Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-06-09, 20:41   Link #1
pr0ject_2501
Shadow Star

Send a message via AIM to pr0ject_2501 Send a message via Yahoo to pr0ject_2501
Question Animation Shop 3

why can't I open .avi files with my Animation Shop 3 by Jasc Software?
I could before on a different/cheaper computer.
pr0ject_2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 02:21   Link #2
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0ject_2501
why can't I open .avi files with my Animation Shop 3 by Jasc Software?
I could before on a different/cheaper computer.
If you get a "cannot read video data" error, it's most likely because you are using ffdshow. Animation Shop uses vfw codecs so ffdshow won't work with it.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 02:56   Link #3
pr0ject_2501
Shadow Star

where could i get vfw?
Old 2004-06-10, 05:54   Link #4
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Well the question should be like this... "Where do I get codecs that actually work with vfw?" (video for windows, old 16bit media codec container/framework).
Nearly all the newer codecs use direct show the 32bit version of vfw, so I doubt you'll find many codecs that will work with your video/animation editing tool. Or you need to preconvert the file in a format which can be read with both direct show and vfw codecs/filters (i.e. indeo 4/plain true color).
Old 2004-06-10, 07:22   Link #5
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
I don't know if it is relevant, but VirtualDub refused to open files when I had ffdshow installed only. Installing Xvid (Koepi's Build) solved the problem. Why don't you try that?
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 08:58   Link #6
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin
Well the question should be like this... "Where do I get codecs that actually work with vfw?" (video for windows, old 16bit media codec container/framework).
Nearly all the newer codecs use direct show the 32bit version of vfw, so I doubt you'll find many codecs that will work with your video/animation editing tool. Or you need to preconvert the file in a format which can be read with both direct show and vfw codecs/filters (i.e. indeo 4/plain true color).
Cough. You would be wrong in this case. A large portion of codecs have both a vfw component (used by, for example, virtualdub) and a directshow decoder component (used by media players mostly). Also, vfw is definitely 32-bit (back in the old days of windows 3.11 it was 16-bit but it got revamped for W95.)

I guess I should have been a bit more elaborate in my first post: right now most "real" codecs for windows are vfw. Ffdshow is not a codec per se, it's a directshow decoding filter (newer versions also have a vfw encoding module)

Random vfw codecs:

Xvid
Divx
Windows Media 9
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 11:20   Link #7
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Hm yes I should have been better informed and a bit more exact in the formulation, so they still implement vfw, which is core 16 bit, means all what the framework/API supports is optimized for 16 bit processing (which is not necessarily bad). Bad is that Microsoft does not support vfw any longer (that was what I read in some article), but there are still many tools in use which use vfw (like for example Vdub). Afaik many codecs have/had strange bugs when used in vfw mode instead of direct show (i.e. blocking and stuff). I assume newer releases of codecs support vfw better now.
In the case of too many FourCC (4 character codes) = too many registered codecs or just one codec which doesn't work, the vfw will only load a part of all the codecs, to erase the malicious codec might solve the problem then. I had this on my PC too, so I deleted some unnecessary codecs in the registry and it got better. However, I prefer the direct show codec(part) instead of the vfw codec(part)... (except Xvid -koepi- <= equal)
Old 2004-06-11, 00:37   Link #8
pr0ject_2501
Shadow Star

Maybe an new animation program would be simpler to solve my problem.
Any suggestions on what I could get? Hopefully something that is free and downloadable.
Old 2004-09-18, 20:26   Link #9
Rico

I tried Koepi's Xvid, but when I rebooted and tried to open some frames of DearS, it didn't work on Animation Shop for some reason and gave me the same "cannot read video data" error.
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote