AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-04-29, 10:53   Link #61
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=118213&page=3118213&page=3

Sounds real bad, better get the coffins ready.

Incorrect linking or making a joke that we're assuming it's bad?

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 11:24   Link #62
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

I think he meant to link to something like this:
http://kotaku.com/seems-like-thief-r...uble-482915418
Old 2013-04-29, 14:13   Link #63
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Corrected it sorry, Pretty tired.

Kyral knew what I was on about
Old 2013-04-29, 20:34   Link #64
JagdPanther

Well, that sounds just wonderful.

Old 2013-04-30, 01:49   Link #65
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Wow, damn... that blows. And all the spending they're doing on things like mo-cap, certainly doesn't help things.
Old 2013-06-07, 17:43   Link #66
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/07/th...-steal-things/

Another meaningless trailer, I really do not like the voice. I think that's probably just me though.
Old 2013-06-07, 21:13   Link #67
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/07/th...-steal-things/

Another meaningless trailer, I really do not like the voice. I think that's probably just me though.
I like the count at the bottom of the article. lol

Old 2013-06-08, 17:15   Link #68
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
. Bows: 1
. Goths: 1
. Meaningful footage of an upcoming video game: 0
It is essential to have this
Old 2013-06-13, 05:40   Link #69
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Judging from the gameplay video from this interview, looks pretty good. You can disable the Focus ability if you want a more authentic Thief experience. All the usual suspect for a game is back, water arrow, the mighty blackjack, first person view with a few more addition such as the swoop ability allowing you to essential duck from cover to cover and Garret can finally climb without needing a rope arrow all the time.

Old 2013-08-17, 23:56   Link #70
Mr Hat and Clogs

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/255-...me-of-passion/

http://www.incgamers.com/2013/08/eid...en-you-want-to

More and more I die a little inside when I read about this. That video looks OK, but it's "played" in that slow cinematic way most developers (marketing?) seem to favor when they just want to show off, and it's immensely frustrating. It's like they just grabbed many "features" of recent games and just shoved them into this regardless of if they fit or not. case in point, you should not get experience for killing in this game.. at all.
Old 2013-08-18, 05:02   Link #71
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/255-...me-of-passion/

http://www.incgamers.com/2013/08/eid...en-you-want-to

More and more I die a little inside when I read about this. That video looks OK, but it's "played" in that slow cinematic way most developers (marketing?) seem to favor when they just want to show off, and it's immensely frustrating. It's like they just grabbed many "features" of recent games and just shoved them into this regardless of if they fit or not. case in point, you should not get experience for killing in this game.. at all.
It does look pretty grim tbh. A lot of shenanigans surrounding the development of this title (like leading figures leaving the project) and sceptic voices from the press who played preview versions cast a doubtful light on the game already and that's a bad sign most of the time.

In general though, adapting features from other games is something almost every game does (and should). Modernizing an aged franchise is also quite important. A thief 4 that plays exactly like 1 and 2 (even 3) with mostly visual advancements wouldn't sell very well. Hardcore nostalgics are never part of the target audience. I do, however, agree with the kill-xp sentiment. If at all, it should give considerably less xp than a non-lethal approach and much less than a solution of complete avoidance.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 06:54   Link #72
Mr Hat and Clogs

Well they had a perfectly good 'xp' system, in the way that how much you stole could be used to purchase upgrade for subsequent missions. That system ties perfectly into the theme of the game rather than a standard XP system, which seems to be what they added.

I don't mind some features, but a few I've noticed lend themselves towards killing, like bullet-time, yes, the game has bullet-time (well, you'd have to call it Arrow-time in this setting, I guess).

The non-jump thing kind of reminds me of the Batman: Arkham series, which is a good comparison as any due to the nature of that game. The non-jump thing worked in that game, but even still it was a little annoying at times.

Don't get me wrong, adding new stuff can be good. But damn they could have been a little less gun-ho about it. I will remain skeptical until the game is released, maybe I shall be pleasantly surprised like with the Tomb Raider game. But until then, I shall be a bitter angry Thief fanboy.
Old 2013-08-18, 08:12   Link #73
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Having no free jumping in a first person game is really bad. I can't even come up with any other explanation for this other than that they don't have the time to polish and want to avoid glitches easily. It's also extremely console-ish, which makes me want to puke.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 10:04   Link #74
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

I am fine with no jumping if this allow them to make better puzzles.

The game play footage reminded me a lot of deus ex:HR. Not exactly the type I am really looking for. I also don't like the idea of just pick-pocketing random guys on the streets and loot spare change from random lootboxes. Feels rather... dumb.

Xp wise I prefer the style that is given by missions/zones. Ie; you complete one mission, no matter how you accomplished it (via stealth or kill), yields the same XP. I wouldn't mind if the game changes a bit based on how you have accomplished missions in the past. For example if you play mostly as a predator: you might run into better equipped and smarter guards (because someone has been killing people left and right in the city!), while a frequent stealther might run into more traps and other stuff like guard dogs... maybe more locked doors which lead to harder puzzles.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 10:18   Link #75
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Faith in this game slowly dying, but I will keep an eye on it. I Might be completely wrong and it could turn out to be mind blowing. But the chances of good puzzles are so slim, the puzzles will probably be like Skyrim really obvious and easy after the first three.
Old 2013-08-18, 10:30   Link #76
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Multiple entry/exit options please.

I want more meta stuff like... being able to steal blueprints from the city hall and use it to assist my way through a mansion, or do stuff like tailing a maido of a house and stealing the house keys. How about hiding in barrels in a cart delivering wine to the nearest party vs stealing/earning an invitation?
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 12:18   Link #77
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Stealing blueprints was in the first and second I think, so maybe that will happen. Multiple entries and exits has to be in or it isn't a Thief game. Just hope for the best
Old 2013-08-21, 04:23   Link #78
Mentar
Banned

Thief without free jumping? The hell?

I was already annoyed by how much more clunky Thief 3 felt compared to 1 and 2 (which were perfect), simply because movements had to be synched to the third-person - like the insufferable "arm raised to indicate that the blackjack would hit now".

Then we have games like the Witcher, where you can't even jump over a tree's root when the game decides "no, you're not supposed to", causing a big amount of irritation.

And it sounds like _Thief_ for crying out loud sets a new standard by preventing the character from freely jumping and forcing the use of scripted "contexted" jump points. And why? With the retarded explanation "It breaks immersion when the master thief falls off all the time".

I want to cry. How stupid can this gaming nannyism get.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 19:58   Link #79
Mr Hat and Clogs

Thief Cuts Experience System

Quote:
Instead of progressing with experience, players will use the gold they steal to purchase tools that will enable them to behave in stealthier or more aggressive manners. On the surface it sounds more akin to how the original games worked, and Cantin acknowledged that the negative reaction to the implementation of experience points had some influence on the decision to cut it.
Hallelujah, finally some sense coming out of this.

Hopefully they also get a clue and re-add the ability to actually jump when you want to.
Old 2013-10-18, 20:08   Link #80
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I'm leaving any expectation at the door with Thief 4. The game is going through so many fundemental changes and so far, the news coming from media hasn't been great with it. The thief game that old fans love and want is probably never going to come back again in the Thief series under Eidos or Square Enix.