AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-02-01, 12:03   Link #121
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
i cant understand why makoto from SD is #1 worst character, he can be #1 despitable character anyday, but not the worst, they did a great job at creating such a character, his situation is quite unique, i m not fluent enought in english to advocate for him but if you concider his situation as a teenager his behavior is understandable (and i m sure most of us have been culprit of the same deeds). i think it s more because the serie totally broke free of the typical harem anime rules where everything is platonic and perfect that people hated SD / makoto. Imo his character was done well and the studio did a good job at creating a character that cant leave you indifferent unlike most harem anime where the only interresting part are the background story of each girl. makoto isnt a failure as a character unlike so failure like shinn from GSD.

Clannad winning best visual quality is surprising too me when some CG are impressive the regular graphic quality is average especially when you compare it to the high amount of detail / quality of serei moribito, i agree that serei' charadesign can feel strance it s more like movie type of design so /shrug.

anyway the poll gave me some new suggestion on what to watch
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 12:45   Link #122
Ultenth

Yeah, I kinda liked how SD basically was like an anti-harem show. It showed what might really happen if a regular teenage boy were to find himself in that situation (probably try to sleep with all of them) and a possible end result of what might really happen if he acted with such disregard for others feelings. Harems are fun to watch, but everyone knows that for the most part it would be a nightmare in real life.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 14:02   Link #123
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Well if that is anti harem then I am sold. Realism FTW! and yes...I hope people don't think that stuff like good harems where we have girls falling head over heels for a spineless guy happens in real life. What SD is, is an accurate depiction of what could happen though if a guy were to fall deep enough. I think the word "worse" is rather misused for him. If anything he is the best example of how to be a jerk which means he isn't the worse in anything. That should probably be changed to the "most hated character" instead

As well as add a new caragory. SD (for me) isn't the worse series but rather the best series to desplay how dodgy romances can burn

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 19:08   Link #124
kucigaromeo
Hell Kitty
*Fansubber

Satisfying result for me, TTGL only won 1 genre category.
Higurashi in best story and Rena-chan in best female only lost by small margin.
Sola won best music along with Nodame a music themed anime.

For next year slice of life category would be nice, this season we have Aria the Origination, Minami-ke Okawari and Noramimi. There will be more later on like Hidamari Sketch x365.

my anidb list: http://anidb.net/u224323
Hidamari Sketch, Arts of Innocence
kucigaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 23:11   Link #125
FateAnomaly

I guess the term "worst" is too ambiguous. Choose a better term next year.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 15:03   Link #126
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Gonna bring this thread back one more time because I want to post a link to Anime-Reactor's choice awards. It's not all that dissimilar to the results of these awards other than they had a category for Best Overall anime. See if you can guess which one won. Hint: It shouldn't be too hard. Also there were a few more categories including the Slice of Life category everyone wanted here. Though I'm not to sure people will be too psyched when they see what ended up winning it over there.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 15:08   Link #127
Kyrie

Send a message via AIM to Kyrie Send a message via MSN to Kyrie
Gurren Lagann sure was in alot of those categories @_@

and I'm glad Makoto won worst character. No one deserves it more :3

Last edited by Kyrie; 2008-02-23 at 15:23.
Kyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 20:01   Link #128
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Gonna bring this thread back one more time because I want to post a link to Anime-Reactor's choice awards.
While a lot of the awards seemed rather predictable, I was a bit surprised to see Ladd Russo of Baccano! win for best villain considering what a minority taste that show has been until recently.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 20:01   Link #129
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Gonna bring this thread back one more time because I want to post a link to Anime-Reactor's choice awards. It's not all that dissimilar to the results of these awards other than they had a category for Best Overall anime. See if you can guess which one won. Hint: It shouldn't be too hard. Also there were a few more categories including the Slice of Life category everyone wanted here. Though I'm not to sure people will be too psyched when they see what ended up winning it over there.
Heh, that's pretty cool that Ladd Russo of Baccano! actually received quite a bit of recognition there.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 20:26   Link #130
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
While a lot of the awards seemed rather predictable, I was a bit surprised to see Ladd Russo of Baccano! win for best villain considering what a minority taste that show has been until recently.
The appearance of Seirei no Moribito surprised me more, since it, too was largely a minority taste, though it was recognised in the categories it deserved. The lack of Code Geass is apparent, too, since even here, it won some awards; it's an overrated series, but one that was actually good, unlike the apparent Naruto appearance, though one that can't measure to Haruhi Suzumiya (Though it had received too much recognition) in terms of quality.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 21:03   Link #131
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
The appearance of Seirei no Moribito surprised me more, since it, too was largely a minority taste, though it was recognised in the categories it deserved. The lack of Code Geass is apparent, too, since even here, it won some awards; it's an overrated series, but one that was actually good, unlike the apparent Naruto appearance, though one that can't measure to Haruhi Suzumiya (Though it had received too much recognition) in terms of quality.
Seirei no Moribito was actually pretty popular when it was aired, but then after it stopped airing, people didn't talk about it much anymore, unlike School Days. It's a great series with great animation and plot, but nothing really "stood out" or have that epic feeling; like Cardcaptor Sakura, it's just purely enjoyable.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 21:26   Link #132
Snait3
Antagonist

Death Note (5 awards), Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann (3 awards), Seirei no Moribito (2 awards), nice.

No awards for Code Geass and Baccano! :/... but well, is just a community popularity contest...
Snait3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 21:54   Link #133
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92
I essentially agree with you, though even then one must remember that by "quality" it still ultimately means what is our opinion. However, the reason Code Geass, despite its many flaws, appears so popular is, to me at least, the sheer coolness factor of it. Every character is beautiful, especially the fabulously handsome protagonist; everything is done in a dramatic, larger-than-life manner -- yet, unlike traditional super robot shows, it always keep one foot on reality so there's actually never an issue of dramatic overload; and there's nothing particularly "otaku" about it even though it is highly popular with that crowd. So even though I could rewatch the show right now and point out the plotholes, the underdeveloped side plots, the unresolved mysteries, etc., I'll still say that it's totally awesome.

Moreover, the advertising campaign waged by Sunrise is both highly frustrating and intriguing at the same time. All those hints, those big advertising posters of the (conveniently good-looking) characters, those little interviews, drama CD's, etc. that the Code Geass fanatics pursue relentlessly, keeps the buzz going. I gave up and decided to wait for the actual show to come out (I'm one of those fans who hold the philosophy of "nothing outside the show actually counts for much" -- someone who couldn't care less about those extras and interviews and those source material issues and whatnot), but others don't necessarily do so.

Just take a look at the show's subforum over here. There's a constant level of activity and discussion going on despite the show having ended quite some time ago and the second season months away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Seirei no Moribito was actually pretty popular when it was aired, but then after it stopped airing, people didn't talk about it much anymore, unlike School Days. It's a great series with great animation and plot, but nothing really "stood out" or have that epic feeling; like Cardcaptor Sakura, it's just purely enjoyable.
True. If anyone ever asks me for an example of a good anime, in particularly an excellently produced anime, Seirei no Moribito will be my first answer. It has excellent animation, excellent pacing, excellent action, good plot, good characters and character developments, and most importantly all those elements form a cohesive whole. But, somehow, it's not something that I (subconsciously) places as the Best Thing Ever from any specific genre. It's just good, enjoyable, great even, but there's not that much to talk about it after all.

I suppose it lacks the "hype" factor, and controversial shows like School Days (which, by the way, I have no interest in ever watching) provoke more reactions and later references from fans and detractors by their very nature.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 22:11   Link #134
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

The ARC awards are always interesting. I tend to find that the Jury makes reasonable choices more times than not. I personally think a jury for the Animesuki awards mightn't be a bad idea.

Unlike here, they certainly got it right with "Best Animation". That 5cm Per Second wasn't even nominated here was the biggest failing of the ASuki awards.

Nana really cleaned up, which is deserved from what I've heard (I haven't seen it myself, but it is very high on my "to-see" list given what I've heard about it). The difference between them and us is that we're not really geared to give lesser known titles like Nana recognition, even if they may be more deserving. On the other hand, Lucky Star winning Best Slice of Life over ARIA The Natural and Toki wa Kakeru Shoujo is what I'd consider a travesty. That's all well and good for the community award, but I would have thought that the jury would know better.

Other than that, I can't see all too many reasons to RAAGE. Baccano! got quite a few nods (8 nominations in all), while it got rather snubbed here, so I'd say ARC got it right on that front. Hell, even Red Garden picked up a nomination. I'd like to know exactly how they do it, but they seem to be better geared for recognizing truly good anime than we are.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 22:28   Link #135
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Yeah "quality" has pretty much decayed to the point of being a buzz word that gets flung around when people are in need of a blanket term for why they like something without having to go too in depth. Depending on how it's used it hovers somewhere between opinion and borderline meaninglessness. What does "quality" really mean to us these days? I wonder.....
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 22:49   Link #136
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Yeah "quality" has pretty much decayed to the point of being a buzz word that gets flung around when people are in need of a blanket term for why they like something without having to go too in depth. Depending on how it's used it hovers somewhere between opinion and borderline meaninglessness. What does "quality" really mean to us these days? I wonder.....
I think you should start a thread about that interesting subject.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 23:50   Link #137
gaguri

I find at least something to disagree on any big list of 'bests' like this one. There are some choices that I disagree, such as Toki winning the best jury award, but it's not like I don't think it didn't deserve to be there. Few choices however I thought was just wrong on jury's part (nvm what the community thought).

-Shigurui being completely ignored. Not even a single nomination.
-Seirei winning the best story and character awards, since imo those two aspects weren't as good as its aesthetics.
-Lucky Star winning slife-of-life.
-Death Note beating Mononoke and Baccano! in the same category.

But like I always, I just tell myself that I have better taste and move on :insert some gay smiley

Tags
choice awards