AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-08-01, 17:37   Link #841
Tenzen12

I know that Izuru is protagonist, but I hope he will not solve everything by Stue/Seed mode by himself and hog all screen time.

I like it most for it's group dynamics, if that's gone...
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 18:47   Link #842
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think that what we might be seeing is that Izuru is the better ace pilot, but that Asagi is the better tactical leader. Asagi's strength is that he's able to be brutally honest with himself about his strengths and weaknesses, as well as the strengths and weaknesses of his friends and teammates. He can be a source of calm and coordination in a sea of chaos and emotion.

That being said, it would be nice if Asagi is ultimately the guy to deal with Klein once and for all. After all, Izuru will almost certainly be the guy to deal with the toughest antagonist Jiart.

In any event, Episode 17 continues the 2nd half's excellent strength. Another great episode for Majestic Prince!
Old 2013-08-01, 19:21   Link #843
ReddyRedWolf

That's manga Izuru!

http://www.heros-web.com/works/viewe...ex.html#page=3
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 19:25   Link #844
Gundamx

I believe few page back someone upload picture from manga where manga Izuru saw anime Izuru on TV ( when they show them after their first battle )

The manga is a lot older than anime right?
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 19:45   Link #845
Excorsism

I find it funny how completely different his face is compared to the rest of the anime. An alien's within our midst!

As for episode 17, I really hope Izuru doesn't end up taking down every semi-important Wulgaru, that'd be a real hype killer, . Blue One needs to step it up some more!
Old 2013-08-01, 20:46   Link #846
Irenesharda

Well it was a good beginning part to a fight, and we see some good manuvers from all our players. However, like a majority of the battles in this series, while I think they're well animated and choreographed, I just can't really get into them.

Once again, I think it's because of the same problem this show has had since the beginning--a lack of stakes.
I'm not really that invested in any of this since I know that not one of the main characters or side characters are going to be affected by this battle. It's just fighting really for fighting's sake. What I actually hold as the most interesting is the Wulgaru background and what their plans are. The MJP and the GDF are boring, and the Fail 5 are putting me to sleep with their long emergence sequences...

Well, since as always, the Wulgaru are the most interesting, I will talk about them the most. We do see that Jiart has a plan and he's enlisted Orange Leader's help. We have identified Teoria as Jiart's little sister and the princess, who strangely, the Wulgaru didn't even know defected?! Is she someone they just ignore, so that they didn't even know she was missing? Well, that kind of sucks...
(Of course it's possible that they knew she was missing, they just didn't know where she was...)

Anyway, we have the hothead little kid Klein (Purple Leader) trying to take out everyone on his own, and he seems to be a resilient little bastard as even their strongest gun was no effect on him. We'll see where this goes in the next episode.

I hope against hope that they are able to raise the stakes with this fight so late in the series. But I won't hold my breath. I give this episode a 7.4/10.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 21:10   Link #847
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I'm not really that invested in any of this since I know that not one of the main characters or side characters are going to be affected by this battle.
I kind of get what you're saying here. I found the action scenes largely enjoyable to watch from a sheer "eye candy" perspective, but I also didn't feel much while they were going on. And yeah, I think it's because it's a bit too obvious just how thick named character plot armor is in this show (very thick indeed as we saw with Klein's survival, lol ).

This show really could have benefited from a named character death so that viewers would be less certain of the survival of other named characters. It wouldn't have to be a "Fail Five" member, but just somebody of plot significance. As much as I like Team Doberman...

Quote:
Well, since as always, the Wulgaru are the most interesting, I will talk about them the most. We do see that Jiart has a plan and he's enlisted Orange Leader's help. We have identified Teoria as Jiart's little sister and the princess, who strangely, the Wulgaru didn't even know defected?!
Yeah, that is pretty amazing.

I haven't given it a lot of thought, but my immediate thought is maybe Wulgaru society is very male-centric/dominated? So much so that a missing Princess barely registers (or at least is put way on the backburner compared to the overall war effort).

Quote:
I hope against hope that they are able to raise the stakes with this fight so late in the series.
It would really help if a named character died soon, imo. I hope that either Klein finally gets taken out next episode, or that Klein actually manages to wipe out a named protagonist.
Old 2013-08-01, 22:26   Link #848
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I kind of get what you're saying here. I found the action scenes largely enjoyable to watch from a sheer "eye candy" perspective, but I also didn't feel much while they were going on. And yeah, I think it's because it's a bit too obvious just how thick named character plot armor is in this show (very thick indeed as we saw with Klein's survival, lol ).

This show really could have benefited from a named character death so that viewers would be less certain of the survival of other named characters. It wouldn't have to be a "Fail Five" member, but just somebody of plot significance. As much as I like Team Doberman...
Do you realize that we are 3/4 of the way through this mecha war saga series and that not one person has died other than "soldier As"? I'm not sure, but I feel that should be a record.

Quote:
Yeah, that is pretty amazing.

I haven't given it a lot of thought, but my immediate thought is maybe Wulgaru society is very male-centric/dominated? So much so that a missing Princess barely registers (or at least is put way on the backburner compared to the overall war effort).
I would think that, considering how Jiart acts with his brother's concubine. However, we do see that one of the 7 noble military commanders (Yellow Leader) is female and she seems to be respected for the most part and in a place of power. However, that could possibly be the exception since it doesn't seem Teoria's mother's (the Queen Dowager?) opinion wasn't that respected.

However, this is one of those rare cases where I can actually agree with the invading alien enemy a bit. They want to save their people and did it the best way they knew how, however, their "science experiment" went out of their control and now their experiment is fighting back.

So, they happen to be a very harsh, barbaric culture right now? What culture hasn't been at one point in time? I think Teoria goes against her people unjustly. She say that everyone only thinks of themselves and they have lived without caring about others. However, if that was true, their civilization would have broken apart and fractured because of in-fighting long ago. It would have never gotten as advanced as it has, as it clearly has a hierarchy that's not only depended on battle. It also shows that siblings do care about each other, and that they do cooperate for the common good of their people.

If you think about it, the Earth forces are actually worse, since their in-fighting and desire to one-up each other, with the fact that a majority of the military is either incompetent or absent, you can see that the Wulgaru actually act better as a unit, which is the major reason why they win so much.

This is actually a battle for survival for both groups, and in all actuality no group is really better than the other. The Wulgaru want to destroy the humans to continue their survival, while the humans are fighting them for their own survival.
And neither group is really taking the time to communicate with the other.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-08-01, 23:21   Link #849
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Do you realize that we are 3/4 of the way through this mecha war saga series and that not one person has died other than "soldier As"? I'm not sure, but I feel that should be a record.
SRW main characters almost rarely died.
Old 2013-08-02, 05:51   Link #850
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
I definitely don't agree on statement that killing some characters will spice thing up. It won't bring anything to this show, especially not ''realism'' that everyone is hungry about. This show's drama was light from the vary beginning and I don't want themes, that just happens in every 2nd anime to suddenly kick this one in the teeth and make the show go 180% different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
SRW main characters almost rarely died.
Thats why SRW has such a huge cast. And you don't see anyone complaining ether.
Old 2013-08-02, 06:15   Link #851
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Cloud View Post
It pretty much makes the Steel Dragons a badass army.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-02, 16:00   Link #852
bastek66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
I believe few page back someone upload picture from manga where manga Izuru saw anime Izuru on TV ( when they show them after their first battle )

The manga is a lot older than anime right?
They are probably different group of clones.
Old 2013-08-02, 18:20   Link #853
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Cloud View Post
I definitely don't agree on statement that killing some characters will spice thing up.
Of course it would spice things up. Without any named character death, the stakes of the battles are lower. So the intensity of the battles is less impressive because viewers are more certain that nobody of plot importance will die. There's much less reason for the combat to put you on the edge of your seat.

Quote:
especially not ''realism'' that everyone is hungry about.
You can't have real "hot" war without people dying. And if a "hot war" narrative goes out of its way to have only nameless grunts dying, it eventually starts to feel very contrived. So having some named character death in a show focusing on war definitely makes it more believable and realistic.

Quote:
This show's drama was light from the vary beginning
Given that the opening scene of the 1st episode involves the Wulgaru slaughtering nameless human soldiers, I don't think I would agree with that. This show isn't classic Gundam, but it has plenty of heavy drama all the same.

Quote:
and I don't want themes,
Wow... just wow. So is all that you're interested in mindless entertainment?

Quote:
Plenty of people dislike huge casts.
Old 2013-08-02, 22:06   Link #854
Irenesharda

I have to agree. The fact that there is no lasting consequences takes interest away from the fight for me. I don't really gravitate towards fights or battle that are just there to be there. This battle have had no winners and no losers, it's simple a recycled formula with no end. Jiart fights Izuru, Izuru fights Jiart, a few words are said, and then both go home so that they can fight another day. Nothing has changed because of the fight, so why should I care?

And it's not just main characters, but none of the cast has truly been changed by this war. They can talk about all the statistics they want, but until they make the main cast and thus the audience feel it, it has no impact.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-08-02, 23:38   Link #855
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Maybe not having an impact is the point. The point might not sit well with you, but if the scriptwright is aiming for it, more power to her.

It might cost the series a sequel or good BD sales, but I like the way things are going atm.
Old 2013-08-03, 11:27   Link #856
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Lol, why did you quote me when I said that I disagree. You're countering your subjective opinion with my own... to what end? None of us are wrong. But alright...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
You can't have real "hot" war without people dying. And if a "hot war" narrative goes out of its way to have only nameless grunts dying, it eventually starts to feel very contrived. So having some named character death in a show focusing on war definitely makes it more believable and realistic.
The only way to make it ''hot'' would be if Asagi, Kei or someone from the main cast died. That would enhance your realism factor. And hell, killing them all by the end would probably be the realistic thing ever. Killing Team Doberman on this point would prove nothing except the fact that someone died on the good side or to be a catalyst for someone to go ape-shit crazy in the battlefield. So we can go without that.

And I repeat myself, killing someone doesn't have to make the series look better. You have show where quite a few characters died and a show sucked and a show where most/all survived and the show was great. Vandread for example. All of the cast survive, and there was quite a few episodes with serious drama in it. So why did the people like it? Because of it's presentation and atmosphere. The show can have amazing set pieces and scenes that are so enjoyable and none of them include death.

Quote:
Given that the opening scene of the 1st episode involves the Wulgaru slaughtering nameless human soldiers, I don't think I would agree with that.
Killing nameless characters have been featured in all kinds of genre. You have Muv-Luv Total Eclipse where first two episode were total bloodshed and by the end of the series none of the good guys died, even side characters. And when I said Light drama I didn't mean heavy comedy, dude.

Quote:
Wow... just wow. So is all that you're interested in mindless entertainment?
Just because I have subjective opinion on one show you're asking me if I have the same opinion for every other one? Wow... just wow. And If I used your logic I would now say that you only like shows where people die? Funny...

Quote:
Plenty of people dislike huge casts.
And a lot of them also like. What's your point, I was throwing a name of the show where your ''mindless entertainment'', as you name it, was enough for people to like it. And I wouldn't call it mindless, there is actually story in it but whatever...
Old 2013-08-05, 15:49   Link #857
dmaxzero

Is not necessary to kill a main characters, but this series has the issue that all this grandiose battles are costless. Nobody dies, nobody suffers. Just a bunch of nameless people that are there to be killed in a massive explosion. The 5 fail dont feel a thing fighting and killing, they dont even get tired, besides their particular personal issues, but its all almost comic relief.

So this series suffers from it, all in all the story is not that bad. It has cool moments. But a little compromise of the main characters would have make it a killer one.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 16:20   Link #858
Tenzen12

You watching wrong show, this is not Gundam. It doesn't trying to be realistic by killing people, but by showing how they live instead.

Unless some especialy brilliant writing it would hurt story greatly instead improving right now, simply because IT'S NOT THAT TYPE OF SHOW.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 17:44   Link #859
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Who cares about named-characters’ deaths when you have an enjoyable story and one of the best CGI mecha-fights in anime history? In fact, named-characters' deaths have become so common in mecha anime that it's nothing special anymore. Plus, if you don't execute it properly, named-character's deaths and the angst caused by them won't help the show, just look at Gundam AGE .
Old 2013-08-05, 18:18   Link #860
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxzero View Post
Is not necessary to kill a main characters, but this series has the issue that all this grandiose battles are costless. Nobody dies, nobody suffers. Just a bunch of nameless people that are there to be killed in a massive explosion. The 5 fail dont feel a thing fighting and killing, they dont even get tired, besides their particular personal issues, but its all almost comic relief.

So this series suffers from it, all in all the story is not that bad. It has cool moments. But a little compromise of the main characters would have make it a killer one.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Who cares about named-characters’ deaths when you have an enjoyable story and one of the best CGI mecha-fights in anime history? In fact, named-characters' deaths have become so common in mecha anime that it's nothing special anymore.
Of course named-characters' death has become common in mecha anime. Because without it, viewers start to notice what Irenesharda, dmaxzero, and myself have noticed for this show. And that's that named-character plot armor is rather thick, so why care about the fights when nothing is likely to change with them anyway?

Let me use a point of comparison here. I think you've seen Valvrave.

Spoiler for Major Valvrave spoilers, for comparison purposes:

Tags
action, actual mecha action, comedy, mecha, science fiction