AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-07-05, 10:44   Link #1441
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
But that's the result, not necessarily the intend. If that is indeed the intend then Saki is definitely the Evil Haraguro Maou of the series that was out to destroy every Mahjong players who stands in her path.

Seriously though, it ability of hers was there since the beginning just got overshadowed by her affinity of Rinshan.

I've always thought that the reason Teru develop such hatred toward her (even though they were close before) was precisely because of this, it might even be a reason why their parent split as well....
Well I assume her parents have some skills as well, and Teru does but apparently Saki even back then was still going +-0. It probably really pissed Teru off. Actually a lot of people on /a/ and I agree with the opinion that the true evil monster of mahjong in this series is Saki, not Teru.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 10:59   Link #1442
NeutralZero

Unless we got a valid excuse from her in the next chapter then she might really be one but... if so then she's worst than Koromo in her past... in a different degree...
Still hope that ain't true... except for the reason Teru is mad at her... the she holding back and getting +/- 0
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 11:17   Link #1443
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
I thought Saki's promise was not to purposely throw more games using the +/- 0 method, the difference here is that she won the game and even secured a tactical advantage for her team. Nodoka's goal is to win the tournament so I don't think she'd complain how Saki goes about doing it unless she pulls something to mock the other teams like Koromo purposely avoiding winning the game just to reduce Ikeda's score to exactly zero to purposely grind her nose into the fact that she's powerless to fight back.

It's unknown if Nodoka noticed anything "odd" about Saki considering her lack of belief in the occult, but it's doubtful any inquires about it will have anger in it, confusion maybe, but not anger.
Does manipulating the game to make the last place come second count as mocking? Because it should. I know you have a point, but that would be a pretty dissapointing development for many who were waiting some suffering for our main couple (blame the famous final preview for that).

I don't expect Nodoka to give a plop about anyone else's suffering, but some kind of non-happy reaction would be welcome.

@Sumeragi
Early? This came out almost at the end of the series regular TV run (I saw a couple scans before the last episode), that's snail speed for the Japanese otaku standards.

And thanks, looking forward to more Hisa pimping already.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 11:44   Link #1444
tsunade666

Spoiler for 99:
Old 2012-07-05, 12:37   Link #1445
Marina2

My theories about the reason behind Teru x Saki conflict (Feel free to comment)

Spoiler for Theory, text wall:

Note: Sorry for typo and grammar error (if any), I haven't recheck it yet.
Old 2012-07-05, 13:12   Link #1446
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Does manipulating the game to make the last place come second count as mocking? Because it should. I know you have a point, but that would be a pretty dissapointing development for many who were waiting some suffering for our main couple (blame the famous final preview for that).

I don't expect Nodoka to give a plop about anyone else's suffering, but some kind of non-happy reaction would be welcome.

@Sumeragi
Early? This came out almost at the end of the series regular TV run (I saw a couple scans before the last episode), that's snail speed for the Japanese otaku standards.

And thanks, looking forward to more Hisa pimping already.
The problem I have with the complaints about Saki's "evilness" is what on earth is the poor girl supposed to do? Nodoka will get upset if Saki intentionally holds back and doesn't play seriously, if she does play seriously and wipes out her enemies Nodoka will still get upset? Doesn't that sound a bit unreasonable?

This is a competitive tournament and the goal is to win, plus Saki has important business in the finals and can't afford any obstructions to get there. The other schools are in her way and she must defeat them to pass. So what must she do? Answer: Destroy the enemy. This isn't anything personal to the other schools just using the means in her abilities to defeat them.

I can appreciate the desire for drama between Saki and Nodoka but seeing some reactions of basically calling Saki a cruel and heartless monster toying with her opponents just really unreasonable. She's here to fight and defeat the other teams, wouldn't it be more insulting to hold back against them which was Nodoka's original complaint with Saki. Why did Saki wait until the end to suddenly destroy them? Would it of been better if she went fully Teru and just rip them to pieces starting from hand 2? I'm sure there still would of been complaints.

I think a lot of people are just upset that some of their more favorite characters got eliminated and that's perfectly fine but cmon now.....

Sorry for the rant but it was just really starting to bug me as I'm just as biased as anyone else.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 14:26   Link #1447
Undertaker

Quote:
The problem I have with the complaints about Saki's "evilness" is what on earth is the poor girl supposed to do? Nodoka will get upset if Saki intentionally holds back and doesn't play seriously, if she does play seriously and wipes out her enemies Nodoka will still get upset? Doesn't that sound a bit unreasonable?

This is a competitive tournament and the goal is to win, plus Saki has important business in the finals and can't afford any obstructions to get there. The other schools are in her way and she must defeat them to pass. So what must she do? Answer: Destroy the enemy. This isn't anything personal to the other schools just using the means in her abilities to defeat them.

I can appreciate the desire for drama between Saki and Nodoka but seeing some reactions of basically calling Saki a cruel and heartless monster toying with her opponents just really unreasonable. She's here to fight and defeat the other teams, wouldn't it be more insulting to hold back against them which was Nodoka's original complaint with Saki. Why did Saki wait until the end to suddenly destroy them? Would it of been better if she went fully Teru and just rip them to pieces starting from hand 2? I'm sure there still would of been complaints.

I think a lot of people are just upset that some of their more favorite characters got eliminated and that's perfectly fine but cmon now.....

Sorry for the rant but it was just really starting to bug me as I'm just as biased as anyone else.
I think you're being too serious about the "Evil Maou" thing.

Obvious this series is more a comedy than actual good v.s. evil or even a true competitive mahjong manga about friendship and personal skill improvement.

Most people (at least the ones I know in Asian forum) are treating "Evil Maou" thing like how Lahal was in Disgaea, it's not anything really anything bad, the just treat it like an RPG as most ACG fan would do.

It's not really surprising especially there is a trend in comedic ACG work to have POV from that traditionally "evil" side of equation. Sort like Kyuo kara Maou, Disgaea, and like.

It's basically Japan's take of anti-hero.

Personally, my take is Saki is doing all this unconsciously. Not knowing how her action might effects other, all she need is a Hero to point her the right way and turn her to light, be it Nodoka or the fallen hero Teru...
Old 2012-07-05, 14:35   Link #1448
Academus

Quote:

Spoiler for 99:
Academus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 15:02   Link #1449
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Academus View Post
Spoiler for 99:
Spoiler for 99:
Old 2012-07-05, 15:27   Link #1450
Academus

Quote:
Spoiler for 99:
To quote your own words: We're just going to have to agree to disagree on the definition of sportsmanship.
As I stated I think it's a valid strategy, but there's no denying that unlike Toki, Saki chooses the esay way out.
Besides, the purpose of my reply is to show the reason why some are not happy with Saki's action, which is not necessarily related to their passion for other characters as you suggested.
In any case the whole "black Saki" thing is, as Undertaker suggested, a meme thing because everyone loves antihero.
Academus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 15:36   Link #1451
Serperior

Spoiler:
Serperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 15:42   Link #1452
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serperior View Post
Spoiler:
Yep, even I have to admit that one pulls at the old heartstrings there, no question of that. Poor thing.

@Acaademus

Fair enough, you do have some valid points too, I suppose I just like the energy of the discussion most of all. When both sides have valid interpretations, I think those are the most interesting.
Old 2012-07-05, 16:29   Link #1453
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Personally, my take is Saki is doing all this unconsciously. Not knowing how her action might effects other, all she need is a Hero to point her the right way and turn her to light, be it Nodoka or the fallen hero Teru...
Did you forget the "I will meet onee-chan, and crush everyone in the way" part? Saki knows exactly what she's doing.

Also, Nodoka looked rather concerned at that statement, which further strenghts my believe there will be some reaction from her next chapter, which only now I'm realizing is the 100th chapter. Coincidence?
Old 2012-07-05, 17:05   Link #1454
Undertaker

I remember that, which is why I said before that the question here is that the fact that Himematsu advanced, was it intentional or simply a by product of the result of her ability?

If it's intentional , then obviously we are seeing a Black Haraguro Saki soon. But if Himematsu advance was just a coincidence because Saki's ability (right now I'm assuming is complete control of match flow as long as she is aiming for +/-) then everything is different. Though to be clear, either way doesn't contradict her claim of crushing everyone in her path.

Basically, I'm saying that Saki might not have choice but to allow Himematsu to score big to prevent getting into as score race with other two schools and Himematsu's advance might not be part of intend.

But who knows, maybe we'll know the truth next chapter..

BTW, anniversary chapters rarely mean anything story-wise in manga unlike in U.S. comic. You might got a congratulatory shout out in first page that that would be it. Even a special color spread is usually reserved more for years milestone than chapters milestone.
Old 2012-07-05, 17:53   Link #1455
The Green One

At the very least this marathon match is FINALLY over. Maybe we can finally get some new developments, a breath of fresh air would be nice.
Old 2012-07-05, 17:53   Link #1456
Sumeragi
Banned

*Part of heart dies*

TOYONE-CHAN!!!!!!!!!!!
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 19:04   Link #1457
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
*Part of heart dies*

TOYONE-CHAN!!!!!!!!!!!
Guess everyone have a part of their hearts dies in both the spinoff anime and manga... I got a total of 2 parts lost on both sides...

Saki how could you... Mahjong is not tanoshii if its like this...
Old 2012-07-05, 20:21   Link #1458
tarajis
El Psy Congroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Wait... this match also takes place in the achiga-hen anime, and we clearly see that Kiyosumi passed, so how does Saki go from "you're alive because I feel like it" to "can't go in, onee-chan will eat me"? Sure, Teru is terrifying, but right now it seems Saki is the only one with the power to defeat her.

Maybe Saki just realized after the match what she just did... remember she wants to reconcile with her sister but after she just did she probably just caused trouble... Saki playing +/- zero may be a major factor on the Miyanaga Siblings situation... now she just did that on National TV... not to mention the announcer saying she did that +/- zero thing consecutively during the individuals... now, how can she meet with her sister saying I changed how to play, I play to win now? she's scared meeting her in the hallway looking for the washroom...
tarajis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 21:01   Link #1459
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajis View Post
Maybe Saki just realized after the match what she just did... remember she wants to reconcile with her sister but after she just did she probably just caused trouble... Saki playing +/- zero may be a major factor on the Miyanaga Siblings situation... now she just did that on National TV... not to mention the announcer saying she did that +/- zero thing consecutively during the individuals... now, how can she meet with her sister saying I changed how to play, I play to win now? she's scared meeting her in the hallway looking for the washroom...
That actually makes perfect sense. Could it be Saki is now having so much fun making tall moe girls cry she doesn't even realize her own actions until it's too late?
Old 2012-07-05, 22:54   Link #1460
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serperior View Post
Spoiler:
My heart...

I have half a mind to start hating on Saki, but lucky for her, she's way too awesome for my hate.

Last edited by Qilin; 2012-07-05 at 23:08.
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri