AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-23, 17:05   Link #6661
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
The worst part of this story are the people who think the lesbian couple ruined prom for the rest of them, and the a**es who agree and blame the girl for not "standing aside" for the majority (see Yahoo news discussions). The school's reaction of canceling the entire prom is far disproportionate to the small request of two girls to attend together, and a clear case of retaliation.
Its a fine example of just how IRrational and "can't negotiate because they're fundamentalist zealots" the school and some of the folks are.

The others, naturally, miss the true culprits here and blame the girls (the true culprits being the school administration and a few witchburners).
Old 2010-03-23, 20:51   Link #6662
Joojoobees

Alabama blogger calls for wave of vandalism against Democratic party property, claims credit as bricks are thrown through windows across nation.
Sample of Blogger's call for violence:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vanderboegh
They certainly do not hear the soft "snik-snik" of cleaning rods being used on millions of rifle barrels in this country by people who have decided that their backs are to the wall, politics and the courts no longer are sufficient to the task of defending their liberties, and they must make their own arrangements. The Imperial Democrats do not care what you think.
Sons of Liberty, this is your time.

Break their windows.

Break them NOW.

And Nancy, if this be sedition, if this be treason in your eyes, then make the most of it.
Sample news reports:
Old 2010-03-24, 05:41   Link #6663
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Angry over health reform vote, Conservative blogger posts Twitter call for Obama assassination
Old 2010-03-24, 07:05   Link #6664
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Does that blogger realize just saying you want to assassinate the POTUS, whether he means it or not is a crime that can sentence you to life?

Last edited by MrTerrorist; 2010-03-24 at 14:55.
Old 2010-03-24, 08:23   Link #6665
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

...can't that get you arrested?
Old 2010-03-24, 08:25   Link #6666
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Maybe.
At least, it can get you some attention from the Secret Service...
Old 2010-03-24, 08:41   Link #6667
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Yes, though practically speaking - it means the Secret Service will investigate you to assess the threat potential.

Threatening to kill someone or even asserting/announcing that someone needs to be killed is a crime in the US -- various laws pertaining to inciting violence. It is insufficiently enforced and too much tolerance is placed on "he was just in the heat of the moment" defenses.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-03-24 at 08:47. Reason: typo
Old 2010-03-24, 08:47   Link #6668
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

If someone manages to actually collect his rage-induced thoughts of violence enough to post a grammatically correct blog post, I highly doubt it's a "heat of the moment" thing.
Old 2010-03-24, 09:10   Link #6669
yoropa
Director

This made me laugh so much: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100324/ap_on_sc/as_india_disappearing_island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disputed isle in Bay of Bengal disappears into sea
For nearly 30 years, India and Bangladesh have argued over control of a tiny rock island in the Bay of Bengal. Now rising sea levels have resolved the dispute for them: the island's gone.
Best resolution to a land conflict ever.
Old 2010-03-24, 11:03   Link #6670
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoropa View Post
This made me laugh so much: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100324/ap_on_sc/as_india_disappearing_island

Best resolution to a land conflict ever.
Wrong thread. Should be in the Silly News thread.

Apparently Mother Nature got sick of those desert dwellers arguing over a piece of rock and fed it to the sea.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-03-24, 13:54   Link #6671
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_511639.html

Quote:
GOP Senators Refusing To Work Past 2PM, Invoking Obscure Rule

Senate Republicans fuming over the passage of health care reform are now refusing to work past 2 p.m. -- a tactic they can employ by invoking a little-known Senate rule.

On Wednesday, the Judiciary Committee was forced to cancel a hearing as was the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) tweeted today : "Disappointed. Rs refusing to allow hearings today. Had to cancel my oversight hearing on police training contracts in Afghanistan."

Sen. Mark Udall also complained that he had to delay a hearing on the cause of Western forest fires.

Making good on Sen. John McCain's threat to withhold all Republican cooperation from Democrats in the Senate in retribution for the majority party using reconciliation to pass health care reform, the GOP used the rule that states committees can only meet when the chamber is in session with the unanimous consent of all members. That consent has almost never been withheld -- until now.

Armed Services Chairman Carl Levin (D-Mich.) asked for consent for his panel to operate Wednesday afternoon. He noted, ironically, that his request had the support of McCain.

"There is objection on our side of the aisle and therefore I object," said Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.).

The GOP objection blocked testimony from Admiral Robert Willard, United States Navy Commander of the U.S. Pacific Command; from General Kevin Chilton, United States Air Force, Commander of the U.S. Strategic Command, and from General Walter Sharp, United States Army Commander, U.S. Forces Korea.

Story continues below

For his part, Judiciary Chairman Pat Leahy (D-Vt.) was livid when his committee was forced to delay consideration of several judicial nominees.

"I have accommodated requests from Judiciary Committee Republicans to delay the Committee's hearing to consider Professor Liu's nomination," Leahy said.

He continued: "For months, Senate Republicans have resisted efforts to enact important reforms to our health insurance system. But when the dust settles and the emotions are calmed, history will show that President Obama and this Congress responded to a pressing national issue, and proved once again that we can act with the purpose of advancing an important national interest. Sadly, actions like today's objections from Senate Republicans to the consideration of a highly qualified, historic nominee will be viewed as little more than petty, partisan politics."

Jim Manley, a spokesperson for Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), objected to the objection. "For a second straight day, Republicans are using tricks to shut down several key Senate committees. So let me get this straight: in retaliation for our efforts to have an up-or-down vote to improve health care reform, Republicans are blocking an Armed Services committee hearing to discuss critical national security issues among other committee meetings? These political games and obstruction have to stop -- the American people expect and deserve better."

Without unanimous consent, committees are allowed to meet for two hours following the opening of the Senate session -- which on Wednesday was 9:00 a.m. The committees need consent to continue and consent again to continue after 2:00 p.m. Sen. Daniel Akaka (D-Hawaii), Chairman of the Veterans' Affairs Committee, had his hearing shut down abruptly at 11:00 Wednesday morning, in the middle of a discussion on the effort to end veteran homelessness in the next five years. It is estimated that more than 100,000 veterans are homeless in the United States on any given night.

"The Senate should be a place for debate, but I cannot imagine how shutting down a hearing on helping homeless veterans has any part of the debate on the health insurance reform," said Akaka. "I am deeply disappointed that my colleagues chose to hinder our common work to help end veteran homelessness."

Committee meetings were also canceled on Tuesday, but as the result of a behind-the-scenes threat, rather than an on-the-floor objection. One meeting that was shut down even dealt with transparency in government. The Executive Director of the Sunlight Foundation, Ellen Miller was cut off during the hearing.

Nick Wing contributed reporting to this post.
I think this calls for face palm.
Old 2010-03-24, 14:29   Link #6672
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
"I cannot imagine how shutting down a hearing on helping homeless veterans has any part of the debate on the health insurance reform," said Akaka. "I am deeply disappointed that my colleagues chose to hinder our common work to help end veteran homelessness."
Why do we have to pay them if they don't have to work? If Republican senators choose not to work, fine, but they should give their salaries back. It can go towards paying down the deficit or hiring people to polish the various statues in Washington, I don't care which. At a time of economic crisis, we can use Mitch McConnell's $193,400 salary far more effectively than on a guy who insists he only needs to work from 9am to 2pm each day. Same goes for every senator that goes along with this.
Old 2010-03-24, 14:57   Link #6673
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

You know Senators, people elected you to do your jobs, not skipping your jobs.
Old 2010-03-24, 15:20   Link #6674
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

A bit late ....

The secret service goes on a witch-hunt when dealing with such threats . During Bush era a 14 year old kid was arrested for posting suggesting Killing Bush on his MySpace page . Not only did Secret Service take her into custody and question her . Without the presence of a lawyer or guardian present despite being a minor . Yep on MySpace and albeit given it was Bush Era this itself would be a reason for Code Red . Okay here is the article

While here we are dealing with an Adult and the wording used is Assassinate .
Old 2010-03-24, 15:45   Link #6675
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Pro tip on that...the Secret service doesn't treat anything like a joke. Which makes sense, since some of the biggest threats to their wards come from crazy people with big mouths who everyone assumes is just kidding around. From the Services perspective, taking these kind of comments at face value is entirely reasonable.

At my old high school when Prez Clinton was visiting to make a speech, one of the students made a similar kind of remark. He also found himself locked in a room with a number of pissed off burly agents.
Old 2010-03-25, 02:58   Link #6676
Joojoobees

Death threats against Democrats continue, lead to FBI probes:
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_..._vs_democrats/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Herald
On Tuesday, the brother of Rep. Tom Perriello discovered that the gas line connecting a propane tank to an outdoor grill at his home near Charlottesville, Va., had been severed. Days earlier, members of conservative tea party groups in the area had posted his address online, urging people to “drop by” what they mistakenly believed was the congressman’s home. The incident is one of at least 10 under FBI investigation in several states.
Audio of messages left on Bart Stupak's answering machine:
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6329647n&tag=api

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS News
"Congressman Stupak, you baby-killing mother f***er... I hope you bleed out your a**, got cancer and die, you mother f***er."
Old 2010-03-25, 03:40   Link #6677
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Death threats against Democrats continue, lead to FBI probes:
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_..._vs_democrats/

Audio of messages left on Bart Stupak's answering machine:
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6329647n&tag=api
....wow. This is sounding more and more daily like the beginning of the end for the United States of America.
Old 2010-03-25, 05:43   Link #6678
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
....wow. This is sounding more and more daily like the beginning of the end for the United States of America.
If the country breaks apart because of healthcare reform passing, I contend it doesn't deserve to exist.
Old 2010-03-25, 08:33   Link #6679
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
It probably won't be that bad. In every state, there would always be a sore loser in the elections. We had ours too : a lawyer-politician who has a maid fetish and was exposed in the 1990s.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-03-25, 09:18   Link #6680
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It probably won't be that bad. In every state, there would always be a sore loser in the elections. We had ours too : a lawyer-politician who has a maid fetish and was exposed in the 1990s.
Hopefully, these "Tea-Bangers", will just give up with their threats of violence against the government and accept the fact the Healthcare law will benefit their children and the next generation of Americans. If they continue to be stubborn and be more violent, many Republicans might see them as one group that's not worth supporting.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international