Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-09-14, 11:12   Link #1
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Send a message via AIM to Hayamaneko
Computer restarts on its own

Had this problem before on a different machine but its happening again. Anyway the computer merely shuts down on its own and then boots up again without warning. This can happen at any time, whether I am merely browsing the internet or it's sitting idle when I am in another room. The only error message I see that might be related to this in Event viewer is "The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device WpdBusEnumRoot" but from what I can tell that is merely related to a plugged into USB drive and can be ignored. One thing to note is that this has been happening recently, right around the time a windows update started popping up. I will try to roll back everything to see if that helps but I don't know how far back I can go.

Another thing to note is that before all this started I had the issue that the screen would not turn back on after either hibernation or the screen going dark after the computer remained idle long enough. I doubt. Once this happened everything would be completely frozen and I would be forced to manually restart the computer
Old 2013-09-14, 15:33   Link #2
RobotCat
In a Box

There's a couple possibilities. First you should check if you have a virus. Boot into safe mode and try some of the more popular virus checking web apps.

There's also the possibility that your CPU is overheating. So after booting up and using it for a while the temperature would get too high and your computer would auto shut down in order to try to prevent the CPU from getting damaged. There are some tools you can download which will log your temperature and after a restart you can look up the logs and check the temperature.

Bad sectors on RAM/HD is also a possiblity. If your computer tries to use a section of the RAM or HD that has been damaged, it will shut down sometimes. Try using memtest to check your RAM and a Harddrive check tool to check the HD you have your OS installed to.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-15, 16:24   Link #3
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Isn't their some more specific ways of find out whats causing it? The temps for everything are fine and I have no viruses. rolling back everything really didn't help either
Old 2013-09-19, 14:41   Link #4
Jaden

Just restarts without BSOD? And you don't have the automatic restart checked here?

Spoiler for image:

There was some trouble with a windows update causing crashes recently. See if you have the update "kb2859537" installed and if removing that (or rolling back) fixes the problem.
Old 2013-09-19, 17:14   Link #5
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayamaneko View Post
Another thing to note is that before all this started I had the issue that the screen would not turn back on after either hibernation or the screen going dark after the computer remained idle long enough. I doubt. Once this happened everything would be completely frozen and I would be forced to manually restart the computer

check the updates and see if any of them has NSA in it.

that or a ghost in the machine.
Old 2013-09-19, 23:41   Link #6
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Just restarts without BSOD? And you don't have the automatic restart checked here?

Spoiler for image:

There was some trouble with a windows update causing crashes recently. See if you have the update "kb2859537" installed and if removing that (or rolling back) fixes the problem.
I already have that unchecked. How can I find out if I have that particular update file in my system? Already tried going to start and searching for it
Old 2013-09-20, 05:37   Link #7
Jaden

For me it's in the control panel. Go to system and security, then "view installed updates" under Windows Update.

But normally if it's that kind of crash, you'd get a bluescreen or there'd at least be some logs made about the crash. What you describe sounds more like the plug getting pulled, so I'd suspect some kind of power issue. Dunno how I'd go about troubleshooting that though.
Old 2013-09-20, 23:15   Link #8
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Quote:
For me it's in the control panel. Go to system and security, then "view installed updates" under Windows Update.

But normally if it's that kind of crash, you'd get a bluescreen or there'd at least be some logs made about the crash. What you describe sounds more like the plug getting pulled, so I'd suspect some kind of power issue. Dunno how I'd go about troubleshooting that though.
I'd tried deleting the file mentioned and it did nothing to prevent the computer from restarting on its own. After it restarted it simply failed to boot into windows and then went right into startup repair and probably rolled by to before I deleted the file
Old 2013-09-21, 02:18   Link #9
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Oh yeah. Perhaps the PSU is failing?
Old 2013-09-21, 10:01   Link #10
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

What are the chances of this being a Windows related issue? The PSU I have, a COSAIR tx750 watter, is less then 5 years old and really shouldn't be failing if it is indeed the source of the problem. I do have a spare PSU lying around but its such a pain in the arse to plug it all in if it ends up justing being the windows installation that's at fault
Old 2013-09-23, 10:05   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you suspect Windows is the problem, download a copy of Ubuntu Linux and run it from the DVD.

Personally, I'd suspect the hardware more than Windows in this case.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 03:31   Link #12
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

You mentioned USB, I know it can make trouble. Because on my work notebook (Fujitsu Celsius H700) the USB caused sudden power cycles as well - the problem was something USB related on the motherboard was not working correctly but was being used by the BIOS. Something had to be changed in the BIOS to work around the problem.

If your case is similar, then Windows cannot write a crash dump or even bring a BSOD because the motherboard causes a hard power cycle. The before mentioned Windows settings would only work with soft power cycles triggered by Windows.