AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2015-03-30, 14:14   Link #161
monster

In addition to MKV, Windows 10 will have support for SSA, ASS, and SRT (UTF8 unformatted).

Source: https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/582581116919410690
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-31, 03:41   Link #162
Sacredus

Support like many usable players or "support" as it will just read them (showing them in arial without any effects that are in subs). Also, supporting MKV means nothing. This is just a container and actual movie file can be in HEVC and win10 will not be able to play it.

Last edited by Sacredus; 2015-03-31 at 06:21.
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-31, 12:20   Link #163
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredus View Post
Support like many usable players or "support" as it will just read them (showing them in arial without any effects that are in subs).
We'll see. Are the effects part of the formats? If they are, then that might make it more likely to be included.
Quote:
Also, supporting MKV means nothing. This is just a container and actual movie file can be in HEVC and win10 will not be able to play it.
It doesn't mean everything, but it doesn't mean nothing either. It means just what it means, support of the MKV container.
Old 2015-03-31, 12:56   Link #164
sneaker

Windows 10 does support HEVC in mkv out-of-the-box AFAIK, btw.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-31, 14:34   Link #165
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
Windows 10 does support HEVC in mkv out-of-the-box AFAIK, btw.
Apparently so:
Quote:
Native MKV support:

Some of you have noticed that Build 9860 brought native support for the MKV file format. In Build 9879, we’re making the experience “more complete”. You can now play MKV files directly from Windows Media Player (as well as other desktop and modern apps), MKV files will show thumbnails and metadata in File Explorer, support for DLNA and Play To scenarios has been added, and more. We recently brought MKV support to the Xbox One. We also added platform support for H.265 HEVC for Windows 10 as well, and we’re not done here yet. More news to come on this later.
Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...sider-program/
Old 2015-05-01, 04:20   Link #166
IceHism

Support for iOS and android apps via recompilation into universal apps is pretty cool

Edge is looking to be a good browser, I really need something to get away from ram-killer chrome and edge should load things faster than Firefox while having easy to port add-ons.

Visual studio letting me code for 3 platforms is great

I'm also getting a surface 3 soon so seeing the tablet layout was nice. I like it

I hope the backend code is an even bigger improvement than going from 7->8.1

Hololens is pretty awesome. I'm sure many people will use it for "science" but we are probably far from having one for regular consumers
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-01, 05:59   Link #167
monster

.NET and Win32 apps will also be available in the Windows Store, with the promise of clean uninstalls.
Old 2015-05-13, 13:06   Link #168
monster

Introducing Windows 10 Editions
Old 2015-05-15, 16:35   Link #169
monster

Genuine Windows and Windows 10
Quote:
With Windows 10, we have extended an offer to our Genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Once a customer upgrades, they will continue to receive ongoing Windows innovation and security updates for free, for the supported lifetime of that device.

These customers purchased their Genuine Windows license from our valued OEM partners, which ensures Windows is properly installed, licensed, and not tampered with.

When we can’t verify that Windows is properly installed, licensed, and not tampered with, we create a desktop watermark to notify the user.

Non-Genuine Windows is not supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner.

with Windows 10, we would like all of our customers to move forward with us together. While our free offer to upgrade to Windows 10 will not apply to Non-Genuine Windows devices, and as we’ve always done, we will continue to offer Windows 10 to customers running devices in a Non-Genuine state. In addition, in partnership with some of our valued OEM partners, we are planning very attractive Windows 10 upgrade offers for their customers running one of their older devices in a Non-Genuine state.
In other words, and perhaps as to be expected, nothing's changed in terms of licensing. Microsoft isn't giving away free Windows licenses to end users, just free upgrades for licensed Windows devices to end users in the first year of availability.
Old 2015-05-16, 15:48   Link #170
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Just to clarify, this offer is only available for one year after its launch? And once we get it, we can keep it forever and ever?
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-16, 19:08   Link #171
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Just to clarify, this offer is only available for one year after its launch? And once we get it, we can keep it forever and ever?
Yes, and it would be kept updated for free too.

Although, as it's supposed to be an upgrade, there might not be an official ISO. If that's the case, some kind of a system backup should be made just in case a reinstall is needed.
Old 2015-05-16, 19:30   Link #172
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm always amused that Microsoft continues to try and make money off the razors as well as the blades while the rest of the world moves on to free everything. Other than tax programs and the very occasional game, I haven't paid a penny for software in over a decade. But then I use Linux and Android.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-16, 19:38   Link #173
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm always amused that Microsoft continues to try and make money off the razors as well as the blades while the rest of the world moves on to free everything. Other than tax programs and the very occasional game, I haven't paid a penny for software in over a decade. But then I use Linux and Android.
?? The majority of users are technology illiterate and windows runs on 93% of all Desktops/laptop. You'll confuse everyone if you told them to start using Linux. Android isnt different from Microsoft. Only you are giving money to google, their OEMs, and carriers.

You can't even call the android you are getting open source since google play services are closed and costed money from the OEMS and carriers.

I'm pretty sure microsoft target tech enthusiasts, businesses, developers, and the computer illiterate. Aka the people who pay.

Last edited by IceHism; 2015-05-16 at 20:06.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-16, 19:47   Link #174
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
You can be sure that somebody somewhere is paying for Linux and Android, even if it's not the end user, although I would say that the end user is paying for Android when they pay for the phone and anytime they pay for a phone upgrade.

By the way, what would be the razor and what would be the blade? Microsoft is only charging for a Windows license.
Old 2015-05-17, 08:24   Link #175
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Razor = Windows
Blades = Office
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-17, 09:19   Link #176
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Ironically enough, SeijiSensei, every time you buy an Android device, you actually wire some of your money to Microsoft, especially if you're buying a new Samsung, HTC, Acer or LG mobile device. Why? Because of royalties Google reportedly owes to Microsoft for using some of their patents without permission (27 of them according to this source).

Most of the top-tier manufacturers, who are actually the ones paying the bill rather than Google, have already signed patent licensing agreements with Microsoft to avoid lengthy legal battles, thus giving the Redmond company an additional source of revenue every time someone pays for a device running Android (between $1 and $5 per device, depending on the manufacturer). Some of those taken to court disagreed with the claim and were/are fighting back, but Samsung recently decided to bury the hatchet and compelled Microsoft to drop the court case against them and reduce the royalties in exchange for bundling MS apps (Office, Skype) with the new generation of Galaxy devices (starting with the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge).

So, nope, you actually did pay (at least) a penny to MS without realizing it.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2015-05-17 at 09:29.
Renegade334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-17, 14:46   Link #177
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Because of royalties Google reportedly owes to Microsoft
As I understand it, Google doesn't owe Microsoft any royalty because they are giving Android away for free in the form of AOSP. It's the manufacturers that are selling Android devices that would owe any royalty. That's why Microsoft goes after these manufacturers, not Google.
Old 2015-05-23, 21:22   Link #178
AnimeFan188

With build 10122, Windows 10 finally starts coming together:

"With the most recent Windows 10 preview release, Microsoft made a big jump in
build numbers, going from 10074 to 10122. And now that the initial issues with AMD
graphics adapters appear to have been resolved (check Windows Update), the
just-released build 10122 has a lot to recommend it."

See:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/with-bu...ming-together/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-25, 21:35   Link #179
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Well, considering that I'm not going to spend money on Win7/8 when 10 is on the horizon (I want the physical media of win10), I'm currently running 10122 TP.

So far so good? Only hiccup I have is that Elite Dangerous keeps crashing, but all my other games are fine. Runs quicker overall, but I dunno if that's because I upgraded my comp, or starting to use an SSD now, or its Win 10 itself (or a combination of the above), I dunno.

Project Spartan is a bitch though. It's yet another Chrome clone (Oh how I hate how Opera changed to be one too), but with much less features. I dunno if there's an option somewhere (surely its not in settings), but as a stream watcher with subs to CR and Funi, one thing I'm REALLY annoyed at is full screening a video just maximizes the video to the size of the window. So you've got the title bars and the bottom tool bar still there distracting you from the video...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-26, 05:36   Link #180
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Project Spartan is a bitch though. It's yet another Chrome clone (Oh how I hate how Opera changed to be one too), but with much less features. I dunno if there's an option somewhere (surely its not in settings), but as a stream watcher with subs to CR and Funi, one thing I'm REALLY annoyed at is full screening a video just maximizes the video to the size of the window. So you've got the title bars and the bottom tool bar still there distracting you from the video...
I actually like that behavior because I have other things to monitor on the screen, but feel free to give your feedback using the feedback app.