AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-01-23, 16:36   Link #281
Sodagod
Nightcrawler
*Artist

Do you acknowledge the existence of the Biblical god or god as a higher being in general?
Old 2008-01-23, 17:00   Link #282
Rookie103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodagod View Post
Do you acknowledge the existence of the Biblical god or god as a higher being in general?
I haven't read the bible and I don't consider myself as a hardcore believer either, I just believe in the existince of someone/something with greater power than a human being.
Rookie103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 17:03   Link #283
JustInn14
moo

Fine Fine. I beleive in Giant Hairy Caterpillars, and Haruhi. XP

Seriously, I used to be a Lutheran. A horrible Church school pretty much blew that faith.
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 17:21   Link #284
Sodagod
Nightcrawler
*Artist

->Rookie103
Actually that could be religion as well (maybe it even is, I'm just too lazy to search)

And for me, the Church is a major letdown in general.

Last edited by Sodagod; 2008-01-23 at 17:21. Reason: Flammable.
Sodagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 17:50   Link #285
Rookie103

Religion is the cause of most wars and the centre of most conflict.

Apart from the buddists, they're just sitting back and say nothing. Smart move.
Old 2008-01-23, 19:23   Link #286
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie103 View Post
I haven't read the bible and I don't consider myself as a hardcore believer either, I just believe in the existince of someone/something with greater power than a human being.
Traditionally, that's referred to as Deism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism

You might find it interesting to read the Wiki... Most of the core members of the Founding Fathers of the United States were Deists with varying degrees of skepticism towards organized religion. Basically, modern deism postulates some Greater Power that got everything rolling but is basically uninvolved in "local affairs".
Old 2008-01-24, 05:58   Link #287
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie103 View Post
Religion is the cause of most wars and the centre of most conflict.
Apart from the buddists, they're just sitting back and say nothing. Smart move.
The Buddhists have also done their share of evil. In Tokugawa Japan, when Buddhism was state religion, they also oppressed the population. When emperor Meiji reinstored Shinto as state religion, a lot of Buddhist temples and convents got plundered by that same oppressed population... not that they were happier with the new autocratic regime, but it illustrates well that they aren't any different from the other religions...
But apart from that I still tend to think Buddhism is the more moderate and peaceful of all compared to the other world religion's history.
I believe in nothing except scientific facts and laws of nature. No divine intervention or being for me!
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 08:55   Link #288
Miss Flashheart

I don't believe in anything myself, but I am accepting of others following religion. For example, my boyfriend is a pagan, and has tried to get me interested, but I just don't really care for it, yet I still don't mind at all when he does his rituals in the house. So long as nobody forces me to be involved in religion, I don't really care otherwise.
Miss Flashheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 11:37   Link #289
Sodagod
Nightcrawler
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoran View Post
The Buddhists have also done their share of evil. In Tokugawa Japan, when Buddhism was state religion, they also oppressed the population. When emperor Meiji reinstored Shinto as state religion, a lot of Buddhist temples and convents got plundered by that same oppressed population... not that they were happier with the new autocratic regime, but it illustrates well that they aren't any different from the other religions...
But apart from that I still tend to think Buddhism is the more moderate and peaceful of all compared to the other world religion's history.
I believe in nothing except scientific facts and laws of nature. No divine intervention or being for me!
Well, nobody's perfect. However they have been nominated for Nobel Peace Prize for their peaceful response to China's actions against Tibet over the last 60(?) years, so they pretty much do sit back and say nothing. Besides, the oppression you mentioned still pales in comparison with, for instance, The Holy Crusades.
Old 2008-01-24, 12:58   Link #290
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
mm, after checking out the wiki article, i'd say i'm catholic leaning a bit toward deism.
aka Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 13:49   Link #291
Rookie103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

You might find it interesting to read the Wiki... Most of the core members of the Founding Fathers of the United States were Deists with varying degrees of skepticism towards organized religion. Basically, modern deism postulates some Greater Power that got everything rolling but is basically uninvolved in "local affairs".
I think the only thing I've used Wiki for in the past year is to find out some more infomation on 'Nice Boat'. Interesting find. I'll check that later.
Old 2008-02-15, 19:02   Link #292
Gemstar
Banned

Religion can be bad and religion can be bad. But sometimes when good it can seem bad and sometimes when bad it can seem good. To whomever you speak to it will relate to that person on whichever side. How will you know as someone new to this world whether to adopt religion or not. As a newborn you've no religion, but further down in life is it compulsory ? Religion is here for a reason as well as the people who oppose it.
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 19:09   Link #293
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

I've always been of the opinion that religion in general is a bunch of different people trying to rationalize their existence. I sort of look at it from a third person perspective, like a passerby watching a bum fight.
Old 2008-02-15, 19:49   Link #294
Archontic
Power of the Damager

Send a message via AIM to Archontic Send a message via MSN to Archontic
I'm Absolute Agnostic, because I'm sick of hearing about religion.
Archontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 19:49   Link #295
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Deism is one of the few religions that is most likely a lot more popular then it seems, simply because alot of deists don't actually realize that they are deists.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 19:51   Link #296
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougi Shiki View Post
I've always been of the opinion that religion in general is a bunch of different people trying to rationalize their existence. I sort of look at it from a third person perspective, like a passerby watching a bum fight.
I enjoyed reading this one.

A +rep for you.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 02:06   Link #297
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Well I'm a Determinist.

I believe that acts of will, natural occurances, social or psychological phenomena are determined by preceding events or natural laws.

To put it in simpler terms, I believe the reason the Universe exists is because humans are here to observe it.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 02:11   Link #298
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archontic View Post
I agree with the bold portion. I'm not so much sick of hearing about religion, as I am about seeing people who attempt to abuse their faith in the hopes that they can "save their souls." There's too many hypocrites out there, leading faux-religious lives, because they think if they act religious, they'll get into heaven. It seems like lots of religious people forget that God is always watching, not only when you go to church.
Old 2008-02-16, 02:18   Link #299
Archontic
Power of the Damager

Send a message via AIM to Archontic Send a message via MSN to Archontic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quzor View Post
I agree with the bold portion. I'm not so much sick of hearing about religion, as I am about seeing people who attempt to abuse their faith in the hopes that they can "save their souls." There's too many hypocrites out there, leading faux-religious lives, because they think if they act religious, they'll get into heaven. It seems like lots of religious people forget that God is always watching, not only when you go to church.
In my case, it's the fact that people argue and give a shit about which faith everyone else is into. I want everyone to just quit bitching about it and, if not accept each other, at least tolerate each other. People were actually considering changing their votes because of that rumor about Obama being Muslim. What the fuck is that? That's what attracts me to Sufism so much. I live by Sufi principles, but I'm not a practicer, so I can't say that I'm Sufi. I'm probably too vulgar, anyways..
Archontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 10:25   Link #300
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archontic View Post
mm, not sure if i get what you mean by 'absolute agnostic'. being agnostic means you are skceptical of an existence of a higher being. which means you question it, or at the very least you are waiting for proof that a god exists. you're definition of an absolute agnostic sounds like you don't want to believe in it -- so i think atheist better suits you.

or something like that. i'm just posting this as an observation -- just my way of passing the time.
aka Providence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion