AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-10-02, 15:08   Link #81
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
So much rage....who cares if some people compare it to Madoka? Shows get compared to popular series with some basic similarities all the darn time. Just accept it and move on to actually talking about the content of the first episode....But if it makes people feel better I'll just compare the show to Kaze no Stigma instead . Super powers gained from a mysterious website? Good enough to start with .

The whole thing is fishy as heck. Why exactly would this mysterious group start dishing out superpowers anyways? What are they actually getting out of this? If things start going a murderous route, even if they don't instigate it...they are encouraging it. If part of your terms of service for giving out powers is not murdering other people then you are fine with it.

Considering it is called the Magical Girl Raising Project....what are they raising them for? I think the whole pact with a devil theory has some validity to it. These people are given powers without much information attached to it. They are running around doing things and gaining points from that. Possibly getting more powerful as time goes along and they continue using those powers. Could be when they've reached a certain point the site...ends them and uses that power for another purpose. It would explain why they have so many magical girls being made all over the place when there hasn't been a clear threat or reason for them to exist. And would also explain why they don't care if a killing spree starts. That will just power up the survivors and get them to the point where the site could "retire them" from being magical girls.
Old 2016-10-02, 15:48   Link #82
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
These are two very common themes in fiction. I've seen them explored in multiple mediums and genres, in multiple stories. And numerous anime shows have explored them. If anything, these themes are even more commonly explored in mecha anime (Valvrave the Liberator and Gundam Wing both come very quickly to mind).
I won't deny it.

Quote:
Are mahou shoujo stories now forever barred from exploring these themes just because of what Madoka Magica did over 5 years ago? Even if you explore them in a new magical girl show that's implementation is 90% or more different from Madoka Magica?
Who said anything about barring anything? I've watched and enjoyed plenty of animes that were a lot closer to being copies of each other than this and Madoka. But if one were to ask if I'll like Mahoiku, to make a prediction based on anime I've already watched, then for what I think are obvious reasons I'll make that prediction based on Madoka Magica. And the answer is "maybe not". And, considering what I didn't unreservedly enjoyed in Madoka, the differences in settings aren't going to change anything. It has my interest, but I'm bracing for... suffering? Or what, can you honestly say the two have no similarities whatsoever? Or that I should liken Mahoiku to some other, even more similar anime?

And yes, I'm judging magical girls anime differently from Mecha animes. Mecha can go a lot darker than magical girls before I feel the need to bail. That's just how it is, a personal preference.

And again, for the record, since Zefyris apparently didn't catch it the first time I went right out and said it explicitly, I'm not accusing Mahoiku of plagiarism, of being a "ripoff".
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-02, 16:02   Link #83
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Spoiler for Episode 1:
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-02, 16:09   Link #84
MCAL

I like Souta already, so I can already imagine he's gonnna be a goner soon.

And Fav is basically Monokuma.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-02, 16:21   Link #85
Zefyris
図書館狼

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I won't deny it.

Who said anything about barring anything? I've watched and enjoyed plenty of animes that were a lot closer to being copies of each other than this and Madoka. But if one were to ask if I'll like Mahoiku, to make a prediction based on anime I've already watched, then for what I think are obvious reasons I'll make that prediction based on Madoka Magica. And the answer is "maybe not". And, considering what I didn't unreservedly enjoyed in Madoka, the differences in settings aren't going to change anything. It has my interest, but I'm bracing for... suffering? Or what, can you honestly say the two have no similarities whatsoever? Or that I should liken Mahoiku to some other, even more similar anime?

And yes, I'm judging magical girls anime differently from Mecha animes. Mecha can go a lot darker than magical girls before I feel the need to bail. That's just how it is, a personal preference.

And again, for the record, since Zefyris apparently didn't catch it the first time I went right out and said it explicitly, I'm not accusing Mahoiku of plagiarism, of being a "ripoff".
yes but i'm complaining explicitely about peoples saying that it's a rip off, heavily inspired, knock off, and heavily resemble, or whatever. Not peoples who just mention it because it's also a mahou shoujo with dark tone that they saw, like peoples talking about another sport anime in a sport anime thread.
That's what I'm saying. you answered to me when I was clearl ytalking about that kind of allusion that I find offending.

Half of the official reviews from ANN for this shows are from pr- peoples who think it's cool to accuse it of copying and look down on it for that. And this isn't just for mahoiku, this has been going on for a while. And this isn't just starting today for mahoiku, this bullshit was already there before the start of the show.
This is annoying. just as much as peoples who link every show/story with a video game to SAO and talk about plagiarism/whatever like SAO invented the concept and nothing else can be done on that subject without copying SAO.
Old 2016-10-02, 17:44   Link #86
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
So much rage....who cares if some people compare it to Madoka? Shows get compared to popular series with some basic similarities all the darn time. Just accept it and move on to actually talking about the content of the first episode....But if it makes people feel better I'll just compare the show to Kaze no Stigma instead . Super powers gained from a mysterious website? Good enough to start with .

The whole thing is fishy as heck. Why exactly would this mysterious group start dishing out superpowers anyways? What are they actually getting out of this? If things start going a murderous route, even if they don't instigate it...they are encouraging it. If part of your terms of service for giving out powers is not murdering other people then you are fine with it.

Considering it is called the Magical Girl Raising Project....what are they raising them for? I think the whole pact with a devil theory has some validity to it. These people are given powers without much information attached to it. They are running around doing things and gaining points from that. Possibly getting more powerful as time goes along and they continue using those powers. Could be when they've reached a certain point the site...ends them and uses that power for another purpose. It would explain why they have so many magical girls being made all over the place when there hasn't been a clear threat or reason for them to exist. And would also explain why they don't care if a killing spree starts. That will just power up the survivors and get them to the point where the site could "retire them" from being magical girls.
Yeah, there's definitely reason to compare them, even if it doesn't go the exact same route. I mean, when the mascot said "don't you want to be a magical girl?" it sounded EXACTLY like Incubator. But then again as some have said this is hardly the first series like this. I remember it all the way back to My HiME. And that one ended much different from Madoka Magica.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-02, 17:50   Link #87
Pen3

"a wild outlaw who acts like a western gunman"... Are they referring to the American police?
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-02, 17:55   Link #88
Zefyris
図書館狼

Just because a mascot looks like a child between monokuma and Kyuubey doesn't mean it's actually evil you know ^^".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Yeah, there's definitely reason to compare them, even if it doesn't go the exact same route. I mean, when the mascot said "don't you want to be a magical girl?" it sounded EXACTLY like Incubator. But then again as some have said this is hardly the first series like this. I remember it all the way back to My HiME. And that one ended much different from Madoka Magica.
MyHime is a far far better comparison with mahoiku's first arc (just the first arc though).
Old 2016-10-02, 21:39   Link #89
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Precure did it before, does it means it's similar too?
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-02, 21:51   Link #90
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Are mahou shoujo stories now forever barred from exploring these themes just because of what Madoka Magica did over 5 years ago? Even if you explore them in a new magical girl show that's implementation is 90% or more different from Madoka Magica?
Maybe the creators should go make lighter shows instead of trying to associate a genre with its biggest-earning most recent representative. Now that I've mentioned it, I wonder if Matoi is gonna go the lighter route or will it be another YuYuYu. (I won't be commenting on Izetta because the wartime setting means that things can get gloomy at once or at least bittersweet like Sora no Woto.)
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-02, 23:42   Link #91
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Precure earns more per season though.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-02, 23:52   Link #92
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

That's what established, multi-series franchises often receive. Comparing Precure to a late-night show like Ikusei is obviously unfair, so I chose Madoka Magica as the point of comparison.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 00:47   Link #93
rladls2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
"a wild outlaw who acts like a western gunman"... Are they referring to the American police?
I thought it was about cowboys and cowgirls?

This series on my watch list.
A boy who still loves to watch magical girl shows that is really common.
It is no way to be rare, at least to me.

But a smartphone app that in can really gives you powers.
Too bad this isn't Pokémon Go.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 03:13   Link #94
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I get comparing it to Madoka in the sense of "cynical magical girl show". And if you're not into "cynical magical girl show" then you probably would not like it.

It's the accusations of it being a Madoka clone that I really do not understand since it's clearly trying for a different angle.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 05:57   Link #95
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

may i ask what series started the trend of a boy that genderswap turns into a magical girl? it surely isn't Kampfer or Kore Wa Zombie Desu-ka? as Ayumu is still a guy in a drag & there's that other series where the girl turns into a guy in a drag, mahou shoujo has become complicated now.
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 07:12   Link #96
Sagitta Luminis
Yousoro~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
@Nachtwandler
Have bad experiences with darker-toned mahou shoujo shows?
Madoka is pretty much the only one I've watched that was good. And I guess Nanoha kinda counts, too.
Old 2016-10-03, 07:14   Link #97
Zefyris
図書館狼

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Maybe the creators should go make lighter shows instead of trying to associate a genre with its biggest-earning most recent representative. Now that I've mentioned it, I wonder if Matoi is gonna go the lighter route or will it be another YuYuYu. (I won't be commenting on Izetta because the wartime setting means that things can get gloomy at once or at least bittersweet like Sora no Woto.)
Most mahou shoujo show made aren't going with "dark" scenario.... This cannot even be called popular right now :x
Old 2016-10-03, 09:59   Link #98
Spica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
will it be another YuYuYu.
Despite looking like sunshine and rainbows, YuYuYu's ending is not really a happy ending, with all the suspicious things that keeps coming up, not to mention it is only one of the chapter in Yuusha de aru series.

Never mind that, my impression for this series base on what I heard and this episode was Darwin's Game and Kamen rider Ryuki.
Spica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 10:54   Link #99
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Sword 2 View Post
may i ask what series started the trend of a boy that genderswap turns into a magical girl? it surely isn't Kampfer or Kore Wa Zombie Desu-ka? as Ayumu is still a guy in a drag & there's that other series where the girl turns into a guy in a drag, mahou shoujo has become complicated now.
Oto x Maho, Kampfer and Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu! are probably the more direct ones. Though the genre appears in various forms though out. I think maybe sailor moon was the first one to do it (only in the anime version).
Old 2016-10-03, 11:42   Link #100
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Precure did it before, does it means it's similar too?
Precure had the girls pitted against each other?
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battle royale, magical girl, mahou shoujo, tragedy