AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Old 2010-06-24, 22:34   Link #1261
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

So what?

At least we're getting more episodes, just like you guys wanted. Don't expect it to be your way, though. >_>
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 22:38   Link #1262
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
I beg your pardon?
Well excluding the guns + hand sonics + (you get what i mean).

I mean like in this world. How many times have people taken things for granted? Once things start to fall apart, people are quick to put all the blame on God (like Yuri).

Also, when you have someone like Kanade who is very reserved to herself because she doesn't bother in making new friends (because they would disappear). Again, very realistic, especially when I see people sitting away in corners by themselves in school because of bullying and etc.

And here you have Otonashi, who like Terry Fox has something drastic happen to him, decides to shape his life for the purpose of helping others but circumstances/fate gives it a different turn, but both leave behind a legacy for which others can follow.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 01:01   Link #1263
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark998 View Post
Fanservice episode?
Please god no. The anime already got cheated by only getting 13 episodes, can this extra please shed some light on the darker corners of the story, of which there are a lot of?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 02:36   Link #1264
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Let's just stop assuming for now. Look at the date: December 22, 2010.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 08:54   Link #1265
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Kanade After? I would cry in joy if this happens!

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 17:30   Link #1266
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth

Send a message via MSN to K3cT
Jun Maeda is the principal writer for this series right? Then it can't be good.
K3cT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 17:35   Link #1267
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post
Jun Maeda is the principal writer for this series right? Then it can't be good.
Hm? Have you played Clannad, Little Busters, or Air? At least seen the corresponding anime?

I hope I misinterpreted you, and if so, then please excuse me.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 03:29   Link #1268
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth

Send a message via MSN to K3cT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Hm? Have you played Clannad, Little Busters, or Air? At least seen the corresponding anime?

I hope I misinterpreted you, and if so, then please excuse me.
No, I meant what I wrote.

I didn't really want to touch anything KEY again after After Story as it's the same overblown melodrama again presented in a slightly different manner. I tried watching the first 3 episodes of Angel Beats! and I already knew that this is pretty much KEY's Standard Operating Procedure.
K3cT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 03:32   Link #1269
Aaerul

The last episode is getting bashed quite severely in the Ep13 thread. But overall I really enjoyed this show.

In order to enjoy this series, you really have to throw logic out the window. It is not meant to be a series that has all the dots connected for you at the end. It's much more of a touchy-feely show. If you do not immediately gravitate to Otonashi's kindness or Yuri's inner struggles as a leader, then this show is not for you. It's melodramatic so get your popcorn, pump up the speakers and enjoy - for goodness sake. Don't overanalysis or It will cost you the show. The theme of redemption is presented very clearly in this show, see it and feel it with your heart.
Aaerul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 04:10   Link #1270
pampz21
ShipCore

I love Angel Beats! I will nevah forget you!

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 05:06   Link #1271
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Oh, so it's going to be a Christmas special then.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 05:20   Link #1272
Attoney

My view on the anime, and the message Jun Maeda is trying to send across. Hopefully, this will clear up some confusion and misunderstanding some people have about this anime.

Spoiler for Long text:
Attoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 06:12   Link #1273
Aaerul

I like how you've got a lot of interesting observations in your long paragraphs. But man those sentences don't flow. Very hard to read so I had to give up 2/3 way.

I really like that Yui observation. Her episode had no OP or ED that I can recall.

Also in Angel Beats, it seems that adversity is never permanent. The enemy keeps changing, the plot keeps twisting but the fundamentals of the high school will always remain the same. PEOPLE's views change. People's views clash with others' views. Some are radical (matrix reload guy, Naoi). Others are benign (Yui).

The reason why the show never locks down on one particular plot point and develops from there is because it doesn't believe its afterlife setting has one. Maybe it is a little bit like what Attorney was saying, that it is a statement on existentialism. Personally I would not make so many jumps of logic regarding existentialism and all. Not all symbology in Angel Beats needs to be 1:1 in representation of another facet of real life. Having read most of Maeda's works, he is not a writer that is capable of organizing all of his thoughts to that degree of literary brilliance (He IS an eroge writer after all). To me, All symbolism needs to do, is to create a 'feeling'. I do not 'feel' that the haphazard storyline and constant plot twists were altogether meaningless, intentional or not.
Aaerul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 12:28   Link #1274
dark998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosign View Post
The last episode is getting bashed quite severely in the Ep13 thread. But overall I really enjoyed this show.

In order to enjoy this series, you really have to throw logic out the window. It is not meant to be a series that has all the dots connected for you at the end. It's much more of a touchy-feely show. If you do not immediately gravitate to Otonashi's kindness or Yuri's inner struggles as a leader, then this show is not for you. It's melodramatic so get your popcorn, pump up the speakers and enjoy - for goodness sake. Don't overanalysis or It will cost you the show. The theme of redemption is presented very clearly in this show, see it and feel it with your heart.
Not so bashed if you check the rating poll. As usual, the complainers are more loud than anything else.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 12:47   Link #1275
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosign View Post
I really like that Yui observation. Her episode had no OP or ED that I can recall.
Yui had her special OP when she was opting to take over for Iwasawa early on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sZIw9M7XDU

...and the ED for when she disappeared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yabov2zWmRw
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 18:53   Link #1276
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attoney View Post
My view on the anime, and the message Jun Maeda is trying to send across. Hopefully, this will clear up some confusion and misunderstanding some people have about this anime.

Spoiler for Long text:
I like your character summary how you gave meaning to them
Old 2010-06-26, 22:18   Link #1277
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attoney View Post

Spoiler for Long text:
Okay so what about my waifu when she gains her wings? Are they referring to a contradiction which people actually do respect and look up to?

In the last episode, it seems that she does have a zealous nature (pun unintended) when it comes to friendship, making her more ordinary than not. And somehow, she helps to free others from their ties to their previous life, so she represents something like......the wings of liberty? (Again, pun unintended.)

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 22:41   Link #1278
Attoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Okay so what about my waifu when she gains her wings? Are they referring to a contradiction which people actually do respect and look up to?

In the last episode, it seems that she does have a zealous nature (pun unintended) when it comes to friendship, making her more ordinary than not. And somehow, she helps to free others from their ties to their previous life, so she represents something like......the wings of liberty? (Again, pun unintended.)
I always thought Kanade created her wings based on Yuzuru request to make her look more angelic, and the director's attempt to increase her moe level.

Kanade was always enthusiastic about about friendship. She just didn't know how to create ties with other people. It doesn't matter if you cared deeply about friendship, if you cannot even make friends in the first place. It is only when Yuzuru befriended her, and help her create ties with the other members of the SSS does she start to show a more friendly and caring side.

She can represent the wings of liberty. As a matter of fact, many of the characters can represent something different than what i have posted because of subjectivity. I chose what the character best represented for me in relation to what I think the show is trying tell the viewers.
Attoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 05:34   Link #1279
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark998 View Post
Not so bashed if you check the rating poll. As usual, the complainers are more loud than anything else.
Asuki polls are never good barometers in representing how good a series is. A series can be horribly directed and written and still gain 10s (Code Geass R2 comes to mind), while a good series can get 5s (Natsume Yuujincho).

And yes, I'm one of those that found Angel Beats entertaining, but very flawed in terms of execution. One would have to be blind not to see the issues inherent in the series. Well, either that or a diehard Key/Maeda fan.
Old 2010-06-27, 14:50   Link #1280
bite_the_bullet
Biting bullets hurts Xo

I really enjoyed this because it sort of incorporated alot of different genres like supernatural, comedy, action, drama, moe well you get the picture which I really enjoyed about it because in one episode they could have funny plot lines slapstick and then next have a dramatic eye watering episode. This way you weren't exactly getting bored of the storyline and skip to the last episode which I have done. I've probably knocked the flow of this thread completely off course but this was something I couldn't not leave a reply on.
bite_the_bullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key