Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-06-25, 17:21   Link #1001
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
What am I looking at? Top 10 of what?

Episode 13 looks interesting...almost seems to have actual plot movement. Will know more when I can understand what all was said.
Top 10 BD. The DVD version ranked at #42.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 20:06   Link #1002
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Interesting.

It was good they had Sakamoto-san there for the Nano-Professor scene. The repeated names would have been bad over time if not for Sakamoto's reaction being that of the audience.
Old 2011-06-25, 23:28   Link #1003
Midonin
Last Engage

There may not be magic. We, without wings, cannot really pull a dove out of thin air or turn a magic wand into a bouquet. But there are things in life that make it worth it. Like succeeding on a test or being able to go to school. To stand against 風 and 風邪, with the power of heart. Yuuko apparently experiences her best moments in subtitled slow motion. Not a bad idea, if I say so myself.

Yuuko, Nano, forward, into the sun! Like that dove.

But on a less abstractly poetic note, there's one element of the show I haven't seen commented on much. Every episode has those interstitials that focus on a certain location - a set of streetlights, a food stand, and, in this episode a printer - showing it throughout the day, as a way to detail the passage of time. I feel these really embody the "daily life" element of the show, and are always quite beautifully drawn. Put them all together once the series is done, and you'd have a really nice artsy short film about daily life in a Japanese city, filtered through animation.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 01:18   Link #1004
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

A very different episode today written by Tatsuya Ishihara himself. Been a while since Kyoani had their own staff write the episode. The atmosphere is great, a nice set up for the second half of the series.

Nice to hear Ogata Megumi as a bunch of flags sneezed out by Yukko.

And for some reason, I really liked the Helvetica Standard today, just for the sheer "wtf".
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 03:55   Link #1005
Sides

Another great episode. Kind of funny that the Professor was so close to the loo,
Spoiler:
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 07:20   Link #1006
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

this week Hakase, Sakamoto, and the adorable Nano ruled this episode. Well the 80 marks scene is entertaining but nothing beats the 'family' feeling of the Shinonome household.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 08:42   Link #1007
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Didn't like this episode. Weakest episode of the series
Old 2011-06-26, 08:44   Link #1008
CWW
Lurker

They should just scrap the Professor & Co parts or at least not dedicate large portions of an episode to them. They prove week after week that they're no where near as funny as Yuuko & Co. They got four parts in episode 13 and none of them hit the funny bone. Yuuko on the other hand finally got something to celebrate and worked on Mio's collarbones like nobody's business, which prompted a what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-you reaction from Mio. Twice.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 10:20   Link #1009
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
A very different episode today written by Tatsuya Ishihara himself. Been a while since Kyoani had their own staff write the episode. The atmosphere is great, a nice set up for the second half of the series.
It explains a lot doesn't it? For some reason this particular episode seemed a lot more solid that all the others before it. Of course that's my opinion since I find that the Hakase/Nano/Sakamoto bits are miles above the rest of the show.

PS: we haven't had one of those rock-paper-scissors bits for a while hum?
Old 2011-06-26, 11:43   Link #1010
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Ya, Nano is going to school.
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 16:47   Link #1011
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Seems to be a divide in people that like one half the show's cast and others the other half of the cast.

That should be fixed next week.
Old 2011-06-26, 16:59   Link #1012
Midonin
Last Engage

I like both halves of the cast. Having only one of them would leave the world feeling unbalanced. Not to mention all the side characters. As it's been said, the small parts are to build up the big parts - and the big parts are to build up the small parts. There's a reason character relation maps look like spiderwebs.
Old 2011-06-26, 18:14   Link #1013
CWW
Lurker

Leave the world unbalanced? This isn't a video game. The cast is big enough to not focus a large portion of time to a select group of characters and this episode unfortunately had that in spades. The worst part is they just drag and drag and drag with no punchline in sight. It doesn't build character either since Professor & Co are just doing the same routine over and over again. The setting doesn't help since they just stay in their house and only occasionally go out to do mundane things like grocery shopping. At least the school cast have the dynamics to do some cool skits like deer wrestling and elevator death traps. Professor and Co are getting stale in comparison. Fortunately, they seem to have acknowledged it and introduced a twist in Nano going to school. We'll just have to wait and see if that changes the dynamics for the better.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 18:57   Link #1014
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
Leave the world unbalanced? This isn't a video game.
Character dynamics apply to everything. The low-key family relationships of the Shinonome Lab provide an emotional balance to the higher tension antics happening at school. I believe that an author puts characters in stories for a reason, and each of these trios must be considered not only in the context of themselves, but how they play against each other. Even though their interactions have been indirect since the series began, having both of them in the series builds a stronger world. Casts don't exist in a vacuum.
Old 2011-06-26, 18:59   Link #1015
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We will see.

There is presently a balance between humor and cute sections. Though sometimes the humor section is cute and the cute section has humor. The interation between Nano and the Professor us suppose to come off as cute with Sakamoto's reactions adding humor.

With Nano joining the rest at school, we will see how that changes the dynamic. Also we will see how that effects segements with Sakamoto and the Professor (the cute section, though without Nano it might be more a silly section than cute).

The sections will not have Mio and Yuuko with Nano and/or Mai. Or something completely different, as I've only been able to read less than a third of the manga up to this point.
Old 2011-06-27, 00:07   Link #1016
FateAnomaly

Why do some people still insist on thinking their favored segments are the only deserving parts of the show when it has been made clear that the different segments have their own fans. This is exactly what makes Nichijou well Nichijou.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 00:56   Link #1017
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroryoko1974 View Post
Didn't like this episode. Weakest episode of the series
Agreed, maybe next week will be better with Nano meeting Mio, Yuuko, Mai, and others I hope .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Why do some people still insist on thinking their favored segments are the only deserving parts of the show when it has been made clear that the different segments have their own fans. This is exactly what makes Nichijou well Nichijou.
My only issue is the Hakase/Nano/Sakamato with a few exceptions have been greatly similar to each other. And I've done so because someone else started posting about it >_>.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 03:43   Link #1018
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I sincerely believe that Nano in school will be awesome.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 05:25   Link #1019
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I reckon they will be shocked to fined out that everything is connected.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 07:52   Link #1020
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Thoughts on Nichijou so far:

As much as everyone grade an episode based on whether its funny or not, the order of importance in Nichijou goes like this:

Style
Puns
Cuteness
Comedy

The show is essentially a vehicle allowing viewers to observe the subtleties and woes in life with a condescending eye. There is a heavy emphasis on the visual side: we don't need to guess what a character might be thinking or feeling or what they mean when they say something because it always shows on their face. If it doesn't show on their face, their whole body has probably turned white, set on fire or launched into space. We are not suppose to empathize with these characters, and its just as well, since some of these sketches are very depressing.

The presentation in Nichijou is of the highest grade of pretentiousness. The show references old Nintendo consoles, Buddha, Nietzsche, Hand of God, Paul Gascoigne, Dostoevsky, South American soccer and wrestling, 20*log of root 10, "street king", NASA, among many others. Characters sports afros and mohawks, both of which are old-school youth culture symbols. There is a wide prevalence of the very old Helvatica Standard font, as the standard typeface for the show, as an surreal episodic segment emphasizing wordplay punchlines, and as a manga characters in the show reads. There are "short thoughts" that give out words worth pondering on. There are frequent appearances of dapper old men. There is a episodic segment literally named "Things we think are cool". These symbols give the skits a cynical feel. We notice these symbols and feel a growing sense of superiority over the characters in the show.

Production wise, Tatsuya Ishihara literally has us looking down on the characters most of the time like we're staring into a miniature garden. There are various eyecatches that exudes an abstract feeling using kitchen utensils or stationary. The animation is of course, fluid and gorgeous to turn the most absurd things into an animated reality. The cartoonish character designs makes it easier for us to laugh at the characters and their misfortunes. Yuuji Nomi's neo-classical soundtrack is airy, whimsical, and playful, matching the show's rhythm as it toys with its characters. To top it off, Kyoani runs Nichijou with a fairly inexperienced voice cast, yet allows retired veteran seiyuus to grace the episode previews for two or three lines as one of the more absurd inanimate objects that appeared in the episode. Could this be because Kyoani thinks these respected voice actors are too good to be playing these tortured characters in the show, and thought it'd give them more self respect to play an wooden cube, or an USB toe?

I don't think the jokes are always funny in Nichijou, but the way that Kyoani presents the daily nuances of life is always entertaining. They've put a lot of effort into this series and it shows. A lot of people went into this show expecting to laugh but got disappointed. I myself now go into this show expecting a visual and aural treat and a cynical yet interesting outlook of the ordinary life, and that's exactly what I get.

Episode 1 - 13, 7.5/10. Looking forward to the new OP and the second half of the series.
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen, slice of life