AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2019-10-03, 05:54   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 958 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Yo, guys! As has been the case with the last couple chapters, not much info is out at the moment, but we'll have to make do! Credit goes to Sandman and co. at AP for the spoilers:

-Chapter title is "The Promised Port". Ministory continues the encounter between Capone's crew and the musician who mistook Chiffon for Lola. He says that Lola just recently visited Dressrosa!

-The chapter begins with a flashback of the Roger pirates! Shortly before the great pirate era began, the crew is shown throwing a party onboard their ship. Roger gets into an argument with Crocus about their drinking habits, while Rayleigh, Buggy, and Shanks are hanging out with Oden. Apparently, they want to help him open Wano's borders to the outside world, but the samurai refuses, saying that this is a task that can only be handled by the Kouzuki clan alone. He further explains that it's a mystery as to why Wano isolated itself in the first place, but he intends to become the next shogun and open the country's borders, a dream he's had for twenty years now.....

-Twenty-five years later, back in the present time, Act 3 of the Wano arc begins! Orochi and his servants set off for Onigashima to join in the Fire Festival! Curiously, it's the yakuza boss Kyoushirou who will be watching over the capital in the shogun's absence. Meanwhile, Momonosuke's group reach the port in Udon, but.... no ships, nor any of their 4000 soldiers, can be found. In fact, there are signs that an attack occurred! Kinemon tries to get in contact with Luffy and Hyou, but is unable to. As the chapter ends, we see Orochi partying with babes at Onigashima. It's here we learn that an incident had taken place the previous night....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2019-10-04 at 10:19.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-03, 07:47   Link #2
grecefar

wow that was like the fastest war ever~
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-03, 10:55   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm honestly disappointed we're back to Wano already.
Old 2019-10-03, 11:47   Link #4
Void

The Scabbards are all safe. Is just further proof that the traitor is one of them.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-03, 13:59   Link #5
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Yeah, I was hoping we get a few more chapters showing what was happening outside of Wano.
Old 2019-10-03, 14:27   Link #6
Rainbowman

I wonder if this “incident” had anything to do with those Oni we saw when act 2 ended?
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-04, 02:20   Link #7
Hakai

Well this chapter was depressing(second part).

Drunk Roger! His face lol. Seeing Crocus punching him like that makes me feel his relationship with his crew was similar to Luffy's(well that's kinda expected).

Seems like everyone was a fan of Oden-san. And we still only see his silhouette. Damn Oda continues hyping him up. I have a feeling his full flashback is going to be absolutely epic.

Last edited by Hakai; 2019-10-04 at 02:56.
Hakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-04, 02:52   Link #8
Kaz_

Damn I've been so lost in all those Wano politics for a while, it was so refreshing to see Roger and his crew acting all drunk, laughing, beating and encouraging each other. Good old One Piece spirit.
Kaz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-04, 10:43   Link #9
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
Yeah, I was hoping we get a few more chapters showing what was happening outside of Wano.
Truth be told, I'm not the least bit surprised we returned to Wano already. I'm actually more surprised that we had two chapters of Oda dropping bombs in the outside world (I'd figured we would only have one before we moved on to Act 3). Frankly, despite my hunger for more Reverie-related happenings, I'm satisfied with what we have for the moment..... after all, the last couple chapters, at the very least, painted a bigger picture of what danger Kaidou and Big Mom represents by forming their alliance.....

--------------------

Anyways, that flashback at the start certainly was amusing. Poor Buggy, he just can't stand playing second fiddle to Shanks, can he? Actually, I wonder how big his bounty is now that he's no longer a warlord? I sorta wouldn't be surprised if it jumped past the billion range due to his connection to Roger (though still behind Shanks, due to him still being #2 ).

What else... oh yeah, Okiku looks pretty badass in that armor, IMO. And of course, I'm not surprised that the port was attacked since Orochi got tipped off about it at the end of the second act. So most likely, those soldiers and Hiyori were all captured by the shogun's forces and are being held prisoner, I guess. Of course, this could also turn out to be part of a bigger plot to turn the tables on Orochi since it's heavily implied he's got traitors in his midst (possibly Kyoushirou, DEFINITELY Drake).....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-04, 10:47   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Given that Luffy and his crew are among the missing people, it's definitely not what it looks like. I'm sure everyone is just fine. This may in fact be a ploy to unmask the traitor.
Old 2019-10-04, 22:17   Link #11
Tuor

The end of this chapter reminds me of the one in Tottoland where it looked as if the Sunny had been sunk by Big Mom. Though I dislike having to wait 2 weeks (or more) to find out what really happened.
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-05, 15:32   Link #12
cyberdemon

Starting to wonder if Oden is alive and is a character we know considering all the effort to not show his face yet in the manga. Or maybe it will turn out that he is Zoro's father and not showing his face is to keep that surprise hidden since they look identical.
Old 2019-10-05, 15:44   Link #13
Superstars
Final Boss

Not surprised we are back.
Superstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-05, 16:09   Link #14
Hakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
Starting to wonder if Oden is alive and is a character we know considering all the effort to not show his face yet in the manga. Or maybe it will turn out that he is Zoro's father and not showing his face is to keep that surprise hidden since they look identical.
That'll make Hiyori his sister
Old 2019-10-05, 16:20   Link #15
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Sin View Post
That'll make Hiyori his sister
Well they haven’t done anything inappropriate
Old 2019-10-05, 17:15   Link #16
Hakai

Quote:
Well they haven’t done anything inappropriate
I know, I just thought it'd be funny since a lot of people are shipping them hard already.

Anyway I doubt Oden looked identical to Zoro, someone would have pointed that out by now. But maybe he looks similar to some other character, that could surprise the readers.
Old 2019-10-05, 17:45   Link #17
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Sin View Post
I know, I just thought it'd be funny since a lot of people are shipping them hard already.

Anyway I doubt Oden looked identical to Zoro, someone would have pointed that out by now. But maybe he looks similar to some other character, that could surprise the readers.
Well there has to be some reason oda refuses to show his face despite the fact that he is supposed to be dead. It must mean his face is recognizable.

Thinking about Rocks. What if it turned out that he was Luffys other grandfather? Garp mentioned the possibility of the Rocks pirates reforming being a threat beyond anything else. Yet he was grinning while saying that. What if he was thinking about if these former rocks pirates joining under Luffy in the future? Knowing he is heir to the Rocks pirates. I think that would be a lot more interesting than if Luffys mother was some snooty world noble like Im and instead the daughter of one of the most dangerous pirates that used to exist. Pirating would be in Luffys blood. We’ve also known garp to hide the children of his enemies like he did with Ace
Old 2019-10-05, 23:46   Link #18
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Well there has to be some reason oda refuses to show his face despite the fact that he is supposed to be dead. It must mean his face is recognizable.

Thinking about Rocks. What if it turned out that he was Luffys other grandfather? Garp mentioned the possibility of the Rocks pirates reforming being a threat beyond anything else. Yet he was grinning while saying that. What if he was thinking about if these former rocks pirates joining under Luffy in the future? Knowing he is heir to the Rocks pirates. I think that would be a lot more interesting than if Luffys mother was some snooty world noble like Im and instead the daughter of one of the most dangerous pirates that used to exist. Pirating would be in Luffys blood. We’ve also known garp to hide the children of his enemies like he did with Ace
Garp also grinning before Marineford War during when Rayleigh was at slave auction. Let's just say he got a foresight or intuition that his prediction will come true. It's very rare to have a CO (Commanding Officer) have a great foresight like that. I personally want Garp to become a Fleet Admiral and Tsuru remains as Number Two at Marines since both have a great strategic mind than current FA (Which in this case Akainu or Sakazuki).
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-06, 03:20   Link #19
necrolyte

^They said that Garp declined being Fleet Admiral many times before and they stated his reasons. I don't think this will ever happen.

On the other topic you were discussing, about Luffy being someone else famous(his mother being Im or Rox being his gf) child, I am actually really agains it. I am sick of such connections because it looks like whatever Luffy has acomplished is because of his blood and not of his beliefs, motivation and hard work.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-06, 03:30   Link #20
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrolyte View Post
On the other topic you were discussing, about Luffy being someone else famous(his mother being Im or Rox being his gf) child, I am actually really agains it. I am sick of such connections because it looks like whatever Luffy has acomplished is because of his blood and not of his beliefs, motivation and hard work.
Well, tecnically it's already too late for this. Luffy is a "D"… even though we still don't really know what this stands for, I think there are no doubst that it has to do with those people who are destined for something big.
I think officially we still have no confirmation, if this D is inherited by the mother or the father (Ace's parents both were D, we know nothing about Dragon's and Luffy's mothers)
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote