AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-07-07, 00:38   Link #21
Alchemist007
*Author

It's been a looong time since I've seen the original anime but it seems like Kaoru might be less grouchy this time around?

I think Kenshin himself looks fine, but she her...brighter eyes, brighter skin, darker hair. Quite a changeup.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2023-07-07, 03:20   Link #22
anime fan99

the biggest different I noticed that Kenshin didn't damage the fake Battōsai sword hand like he did in 90s anime
Old 2023-07-07, 03:33   Link #23
Amarantine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I don't see the point of the remake (other than for the sake of a remake) if they don't finally adapt the Jinchu arc.
Definitely. It's just that after 25 years of neglect (and a couple of mediocre OVAs), us Kenshin fans are kind of traumatized to the point that it's still hard to believe it seems to be finally happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumcyclonex View Post
So this is a remake/retelling of the story?
Yes, it's a full remake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime fan99 View Post
the biggest different I noticed that Kenshin didn't damage the fake Battōsai sword hand like he did in 90s anime
Yeah, that was significant, but it was hardly the single biggest difference considering the fake Battousai didn't even have an older brother in the 1996 adaptation.
Amarantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-07, 03:39   Link #24
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I see they're subscribing to the Urusei Yatsura logic of casting a high profile seiyuu for practically every character, even the bit parts. I didn't realize that was Wataru Takagi though .
As a Conan fan, it's cool to see he's considered high profile since I haven't really paid attention to him outside of his role as... Takagi Wataru.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-07, 06:36   Link #25
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I know this manga like the palm of the hand but I gotta say I was mindblown by the way the anime adapted it this time. It felt like the liveaction where they toned down the humor a lot, making less slaptick than in previous version in favor of more effective talks. The relationship between Kenshin and Kaoru seems more legit too considering they didn't need to overreact every single minute about a joke aimed towards the shonen demography. Same with the violence that was toned down in the 90s. Not a fan of the opening but the ending song fits well.
Old 2023-07-07, 06:40   Link #26
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
I know this manga like the palm of the hand but I gotta say I was mindblown by the way the anime adapted it this time. It felt like the liveaction where they toned down the humor a lot, making less slaptick than in previous version in favor of more effective talks. The relationship between Kenshin and Kaoru seems more legit too considering they didn't need to overreact every single minute about a joke aimed towards the shonen demography. Same with the violence that was toned down in the 90s. Not a fan of the opening but the ending song fits well.
Agree with every part of that (including the OP and ED).
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-07, 07:29   Link #27
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Judging by the preview they are not showing Yamagata's chapter so they are trying to be careful with the four main characters at least. If they keep the momentum with this anime, I'd say it could easily surpass the original.

Spoiler for Yamagata and Katsura:
Old 2023-07-07, 07:43   Link #28
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
And what a difference that change makes. I ended up this episode finding Kaoru rather endearing while my memories of the old show are mostly of her being incredibly annoying through most of the early parts of the story
Old 2023-07-07, 07:48   Link #29
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I have to ask... do all subs of this remake also attempt to make a literal translation of Kenshin's speech mannerisms? All the subs I've seen seem to do so.

And yes, I like the fact that the slapstick has been toned down and given its less intrusive place.

Also... who voiced Okita?

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2023-07-07 at 08:13.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-07, 08:28   Link #30
Amarantine

Quote:
Yeah, the director had mentioned they would be taking that approach in a recent interview. I think they were able to strike a nice balance, where you still had gags like the one about Kenshin's age at the end, but without the excessive slapstick of the first adaptation. I agree with Dextro that this change benefitted Kaoru's character in particular.

But I'm more excited about the lack of censorship (which makes sense since this version airs at 1 AM in Japan), as it means that this time we'll probably see certain particularly violent scenes that were entirely cut from the 1996 adaptation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
You made me go check and wow, that was Soichiro Hoshi, can't believe I missed it! Add another minor character with a high profile seiyuu to the list. Interestingly, just like Kenshin, he was voiced by a female seiyuu in the original anime, but they also went with a male seiyuu for him this time.
Amarantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-07, 08:29   Link #31
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I have to ask... do all subs of this remake also attempt to make a literal translation of Kenshin's speech mannerisms? All the subs I've seen seem to do so.

And yes, I like the fact that the slapstick has been toned down and given its less intrusive place.

The great Hoshi Souichirou.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-07, 08:35   Link #32
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Hah no wonder I thought I heard Persona 5's Goro Akechi a little bit from that.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-07, 09:50   Link #33
zztop

Quote:
Speaking of the liveaction version, would it be OK for me to discuss how the director and his team did their take on the source manga (characters, setting locations, costuming, etc.) and get opinions if they got it right/wrong/otherwise?

For example,
Spoiler for liveaction clothing:
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-07, 10:12   Link #34
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I'll just say, I thought it was excellent. Great animation, a lot more faithful to the source...

And then the point that a lot of folks don't like: yes, the original OP Freckles IS iconic, but I like this new OP as well. Probably because it gave me some Samurai Champloo vibes, and you're kidding yourself if you don't think Samurai Champloo isn't almost legendary at this point.

I haven't kept up with seasonal anime in a loooooooooong, loooooooooong time... but for RK, I think I'm going to do it. It also helps that I know the story, so no need to worry about unknown overly-dramatic cliffhangers making me become anxious.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-07, 10:47   Link #35
zeross87

the only part i was disapointed in (appart for the OP) is combat animation still being glorified still shots. i hope more important combat will be fully animated.
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-07, 11:41   Link #36
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
For example,
Spoiler for liveaction clothing:
I like this change and I've heard lots positives about the live action movies, might have to check them out one day.
Old 2023-07-07, 12:00   Link #37
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantine View Post
Yeah, the director had mentioned they would be taking that approach in a recent interview. I think they were able to strike a nice balance, where you still had gags like the one about Kenshin's age at the end, but without the excessive slapstick of the first adaptation. I agree with Dextro that this change benefitted Kaoru's character in particular.
Must be why I like this characterization of Kaoru more already. Will need more eps to confirm though.
Old 2023-07-07, 15:47   Link #38
ChronoReverse

Quote:
This is how I feel about it too. It takes the opportunity to discard some of the cruft and I think it'll be a lot less grating to a modern audience.

I didn't even realize it at first until the segment in the middle where Kaoru apologizes, then Kenshin checks her temperature. I'm pretty sure the old school gag would be a beating but here it's just a "hey!" and then more effective communication. I love it.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-07, 16:11   Link #39
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP24 View Post
Remakes are often more faithful to the source material
Not really surprising. Original runs have to space with fillers to keep pace with the manga adaption. With the manga completed they can just adapt the content in a remake
Old 2023-07-07, 17:36   Link #40
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
Not really surprising. Original runs have to space with fillers to keep pace with the manga adaption. With the manga completed they can just adapt the content in a remake
If only they made anime of sources that are either complete or almost complete, we wouldn't need 'brotherhoods.'