up without recommendation, if only for the cover. Yeah, I judge books by their covers. I've heard people say that the book has aliens, time travelers, and espers to some extent. I get the alien/Yuki parallel and time travelling, but who the hell is the esper? Is that a Fall of Hyperion thing?

Oh yeah, and I like that Endymion idea. Sounds like something they would do.

Oh crap same here. Actually I started reading like 20 pages of it before the school term ended and I started watching Haruhi except ever since then I could not locate it the next year, the Library, the classroom, a Science Fiction Book store, etc. till today. [-Insert Emoness here-] But yeah, very good Book. I'm like seriously going to read every.single.novel that Yuki reads from now on, since they're actually good.

But going back on topic.

If 2012 does end up being the Novel's ending date then there better be a lot more volumes. Also I don't think its possible to have Haruhi end that year, unless you're going for a season 5 or something.
Old 2008-05-25, 01:25   Link #1014
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookOfMages View Post
If 2012 does end up being the Novel's ending date then there better be a lot more volumes. Also I don't think its possible to have Haruhi end that year, unless you're going for a season 5 or something.
Have you not been paying attention to how they've been dealing with Season 2?

All they need to do is drag out the wait one more year, and then have a similar waiting period for Season 3, and presto: 2012!

Please, nobody mention their other option for making that happen. Please. You might make them do it.
Old 2008-05-25, 01:54   Link #1015
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
. . . love how all the in-series support so far for the whole "The Series takes place in 2010" thing occurs in a medium that pretty much denies it outright...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2008-05-25, 02:02   Link #1016
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
. . . love how all the in-series support so far for the whole "The Series takes place in 2010" thing occurs in a medium that pretty much denies it outright...
?

There's a line in Vol. 4 that identifies that July 7th as "a date that might seem lucky to some people".

07/07/07.

That, and Tanigawa goes out of his way to draw no attention to brand names or anything.
Old 2008-05-25, 02:22   Link #1017
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
?

There's a line in Vol. 4 that identifies that July 7th as "a date that might seem lucky to some people".

07/07/07.

That, and Tanigawa goes out of his way to draw no attention to brand names or anything.
It's right there in Vol. 1's prologue.

(from the Baka-Tsuki translation)
Quote:
After junior high, I completely grew out of that fantasy world and became utterly grounded in reality. Nothing happened in 1999, even though I kept hoping, just a bit, that something would; mankind hadn't returned to the moon or gone beyond it. I suppose, from the way things are looking, that I'll be long dead before you can book a round trip from Earth to Alpha Centauri.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2008-05-25, 02:26   Link #1018
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
It's right there in Vol. 1's prologue.

(from the Baka-Tsuki translation)
Doesn't mean that's when it takes place. They don't go to school on Saturdays, so that means it takes place in 2003 at the earliest.

But I've always disliked the translation of that line anyway, and it's the ONLY year ever directly mentioned in the series.

Keep in mind that Vol. 1 was originally supposed to a standalone story.
Old 2008-05-25, 03:03   Link #1019
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Okay, I suppose I'll go with Volume 4 then. Kyon and Taniguchi were rather clearly talking to each other on the 17th of December, which will be a Friday in 2010(go ahead and check if you don't believe me). While I suppose you could argue the whole "alternate universe" thing(which I'm fairly certain you did the last time we had this conversation), I'll still have to point out that Kyon would realize that the 18th should be a Saturday.
Old 2008-05-25, 03:55   Link #1020
brocko

I think someone matched up some golden week date blurted out in the anime or something and managed to work out the time frame for the series... well... for the anime at least I'll see if i can find or dig it up.

EDIT: hahaha, that was fast! 3rd result for a 'haruhi golden week' google search
http://wiki.sos-dan.com/wiki/The_Mel...aruhi_Suzumiya
Quote:
There are two date-related lines in episode 2; "In the process, we reached the first day after Golden Week." and "So that makes today Wednesday." Considering "the first day after Golden Week" is May 6th that is Wednesday, the year of the story is estimated as 2009, thus "Three years before" is 2006. The anime The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya became a big boom in 2006, and we actually saw the "information flare" caused by Haruhi Suzumiya on the net (like this page or Youtube, for example).

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen