AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-06, 04:47   Link #681
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

You mean Hikari, right? I always thought she was spark-less, myself - even in the J-drama (while I loved Satomi Ishihara, Yui Ichikawa seemed too stone-faced in her portrayal of the main girl).
I preferred poor Koga, because she knew what she wanted and actually went for it.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 05:19   Link #682
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
You mean Hikari, right? I always thought she was spark-less, myself - even in the J-drama (while I loved Satomi Ishihara, Yui Ichikawa seemed too stone-faced in her portrayal of the main girl).
I preferred poor Koga, because she knew what she wanted and actually went for it.
Nope, the other girl was far less significant... they could have done the series without her... I mean seriously, it's pretty much all about the Hiro/Hikari/Hideo drama...

As for J-dramas, I can't stand them... especially manga/anime adaptations of them...
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 06:09   Link #683
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Then, we couldn't disagree more. I felt the whole story of H2 was about Hiro really letting go of Hikari and opening up to Koga. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

As for the J-drama thing... this was the first and only one I've ever seen. It was actually quite good, I thought.

Old 2009-08-06, 06:37   Link #684
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Then, we couldn't disagree more. I felt the whole story of H2 was about Hiro really letting go of Hikari and opening up to Koga.
I dunno, it just bugged me. They used the line "A story about two heroes and two heroines..." a bunch of times and it just didn't feel like Koga was a heroine at all (more like a side character)... while the Hiro/Hikari/Hideo relationship felt like the real meat of the story.
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 18:23   Link #685
SagaraSouske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
I believe that his popularity is pretty much confined within Japan. CG was my first exposure to Adachi and I have never seen his name pop-up over the 6~ years I've spent watching anime/reading anime-related forums, till now.
I think that is more because you kinda have to know about Japanese culture in general to get the full appreciation of his works. A lot of nuisances will not be picked up unless you have some inkling of the language as well.
SagaraSouske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 19:07   Link #686
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagaraSouske View Post
I think that is more because you kinda have to know about Japanese culture in general to get the full appreciation of his works. A lot of nuisances will not be picked up unless you have some inkling of the language as well.
Is any of his manga even licensed for english NA distribution? It's much harder to get exposure if no one's publishing the manga over here. Cross Game was my first actual experiance with his work after I saw the first episode of anime. I know CG is being distributed in French though.
Old 2009-08-06, 19:07   Link #687
Theowne
耳をすませば

I know that Touch is not available in English, and I had to import the Japanese editions. Shame....

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 00:04   Link #688
4Tran

Can someone explain to me why I'm reading about stuff that is in the manga, but not the anime yet in this thread? There is a perfectly serviceable Cross Game manga thread for that kind of discussion.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:42   Link #689
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Can someone explain to me why I'm reading about stuff that is in the manga, but not the anime yet in this thread? There is a perfectly serviceable Cross Game manga thread for that kind of discussion.
Well I think its because it branched off of the next episode discussion as we were discussing the next element in the plot and the relative merits of certain characters, I guess we just got carried away in our enthusiasm. But I'll shut up now before I dig myself into an even deeper hole. Have a nice day.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 02:45   Link #690
jpwong

Well, I just got my copy of DVD1 today and it has a whole segment on it with the VAs I think. I don't think I can recommend it for anything other than that though. When you put the actual episodes up next to what we're getting from HDTV source, the DVD looks fuzzy and unfocused.

It does come with a cross game post card, some sort of mail in form that looks like you can get artwork if you buy more DVDs and a small package containing a single Clover drink coaster and a Batting machine token.

Other than that, I'm kind of surprised they didn't include a textless opening video on it (that I could find).
Old 2009-08-07, 03:37   Link #691
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
Well, I just got my copy of DVD1 today and it has a whole segment on it with the VAs I think. I don't think I can recommend it for anything other than that though. When you put the actual episodes up next to what we're getting from HDTV source, the DVD looks fuzzy and unfocused.

It does come with a cross game post card, some sort of mail in form that looks like you can get artwork if you buy more DVDs and a small package containing a single Clover drink coaster and a Batting machine token.

Other than that, I'm kind of surprised they didn't include a textless opening video on it (that I could find).
so the stuff we are getting is better than the DVD. that doesn't surprise me much. I guess it is good to support shows likes this. Too bad this show chances of being licensed are so small.
they should have included the textless op and ed.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 07:58   Link #692
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post

I've got it too. Though it is not as good as HDTV, it is not fuzzy and unfocused.
Old 2009-08-07, 08:19   Link #693
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
I've got it too. Though it is not as good as HDTV, it is not fuzzy and unfocused.
I'm not saying that it's pure crap or anything, but if you play the DVD side by side against the HD raws or subs, it just give the impression of being fuzzy and all because the HD source looks so sharp by comparisson. I'm sure that if I were to compare it against some of the other Japanese anime DVDs I have it would look fine. But it's really sort of like when you go into those TV stores that are playing the video on the TVs that show half the TV in HD and half the TV in SD.
Old 2009-08-07, 09:20   Link #694
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Hence, the difference in HD and SD. I bet that, if (or when) the series is released in Blu-Ray, the difference would tend towards the discs, then... At least, it's been true so far, for the shows I've been able to compare the two releases (Macross Frontier and K-On!).

Old 2009-08-07, 10:18   Link #695
jpwong

I'm actually surprised they haven't started releasing blu-ray discs, or at least announced them. I was originally planning on getting those since this is the first HD show that I wanted to get the japanese discs for. Is this typical behaviour?
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 10:45   Link #696
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Sometimes, yes, they only release DVD editions, even if the anime has HD exhibition. Out of the top of my head, I can think of Valkyria Chronicles, recently. And that's even animated by Aniplex, a Sony company... you'd think they'd want to promote their own format, right? But no, only DVD releases are scheduled, so far.

Old 2009-08-09, 02:49   Link #697
poko-kun

Watched 19

Mizuki Asami enters the scene
poko-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 03:34   Link #698
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

The HD raws do look upscaled from a lower resolution source to me. I'm not sure if the original animation is done in lower than HD resolutions or the copies sent out to the broadcasters are SD. But even if the raws aren't true HD and the broadcaster is upscaling the digital content, it will still look better than a DVD which is inherently bandwidth limited and relying on MPEG2 for compression (which has a hard time with low bitrates). The copies that the TV stations get, even if they aren't HD, are still miles better in picture quality than DVD. Even a show's Blu-ray Disc version played back as SD through the player's non-HD outputs (composite video, s-video, SD component) will look better than the DVD version due to the higher bitrate encoding for the Blu-ray source. Read enough Blu-ray Disc movie reviews and the general consensus is that even the most mediocre Blu-ray still has better video quality than the DVD (e.g. House of Flying Daggers).
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 10:08   Link #699
Free
Pro Procrastinator
*Fansubber

Spoiler for preview for epi20:
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 10:29   Link #700
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Romantic relationships between cousins of 1st to second degrees of consanguinity are remarkably acceptable in certain Asian countries, like Japan.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports