AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2007-09-04, 20:49   Link #1
Gabest1

Never7 translation

I really liked ever17 and thought it would be fun to play the other two similar games from KID, never7 and remember11, though it seems only never7 exits for the pc. Since I cannot read japanese, I grabbed idapro and a hex viewer, and after a few days I managed to extract the script. Now, if only someone could help translating it. Or any pointers to where to find volunteers are also welcome.

If a walkthrough exits with the english translation of the dialogs, that would be also fine, gamefaqs doesn't seem to have any.

UPDATE:

Utils to unpack and repack script.dat (with source):
http://guliverkli.sf.net/never7.zip

- to unpack: never7dec <.dat> <dir>
- to repack (make a backup first!): never7enc <dir> <.dat>

The opening script:
http://guliverkli.sf.net/op.png

The text must be entered as japanese full-width alphanumeric! (the script format is constucted so that bytes without the msb bit are interpreted as control codes, ascii will never work, quite interesting that the title is never7 too...)

The numbers you can see between {..} are:

- 0: end dialog (?)
- 1: line break
- 2: wait user input
- 3: clear
- 4: some kind of delay
- 5: new dialog + fg/bg colors
- 11: answer selection
- 12: unknown

These codes should be left alone, only line breaks need to be changed, in case the translated text is too long to fit.

Last edited by Gabest1; 2008-02-10 at 08:28.
Gabest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 14:43   Link #2
dsp2003

AnimED, from http://sl.criminalrussia.ru/dsp2003/animed.php, is an Open Source Windows GUI application and was originally created for making the russian translation of the Ever17. It extracts\creates KID Engine LiNK (.DAT) archives, WAF (cannot decode compressed files with LND header yet) audio, PRT (decompressed .CPS) graphics. It can also split KID Engine SCR files into several hundreds of chunks and merge them back.

---

I've decoded the SC3 format. It's uses internal text sections table (almostly looks like simplified LNK (DAT) format). When you're editing the text, the string jumping offsets changes the positions. That's the cause of edited script.dat non-working. So, it's necessary to RECALCULATE every jump table entry. My tool is able to do so (i didn't wrote the normal compiler\decompiler, so you must do chunks export, edit them in HEX editor one-by-one and only then import them back). It's simplier than my ugly english.

---

NOTE: In order to edit Never7 or Memories Off Series SCR files, you MUST decompress them. The further recompression is not necessary.

Last edited by dsp2003; 2009-11-09 at 02:36. Reason: Update
dsp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 17:24   Link #3
Elvin

Are you still interested in doing this? I recently downloaded the anime games text hooker which i can use to change kanji into romaji so i might be able to translate a good deal with it with my 5-year old's level of understanding of japanese
Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 20:36   Link #4
harukamae
だんご大家族の一人

Send a message via MSN to harukamae
Yeah I wouldn't mind helping as well. I loved Ever17 and am waiting for my friend to finish with Never7. If you are still interested, please let me know!
harukamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 08:02   Link #5
Gabest1

I haven't got any response for so long, already forgotten about it, but now I just noticed visual-novels.net lists my two topics here and at visualnews.net as the translation project for never7. Anyway, I can upload the program to unpack/repack of course. Check first post for it in a few minutes.
Old 2008-02-11, 06:18   Link #6
dsp2003

Current opcode definition table (taken from AnimED's source comments):

{0} - end of string, end of table entry, end of item
{1} - is an "Enter" byte
{2} - marks text string as skipable by player. Used together with {3}
{3} - is an "Wait for player's click" byte
{12} - marks text string as unskipable by player (sometimes game freezes >_<). Used together with {3}
{14} - displays new text window
{4 & 5}- text color opcode, full size equals to 4 bytes (5:x:x)+#0 (#0 is ignored during decompilation, but must be regenerated
{13} - is a voice file identifier
{11} - is a choise branch
{16} - appends new string to previous (16:x) }

P.S. See my previous message up there.
dsp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 02:06   Link #7
Gabest1

Ever17 uses a bit different file format. I debugged never7 with idapro and I'm sure about 2 and 3 (not swapped). There are no other codes used in the whole script file, other than what I listed. Code 4 is interesting, the game could interpret it several ways depending on the following bytes, but for text it always looks to be a delay. It is used in the very first line, on the screenshot, to delay the appearance of the two triple dot characters (...).
Old 2011-02-22, 23:37   Link #8
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
A new translation project has started and is making good progress, but we need translation checkers / proofreaders. Anybody willing to help, please contact me.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 23:41   Link #9
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Same here, if anyone can help me and Roger out with the translation, give us a PM.

To elaborate, while I'm good enough to do the Initial Translation of Never7, there are quite a few weak points I have throughout the translation, so if someone out there is an expert in Japanese/good a proofreading, please help us out.
GundamAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 05:42   Link #10
Seitsuki
Onee!

I do believe there are quite a few proficient native speakers over in the general thread who should be able to help out with any sentences you find too hard. They've been very good to me whenever I posted for help for FA in any case.
Old 2011-10-03, 18:56   Link #11
rogerpepitone

Until October 10th, Never7 is available for free, legal download at a site called Game Liner. For those of you who want to get their copies legally while waiting for the patch, now is the time.

Just go to the link below and click the yellow button on the page to download.

http://www.gameliner.jp/campaign_never7.html
Old 2011-10-04, 21:27   Link #12
Shiro Kaisen

Note: this downloaded version doesn't come with BGM of any kind.
Shiro Kaisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 21:39   Link #13
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiro Kaisen View Post
Note: this downloaded version doesn't come with BGM of any kind.
The translation patch will have a way around that.
Old 2012-01-22, 12:59   Link #14
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Announcement: we will be releasing a partial patch on April 1st that translates the Common Route and all of the heroines' events through Days 1-4.

There's also some differences between the patch and the original, so if you're curious, check out the project page for more details.
Old 2012-03-30, 22:32   Link #15
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

The Teaser Patch will be released tomorrow at 8:17 P.M. EST. Since the last time I posted here, we've decided to include Yuka's Route with the patch.
Old 2012-03-31, 19:30   Link #16
rogerpepitone

Teaser Patch is out!
Old 2012-03-31, 20:29   Link #17
battlerwright

I had the download version and installed it, as well as the patch, but I'm not sure how to install the music. The music download on the site has the ogg files but where do we put those? I looked in my Remember11 folder for comparison and noticed there was no folder of ogg's so they must be installed in there somehow. Do you have to put the ogg's somewhere before installing the game?

Also, which .exe am I supposed to use? The CD one says I need to cd for music, but what is the Never7 English_OGG.exe for? When I try to use that, it gives the message "The program can't start because libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." I tried reinstalling the whole thing and it still does this.

Lastly, when I try to run the game in fullscreen mode, it won't start up (it works in windowed mode). I'm assuming this is something wrong with my computer settings, but does anyone have any idea how to fix that?
battlerwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 20:36   Link #18
rogerpepitone

1) Uncompress the zip to the Never7 folder. (That is, the .track file and the ost/ directory should be in the same directory as Never7_win3d.exe.)

2) Never7_English_Ogg.exe will play the .ogg files instead of requiring a CD. Unfortunately, I'll need to compile things slightly differently. Hold on.

3) My computer doesn't like playing N7 in fullscreen mode, either, sorry.
Old 2012-03-31, 20:44   Link #19
battlerwright

alright, I put the .track file and the NEVER7 PSP folder which contains all the ogg's into the same directory as the .exe files. Is that done right? Also, the OGG.exe is still giving the same error. Where is the libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll file supposed to come from? Is it from the game or the patch?
battlerwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 20:48   Link #20
rogerpepitone

Check your private messages.