AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-12-14, 23:53   Link #1
domino
デレデレ

Koei considering releasing dating sims for English PS2

According to a recent Newtype USA article, it seems that Koei has stated that they will release their anime-style dating sims for the Playstation 2 in English if they can find enough support.

The series in question is Angelique, one of Japan's most popular romance game series. A petition for the game has started up in an attempt to persuade Koei (there was another petition for the series that got 1000+ signatures but the owner of it disappeared...).

I don't know where petitions stand in the rules for this forum, but I'd appreciate it if you'd sign the petition and tell people about it: http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/AngeliquePS2

It could be a good opportunity to finally open the door to getting more dating sim games in the US. And even though it's aimed at girls, I know many guys who enjoy this series, so guys shouldn't be afraid. ;)

The games in this series are about a girl and her rival trying to become queen by winning a competition to raise a continent/planet/piece of land better than her rival. The girls can also date their assistants and improve relationships with characters and fall in love. The games also have awesome voice actors and anime-style cutscenes, so it's a series that America shouldn't miss.

Some sites about this series:
Official site (Japanese)
General information site (English)
Angelique Image Gallery (English)

What do you all think? I'm a HUGE dating sim fan so I really hope that Koei can be persuaded ^_^

Last edited by domino; 2004-12-15 at 00:08.
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 08:35   Link #2
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

The petition got my vote!

I'll be posting this at the Peach Princess BBS as well.

EDIT: Done! Here's the link:
http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/For...ML/002101.html
I couldn't have said it better than you, so I pasted your post and gave you credit.

EDIT2: Posted on G-Collections' BBS as well.
http://bbs6.sekkaku.net/bbs/gcoll.html

Last edited by Benoit; 2004-12-15 at 08:57.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 16:05   Link #3
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

The Playstation 2, huh... I'd prefer the PC myself, but I'll take what I can get. I'll probably have to get my own TV though, the only one we have now is occupied almost 24/7. Let's hope this comes through
Old 2004-12-15, 17:38   Link #4
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

I feel the same way, AG3. I even hate the PS2.
But a bishoujo game is a bishoujo game, no matter what the system, and this could be a breakthrough.

By the way, I plan to play the game on my PC, using a PS2 emulator.

Last edited by Benoit; 2004-12-15 at 17:49.
Old 2004-12-15, 19:41   Link #5
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit
But a bishoujo game is a bishoujo game, no matter what the system, and this could be a breakthrough.

I kinda doubt a fully functional PS2 emulator will be completed anytime soon. PCSX 2 is far, far from being able to run games, at least at playable levels. Then again, if this thing with Koei doesn't work, it might take longer than that before we see any PS2 dating-sims in English.
Old 2004-12-15, 22:53   Link #6
DekaMaster
Banned

You could just wait for when nintendo needs money and starts releasing "You can touch your favorite girl" games for the DS
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-16, 07:48   Link #7
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster
You could just wait for when nintendo needs money and starts releasing "You can touch your favorite girl" games for the DS
I'd LMFAO if that ever happened...

Then I'd run to the store to buy a DS and that game
Old 2004-12-16, 08:48   Link #8
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Feel The Magic XX:XY has already been released on the Nintendo DS by Sonic Team.
Old 2004-12-16, 17:30   Link #9
domino
デレデレ

Quote:
Feel The Magic XX:XY has already been released on the Nintendo DS by Sonic Team.
What is that? And is it in English? Hmm... I don't have a DS and don't know anything about it or it's games... (except for the famous Shonen Jump DS game of course)

And thanks to everyone who signed the petition so far. :) Hopefully it will get more support and spread around...
Old 2004-12-16, 18:09   Link #10
DekaMaster
Banned

Feel the magic is just a mini games thing like wario ware
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-17, 18:43   Link #11
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Yes, it's released in English. As for what it is, read GameSpot's coverage of the game:
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/adventure...ru/review.html

Sprung for the DS seems to be released as well, and it looks interesting.
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/adventure/crush/review.html
Old 2004-12-17, 18:59   Link #12
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Feel the Magic honestly has some of the suckiest graphics I've seen in modern times. It's just downright depressive for a bishoujo game fan like me...
Old 2004-12-19, 15:49   Link #13
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

It's a special style, AG3. Wait until you see the game in motion.

I've also posted this thread at Animetric.
http://animetric.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=4952

72 signatures, and counting...
Old 2004-12-19, 20:26   Link #14
domino
デレデレ

Thanks who everyone who helped spread the word around. ^_^ Hopefully Koei will listen.

I didn't know there was an English dating sim like game already out (Sprung for Nintendo DS).... but the graphics/artwork is so bad that I don't want to play it (not worth buying a DS for either).
And what makes Angelique more appealing is that even if you don't want to date anyone, there's still lots of other things to do in the game (get recipes, buy gifts to befriend all of your helpers, save planets by raising them properly, and more~). Ahh, I love sim games. ^_^
Old 2004-12-20, 07:02   Link #15
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Excuse me, but is there anyone that can look past the graphics and maybe try the game first before writing it off?
Old 2004-12-20, 09:01   Link #16
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Excuse me, but is there anyone that can look past the graphics and maybe try the game first before writing it off?
Well, you must not forget that some people just don't like some sort of CG.
A character can be drawn in a way you don't like and that's probably one of the most important things with the gameplay/story.
I personally don't get games if I don't like their arts, that might sound strange for you, but if you don't find the main characters of those sort of games appealing, it's pretty pointless to even think of buying it.
Old 2004-12-20, 10:10   Link #17
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Quote:
If you're referring to Sprung, well not only are the graphics no good, the gameplay is not good either. Why? There's only one good ending! (well, 2 good endings considering you can choose to play either as the male or female protagonist, but still, you can only win the other protagonist, and none of the other characters in the game, so no replay value)

There's an article about it here:

http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,21...w=wn_tophead_4
Sailor Enlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-20, 19:24   Link #18
domino
デレデレ

Quote:
Excuse me, but is there anyone that can look past the graphics and maybe try the game first before writing it off? :(
As an artist, art in games is very important to me, and sometimes I'll even buy games just because they have good artwork. I think it's especially important in dating sims because most of the game is staring at a picture with text under it. And the "rewards" in the game are usually unlockable CGs to add to a gallery collection. So while graphics are definately not everything in a game, I think they're very important in this kind of genre. :P

But that's just my quick opinion. ^_^
Old 2004-12-30, 14:27   Link #19
quina_eats_ur_babies

Wink

Quote:

Err, Angelique is not a bishoujo game. It's a dating series made for girls, where you play a girl who chases boys. Same for all of Koei's dating sims (Harukanaru Toki no Naka de and Kin'iro no Coruda).
quina_eats_ur_babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-30, 14:43   Link #20
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

A dating sim eh? Either way, it should be interesting.