AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2023-07-10, 14:24   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1087 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

It's been a month, but we're finally back in business! What new developments await us now? Let's find out! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for the info:

-Chapter title is "Battleship Bag". Splash features Ace.

-The chapter begins at marine base G1, where Brannew shows Jango and Fullbody the wreckage of two battleships. These are referred to as "Battleship Bags", ships literally USED AS SANDBAGS by Garp to practice his punching. The second ship was actually used by Aokiji, and they had special rules in place for their training: NO use of haki or any other special abilities while punching the ships.

-The story takes us back to Hachinosu. Now Garp is taking on the rest of Blackbeard's commanders, not just Kuzan! SWORD has already rescued the prisoners and is now out on the coast.... leaving only Garp, Coby, Helmeppo, and Prince Grus behind to take on the pirate army. However, Garp soon tells the younger marines to escape as well, while he faces the enemies by himself! Suddenly, Coby sees who appears to be an innocent woman getting attacked, and rushes to her aid! However..... this was a trap! The woman was a pirate in disguise, and now Coby is a sitting duck for Shiryuu!

-Thankfully, Garp steps in and saves Coby, but at a great cost.... as he ends up getting stabbed by the commander. Coby apologizes for falling for the enemy's scheme, but Garp replies that this was Shiryuu's plan from the start. The rest of the pirates rush at Garp, saying that his Cross Guild bounty is worth "three crowns".... equivalent to 3 billion, which is also how much an admiral's head is worth. We then launch into a flashback, where a younger Garp agrees to train a young Kuzan. They both punch the battleships together, with Kuzan's fists becoming stronger and stronger! The two of them also become closer through their sessions, to the point that Garp rants about his family to him.....

-Back in the present, Kuzan, who recovered from Garp's earlier "Blue Hole" attack, covers his fists in ice and strikes at Garp! The clash between the two's haki-infused punches creates a huge explosion! Meanwhile, Avalo Pizarro uses his powers to create a pair of gigantic arms, and is prepared to destroy Garp's ship! The chapter ends with a wounded Garp laying on the ground, telling Coby not to panic, as justice will prevail....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2023-07-12 at 16:01.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-10, 15:22   Link #2
Galaxian

The powerscaler are going to feel this one...
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-10, 18:53   Link #3
Gerard07

One Piece is back!, regarding the spoilers, things look bad for Garp, but I don't think he'll die, I think he should see Luffy at least one more time before he dies (or at least I want to), well wait for more spoilers!.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-11, 18:31   Link #4
marvelB

Full summary's out, so I updated accordingly! Man, it's crazy learning how Garp trained in the past. So he basically developed literal fists of iron (maybe he should be called "Tekken" Garp? ). It's also nice to learn more of his past with Kuzan. I guess their past bond relates to the "favor" he mentioned way back during his first meeting with Luffy....

Anyway, no surprise that it took underhanded tactics to take down Garp, since I'm sure he would have obliterated Hachinosu otherwise. But the question is, if he gets defeated here, will Coby still be able to escape? And if so, how? I can't see Grus being too much help. unfortunately. But then again, wasn't Perona there to save Moria? Have those two managed to escape, yet....?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-12, 10:10   Link #5
Mazkoom

Send a message via MSN to Mazkoom
My favourite part was Garp's smile after wreaking havoc at the island. This guy loves to taunt pirates ��
Mazkoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-12, 10:30   Link #6
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Man, I had kind of forgotten about One Piece.

Anyway, this sounds like a cool chapter full of action. I'm sure Garp is far from done. Remember how much it took to kill Whitebeard? He's in the same league. Not to mention he's Luffy's grandpa, and I'm sure that just like him, he always gets back up.
Old 2023-07-12, 15:25   Link #7
Rainbowman

Was sort of hoping that Blackbeard would be Luffy’s opponent at some point but the way his crew is getting taken out, that potential is getting rather slim. I bet Blackbeard would cause an upset victory against Garp.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-13, 12:20   Link #8
Hoodspirit

Doesn't seem like the Marines will lose here, ship under attack, 3 still on the island with Garp's words preparing the interference from another force that will bail them out next chapter.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-13, 18:46   Link #9
Gerard07

Having seen the chapter, we saw a bit of Garp and Kuzan's relationship, Garp was injured for protecting Coby, SWORD saved the prisoners and they are fleeing, Pizarro seems to have quite a strong fruit because although he gives the impression of being the same that Pica seems to be more versatile (his strength may increase depending on the characteristics of the "island" he is on) and Garp saying that Justice will come out ahead, I wonder if he has an Az up his sleeve or someone will help them, Well wait for the next chapter!.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-13, 21:20   Link #10
grecefar

Yeah... I don't see garp dying here at all.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-14, 21:27   Link #11
electricmastro

The best justification I see Garp dying here would be to forward Koby's story, especially in light of his naivety. Might motivate him to step up more.
electricmastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-16, 10:26   Link #12
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
The best justification I see Garp dying here would be to forward Koby's story, especially in light of his naivety. Might motivate him to step up more.
Doubt it. Luffy will be devastated to hear Garp dies. The best is Garp will be captured, and the Navy and World Gov have to make a choice.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-16, 11:36   Link #13
electricmastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
Doubt it. Luffy will be devastated to hear Garp dies. The best is Garp will be captured, and the Navy and World Gov have to make a choice.
After Vivi’s dad got killed, it makes me suspect. I already admit that Luffy already has enough reason to hate on Blackbeard, but for Koby, I guess it really depends what Oda is trying to achieve here. If Koby doesn’t step up more after this, then it will really feel like a waste.
Old 2023-07-16, 18:11   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
After Vivi’s dad got killed, it makes me suspect. I already admit that Luffy already has enough reason to hate on Blackbeard, but for Koby, I guess it really depends what Oda is trying to achieve here. If Koby doesn’t step up more after this, then it will really feel like a waste.
Koby is such a massive disappointment. All these years, and begging pirates to stop doing bad things is still the best he can do. He was absolutely pathetic from start to finish in this chapter. The future of the Marines isn't looking bright.
Old 2023-07-16, 18:53   Link #15
electricmastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Koby is such a massive disappointment. All these years, and begging pirates to stop doing bad things is still the best he can do. He was absolutely pathetic from start to finish in this chapter. The future of the Marines isn't looking bright.
Still, I suppose he’ll still step up soon enough. He did say he wanted to become an Admiral and capture Alvida after all.
Old 2023-07-16, 20:57   Link #16
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Still, I suppose he’ll still step up soon enough. He did say he wanted to become an Admiral and capture Alvida after all.
That doesn't need to Garp to be killed. Vivi's dad was killed because of Gorosei, and once Vivi passes the information to Luffy, he knows what to do.

On the other hand, the different case if it was Garp since Luffy is related by blood. Garp always lets Luffy go, and even though he's serious, he always puts family first, proving that he allows Luffy to hit him at Marineford War.

Luffy holds a great amount of debt to Garp, albeit Garp shows harsh training when it comes to training him. Garp, nonetheless, succeeds in establishing Luffy to become who he is. If Garp was killed, Sabo and Luffy will definitely join hands together in taking down Blackbeard. Dragon may also be enraged since his father was killed by Blackbeard.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-17, 04:00   Link #17
electricmastro

So, the storyline with Koby being kidnapped basically started in Chapter 1059, which is part of the Egghead Arc, so I guess the closer we are to the storyline finishing with Koby and the others getting off Pirate Island, then the closer we'd be with ending the Egghead Arc altogether.