AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2021-08-29, 17:14   Link #21
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

BD release and subs are available.

Arcane is the way
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-30, 12:01   Link #22
EroKing
Version Nightmare

Just watched Josee to Tora to Sakana-tachi and I thought it was pretty good. The MCs had a good chemistry, I like how Japan is adapting with the times when it comes to youth interactions. Quite different compared to a few years back. Could be just the script and the direction but the conversations flowed so well.

The love between Josee and Tsuneo was so innocent that you couldnít help but root for them from the start. They were also quite relatable in many ways, such as their pain, frustrations, loneliness and helplessness preventing them to move forward.

Hayato was the perfect bro. Mai was also a good character, no over the top jealousy; much like the ending, there was hardly any drama. I would give it a score of 8.5/10, or even a 9/10 for the art and animation. Itís nice to have movies like these once in a while.
Old 2021-08-31, 02:32   Link #23
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
Mai was also a good character, no over the top jealousy; much like the ending, there was hardly any drama.
Were we watching the same movie...or did those certain 15 minutes just fly right by you?

Arcane is the way
Old 2021-08-31, 05:40   Link #24
EroKing
Version Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Were we watching the same movie...or did those certain 15 minutes just fly right by you?
The comment is only for Mai and the ending, which by anime standards was pretty tame and normal, to me. I've well over finished 2200 anime over the past 2 decades and it isn't that hard for me to find something entertaining. I don't give any fucks about the accident part because while a bit cheesy, it does highlight how easy it is for human behaviour to change after something unfortunate. One can argue things could have been done differently but that's just imaginary masturbation on part of people who think they can sell a story better than the one already done.

Last edited by EroKing; 2021-08-31 at 05:52.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-31, 08:06   Link #25
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

You've missed the point...you're saying there was no drama? I find that hard to believe because local friends of mine who generally like their melodrama all said they had a bigger issue with that 15 minute stretch than me. It is so out of place.

It's not the fact it was dramatic - yes, being crushed by what happened is to be expected given everything leading up to it. But for Mai to go from mere background noise to being activated as an obstacle to make Josee more sympathetic was insulting. For Mai be so utterly selfish and to lie her face off during that stretch and not even factor in how Tsuneo felt. It's the way it was dramatic. It wasn't necessary - it was off-putting.

And yes, I will take considerable offense to it. I've had mates of mines have their girlfriends do this crap behind their back over far less then she'd say to them 'it was for your own good.' I've seen men do that to women without a second thought. It's called manipulation. And I won't tolerate it. Because that does tie in with over-the-top jealousy.

As I said before - that 15 minute stretch is my major issue with the film. I'm fine with the rest of it and will probably watch it again at some point. Hell, I had to convince a lot of people online within my country to give it a go because the trailer made them think it would be too sad. When I told them it was more in the vein of Garden of Words than a sob story, people appreciated that and wanted to see it. I enjoyed seeing an animated version of the 2003 work that was well ahead of its time in tolerance and how it treated Josee. I took heart from seeing both leads grapple with a major stumbling block and becoming better people for it (despite that 15 minute stretch). That doesn't gloss over the fact there were issues.

Arcane is the way

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2021-08-31 at 08:30.
Old 2021-08-31, 09:00   Link #26
EroKing
Version Nightmare

I said "there was hardly any drama", as in some but didn't overstayed for too long. There's a big difference. It wasn't too overdone imo.

Anyways, given the movie has a 8.58 rating on MAL out of 63k+ people who watched and enjoyed it shows hardly anyone had any issues with it.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-16, 17:05   Link #27
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I watched it last week. It was a nice romance movie with two likable leads, though Josee started off as a real brat. The main flaw for me isn't the drama, it was fine. It's that we never get the grandmother's side of things: why did she want Josee to stay locked up in her house and isolated from the outside world? It's never explained.
Old 2022-05-16, 17:47   Link #28
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

It is never confirmed but I assume she thinks Josee will never be capable of being independent and doesn't want harm to come to her. In short, being incredibly overprotective. Not exactly the best setup.

Arcane is the way