AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-08, 13:38   Link #801
jayfoxpox

I hope they all continue this SOS Brigade when they are like 30 haha
Old 2007-12-08, 21:08   Link #802
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfoxpox View Post
I hope they all continue this SOS Brigade when they are like 30 haha
Haruhi will form a mob family.
Old 2007-12-08, 21:14   Link #803
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
My consideration that the series will approach resolution with Mikuru's graduation is based on an idea of the SOS Brigade being a tool and context for Haruhi to engage with other people socially. If you consider thematically what Haruhi's all about (the boring world made interesting through doing things with friends), the SOS Brigade and more specifically Kyon were what allowed Haruhi to revert back to a cheerful personality that found the world interesting. You could also say that Haruhi is doing the same for Kyon.

But anyway, we saw from Volume 8 of the novels that Haruhi was starting to interact normally with other people again. The fact that Haruhi is able to make friends and be happy outside the SOS Brigade shows that Haruhi is starting to need it less. I think the story of the series is about Haruhi and Kyon maturing into people who can be faced with a cold and realistic world and still smile, and the way to show that they have finally become those people is by showing that they don't need the SOS Brigade anymore.

But still the friendships formed in it are real, so I don't think Haruhi and Kyon would disband it for no reason; even if you don't need it, a good thing is still a good thing. Therefore, I think that Mikuru's graduation would be a good enough reason for the SOS Brigade to break up and for everybody to continue on, not as an organization, but as simply friends (bringing resolution to the central issue of the story and therefore marking its end).
You're way too positive about things. Haruhi is just being trained to become a creature whose spiritual well-being is becoming increasingly linked to a few individuals.

Therefore, Kyon will die of a terminal form of cancer and Haruhi, quite PO'd that fate decided to coax them together only to rip him away at the prime of her life, will do her damnedest to defy the fates. Haruhi will become antisocial again and driven to alter the world in her own image, End of Evangelion style. Paramilitary assaults will be launched by world powers, people will melt into puddles of salty fluids and a giant head of Yuki will through a bank of clouds in a crimson sky and everything. It will be some Freudian shit, man.
Old 2007-12-08, 21:19   Link #804
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Reality View Post
You're way too positive about things. Haruhi is just being trained to become a creature whose spiritual well-being is becoming increasingly linked to a few individuals.

Therefore, Kyon will die of a terminal form of cancer and Haruhi, quite PO'd that fate decided to coax them together only to rip him away at the prime of her life, will do her damnedest to defy the fates. Haruhi will become antisocial again and driven to alter the world in her own image, End of Evangelion style. Paramilitary assaults will be launched by world powers, people will melt into puddles of salty fluids and a giant head of Yuki will through a bank of clouds in a crimson sky and everything. It will be some Freudian shit, man.
Well, given all the references to Eva and the similar effect on the nature of anime in general...

No, that still won't happen.

Would be cool, though.
Old 2007-12-09, 06:42   Link #805
Sol Falling

Quote:

hahaha wow, that would be near-hallucinogenic if Tanigawa pulled that off in novel form.
Old 2007-12-10, 22:44   Link #806
dpryciak

Send a message via MSN to dpryciak Send a message via Yahoo to dpryciak
Apologies if, in the hundreds of posts already here, I repeat a question.

What IS the relationship between Kyon and Haruhi? He tries to define it in the first book....but more, what is Kyon to Haruhi??? Something more than a catalyst, for certain.

And, do we ever get to know Kyon's name, or will that be released in the last book? hahaha
Old 2007-12-11, 00:20   Link #807
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpryciak View Post
Apologies if, in the hundreds of posts already here, I repeat a question.

What IS the relationship between Kyon and Haruhi? He tries to define it in the first book....but more, what is Kyon to Haruhi??? Something more than a catalyst, for certain.

And, do we ever get to know Kyon's name, or will that be released in the last book? hahaha
They're ordained by destiny to be lovers. Or by coincidence. The point is that they're lovers. It's an inevitability. The sex and titillation will live on in the minds of viewers who will write bad fan-fic. (I don't put it past you mongrels.)

Secondly, somebody mentioned that Nagaru himself hasn't decided on Kyon's name. You can step forward to claim credit, if you like.
Old 2007-12-11, 01:12   Link #808
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
They're ordained by destiny to be lovers. Or by coincidence. The point is that they're lovers. It's an inevitability. The sex and titillation will live on in the minds of viewers who will write bad fan-fic. (I don't put it past you mongrels.)

Secondly, somebody mentioned that Nagaru himself hasn't decided on Kyon's name. You can step forward to claim credit, if you like.
The irony of the whole thing is that, on the surface, he really doesn't like her that much. Nor does he really seem to want to realize that she has feelings for him.

He's already chained to her forever, though. Not like she's going to let go.

As for the name thing, it was back early this year he said that, I think. I heard that he's decided on a name since, and that he will reveal it eventually. Not like last-minute, but eventually.
Old 2007-12-12, 13:30   Link #809
dpryciak

Quote:

Kyou Nobuyuki!!!

Don't know where that one came from...Hmm.... Truth, happiness, village...(meanings)
Old 2007-12-12, 16:37   Link #810
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Kyou Nobuyuki!!!

Don't know where that one came from...Hmm.... Truth, happiness, village...(meanings)
I'm more leaning towards some variant on "Hikoboshi" myself.
Old 2007-12-12, 18:11   Link #811
jayfoxpox

Maybe his real name is John Smith haha
Old 2007-12-14, 22:39   Link #812
dpryciak

Japanese have so much cooler names that us, I think, sometimes...

Hikoboshi...that has a nice ring to it!! But where would you extract Kyon from??? (thinking of Fruits Basket, Kyo is called Kyon Kyon at times....and he's Kyo Sohma, er, Sohma Kyo. Hmmm)
Old 2007-12-15, 00:41   Link #813
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:

Hikoboshi...that has a nice ring to it!! But where would you extract Kyon from??? (thinking of Fruits Basket, Kyo is called Kyon Kyon at times....and he's Kyo Sohma, er, Sohma Kyo. Hmmm)
Hikoboshi is the Japanese name of the cattle herder in the Tanabata myth.

If you've read the books, you'll understand why Tanabata is very, very important to Haruhi.

There's a theory that Kyon and Haruhi are actually Hikoboshi and Orihime from the story...

It has no real founding behind it, until you look up the name of the cattle herder in the Korean version of the myth.

It's "Kyonu".

So it'd kinda fit if he real name was similar to "Hikoboshi" somehow.
Old 2007-12-21, 17:43   Link #814
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:

Yeah, it's not like Japanese name all their pseudo-Western people with fake-sounding fantasy names in an effort to make them sound exotic.

Can you find my hamfistedly sarcastic point about xenocentrism, like an allegorical needle in a haystack?

Last edited by Twisted Reality; 2007-12-21 at 18:03.
Old 2007-12-23, 00:02   Link #815
TheRainbowConnection

Wow, thanks for the heads-up on the Tanabata myth. Being Chinese, I now remember learning about this story as a kid, although I've totally forgotten what it's called. Still, it's a sweet little story, and I don't doubt that the meaning of the myth will be tied into the story.

Anyways, I'm a newbie, and I have a question for some of you more knowledgeable folks out there. In the anime OP, we get treated to a variety of scenes that are canon moments in the Haruhi-verse (though may be wholly unmentioned in the first anime season). For example, if I were to begin at the beginning of the OP and go in order...
Spoiler:

Three scenes in the OP puzzle me, though, as to their origin. If you guys can, I'd like it if you could answer them, if such answers exist:

1) Haruhi reaches out her hand to a hand coming from a bright light. I'm guessing that this is meant to be taken metaphorically, where that hand is Kyon's? Still, is there any indication in any canon for it?

2) Haruhi is in a black coat and is making hand gestures. Where is this from? I can't think of anything.

3) Haruhi is riding on the back of Kyon's bike, and they're both in uniform. I first thought that this was from "Endless Eight", but that was summer break, and Kyon was also carrying Yuki. Does he bike with Haruhi at any other point?
Old 2007-12-23, 12:41   Link #816
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainbowConnection View Post
Wow, thanks for the heads-up on the Tanabata myth. Being Chinese, I now remember learning about this story as a kid, although I've totally forgotten what it's called. Still, it's a sweet little story, and I don't doubt that the meaning of the myth will be tied into the story.

Anyways, I'm a newbie, and I have a question for some of you more knowledgeable folks out there. In the anime OP, we get treated to a variety of scenes that are canon moments in the Haruhi-verse (though may be wholly unmentioned in the first anime season). For example, if I were to begin at the beginning of the OP and go in order...
Spoiler:

Three scenes in the OP puzzle me, though, as to their origin. If you guys can, I'd like it if you could answer them, if such answers exist:

1) Haruhi reaches out her hand to a hand coming from a bright light. I'm guessing that this is meant to be taken metaphorically, where that hand is Kyon's? Still, is there any indication in any canon for it?

2) Haruhi is in a black coat and is making hand gestures. Where is this from? I can't think of anything.

3) Haruhi is riding on the back of Kyon's bike, and they're both in uniform. I first thought that this was from "Endless Eight", but that was summer break, and Kyon was also carrying Yuki. Does he bike with Haruhi at any other point?
1) No one knows what that means. It's probably symbolic. And no, there's no indication in canon for it.

2) The one of Haruhi in the gakuran? That's from official art by Noizi Ito. It never appears in canon.

3) Another moment that does not appear in canon... yet.

As for the piano thing, and the video camera thing... I don't think they exactly appear in canon either...
Old 2007-12-23, 12:52   Link #817
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
As for the piano thing, and the video camera thing... I don't think they exactly appear in canon either...
The piano-playing actually occurred during the "Soundworm" incident, which was a part of an audio drama CD you can buy. Essentially, Haruhi wanted to join, compete, and win a rock-music competition, with strange results.
Click on the below link and you would get the translations from the drama CD.
http://www12.brinkster.com/stratoct/haruhi.htm

It is most likely canon, as it also hints at the origins of the dance moves in the anime ED.
Old 2007-12-23, 17:02   Link #818
TheRainbowConnection

Thanks, guys. It's true that the drama CD appears to be only part of the animeverse, but so far, the anime and novelverses have been so congruent that I lump them into one canon. This is by no means guaranteed to hold true, of course, as the anime goes on.

And you may be right about Haruhi in the gym with the camcorder. I swear, I read that somewhere, but it may have been a fic. Oh well.

P.S. Everyone should listen to the drama CD if only to hear Kyon and Koizumi's, um, awesome rap. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvAXm3REsPo
Old 2007-12-23, 19:26   Link #819
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The piano-playing actually occurred during the "Soundworm" incident, which was a part of an audio drama CD you can buy. Essentially, Haruhi wanted to join, compete, and win a rock-music competition, with strange results.
Click on the below link and you would get the translations from the drama CD.
http://www12.brinkster.com/stratoct/haruhi.htm

It is most likely canon, as it also hints at the origins of the dance moves in the anime ED.
I've heard/seen the drama CD, my point was that it's part of animecanon, and she was playing a keyboard, not a piano in that part of the CD anyway.
Old 2007-12-27, 10:36   Link #820
f4bidnish40

Send a message via AIM to f4bidnish40 Send a message via Yahoo to f4bidnish40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
1) No one knows what that means. It's probably symbolic. And no, there's no indication in canon for it.

2) The one of Haruhi in the gakuran? That's from official art by Noizi Ito. It never appears in canon.

3) Another moment that does not appear in canon... yet.

Btw, the book falling open after the knife... many fans speculate that when yuki sensed the fact that asakura was trying to kill kyon, that she dropped her book in a hurry to rescue him. got that from wiki.sos-dan.com
Closed Thread