AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2015-11-22, 04:04   Link #1
Iron Maw
Banned

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC/Sora no Kiseki [PSP & VITA/PC/Stream]

Official site

Quote:
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter originally known as Eiyū Densetsu VI Sora no Kiseki SC (英雄伝説VI 空の軌跡 SC) in Japan, is the second of three games in the Trails in the Sky sub-series of the The Legend of Heroes series of role-playing video games. Initially released in 2006 for Microsoft Windows and 2007 for the PlayStation Portable in Japan, the game has taken substantially longer to release in English regions due to the massive quantity of text to translate in both Second Chapter and its predecessor, First Chapter. Initially scheduled for a 2014 North American release, its size, among other complications, led to its delay into 2015. The English version was finally released on October 29, 2015, on the PlayStation Network for the PlayStation Portable and PlayStation Vita, Steam, and GOG.com. Japanese-only high-definition versions were also released, including a HD port to the PlayStation 3 in 2013, and a HD remake for the Vita in 2015.
Alright this came about month ago in somewhat of low-key manner compared to usual big name titles, but of something of this quality it deserves as much attention as any of them do.

Anyway, It's nice to return to Liberl after the 5 year long awaited localization of one of the biggest blueballing cliffhangers I and many others have ever experienced.

I'm currently in chapter 4 which is about halfway though, but personal impressions have been really good so far. The game pretty begins literally the day after FC ended and does a good job at easing the player back in the swing of things. Partially because very little has changed about the overall game mechanics from FC outside the very welcome Chain Crafts (2-4 person combo attacks). Pacing wise this a lot better than FC since spreads it's high and low moments are spread much more evenly instead of tossing all of the former near the end of game. You get most of your main party fairly early and for most part you more control over makeup of you active group. To be honest is it's as much as the 2nd half of the first game as it is a sequel really and yet despite that it still manages to feel fresh and charming as ever did.

Spoiler for Beginning of Chapter 4:

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-11-22 at 04:36. Reason: added link
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-22, 04:44   Link #2
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Just finished it a couple of weeks ago I think.. and yeah it's a pretty good game. I would probably jump to TC now but after getting fed up with the old battle system I decided to wait for TC EVO instead I'm jumping to Zero EVO right now but probably will try to focus on Disgaea first

The battle is still pretty fun on hard if you can manage to pass the prologue, but it's still pretty dated Also I like how they keep all the NPCs pretty much alive in this game. You can probably talk to random people and somehow remember who he/she is when you meet them again because they tend to be unique even with their generic 3d model

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-22, 08:05   Link #3
marvelB

Already purchased it, but I haven't actually gotten started on it yet because I'm still in the middle of doing NG+ on Tokyo Xanadu, heh. I'll definitely get right on it once I get that particular bit of business over with, though! And then there's the upcoming localization of Sen/Cold Steel to look forward to, as well..... geez, Falcom's pretty much gonna dominate my life over the next few months, lol.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-23, 16:10   Link #4
Iron Maw
Banned

I think I'm nearing the end of ch4 now. I really wish there some way you inactive part members could exp though, especially when you end one half you group over leveled. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
Just finished it a couple of weeks ago I think.. and yeah it's a pretty good game. I would probably jump to TC now but after getting fed up with the old battle system I decided to wait for TC EVO instead I'm jumping to Zero EVO right now but probably will try to focus on Disgaea first

The battle is still pretty fun on hard if you can manage to pass the prologue, but it's still pretty dated Also I like how they keep all the NPCs pretty much alive in this game.
Agreed in general, but I think it holds up pretty well overall. Especially for something from 13 years ago. I didn't bother with hard since some of what heard sounded unbalanced (as to say nothing about Nightmare difficultly) and felt that Normal difficulty was reasonably challenging. Plus the Prologue chapter boss was enough of a pain on Normal. =/

Oddly enough, from watching the SC evolution it looks like he's been toned down.

I hope we get TC here too (as well the evolution versions of the Liberl Arc eventually) in whatever forms. Both the revamped FC and SC look pretty good. And we always need more Kevin.

Quote:
You can probably talk to random people and somehow remember who he/she is when you meet them again because they tend to be unique even with their generic 3d model
It helps that they have names and you meet some of them i various places. It's one of the many little things this series does make it's world feel alive and authentic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Already purchased it, but I haven't actually gotten started on it yet because I'm still in the middle of doing NG+ on Tokyo Xanadu, heh. I'll definitely get right on it once I get that particular bit of business over with, though! And then there's the upcoming localization of Sen/Cold Steel to look forward to, as well..... geez, Falcom's pretty much gonna dominate my life over the next few months, lol.
I'm in a somewhat similar boat. I probably would have been much further a long of wasn't so busy and paranoid about missables in his game.

I'm Disgaea 5 on hold myself as at this rate it's gonna take me months to finish. I can at least me myself getting through SC before CS drops.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-11-23 at 20:30.
Old 2015-11-25, 11:55   Link #5
Iron Maw
Banned

Whelp, ch 4 down now!

Pretty good chapter, which offered surprising solid character development for Estelle. Which is weird since I thought that this part would give more background on Schera (well beyond her known relationship with the Bright family) since she has history with it's antagonist this time. Estelle sort does too, but they were largely acquaintances in comparison. But I suspect they will get into that later.

Ouroboros scenes as usual are always interesting (and ominous). I do like that despite fact they clearly are on the moral bankrupted side of the scale the group is not without humanizing moments for their members. The Cassius and Russel stuff was cool too.

Post chapter-wise, the sidequest with Anton was absolutely hilarious. They really did drag Aina out into in bar, but as expected that "confession" wasn't going anywhere once the drinking contest started. Oliver really stole the show here through.

Those really great way to do sidequests, and shame more RPGs don't do that kinds involve side content nowadays opposite monster hunts. The do lot for connecting and relating the player to game's world. Not that Trails doesn't have it's share of monster hunts and fetch quests, but their far from the majority and balanced better ratio-wise to more interesting ones.

On sidenote, I have far too many sepith fragments now. SC has been super generous with them to point I have all, but two element types maximum capacity. It wasn't like this in FC at all.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-11-25 at 13:48.
Old 2015-12-03, 23:54   Link #6
Iron Maw
Banned

Middle of Ch7 now and it's pretty much safe to say that shit has really hit the fan.

I must say that lead up to this point was great (especially everything that literally happened in Ch 6), and there is still more to come.

On another note I finally got use for all the sepith I've been collecting again (I have 9999 of every type except for Space) besides converting them into mira now that Lv3 Slot Upgrades have been unlocked! The EP boost from that is crazy though.

BTW, new SC Evolution trailer:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2015-12-04, 10:44   Link #7

Just started chapter 3, all this npc texts and their updates is preventing me from advancing the story.

MUST TALK TO ALL THE NPCS!
5596050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-09, 01:26   Link #8
Iron Maw
Banned

Think that is bad? Wait until you get to chapter 8.

Anyway, I gotta to say that Ch7's end boss is by far the most vicious non-superboss I have even encountered for the sheer virtue of fact you can die literally within as the battle begins.

Even if you manage to survive the initial onslaught you still have an uphill battle. But worst part is definitely the beginning.
Old 2015-12-09, 09:14   Link #9
Se7enSword
Swordsman Extraordinaire

Yeah, I have to talk to everyone in chapter 8, and i'm glad I did! Got a certain upgrade out of it.

Never change, Falcom.
Old 2015-12-19, 14:05   Link #10
Iron Maw
Banned

Man the climax and end of chapter 8 was hype! Definitely makes me more interested in Cold Steel more that I already was. The FMV at the start of chapter 9 was pretty cool too.

Anyway time for what I presume is the final dungeon.

BTW, a protip: Ch 8 point of no return for sidequests in Grancel is definitely whatever Bracer Gild branch you decided to leave for last. So make you do you need to do here before heading off to last region.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-12-19 at 14:23.
Old 2015-12-19, 14:16   Link #11
Se7enSword
Swordsman Extraordinaire

The infodump in Chapter 9 is amazing! It surpasses chapter 8 even more, and i'm still at the beginning of it.
Old 2015-12-19, 14:28   Link #12
Iron Maw
Banned

I've barely just got out of ship on my self.

BTW:
Spoiler for minor spoilers:
Old 2015-12-19, 14:57   Link #13
Se7enSword
Swordsman Extraordinaire

Yup!

Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2015-12-22, 01:35   Link #14
Se7enSword
Swordsman Extraordinaire

Finished Trails in the Sky SC today!

Just in time for Cold Steel. Last chapter was phenomenal!
Old 2015-12-24, 02:40   Link #15
Iron Maw
Banned

Whew! Just finally finished myself, though sadly a day late for Cold Steel's release, but meh.

Great game though. I would have liked the ending to be a tad longer, but pretty good overall.

My final party ended consisting of Estelle, Joshua, Agate and Kevin. Good thing too since this was actually the most plot relevant as it turned out with all the foreshadow coming to ahead here (Kevin's role here is especially interesting). I also like how the ending served as both a finale and not at very sametime. It's very much the type of thing were one comes a way with the feeling that the "battle was won, but the war is just beginning" so of thing. Still pretty satisfactory.

Well onward to CS!

I do have one question though:

Spoiler for speculation:

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-12-24 at 02:53.
Old 2015-12-24, 02:58   Link #16
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Whew! Just finally finished myself, though sadly a day late for Cold Steel's release, but meh.

Great game though. I would have liked the ending to be a tad longer, but pretty good overall.

My final party ended consisting of Estelle, Joshua, Agate and Kevin. Good thing too since this was actually the most plot relevant as it turned out with all the foreshadow coming to ahead here (Kevin's role here is especially interesting). I also like how the ending served as both a finale and not at very sametime. It's very much the type of thing were one comes a way with the feeling that the "battle was won, but the war is just beginning" so of thing. Still pretty satisfactory.

Well onward to CS!

I do have one question though:

Spoiler for speculation:
Yeah, you can see more here http://eiyuutrans.blogspot.tw/2013/0...e-project.html but that has The 3rd spoilers so if you don't mind it, you should read it. Hopefully it'll get translated too in later future but for now I'm just waiting for EVO so that I can actually play the game

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-24, 03:06   Link #17
Iron Maw
Banned

Nice find! Thanks for the link and clarification.
Old 2015-12-24, 03:54   Link #18
Se7enSword
Swordsman Extraordinaire

I didn't bring Kevin, so this is news to me

Thank you!
Old 2015-12-24, 08:45   Link #19
Iron Maw
Banned

You know now that I think about it the situation with the Aureole and Liber Ark...
Spoiler for Pyscho Pass:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enSword View Post
I didn't bring Kevin, so this is news to me

Thank you!
You're welcome. Really him and Agate are really the most fitting members for last battles for several reasons.

With Agate he still has beef with Loewe, he needs and ultimately show the former that he's found a sense of purpose. Moreso down the line during the major revelations with Weissmann it turns out he is indirectly linked with the smug assshole since responsible for all his suffering.

In Kevin's case some bits of his past come to light in his brief conversation with Loewe. Even more importantly is that he gets tons of dialogue during confrontation with Weissmann. Theses definitely bridge better in what does to Weissmann afterwards
Old 2015-12-24, 20:16   Link #20
Se7enSword
Swordsman Extraordinaire

Agate was a must for me, it's just the last member was a real tough choice to choose >_<

I went with Kloe because I was used to her.

Also, that is indeed a good comparison.

Tags
falcom, pc stream, psp, traditonal rpg, trails series, xseed