AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Where do you stand on this novel being translated?
I Agree 18 90.00%
Undecided (Please give a reason) 0 0%
I disagree (Please give a reason) 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-21, 03:53   Link #1
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

9S <Nine S> <ナインエス>

Okay, this is some information about a light novel series known as 9S, which stands for:
The Security System that Seals the Savage Science Smartly by its Supreme Sagacity and Strength

Story Synopsis:
The world of 9S is something like Type-moon's Tsukihime, and Metal Gear Solid, with plenty of Full Metal Panic, put together in a rather original way, I think. The story is set in an age of science, but not in too distant a future. The Mad Scientist, Crazed Genious or whatever you want to call him, Mineshima Yujiro, has dissapeared several years previous to the where the story begins. The inheritance he left behind, the technology and object he had created, were given the codename Legacy, and are highly sought after by government agencies and terrorists, for reasons both good, and...not so pleasant. One of these 'objects' he left behind, was his daughter, imparted with a mental calculating capacity that dwarfs supercomputers, combined with her physical body, which makes for a devastating combonation.

-Touma is an outcast member of an ancient family, who have refined their destructive impulses into a weapon. However because such a personality would not fit in society they developed a masking personality which hides their killing impulse. Touma awakened to his killing impulse due to training from his father years ago and struggles to suppress his other personality

-Mineshima Yu is the daughter of Mineshima Yujiro. Kept under constant surveillance by ADEM, an anti-terrorist force dedicated to keeping guard over 'Legacy,' she has never been outside since her father disappeared, and she was taken captive.

In Volume 1, Touma is the only one to escape during a terrorist attack, and is taken to ADEM's headquarters, and there meets Yu. ADEM forms a reconaissance mission, and the novel takes off. Touma struggles with his families bloodline, and the task he needs to complete, while Yu is simply thankful for the opportunity to see the outside world for the first time in over 10 years. Together it's a race against time to stop the terrorists, and regain control of the "Legacy," which is made more complicated when the leader of the opposition is...

I also wanted to say that according to a pretty thourough check, there seems to be no english publication or translation, so I'm opening the doors to free translation. What this means, is that if you want to actually read this novel, like most novels, all you need to do is check out:

Baka-Tsuki 9S Page

Please, tell me what you think!
Old 2010-06-21, 05:45   Link #2
Tri-ring

I read up to volume nine.
It is interesting with a lot of action packed fights and WTF revelations which completely steers the plot into left field in an interesting way.
The super weapons are completely mind boggling and the villains are also "Special" in many ways through out the series.
Old 2010-06-21, 12:53   Link #3
Kunagisa

The only qualm about this series I had was that the illustrator changed for the latest volume, which has aboslutely nothing to do with the content itself; therefore, I'm definitely supporting this translation.

Plot wise, I first thought this is just really action packed and gore, but the Heaven's Gate arc show these guys can be really creative too. Character wise Yuu is freaking win and awesome, her interactions with Maya are all sorts of hilarity, then there she and Touma~~~<3. I think if you like Ghost in the Shell you would like this, same if you disliked GiTS.
Old 2010-06-21, 20:26   Link #4
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

after reading 10 vol and the side story i have to say it has an excellent plot. sure they did have to change the illustrator in the latest volume but thats no big deal. and the fact that the main character fights like Shiki Nanaya might feel like a rip off for some but the plot is very original.
Old 2010-06-23, 08:53   Link #5
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

Just wanted to say thanks to the two previous posters, I'm really looking forward to continue reading the series myself ^_^

Also, 12% of chapter 1 has been uploaded, for any who are interested in checking it out.

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=9S
Old 2010-07-06, 15:03   Link #6
elroid

Wow, didn't noticed there is a thread for 9S! Thanks for making one. Its really hard to search for it in any search engine with its name. Didn't expect to find this when i was googling Mineshima Yuu for fun xD.

This is in fact my favourite light novel among all that i have read so far. I love the character settings and how they interacts. Story and plot setting wise, the authors really did well in setting the stories and the Legacy related stuffs. There are many things that people normally wouldn't expect or think that detailed.

Spoiler for Legacy that I really love but might spoil:
Old 2010-07-06, 18:00   Link #7
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

here is a quick plot summary/character intro for vol 1 and 2
Spoiler:

Last edited by Angrypokstick; 2010-07-06 at 20:55.
Old 2010-07-06, 18:06   Link #8
konart

Somehow it sounds like To Aru Index + Kurokami, lol

Thank you
Old 2010-07-07, 00:58   Link #9
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Somehow it sounds like To Aru Index + Kurokami, lol

Thank you
i still think 9S= Tsukihime + Metal gear solid + FMP and maybe a bit of Ghost in the Shell.
Old 2010-07-07, 01:24   Link #10
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypokstick View Post
i still think 9S= Tsukihime + Metal gear solid + FMP and maybe a bit of Ghost in the Shell.
This is a pretty good comparison, except Nanaya will still wipe the floor with Touma (then again Nasuverse is pretty broken in general), but Yuu probably outclass everyone in MGS and FMP.

Oh man would be so epic if 9S gets an anime. Kinda bummed lately there haven't been that many bloody series.
Old 2010-07-07, 01:55   Link #11
elroid

I would love it if 9S gets an anime. But somehow I doesn't want it to be animated too... its been intriguing within my head. As almost all light novel adapted anime would have to cut off and summarize the story within limited episodes.

I enjoyed almost every single moment of 9S and its kinda hard to imagine how much content will be removed. (Btw, 9S is also the thickest light novel I ever had xD). Maybe it would be better if it was adapted into OVA or movie...?
Old 2010-07-07, 02:04   Link #12
nines
I much prefer the 2d

omg they named a manga after my name! theifs!
Old 2010-07-07, 07:15   Link #13
Wrath88
Kissing...

Oddly, I just wondered what happens if the guy with the vibration sword used it on the guy with the combat armor
Old 2010-07-08, 00:05   Link #14
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
Oddly, I just wondered what happens if the guy with the vibration sword used it on the guy with the combat armor
What do you think will happen?
Old 2010-07-08, 07:41   Link #15
saya_leviathan

I heard that there's a drama CD version of this one. I check in the Japanese wiki that the male lead is voiced by Akira Ishida.
Closed Thread

Tags
ナインエス, light novel, nine s, shounen, translation